Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,320 members, 7,822,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria (2815 Views)

Ohanaeze Ndigbo To Plant 1 Million Palm Trees In South-East / Economic Trees In South East: 5years From Now,you'll Wish You Had Planted A Tree / The Machinery "Big John" Used For Planting Trees In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 11:06am On Jul 08, 2018
I registered this account just for the course of protecting our environment.

Watch out for updates on the power of trees and their impact on ecology and economy of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 08, 2018
Treepower2000:
I registered this account just for the course of protecting our environment.

Watch out for updates on the power of trees and their impact on ecology and economy of Nigeria.
Am With You But If We Are Doing These There Should Be A Place (land) Were Trees Are Planted And Most Of Edible Fruit Trees,perennial,ornamental Trees And So On ! A Place Were Trees Are Preserve (Like A Reserve) A Plot, An Acre It A Starting Point. Think About It Thanks
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2018
Cloneberg:
Am With You But If We Are Doing These There Should Be A Place (land) Were Trees Are Planted And Most Of Edible Fruit Trees,perennial,ornamental Trees And So On ! A Place Were Trees Are Preserve (Like A Reserve) A Plot, An Acre It A Starting Point. Think About It Thanks
You are on point as if I discussed with you before opening the thread. This is the way we should go in Nigeria; "Projects by like minds" and not some get rich quick schemes that benefits none but the greedy operators.
I will open whatsapp group soon. Land is already secured.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2018
Treepower2000:

You are on point as if I discussed with you before opening the thread. This is the way we should go in Nigeria; "Projects by like minds" and not some get rich quick schemes that benefits none but the greedy operators.
I will open whatsapp group soon. Land is already secured.
Nice One Am With U Educate Us More Please
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 7:30pm On Jul 08, 2018
Cloneberg:
Nice One Am With U Educate Us More Please
Before the Advent of crude oil Nigeria economy was booming with the export of cash crops.
Mark the word CASH.
With export of crude in large quantity and resultant availability of "free" money to government emmergency contractors took over the economic sphere and people left the farms to rot and took up white collar jobs in the cities and the result is what we have today.
With easy access to money with little effort the agricultural system in Nigeria changed from cash crops farming to food crops to feed the growth in population as fueled by the oil economic boom.
The difference between cash crops and food crops is that cash crops are like long term investment while food crops are short term with attendant heavy and recurrent financial and labour input.
So we can say that cash crops is more like investment in insurance while food crops farming is like bank fixed deposit.
To be continue.....
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 10:16pm On Jul 08, 2018
If I have 6 million naira in my savings and decide to invest 3 million in fixed deposit and the other 3 in insurance chances are that at the end of say ten years the following may have taken place;
1. The 3 million naira in fixed deposit will likely be less then 3 million both in purchasing power and fiscal value as it would be subject withdrawals and change in interests paid by the bank,
2. On the other hand the 3 million put into insurance will mature to a paid up value of more than 200% of the capital plus other bonuses from the insurance company.
This is the analogy between tree crop farming and food crop farming.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 10:17pm On Jul 08, 2018
Note: I am a farmer, not an agriculturist!.
Examples of why you can always win in tree farming;
Some years back I planted two avacado pears with the intention of transplanting them but couldn't as they grew beyond transplant before I came back from my travel.
Before 5 years one of them started bearing fruit. Early this year the one bearing fruit died after the first rain. I suspected chemicals carried by the rain water. I was sad to cut down the tree but on closer assessment I reconned the wood can be sold for about 1500 naira. Now you can see why tree crops are cash crops. Head or tail you gain. I spent nothing in planting the tree because the seed were from discarded fruits.
Just imagine if this was a field hosting up to a thousand trees.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 09, 2018
Trees or perennial plants will always trump crops anyday anytime.
Out of my research, the highest yielding tree is the wambugu apple which can be planted in Nigeria and and a tree could generate as high as 2,000 fruits in its third year. Imagine planting only 100 of it.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Out of my research, the highest yielding tree is the wambugu apple which can be planted in Nigeria and and a tree could generate as high as 2,000,000 in its third year. Imagine planting only 100 of it.
The wambugu sounds Kenyan. Is it available in Nigeria?
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 09, 2018
Treepower2000:

Yes though I learnt it cost about N8000 per seedling in Ibadan.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 10, 2018
Treepower2000:

Wambugu is indeed Kenyan. The inventor, Peter Wambugu is a former mechanic who became frustrated from not earning enough to take care of his family.

