Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' (29508 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Vmaqween(f): 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2018
potbelly:
tongue
This one weak me oo cheesy
potbelly:
tongue
This one weak me oo

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2018
Issame:
Award-winning novelist and feminist icon, Chimamanda Adichie says she feels sorry for men because they can’t experience the benefits that come with being a mother.

In an interview with Vulture, Adichie opened up about what having a child meant to her and the impact it had on her art.

“I used to think I wouldn’t be a good mother because I was so dedicated to my art,” the ‘Americanah’ writer said.

“I said to myself, I have nephews and nieces who I adore, and I helped raise them, so those will be my children. That’s what I thought for a long time, because I felt that I couldn’t be true to both my art and my child.

“Getting older. I like to joke and say that you’re ready [to have a child] when your body isn’t ready, and when your body is ready, you’re not mentally ready.

“I guess you have the best eggs when you’re, like, 22, but at 22 you don’t even know yourself.

“Then when you’re 38 and know yourself, your eggs are not the best quality. Anyway, we’ll talk about eggs another time.”

Adichie explained that having a child interrupts her writing to an extent but also opens up a new range of emotions that can inspire art which men can’t experience.

“But my baby happened, and it’s important to talk honestly about this, because having her changed a lot,” she said.

“Having a child gets in the way of writing. It does. You can’t own your time the way you used to.

“But the other thing that motherhood does — and I kind of feel sorry for men that they can’t have this — is open up a new emotional plane that can feed your art.”

Source:
http://nairaplus.com/2018/07/im-sorry-for-men-because-they-cant-have-babies-chimamanda-says/

I don't normally say this... But it's time for the igbos to claim this embarrassment and errant daughter of theirs.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2018
gypsey:
So what are their house boys? Females? i take it from your understanding house boys are not males, or will never become a MAN? so house boys don't have dicks?

what the hell is a house boy anyway? you sound Ancient. angry

I have made a response in that accord explaining to another mor0n like you on this thread that Adichie is a linguist and not a mor0n like you. It is men she referred to, not boys. Women experience motherhood not girls. So reference is made to Men not boys.

Pay attention to words in literary sense and not literal sense when dealing with smart people. Cos you unlettered but educated minions have lost track of literature.

Next time you want to betray your emotion then you should choose your opponent wisely.

Do not respond to this message except you are silly.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by nextstep(m): 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2018
I appreciate her intellect, but something tells me I would tire easily in conversations with this lady... always dragging up things for the sake of being argumentative, trying too hard to impress who-knows-who.

*no I'm not sexist, I'd tire of any guy doing the same thing...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2018
Organism000:

I have made a response in that accord explaining to another mor0n like you on this thread that Adichie is a linguist and not a mor0n like you. It is men she referred to, not boys. Women experience motherhood not girls. So reference is made to Men not boys.

Pay attention to words in literary sense and not literal sense when dealing with smart people. Cos you unfettered but educated minions have lost track of literature.

Next time you want to betray your emotion then you should choose your opponent wisely.

Do not respond to this message except you are silly.
Thank you! i will bear all these your Rubbish you have written above in mind next time. grin Now, have a good evening.

you still made no sense! Ciao!! grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by delishpot: 8:09pm On Jul 10, 2018
Yinmu....... And women can have fatherhood ba? Yeye dey smell.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Bianda24: 8:14pm On Jul 10, 2018
She just opened her mouth to voice out trash and thinks that she has made headlines.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by rafday125(m): 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2018
Come Chi Baby,
Seems like you are the man and your husband is ur madam and it got into your head to say this
oya come to the village for General Cleansing

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by MrMystrO(m): 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2018
gypsey:
my friend don't talk Rubbish! so it's only you who understands what has been written by this terribly obnoxious female.

why would she even make such comments as "i feel sorry for men for not expriencing motherhood? what exactly does that Derogatory bullshiit means? oya! tell us! since you have sense more than men do.

