Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate (61242 Views)

NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Reacts To High Court Judgement / Why Was Adeosun Not Placed On Watchlist? Fayose Asks / Kemi Adeosun Wearing NYSC Uniform - By Joe Igbokwe (Real Or Photoshopped?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Solobliss1: 7:02pm On Jul 07, 2018
GavelSlam:

Are you sure of Pat Utomi?
And ibe kachukwu

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by nezer83: 7:02pm On Jul 07, 2018
NoDulling4here:

I suppose the only 'evidence' of forgery is that the person who signed her discharge certificate was not working in the NYSC as at the time she was supposedly discharged.

Isn't it possible that that person bulksigned discharge certificates in advance? That is a possibility.

Are u kidding me? Bulksigned after 9 months of exit from NYSC?? WOW!!!

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2018
nezer83:

Are u kidding me? Bulksigned after 9 months of exit from NYSC?? WOW!!!

Forget the bulksigned. I mean signature already printed in the certificates.

Just considering a possibility and not trying to defend the lady.

This is Nigeria.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
Ok no problem, she wasn't qualified to participate in NYSC but then why forge its certificate? undecided

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by kayjay69(m): 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
Your name and Your commentary go hand in hand really. I agree that she must be investigated and if found guilty face the law. The real issue here is that she maybe FORGED an exemption certificate not whether the law exempts her from serving. However, to say she connived with Buhari and Osinbajo to plunge the country in recession, my brother you must be suffering from delusions grandeur.

I know we are quick to castigate this administration and in some cases rightfully so but on the issue of the economy, the recession came to be mainly as a result of the plunge in oil prices. We as a country have been heavily dependent on Oil as our major revenue earner. Successive admins have tried and failed heavily to diversify our economy away from this. You may contend that the response of this govt to the recession (which would have happened regardless of who was in govt) left a little to be desired but surely you can't blame them for the recession itself.

Juliusmalema:
what a lame assertion trying to defend the garbage she obtained from East-london...

Kemi Adeosun must be investigated now and she must resign and face the full wrath of the law....
No wonder she connived with buhari and osibanjo and plunged Nigeria into recession.
.......and it even took since months to appoint this ineffectual buffoon called kemi as minister............

A minster who keeps her job on forgery........

A minster who doesn't know that 22+2 is 24.....
Her actions is unprecedented in modern day civil service and must be condemned in strong terms....
how can a low born parading a low class certificate preside over a nations finance ministry.....
No wonder all her actions bleeds ineffectiveness and Bill Gate wondered when he visited Nigeria why such a low crass educated being should be a minister...
She has forged Nigeria and Nigeria treasury up to this day...

and u have to wonder if the nations treasury is as she says or is it also forged

Adeosun should resign and go.....she represent everything fake.....
and fake must be her name onwards.....
I spit on such a shameful being.......
SACK ADEOSUN NOW....

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
I usually refrain from insulting people. Arguing against provisions of law is, I am compelled to say, plain stupid.ty.

Claiming Mrs Adeosun forged a document is an infantile heresay that no judge worth his gavel will ever admit as a shadow of evidence let alone evidence in itself.

The paper even claimed she is not entitled to Exemption and gave no legal ground except the general assumption that as a graduate she should have participated in NYSC.

Of course, there is no limit to evil in the hearts of some men.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by bewla(m): 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
Mille:
I have a question of my own.

Is NYSC mandatory for a foreign graduate who is on an "INTERNATIONAL CONTRACT" in an NGO in Nigeria?

Is it also mandatory for a similar person, but with a local contract in an NGO.

I'm asking because according to premiumtimes, NYSC is mandatory for employment in public and private sectors in Nigeria and an NGO does not conform to any of both categories.

I would appreciate an honest reply.

cc: TRUTHTOPOWER
firewalls pls
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Amacaco: 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2018
The way and manner most people lie in defense of what they clearly know is evil or wrong sometimes surprise me. Mrs Adeosun graduated with a first degree in Economics in 1989. It is her certificate at the end of academic sojourn in a university or Polytechnic that qualified her for service which she refused to do. Polytechnics that issue degree certificates are equivalents of a university.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by bewla(m): 7:16pm On Jul 07, 2018
Juliusmalema:
what a lame assertion trying to defend the garbage she obtained from East-london...

Kemi Adeosun must be investigated now and she must resign and face the full wrath of the law....
No wonder she connived with buhari and osibanjo and plunged Nigeria into recession.
.......and it even took since months to appoint this ineffectual buffoon called kemi as minister............

