Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,320 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo (14061 Views)

The Impact Of Benny Hinn’s Rejection Of The Prosperity Gospel In Africa / What Are The Things You Will Like Your Church To Change? / Living Faith Church To Construct Four Lane Express From Lafenwa To Ayobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by uchennamani(m): 11:21am On Jul 08, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THE IMPACT OF CHURCHES VS THE IMPACT OF FOOTBALL VIEWING CENTERS TO THE ECONOMY.

- CHURCH PROVIDES EMPLOYMENT. VERY GOOD. VIEWING CENTER EMPLOY PEOPLE AS WELL. (BOARD MAN, CLEANERS, ELECTRICIANS, SECURITY, ETC).

- CHURCH GIVES AND TAKES.
CHURCH GIVES YOU THE "ABSOLUTE TRUTH" OF YOUR FAVORITE DEITY, AND TAKES YOUR TIME, ENERGY, TITHES, OFFERING, DONATIONS, EMOTIONS, ETC.
VIEWING CENTER GIVES YOU THE MATCH YOU WANT TO WATCH AND TAKES ONLY 50 - 100 NAIRA FROM YOU, DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCATION.

- YOU MIGHT WANT TO ARGUE THAT CHURCH HELPS TO BUILD PEOPLE SPIRITUALLY, AND ENSURE TO LEAD THEM TO HEAVEN. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE AS WITH JUST A SINGLE DOSE OF COMMON SENSE IT BECOMES EASY TO REALIZE THAT CHURCH IS NOTHING BUT A BUSINESS CENTER WHICH THRIVES ON THE FEAR, EMOTIONS, AND GULLIBILITY OF HUMANS. SELLS THEM FAKE TALES FROM THE ANCIENT AGE ABOUT HELL AND HEAVEN, AND TAKES AWAY THEIR MONEY AND FREEDOM.
VIEWING CENTER WINS IT ON THIS ONE BECAUSE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING REALISTIC - A FOOTBALL OR WRESTLING MATCH AND YOU LEAVE WHENEVER YOU WANT.. NO THREATS OR ANY FORM OF GUILT TRAPPING.

- PRAYING IN A CHURCH AND PRAYING IN A VIEWING CENTER IS THE SAME THING.
THIS IS NOT BECAUSE YOUR PREFERRED DEITY IS OMNIPRESENT. EVIDENCE COLLECTED FROM EVERY PART OF THE EARTH SHOWS THAT MEGATONS OF PRAYERS ARE INCAPABLE OF DOING NOTHING. SO PRAYING TO JESUS IN A CHAPEL OR PRAYING TO KHRISNA IN A TEMPLE, OR PRAYING TO HULK HOGAN IN A VIEWING CENTER WILL CERTAINLY GUARANTEE THE SAME RESULT. NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT.

THE IMPORTANCE OF CHURCH TO THE ECONOMY WOULD BE OUTWEIGHED TEN TIMES IF WE DARE COMPARE TO A BEER PARLOR OR A BROTHEL. SO THIS THREAD HAS NO PURPOSE.
Nice analysis. I'm glad there there are people like you in this country. Thumbs up man.

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Tylertrillz(m): 11:22am On Jul 08, 2018
Nackzy:
Church is business in Nigeria, it pays more than yahoo
Dunno what to say o.... But it seems true, Expecially if you want to refer to protestant churches
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by CAPSLOCKED: 11:22am On Jul 08, 2018
massive1019:
you are what you read, write and listen to. keep it up brother. your eyes will be opened one day...it may be in life or in death.

OH..
I'M REALLY SCARED NOW. I'M TERRIFIED. SAVE ME!

4 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Aboguede(m): 11:23am On Jul 08, 2018
OP.
Yes you are correct but I will also like us to understand that the church is an organization and it makes profits.

How many times do thieves and arm rubbers disturb the church? I tell you, thieves Don't usually disturb the church not because they are afraid but because the state has always supported and protected the church.

You see, leave God out of this, how many times has politicians played with the church? Not many despict their hunger for power.

All over the world, the church does all what you have listed and still pay tax exempt Nigeria.

During Jesus time, the church paid heavy tax and still do more than they do today in terms of social welfare.

The church is a very profit making business and also enjoys highest tax cut but not tax exemption
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by adeneeyee: 11:23am On Jul 08, 2018
goldmatrix:
Same as mosques are able to produce and employ new bombers daily. That's the advantages of mosques.