Out of his curiosity for apples, he experimented by grafting two different species of apple on his father's farm - one variety from Israel and another from the forest, which he said was hidden there by the Mau Mau fighters to provide them food.

A few years ago, Peter purchased additional 20 acres to plant more apples to add to the 1000 apple trees he already had. Today, Peter supplies apple fruits and seedlings to many countries in Africa and Europe.

He said he cannot meet the demand for his apples in Kenya, eventhough orders for his apples keep coming in from far away places like Denmark.

The apple takes 9 months to bear fruit - producing about 20 fruits in 9 months and about 150 fruits in 1.5 years. At 6 years, the tree bears over 2,000 apples, making him a minimum of $4,500 per tree during each harvest season. Listen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbmTq4-cY8

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 10, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Yes though I learnt it cost about N8000 per seedling in Ibadan.
Do You Have Contact Of Were To Get The Seedling? If You Do I Don't Mind Getting It
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2018
Cloneberg:
Do You Have Contact Of Were To Get The Seedling? If You Do I Don't Mind Getting It
Contact this number 07082638957. Price start from 7,000
https://www.nairaland.com/3670585/economical-tree-crops-seedlings-available/4#68318746
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 10, 2018
310 apple tress can go into 1 acre farmland. This business is a serious gold mine for anyone that ventures into it. So much cash can be made from this in a few years of planting, especially if done in high scale such as planting 600 trees in 2 acres. Have you planted any yet?

EMMAACHILE:
Out of my research, the highest yielding tree is the wambugu apple which can be planted in Nigeria and and a tree could generate as high as 2,000 fruits in its third year. Imagine planting only 100 of it.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Contact this number 07082638957. Price start from 7,000
https://www.nairaland.com/3670585/economical-tree-crops-seedlings-available/4#68318746
Thanks Am Greatful
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2018
namet:
310 apple tress can go into 1 acre farmland. This business is a serious gold mine for anyone that ventures into it. So much cash can be made from this in a few years of planting. Have you planted any yet?
No. Just found out about it few weeks ago. When Buhari's govt is gone, then we will try to establish one.
I think it's best planted in the south where rain is available all year but most be irrigated to achieve maximum yield.

Plants with high yield and serious cash money include
1. Wambugu apple per hectare- 750 trees, potentially 1,500,000 fruits avg 75m to 150m naira per year from third year. Initial setup is high as seedlings is from 7,000.
Farm must be fenced. Only advantage I see is the small land required to generate this revenue.
Life span: 200-400 years
Temp maximum advised is 36c so may not do well in some parts especially the hot areas of the country like the north or middle belt.

2. Moringa seed oil dwarf variety. Could generate between 6-7 tons per hectare and could get upto 3000 litres of oil.
Value is between 6m-9m per year from fourth year and if processed to oil could generate between 27m to 45m depending on time of the year.
Lifespan: 15-45 years
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

No. Just found out about it few weeks ago. When Buhari's govt is gone, then we will try to establish one.
I think it's best planted in the south where rain is available all year but most be irrigated to achieve maximum yield.

1. Wambugu apple per hectare- 750 trees, potentially 1,500,000 fruits avg 75m to 150m naira per year from third year. Initial setup is high as seedlings is from 7,000.
Farm must be fenced. Only advantage I see is the small land required to generate this revenue.
Temp maximum advised is 36c so may not do well in some parts especially the hot areas of the country like the north or middle belt.