Her actions is unprecedented in modern day civil service and must be condemned in strong terms....
how can a low born parading a low class certificate preside over a nations finance ministry.....
No wonder all her actions bleeds ineffectiveness and Bill Gate wondered when he visited Nigeria why such a low crass educated being should be a minister...

and u have to wonder if the nations treasury is as she says or is it also forged

SACK ADEOSUN NOW....

yes I agreed she should be sack but even that guy u bill gate self no get certificate na middle class drop out
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:17pm On Jul 07, 2018
Mille:

Thank you for the answer.

So what advice would you have for someone who already works for an international NGO, has not done the NYSC and wants to be transferred to Nigeria.

Called up back then, posted to Northern Nigeria and refused to go for security reasons as an outspoken atheist.

Apply to serve in NYSC. You can do your service in the NGO.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by rejoice4eva(m): 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2018
To think that these are the incorruptible special ones that took baba go slow 6 months to chose is baffling.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nsiman(m): 7:20pm On Jul 07, 2018
An "incorruptible" government
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2018
bewla:
yes I agreed she should be sack but even that guy u bill gate self no get certificate na middle class drop out

Bill gate is a private business owner...

Adeosun is a civil servant and works for Nigeria....

Bill gate has a company and decides how to run it....not bounded by any thing...

Adeosun works for a country and has laws to bind her...Nigeria is not her company.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by lextube: 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2018
[Seequote author=TRUTHTOPOWER post=69163165]Fact. Mrs. Adeosun graduated from The East London Polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA in 1989.

The status of the polytechnic was CHANGED to a University was IN 1992.

Note the capitalised words. "OUTSIDE NIGERIA" and "CHANGE"

QUESTION FOR DETERMINATION
Whether upon graduation from a polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA, in line with section 2 (1)(c) Kemi Adeosun was required by law to participate in NYSC.

ANSWER.
Section 2 (1) (c) contains no provision or stipulation that a Polytechnic graduate outside Nigeria or a diploma holder outside Nigeria SHALL be eligible for call up to NYSC.

This is unlike UNIVERSITY GRADUATE as contained under S (1)(b)

The law is settled that inclusion of one is the exclusion of others.
Inclusio unius (est) exclusio alterius. Latin legal maxim that makes the point that where a statute, contract or other legal document includes a definitional list of items falling into a category, the inclusion of certain items on the list means that any excluded items are intentionally outside the definition. Simple Wiki definition.

Since this is a legal matter, a serious news agency ought to seek opinion of lawyers on whether Mrs Adeosun is under strict legal obligation to participate in NYSC as graduate of a polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA

References
Requirement of NYSC Act

2 (1) (b)If, at the end of the academic year 1974–75 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent year, he shall have graduated at any university outside Nigeria; or

(C) if, at the end of the academic year 1975–76 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent year, he shall have obtained the Higher National Diploma or such other professional qualification as may be prescribed;

Exemption

2 (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, with effect from 1 August 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification—

(a) he is over the age of thirty; or
[/quote]

So why did she go ahead to forge an exemption letter from NYSC ? Is that not a crime on it's own? Your argument is very lame to be sincere. Well I just hope somebody should drag this to court. If she's a citizen of this great country, she should not be above the law.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by AskProf: 7:28pm On Jul 07, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
Then why did she forge(if proven to be) one?

One Smirnoff for you.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by izzou(m): 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
Then why did she forge(if proven to be) one?

Now, this is patriotic.

Thank you for asking this million dollar question. Thank you Ngene

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by tempest01(m): 7:30pm On Jul 07, 2018
GavelSlam:
If she falls foul of any law she should be sacked forthwith.

E be like say BMC don decide for group chat to drop this woman to fate...This one you and ngeneukwenu no dey defend.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by GavelSlam: 7:34pm On Jul 07, 2018
tempest01:

E be like say BMC don decide for group chat to drop this woman to fate...This one you and ngene no dey defend.

If I be BMC you be TMC.

As a Nigerian I'm more interested in the rule of Law and national interest.

Unlike many of you who are blinkered by ethnic and religious bigotry, when you see people who are more concerned about nation building give us respect and stop your idiocy.

Same way you guys always attack Oby Ezekwesili.

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by aribisala0(m): 7:42pm On Jul 07, 2018
TRUTHTOPOWER:

The fact I know is the fact presumed by law: she is innocent until accusers produce credible evidence videos, records or eyewitnesses of the process of forgery.

Convictions are not secured by hatred or wailing.