Your brain is as empty as a POPCORN. You needs brain scanner. Ndi araa

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Daeylar(f): 11:23am On Jul 08, 2018
AntiGod:
[s][/s]
shocked shocked

" I don't tire for this nonsense "? shocked grin

LMAO grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by freshtimi(m): 11:26am On Jul 08, 2018
Very dumb write up... So the church does not owe the masses for all the moneys taken from them in the pretence of tithes and offerings for the Lord wey them dey use run there own business and personal lives.... All pastors are thieves.. Whether u agree or not, ur conscience sef ll prick u once a yl
Joyfulguy:
Let us take a little time to consider the impact of the church to the growth of the economy and its role in the reduction of unemployment in the Nigerian society. Most people may never have anything good to write about the modern Nigerian church because of the way it has presented itself overtime, but still we have to consider some of its advantageous input to the growth of the economy.

A young man who dedicated time to serving in the local church as a member of the technical unit without any idea of it, is now operating a Light and sound company by himself and has been able to employ several others to work for him. He installs lighting systems and also sets sound systems for big churches, event halls, open air programs, school occasions and other areas where these services are needed. He earns more than a bank manager and his staffs earn more than bank workers. Remember! He joined the church technical unit with zero idea about sound and lighting.

It is not out place to see big musical artiste who are doing well and in the society all having a similar testimony of starting from the church choir and then picking up a career in music and instrumentation, and now they are forces to reckon with because they have been able to establish themselves and be a blessing to others. Considering the amount of youths that are being paid by music in the society, we see that it has reduced unemployment within the range of 20%, and these people owe their gratitude to the local church where they started from. It wasn't just about them being in the local church choir, we have also seen how churches invest so much time and resources in training and grooming music ministers, making sure musicals equipment are available, organizing seminars and inviting music tutors to lecture choristers, even go as far as sending some to music schools for proper training. Most of these choristers have gone commercial, some are having bands, record labels, music studios and also run programs to raise income and job creation for others.

I have seen great public and motivational speakers who are where they are today because of the platform they got from the church. From reciting Bible verses to doing special presentations during church programs, they were able to conquer stage fright and have built on how to familiarize with crowd and seize the moment. Also look at great movie actors who started in the church Drama unit and dancers who were diligent and committed to presenting something during special church programs. With these, you will see reason to agree with me that the church if not more than any other agency have been able to FREELY bring up youths to an employable and independent state in the society.
Looking away from the training, grooming and creating development opportunity aspect of it; let me begin to conclude with "The church as an Employer ". I won't write much on this but will try to create a picture of it in our minds, and by this, we can help to contribute to this post through the comment box.

However, it is a noticeable thing that local churches have been able to employ the use of paid staffs, ranging from the music directors, instrumentalist, sound engineers to church accountants, secretaries, receptionist, office assistants, to cleaners, drivers, security officers, janitors, system operators and so many others... Just think about it! The church has also created massive employment by building schools and other industries. I can boldly say that the church owns more than 50% of the schools in Nigeria (primary, secondary and tertiary).
Now we haven't even talked about its unbeatable patronage to the Printing Press, media houses and ICT companies (bulk sms, websites, apps and more). From a plain and unbiased mind. We see the economy owes the church so much appreciation for its massive effort in improving the Nigerian economy and reducing employment at all levels.

Sourced from: http://www.talking-christianity.com/2018/07/the-impact-of-church-to-economy-daniel.html

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Dansnow: 11:27am On Jul 08, 2018
goldmatrix:
Same as mosques are able to produce and employ new bombers daily. That's the advantages of mosques.
Not meant to be funny but it is. The bomber get employed so their families can get paid. Wow! Nation building and destruction

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by ajisolasheu: 11:28am On Jul 08, 2018
I will star my own business centre very soon
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by semyman: 11:29am On Jul 08, 2018
Nackzy:
Church is yahoo, you obtain from maagas and tell them to wait for God for their rewards. Yet the guy man in suit have no faith in that God, else why not wait for the same blessings from the God he is telling them to wait on?
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Smooth278(m): 11:29am On Jul 08, 2018
iyke926:
This is a wrong topic pushed to FP.

The impact of terrorism to the economy of Nigeria...is a better topic to research and write on, OP.

Why don't you write on this You are learned also aren't you?
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Dansnow: 11:34am On Jul 08, 2018
AcMilano1:
Nairalander today is my birthday show me love cos this forum is my second home I am proud to be here

Ok
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Smooth278(m): 11:36am On Jul 08, 2018
Aboguede:
OP.
Yes you are correct but I will also like us to understand that the church is an organization and it makes profits.