2. Moringa seed oil dwarf variety. Could generate between 6-7 tons per hectare and could get upto 3000 litres of oil.
Value is between 6m-9m per year from fourth year and if processed to oil could generate between 27m to 45m depending on time of the year.

Hello sir,

Why the bolded? Herdsmen or something else?
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2018
Grupo:

Hello sir,

Why the bolded? Herdsmen or something else?
Herdsmen and danger of being killed on your farmland. High rate of crime and theft due to high hunger in the land. Also best places to plant due to temperature is also a con.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 10, 2018
For this Wambugu apples, I read somewhere that its one of the best variety for wine making. That's why some countries in Europe like it.

Comparing startup capital to the revenue of 75m from 1 hectre, I think it's not a bad agribusiness to venture into assuming temperature is favorable. Fencing cost can even come from sales of the fruit during the higher yields. Definitely one agribiz to keep in mind.

Thanks for the info.

EMMAACHILE:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by sefani(f): 3:46pm On Jul 10, 2018
I have read a lot about the wambugu apples but I really want to know if any one has successfully planted and harvested it here in Nigeria. kindly show us pictures.

this apple has been in existence for years, why are Nigerians just learning about it?

op, thanks for opening this thread; I have learnt a lot already

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2018
sefani:
I have read a lot about the wambugu apples but I really want to know if any one has successfully planted and harvested it here in Nigeria. kindly show us pictures.

this apple has been in existence for years, why are Nigerians just learning about it?

op, thanks for opening this thread; I have learnt a lot already
It just came to Nigeria. You can test by buying one if you live close to Ogun axis.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 10, 2018
Yes Profit! profit! profit! That All I Here Form We Nigerians, Am Not Saying It Bad We All Need To Do Something And Be Profitable," But" What We Are Saying Here It More Like "First" Preservation Our Ecological System Which Means "Trees" And Everything That Make Up An Eco-system Not Planting One Tree In An Hectare Of Land That's Called Mono Plantation. We Are Talking About A Tropical Food Forest Filled With Variety Of Trees, Perennial, Ornamental, Herds And If Well Planned You Can Make Profit Offcus Or Maybe That Not What OP Is Talking About Here, To Me It More Of Permaculture And Thats What I Believe We Are Talking Here
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:38am On Jul 11, 2018
Yes, permaculture and a designed disturbance that facilitates a regenerative, self-sustaining, and circular ecological operation is definitely the way to go. However, those discussing "Wambugu apples" in this forum do so within the context of minimum input cost and quick returns.

Land is limited and expensive, skilled labor hard to find, and equipment and inputs also expensive in Nigeria. So, an investment in time and effort must provide fast returns. A mono specie operation of a high value tree seems the tested model of turning high profit fast. It's why we're talking fast yielding "Wambugu apples."

But, talking quick profits, for some of us, doesn't erase a long term plan of operating a well-diversified Garden of Eden-type food forest that include high and low value tree cum crop cum livestock, with Benin Songhai Farms and Australia's Zaytuna Farms as adaptable models.

Cloneberg:
Yes Profit! profit! profit! That All I Here Form We Nigerians, Am Not Saying It Bad We All Need To Do Something And Be Profitable," But" What We Are Saying Here It More Like "First" Preservation Our Ecological System Which Means "Trees" And Everything That Make Up An Eco-system Not Planting One Tree In An Hectare Of Land That's Called Mono Plantation. We Are Talking About A Tropical Food Forest Filled With Variety Of Trees, Perennial, Ornamental, Herds And If Well Planned You Can Make Profit Offcus Or Maybe That Not What OP Is Talking About Here, To Me It More Of Permaculture And Thats What I Believe We Are Talking Here

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 7:44am On Jul 11, 2018
Cloneberg:

TREE POWER AND PROFIT/SUSTAINABILITY

Let me give you how I got my inspiration in this short story.
In my community in the east there was this strip of land of about thirty acre left uncultivated for over thirty years and it eventually turned to a forest. As children we went there to pick snails, mushrooms, okasi leaf and others.
The forest provided timber and games were hunted there.
During the civil war when food ran out two communities relied on this forest and the nearby rain forest for all their needs.
At the end of the war and onset of oil boom the forest was ferociously harvested for timber and eventually clear for food. Today that same area the forest occupied cannot sustain up to thirty families and every time I pass there I shake me head in sadness on account of our ignorance and the quest for quick profit.
Note: Our quest for quick gains is system induced. If you plant cover trees that yield in seven years, when you are not from a very rich family, who feeds your family during the latent period. This is what we intend to overcome on this thread. Taking back our environment in our own small way.

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 11, 2018
namet:
Yes, permaculture and a designed disturbance that facilitates a regenerative, self-sustaining, and circular ecological operation is definitely the way to go. However, those discussing "Wambugu apples" in this forum do so within the context of minimum input cost and quick returns.

Land is limited and expensive, skilled labor hard to find, and equipment and inputs also expensive in Nigeria. So, an investment in time and effort must provide fast returns. A mono specie operation of a high value tree seems the tested model of turning high profit fast. It's why we're talking fast yielding "Wambugu apples."

But, talking quick profits, for some of us, doesn't erase a long term plan of operating a well-diversified Garden of Eden-type food forest that include high and low value tree cum crop cum livestock, with Benin Songhai Farms and Australia's Zaytuna Farms as adaptable models. You Are On Point
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 11, 2018
Permaculture Is The Way To Subsist Our Food Forest.When You Plant Dose Cash Crop Trees That Will Take Longer To Grow You Will Employ A Systen Were By You Do Other Things Eg: Market Gardening Were You Grow Fast Growing Crops You Can Easily Sell And Eaten Form Too, Poultry, Animal Husbandry Does Will Give You Money On The Side Before Ur Trees Mature And Mono Tree Planting Is Not The Way To Subsist Forest,In Ur Discription Above Thats A Food Forest,Thats Permaculture.A Mone Crop Will Only Feed A Village For A Season Not Year Round.

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Ademat7(m): 10:11am On Jul 11, 2018
nice to read from the wealth of knowledge of you guys
much respect!
let's keep this thread alive

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2018
Ademat7:
nice to read from the wealth of knowledge of you guys
much respect!
let's keep this thread alive
Thanks Bro OP And The Guys Are Doing A Good Job Here Above All We Need Lots Of People To Start Practising Permeculture And Food Forestry In These Conutry That How We Can Save The Forestry And It Start By Planting A Tree.

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 12, 2018
OP I am ready to partner with you in grafting these apple if you want. I am happybrother.

1 Like

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 2:23am On Jul 14, 2018
happybrother:
OP I am ready to partner with you in grafting these apple if you want. I am happybrother.

Which of these scenerio will you ascribe to and would prefer to manifest in this project TREEPOWER:

1. The story of manna falling from heaven for the Israelites,

2. The story of Jacob serving his master for 21 years,

3. To be second in command to powerful throne as Joab and Abner or

4.The story of Elijah the all powerful prophet of God,

Choose your preference​ and see what we shall become as we make our destinies in this journey of Tree power from the analysis that will follow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Treepower2000: 2:27am On Jul 14, 2018
Treepower2000:

Everyone should pick his/her choice of preferred scenerio

Which of these scenerio will you ascribe to and would prefer to manifest in this project TREEPOWER:

Choose your preference​ and see what we shall become as we make our destinies in this journey of Tree power from the analysis that will follow.
Re: The Potential And Power Of Trees In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:15am On Jul 14, 2018
Treepower2000:

op, I graft plants and I dont do 'GOD' business. You are making the thread look like a religious affair which most times are aimed towards ripping-off.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very Big And CHEAP Sallah Rams For Sale. / Fish Found With Man-like Lips And Teeth (PHOTOS) / FG: Insecurity Has Not Affected Food Production Significantly Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.