This I agree with that 100 hundred percent

But this is more political than legal.
As I have pointed out severally even political detractors cannot make capital from this because they all have done the same and they all know this.
e.g Okonjo-Iweala got her first degree aged 22 in 1976 and the NYSC decree came into force in 1973. She appears never to have returned to Nigeria to serve.
We had a thread in 2011 on the same issue with Dieziani_Allison and it was covered up by government so I expect this to be covered up.

The only conviction that would happen would be a moral and political one
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 07, 2018
TRUTHTOPOWER:
Fact. Mrs. Adeosun graduated from The East London Polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA in 1989.

Whether upon graduation from a polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA, in line with section 2 (1)(c) Kemi Adeosun was required by law to participate in NYSC.

ANSWER.
Section 2 (1) (c) contains no provision or stipulation that a Polytechnic graduate outside Nigeria or a diploma holder outside Nigeria SHALL be eligible for call up to NYSC.

Inclusio unius (est) exclusio alterius. Latin legal maxim that makes the point that where a statute, contract or other legal document includes a definitional list of items falling into a category, the inclusion of certain items on the list means that any excluded items are intentionally outside the definition. Simple Wiki definition.

Since this is a legal matter, a serious news agency ought to seek opinion of lawyers on whether Mrs Adeosun is under strict legal obligation to participate in NYSC as graduate of a polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA

References
Requirement of NYSC Act

2 (1) (b)If, at the end of the academic year 1974–75 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent year, he shall have graduated at any university outside Nigeria; or

(C) if, at the end of the academic year 1975–76 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent year, he shall have obtained the Higher National Diploma or such other professional qualification as may be prescribed;

Exemption

2 (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, with effect from 1 August 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification—

my friend please stop talking nonsense legal jargon.

The bottom line is this

1. if she wasnt required why did she bother getting an exemption?

2. whether she was exempted or not, the fact that she sought to forge an exemption (if it was forged as alleged) speaks to moral character and an attempt to circumvent the law as she though at the time.

3. Nigerians must start to distinguish between legally and morally right/wrong. Saraki for instance was cleared by the courts but we all know he is not clean, so also Jagaban, so are many members of PDP.

4. In a sane society, people resign over association with armed robbers and dodgy certificates but here they preside over our top law making body and preside over our finances.

5. Many of us fiddle our NYSC postings but the difference is we are not minister of finance in charge of public purse. People who occupy such position have to be beyond reproach or else they are open to blackmail and compromise.

6. We can keep making excuses for these people because they are from our side of the divide whether religious political or tribe but the truth is so long as we make esxcuses and hold them to very low standards, the country will continue to suffer.

A man went to steal only to find the money was actually his money is not a thief legally but is a thief morally. The intent was to steal!!

so please keep your NYSC act, Change and University graduate BS and shove it where the sun doesnt shine.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by aribisala0(m): 7:55pm On Jul 07, 2018
Tinubu claims to have been born in 1952 and to have graduated aged 27 in 1979 with his Chicago degree. He claims to have worked in the US and returned to Nigeria in 1983 aged 31.

Did he serve?

When where?

Photos or Adonbeleev

I could go on and on and on
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by tuniski: 8:04pm On Jul 07, 2018
Mille:

Thank you for the answer.

So what advice would you have for someone who already works for an international NGO, has not done the NYSC and wants to be transferred to Nigeria.

Called up back then, posted to Northern Nigeria and refused to go for security reasons as an outspoken atheist.
It is not a compulsory requirement for employment but, mandatory in some especially govt job.

Bottom line, it is just a way of reducing applications for the very few job openings!
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2018
TRUTHTOPOWER:
I usually refrain from insulting people. Arguing against provisions of law is, I am compelled to say, plain stupid.ty.

Claiming Mrs Adeosun forged a document is an infantile heresay that no judge worth his gavel will ever admit as a shadow of evidence let alone evidence in itself.

The paper even claimed she is not entitled to Exemption and gave no legal ground except the general assumption that as a graduate she should have participated in NYSC.

Of course, there is no limit to evil in the hearts of some men.

Premiumtimes is not a partisan publication. They would not have reported this if they did not have incontrovertible evidence. In addition to this, you have missed the other premise, this made her a chink in Buhari's armour. The man is fighting bass tooth and nail while one of his lieutenants is compromised.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by OlujobaSamuel: 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2018
BlackBaron:
The position is that 'she forged'... But if she was to take up a paid position in Nigeria, it was essential!
Or unless you own your business, then you would not care.
The loophole here is not everyone would also be able to attend higher institution which is kind of discriminatory cos its likely competent persons without a degree may be overlooked for senior positions where NYSC certificate may be required of.