How many times do thieves and arm rubbers disturb the church? I tell you, thieves Don't usually disturb the church not because they are afraid but because the state has always supported and protected the church.

You see, leave God out of this, how many times has politicians played with the church? Not many despict their hunger for power.

All over the world, the church does all what you have listed and still pay tax exempt Nigeria.

During Jesus time, the church paid heavy tax and still do more than they do today in terms of social welfare.

The church is a very profit making business and also enjoys highest tax cut but not tax exemption

Please give examples of countries where religious organisations pay tax or even charity organisations...

Let me make this simple analogy: let's say Mr X earns 100k monthly and pays 13 to the govt as tax leaving him with 87k; he then pays a certain sub to the religious organisation or to charity... Now if the govt collects tax on what he has given does this not amount to double taxation

This is the rationale behind the tax exemption!!!

Now all the tax that government has collected what have they used it for
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by kkins25(m): 11:39am On Jul 08, 2018
A very silly analysis by the OP. I completely agree with CAPSLOCKED.

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Aboguede(m): 11:39am On Jul 08, 2018
AcMilano1:
Nairalander today is my birthday show me love cos this forum is my second home I am proud to be here

Go to children's forum
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by MDVCONSULTANTS: 11:45am On Jul 08, 2018
Dear OP,

You stated that biased reports do not talk about the economic importance of churches. Well, you too are biased cos you didn't talk about the cost of churches to the economy.

Just imagine...

If a quarter of the big church buildings around town are converted to factories where young people work, what will that do to our GDP and taxes and how many families will feed from that venture. Churches don't pay any tax, even with their signage in every junction they don't pay taxes for adverts

Time: have you considered productive hours lost on church activities that have expanded from normal Sabbath days to every day of the week now? Put China in mind when u calculate this.

Some churches cause huge traffic gridlocks and affect a lot of other normal citizens going about their daily hustle.

A normal Tuesday afternoon, a self employed young man is suppose to be working but he's in a so-called one week retreat organized by a pastor which he has been compelled to attend - loss to the economy

Church posters litter and stain almost every public and private walls even when you see "POST NO BILLS" written. Our very neat bridges and flyovers even on top signpost of other business thereby covering the messages on those legal sign post

Noise pollution from all nights programs and early morning preachings in the neighbourhood affects sleep, rest, peace and productivity of the Nigerian worker

In this economy most people are underpaid. But the church still compels them do donate huge chunk of their salaries, promising them double blessings. If they had been putting that percentage of money the dole out to their churches each month, in a year they can raise some capital for a small business

I could go on but.....Lemme just leave it there for now.

---------------------------------

The only thing the church offer is giving people something to believe in and making people have conscience to be good. Other than that, churches don't help the economy they suck it
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 08, 2018
Since he claims that church is an institutional framework that employs people, my question is; how many labour force can the church employ to make a significant impact on the GDP of the economy?
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Aboguede(m): 11:52am On Jul 08, 2018
Smooth278:

Please give examples of countries where religious organisations pay tax or even charity organisations...

Let me make this simple analogy: let's say Mr X earns 100k monthly and pays 13 to the govt as tax leaving him with 87k; he then pays a certain sub to the religious organisation or to charity... Now if the govt collects tax on what he has given does this not amount to double taxation

Ehhy. What a question?

Ok. India, every Religious institution in India pay very high tax infact they are almost and completely managed by the state openly.

2. All churches in Europe pay taxes infact recently, the Italian gov. Asked the Vatican city to open up for total audit but the Vatican was able to clearify that it's land occupation was completely bought off infact the Vatican city just as it is called is a sovereign state.
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 08, 2018
ziggyzee:
The Church may be a catalyst for developing talents in the absence of opportunities for vocational training. However, considering the possibility of positively impacting the economy, the church is, in fact, a leakage to the economy in terms of lost productive time, non-remuneration for services rendered and pressure on infrastructure.

The Church does not pay for services rendered by the young men and women who dedicate their time and effort to achieving the operational objectives that make worshipping possible. Countless hours are volunteered by the army of workers without economic benefit to the nation whereas, these skills and time can be better accounted for in terms of contributing to national income. This affects the "CONSUMPTION" in the national income calculation as the propensity to earn is decreased.

Also, the Church puts a lot of pressure on infrastructure such as roads, thereby causing road users delays in reaching their destinations that will generate economic activities. This affects the "INVESTMENT" in the national income calculation as depreciation of infrastructure is increased and productivity is lost due to commuting.

