Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? (5092 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife / Jang Renames Plateau University After Chief Solomon Lar / 2010/2011 Post Ume For Obafemi Awolowo University Is Finally Out! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by aycd44(m): 10:02pm On Mar 25, 2007
Anyone here can tell me anything about Obafemi Awolowo University? When are we resuming?

And who should be blammed for the closure of the school? the VC, Students union, Akinola Saburi, or we students?
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by bunmii(f): 10:04pm On Mar 25, 2007
i heard the whole shopping centre got burnt. we had a shop there cry cry cry
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by fatliar(m): 10:43pm On Mar 25, 2007
hope d burning didnt affect pixel, is lanre diamond still d sug president
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by aycd44(m): 11:36pm On Mar 25, 2007
i heard the sports market got burnt the saturday school authority invited mopols to forcefully drive out students from the halls of residence.
cry
for fatliar,
pixels is in new buka and not in sports market and also Diamond is no more our president, but an ex-president. Akinola Saburi is the new Students Union president.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Ndipe(m): 9:47am On Mar 26, 2007
Na wao!!!
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by agnesoseka: 10:14am On Mar 26, 2007
nig er ia,
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by somegirl(f): 10:50am On Mar 26, 2007
The shopping centre got burned! shocked cry Hope nobody was harmed. My friend's mother works there. So, I hope she and everybody else are fine!
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by tafari(m): 11:18am On Mar 26, 2007
My Alma Mata Again!!!! cry cry cry
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by kike001(f): 12:58pm On Mar 26, 2007
bunmii:

i heard the whole shopping centre got burnt. we had a shop there cry cry cry
AWWW BLESS BUT TO BE HONEST DAT AREA IS REALLY GUD
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by kike001(f): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2007
fatliar:

hope d burning didnt affect pixel, is lanre diamond still d sug president
U DONT VEN LIVE AROUND DA PLACE
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Muyee(m): 2:14pm On Mar 26, 2007
heard we are resuming after the election. too bad for we Part one students who were too glad to be admitted into 'Nigeria's best university'
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by DewDrop(f): 6:43pm On Mar 26, 2007
E Pele O!
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 26, 2007
ASUU has gone on an indefinite strike.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Dapo4u(m): 7:36pm On Mar 26, 2007
Na wa o,ife with her wahala.Thank God I eventually graduated from that school.Sports Centres(shops) got burnt? accidental or man made?I hope ife students are not being destructive coz during Fash-Obesere,Ropo Ewenla,Lanre Adekanle,Vakama-Legacy  tenures,we did agitate for students welfarism but none of those Alutas resulted in arsons  and vandalism.
Anyway sha  i pity the j[i]ambitos[/i] and final year students.
Ife Alumnus
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Orikinla(m): 8:11pm On Mar 26, 2007
What is going on in Nigeria?

The ruling Papa Deceive Pikin (PDP) political party of OBJ is doing more harm than good to Nigeria.

Lecturers go on strike and doctors go on strike while they are still busy fighting over who stole more from the PTDF account.

Are you still going to vote?
When they don't respect the electorate?

Have you seen this picture of OAU babes living like refugees?

Whenever schools are closed, the needy female students resort to what they have been forced to do to make ends meet.

Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Seun(m): 8:18pm On Mar 26, 2007
If the schools were all privatized, none of this would be happening. When last did Babcock close down?
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Sequoia(m): 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2007
when things went smnoothly during the past 2 sessions at OAU., i thought the school had finally been delivered from all her problems. i thought students would not have to spend seven and half years studying a 5-year course wothout having any carry-overs.

i was already congratulating present students that the school had turned the curve and that things would start looking up for it, but what do we have hear?

but it seems its the same old story all over again.

me feel students got to rise up and become very interested in campus politics and really have a say in congress and in the decision making progress.

in my final year at ife, final year students were accused of sabotaging aluta, but why would we want to go on another round of struggle after those that got into other skuls when we were in part 3 were going for service and we were still big "bros" for school.

let the generality of students take an interest in whats going on around them and not allow their collective destinies to be played with by some gangs that dont have anything to lose.

as ife story take tire me, there something to cheer about grin grin grin

the winner and the runner-up of the just concluded Intern show happen to be Ife grads.
so we are still showing them up that we are really the best school in this country.

A GREAT IFE to them cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by aycd44(m): 8:35pm On Mar 26, 2007
Muyee:

heard we are resuming after the election. too bad for we Part one students who were too glad to be admitted into 'Nigeria's best university'
if you are to say that, what would you say about we part 5 students. we entered in 2001, so take the count for yourself. our mates in other schools are in camp either serving now or presently in camp
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by aycd44(m): 8:57pm On Mar 26, 2007
Dapo4u:

Na wa o,ife with her wahala.Thank God I eventually graduated from that school.Sports Centres(shops) got burnt? accidental or man made?I hope ife students are not being destructive because during Fash-Obesere,Ropo Ewenla,Lanre Adekanle,Vakama-Legacy tenures,we did agitate for students welfarism but none of those Alutas resulted in arsons and vandalism.
Anyway sha i pity the j[i]ambitos[/i] and final year students.
Ife Alumnus
i thank you for the testimony about Great ife. ife students still maintains their sanity and integrity. sports market got burnt accidentally and not by students. no ife students will go to that destructive extent. i am happy to inform you that we still remain thesame sane people that you used to know.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by bunmii(f): 9:00pm On Mar 26, 2007
since it was burnt accidentally  i hope they compensate those that their whole life depended on selling stuff in that shop centre
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by aycd44(m): 9:23pm On Mar 26, 2007
Orikinla,
thank you for that picture of Moz hall. it would also complement this if you are able to post Angola and Awolowo hall picture for people to see the kind of deteriorating structures in which students live.
lipsrsealed
Bunmii, compensation would be at the discretion of the school authority, but do you think they will pay them?
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Ndipe(m): 10:28pm On Mar 26, 2007
The picture alone is a grave injustice to the state of education in Nigeria.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Seun(m): 10:31pm On Mar 26, 2007
Hostels in Covenant University don't look like that. It just shows that we need more private universities.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by ayhur: 11:06pm On Mar 26, 2007
i think the problem in oau is spiritual.we have to turn to God in prayers for help.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Omonla(f): 4:20am On Mar 27, 2007
@ Orinkinla:

Thanks for the picture of Moz Hall o smiley It brings back good memories, I used to be a jambite at Great Ife, but left after we were closed down for about three to six months.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Ndipe(m): 5:18am On Mar 27, 2007
That picture is a gross reflection on the current crisis in the Nigerian educational system. And someone had the nerve to brag that Nigeria's education is superior to the Western world? A tragedy indeed. Now, what is Obasanjo doing to remedy the problem? That's the reason, I don't care for civilian rule in Nigeria. During IBB's regime, no matter the financial impropriety that took place in his regime, the excesses, remember, that education was well taken care of by the administration. Go to FGC, then, and you will be like "Wow", check out the GRA's of our cities and they were nice. Today, those buildings are in disrepair and I am curious again, what exactly has OBJ done for Nigeria? Is Bursary still disbursed to University students, as it was, in the early 90's? I have to state here that OBJ's administration has been a disappointment to Nigerians
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by lilvonz(m): 3:49pm On Mar 27, 2007
Orikinla
This ur room is exceptionally dirty
sorry, which hall is this?
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by Seun(m): 3:56pm On Mar 27, 2007
The problem of OAU is that the government has no business running a university.
It lacks the healthy profit drive that pushes universities like Covenant University towards excellence.
There is no guarantee that the lecturers will earn one kobo by improving the services they provide.
The only way civil servants can make money is by embezzling it, which is exactly what many of them tend to do.

Privatization will not prevent poor but brilliant students from getting university degrees. They'll get scholarships.
Those that can't get scholarships will get student loans that they can repay after graduation.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by seunspice(m): 9:41pm On Mar 27, 2007
i graduated from ife few years ago, and i believe the crisis would never end except a lot of things change. i came into ife in 1997 bearing a 1996 matric number, no thanks to the anti Abacha ASUU strike, but before pointing to ASUU or the federal Government, i always want to look inwards and see where it all went wrong. The student union has long been held by the 'strong hands' of the Scapites (DSM) and other 'political parties' and unfortunately, these parties have guys who are majorly NFAs in their folds. 'Saint' for all those around anytime from 1997 who contested the CEC elections and lost to VAKAMA was later found not to be a bonafide student in 1996, cause he had been 'chocked' much longer. My good friend Burkina suffered the same fate, it was learnt he was departmentless at the time of his impeachment,
The NFAs call a congress few weeks to exams and site many reasons why exams should not hold and before you say Ife, 'Will Exams hold?' become the commonest refrain on campus. In few days tension mounts on campus, alutas begin 'Scientifically' (Legacy), 'yanically' (Vakama), 'Dynamically' (Dr 3As) and all the callys used by other SUG presidents.
I witnessed it all. The worst part though is the looting of the Treasury at all levels, from departmental associations to the student Union level. I was campaign manager for my assistant calss rep twice for the post of VP SUG, and by the time she got the seat and vacated it, rumors of scandalous pilfering of close to 2 million naira was the order of the day. i felt so ashamed. I hope there is a future for Nigeria.
Greatest Ife, going by History, do not expect to resume until after the elections are concluded. In 1999, prior to the Junior world cup to be hosted by Nigeria, there were series of congresses all geared at forcing the regime of Prof Omole(then VC) to recall the suspended or otherwise, Tony Fash, The Aluta led by LEGACY then SUG president and the Late Afrika (Gen Sec) was held scientifically (without arson) for 5 days, there was the Aluta concert held on Monday at the Motion ground, the protest march to the VC's lodge and the aluta crusade held at the Majestic Amphi Theatre ( I still miss that Place), there were many aluta prophecies uttered on the altar of alutas that day. We were all chorusing 'Pawon, Gbosa, ' for a whole week. Then came the threat from legacy that we were to go to lagos and distrupt the opening ceremony of Nigeria 99, and since OBJ had been soundly embarassed at the Conference center few months earlier (prior to his election as Predsident), the government was the wiser. We were shut down for 3 months, the final match of Nija 99 had been far played before we resumed again. we resumed on the 14 of June only to be faced by shooting stars on the 10th of july. 1999/2000 session lasted 18 months.
So write it down, ife resumes after the elections must have been concluded and probably results announced. I wish you all well.
Aluta Continua Victoria Acerta
Hope i got it right, its been a while.
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by trendy(f): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2007
the vC that guy is insensitive to the plight of students
he wants to run us down
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by seunspice(m): 4:54pm On Mar 28, 2007
I would like you to be more explicit treny babe, how is he running you guys down?
Re: What Next For Obafemi Awolowo University (After Closure)? by gidig(m): 8:12pm On Mar 28, 2007
Heard about the closure weeks ago and the circumsatnces surrounding the closure;learnt that some students had gone to represent the school at the NUGA games and exams were to begin the day they came back, which many felt was not fair to the students and of course, the gang of irresponsible student leaders-who find their way into leadership from time to time in my dear alma mater- capitalised on it to protest and demand some of their usual stuffs, inspired by books on marxism and stuffs that have no place in real life!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uniport Hostel List / See What Prof. Dibu Ojerinde Meant By Scrapping Of Post Utme / LASU 2012/13 Post UTME Test Results Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.