An alternative is every Nigerian youth would have to serve the country at a point in their life irrespective of qualifications.
there are exemptions for service even while eligible that allows you to hold high posts withot it.
You can also work in your own firm as a corps member or for any organisation that its service is to humanity, the issue is, people dont explore the opportunity.
We have so many in appointed without it and no one queried them, but in her case, we are dealing with forgery.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2018
TRUTHTOPOWER:
Fact. Mrs. Adeosun graduated from The East London Polytechnic OUTSIDE NIGERIA in 1989.

ANSWER.

References
Requirement of NYSC Act

Exemption

Is that why she forged an NYSC certificate

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by agabaI23(m): 8:26pm On Jul 07, 2018
Truthtopower,

Polytechnics in the UK awarded undergraduate, master and phd degrees. Read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom)

She is a university graduate forget the nomenculature at the time.

Your argument won't hold water for a second

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by amarilo: 8:26pm On Jul 07, 2018
TRUTHTOPOWER:

The fact I know is the fact presumed by law: she is innocent until accusers produce credible evidence videos, records or eyewitnesses of the process of forgery.

Convictions are not secured by hatred or wailing.

Like Saraki
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by OlujobaSamuel: 8:27pm On Jul 07, 2018
offences and penalty;
(2) Any person who—
(a) under the provisions of this Act is not eligible to participate in the service corps so participates or attempts to so participate is guilty of an offence; or
(b) having served in the service corps and has been duly issued with a Certificate of National Service or certificate of exemption, as the case may be, and is not eligible to serve under the same service corps so participates or attempts to so participate is guilty of an offence, and liable on conviction to a fine of N4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of two years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
(3) Any person who fails to comply with or who contravenes or causes or aids or abets another to contravene any provision of this Act (not being a provision relating to the calling up of members of the service corps) is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N5,000 or to imprisonment for a term of three years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
(4) Any person who—
(a) in giving any information for the purposes of this Act knowingly or recklessly makes a statement which is false; or
(b) forges or uses or lends to or allows to be used other than in the manner provided by this Act by any other person any certificate issued pursuant to the provisions of this Act; or
(c) makes, or has in his possession any document so closely resembling any certificate so issued as to be calculated to deceive, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N5,000 or to imprisonment for a term of three years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by wilokoko: 8:29pm On Jul 07, 2018
Juliusmalema:

SACK ADEOSUN NOW....

only Nigerians will enter an academic competion with a primary school drop out as thier representative, knowing fully well that other contesting countries are represented by professors.And they will be convinced of winning because THEY HAVE PRAYED.....Is it a suprise that people have started burning themselves and jumpind into the lagoon in thier bid to escape the ongoing economic Armageddon?
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by KingOfAmebo(m): 8:31pm On Jul 07, 2018
TRUTHTOPOWER:

You mean forge a right she already has by law? All she needs to show is her application for exemption. NYSC is the one to explain the mix up. And to appologise for causing her any embarrassment. It is her legal right.

Mr Defender, you seem to have forgotten that there are two cases involved here.

1. If she is legally right to qualify for NYSC exemption.

2. If she indeed forged her NYSC certificate.

Case 1 will be of no use even if she wins but getting out of case 2 will require 1million lawyers to defend her, last time I checked FORGERY is a very serious crime.

If she indeed forged her certificate it wouldn't matter if she is legally qualified for exemption or not, so please save your energy defending the indefensible.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by khalidx: 8:44pm On Jul 07, 2018
[quote author=Juliusmalema post=69163322]what a lame assertion trying to defend the garbage she obtained from East-london...

SACK ADEOSUN NOW....
Funny enough with her garbage she's still the finance minister.
Take a chill pill.

[/quoteFunny enough with her garbage she's still the finance minister.
Take a chill pill.
Re: NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate by ivandragon: 8:51pm On Jul 07, 2018
NoDulling4here:

Forget the bulksigned. I mean signature already printed in the certificates.

Just considering a possibility and not trying to defend the lady.

This is Nigeria.

its not done in NYSC or most government run organisations.

the moment such organisation changes leadership, all documents signed after that date of handover will be done by the new head.

its same with university certificates. if a person graduates in say 1999 but the certificate was not prepared till 2018, that certificate will bear the signature of the VC as at 2018 & not the VC as at 1999...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of Iara Oshiomhole At Obaseki's Campaign With Okorocha & Others / CNN's Second Report On Lekki Shooting (Video) / Throwback Picture Of Governor Hope Uzodinma Of Imo State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.