Finally, the Church deprives the economy of approximately six hours weekly from the productive lives of able-bodied men and women who spend their time asking for help from God in the form of miracles rather than positioning themselves by taking baby steps towards future economic independence. More productive time is allocated as the year comes to an end and the Church is engulfed in a series of activities.

In summary, moderation is required in everything we do.

Thank you.
Well said.

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 08, 2018
emrain:
The real impact of the church to our economy is evident in the increase of lazy people in Nigeria. People have now accepted the lies sold to them by hope peddlers that - this world is not their home. Therefore it's OK to be lazy, poor, docile and dream killers.
Religion is the opium of the masses, it is what influential people use to hold the masses from protesting, fighting and being violent against them.

2 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by flamingREED(m): 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
The greatest impact is that it restrains us from burning the country down in the wake of Fulani herdsmen's ruthless provocation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Quality20(m): 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
post=69181243:
Jesus is Lord
read about someone talking abt poisoned BBQ n quoted u, wts really d prob?
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Almunjid(m): 12:42pm On Jul 08, 2018
Nackzy:
Na true talk...

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by VocalWalls: 12:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
I know 30+ year olds who work in churches and earn like their age... paid inconsistently, way below their input, and made to feel like the church is doing them a favor as their ultimate reward is in heaven.
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Olabenjamen22(m): 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
Nackzy:

I hope you have started your own. Smh

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by edupedia: 1:43pm On Jul 08, 2018
massive1019:
you are what you read, write and listen to. keep it up brother. your eyes will be opened one day...it may be in life or in death.

....for your indirect threat I say rubbish and nonsense...shiorr
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by ultron12345: 1:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
Smooth278:

so Mr X earns 100k monthly and lays 13 to the govt as tax leaving him with 87k. He then pays a certain amount to a trader for a bag of rice. Going by what u said in your post, the trader should not be taxed because Mr X has paid tax already. Mr X also buys cement from dangote, therefore, dangote should not be taxed because Mr X has paid tax already. If the trader and dangote are taxed, it is double taxation.

Now You See how silly your comment was.

And don't ever put church and charity together, they are 2 different things. The church is a business that makes profit.
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by linkszelda: 1:47pm On Jul 08, 2018
Nackzy:
It's the best definition and replication of yahoo boy no laptop
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by olowobaba10: 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
lakesider:
very good defence .. but how come we have churches on every street and the economy is still bad ?
HOW COME YOU HAVE VARIOUS LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT, FED, STATE, LOCAL GOVERMENTS WHOM YOU ARE PAYING YOUR TAXES TO ,THEY ARE MANAGING YOUR NATION'S RESOURCES, AND THE ECONOMY IS STILL VERY BAD?
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by massive1019(m): 1:57pm On Jul 08, 2018
edupedia:

....for your indirect threat I say rubbish and nonsense...shiorr
what threat brother. if you feel that way please don't be....i'm just stating the fact.
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by meobizy(f): 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2018
rexbuton:
To the lengthy poster above, your inadvertent use of double negation in your statement about prayer proved once again that Jesus is Lord over all
You didn't prove him wrong though. You only proved him right by showing the faithful are sheeple who push aside logic in favour of mediocrity.

His writing proves Jesus is Lord, how exactly?
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2018
ziggyzee:
The Church may be a catalyst for developing talents in the absence of opportunities for vocational training. However, considering the possibility of positively impacting the economy, the church is, in fact, a leakage to the economy in terms of lost productive time, non-remuneration for services rendered and pressure on infrastructure.

The Church does not pay for services rendered by the young men and women who dedicate their time and effort to achieving the operational objectives that make worshipping possible. Countless hours are volunteered by the army of workers without economic benefit to the nation whereas, these skills and time can be better accounted for in terms of contributing to national income. This affects the "CONSUMPTION" in the national income calculation as the propensity to earn is decreased.

Also, the Church puts a lot of pressure on infrastructure such as roads, thereby causing road users delays in reaching their destinations that will generate economic activities. This affects the "INVESTMENT" in the national income calculation as depreciation of infrastructure is increased and productivity is lost due to commuting.

Finally, the Church deprives the economy of approximately six hours weekly from the productive lives of able-bodied men and women who spend their time asking for help from God in the form of miracles rather than positioning themselves by taking baby steps towards future economic independence. More productive time is allocated as the year comes to an end and the Church is engulfed in a series of activities.

In summary, moderation is required in everything we do.

Thank you.
Oga 80% of people here that complain about church waste more time on nairaland a week than a whole 5000 member spend in church a year

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prophet Mezziah Mraphor Claims A Dead Child Was Raised Back To Life In Church / Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? / Do You Stand Up as a first timer in a new Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.