Hehehe why the rage bruh? Are we fighting?? Please move all that anger somewhere else man, I'm not the one responsible for all your problems in life Lol.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2018
MrMystrO:

Hehehe why the rage bruh? Are we fighting?? Please move all that anger somewhere else man, I'm not the one responsible for all your problems in life Lol.
Anything else reasonable to add? you lost the Argument and resorted to making derogatory remarks.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Scholar8200(m): 8:27pm On Jul 10, 2018
May God heal her of the wound inflicted on her when she was sexually molested by that man (as narrated by her); the wound keeps festering, and she might not realise this as the ultimate cause of her mindset!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by anigold(m): 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2018
potbelly:
tongue
I think it's even happening now grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Funnyguy83: 8:41pm On Jul 10, 2018
Spanner4:

We need each other my sister.... a man can't procreate. ..he needs a woman....
look at what will end this . If you want to pray, start with our mother .
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Funnyguy83: 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2018
cococandy:

Exactly

You only know what you’re told. You don’t have factual proof. God can be anything to anyone
exactly. But look at what will end this . If you want to pray, start with our mother .
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by drnoel: 8:49pm On Jul 10, 2018
CANDYDADDY:
shocked

This girl now will think she's a feminist, not knowing she is a total imbalance, insane, moody, attention seeker.

perhaps reason why kemi olunloyo is her role model

But wetin concern me na her issue

[img]https://media1./images/35391984469e19d37e3badf4d38a8728/tenor.gif?itemid=11227112[/img]

She has a very patient husband that's why she talks without hinderance
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by ddestiny20(m): 9:00pm On Jul 10, 2018
women will never know fatherhood
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by phemmyfour: 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2018
Yeligray:
I'm sorry for women, they don't have spermhood and without spermhood, no motherhood
grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Ekaka1(m): 9:18pm On Jul 10, 2018
This girl should stick to writing good novels and leave this haughtiness alone...haba.. sad
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by dasparrow: 9:21pm On Jul 10, 2018
Scholar8200:
May God heal her of the wound inflicted on her when she was sexually molested by that man (as narrated by her); the wound keeps festering, and she might not realise this as the ultimate cause of her mindset!!!

Yes, could be. Many women who have a deep seated resentment for men were sexually molested as little girls. This is why I resent pedophiles. They cause a lot of problems especially in the lives of their victims.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by dasparrow: 9:26pm On Jul 10, 2018
ddestiny20:
women will never know fatherhood

Frankly speaking, there is nothing to know about fatherhood. Men don't carry children in their wombs. They cannot breastfeed children. They are not nuturers and frankly speaking don't do anything much when it comes to parenting.

This is why many adults are more thankful to their mothers and all the sacrifices they made than to their father's who were really just sperm donors and nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by billyG(m): 9:35pm On Jul 10, 2018
Y do d world glorify a lousy writer than a scientist?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by GrammarCheck: 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2018
See this Ode woman
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by ddestiny20(m): 9:47pm On Jul 10, 2018
dasparrow:

Frankly speaking, there is nothing to know about fatherhood. Men don't carry children in their wombs. They cannot breastfeed children. They are not nuturers and frankly speaking don't do anything much when it comes to parenting.

This is why many adults are more thankful to their mothers and all the sacrifices they made than to their father's who were really just sperm donors and nothing more.

paying of school fees, buying of clothes and providing for feeding at home, I am a married man and I Know what it takes to be a father and a husband.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by openmine(m): 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2018
Yeligray:
I'm sorry for women, they don't have spermhood and without spermhood, no motherhood
spermhood grin grin grin

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by DeeMain(m): 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2018
Why the backlash? There is nothing sinister in what she said and how she said it. Forget the cheap headline and read the context. She is saying that there are emotions in the human psyche accessible only through motherhood and she's being hounded? For promoting motherhood? Smh.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by eclecticbaron: 10:26pm On Jul 10, 2018
ladyF:
Men should also feel sorry for us because we cannot experience fatherhood angry

Make i go continue my search for bitcoin to buy sha... Check my signature.. Best rate always. kiss

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

Choi! LadyF. It's been like a zillion years o.Nice hearing from you again. I miss your trademark sign out. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Octaves(m): 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2018
lol. women can't enjoy the feeling of impregnating a woman and waiting 9 months for the baby to pop.

I can bet my a55 that most people commenting only read the title.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by openmine(m): 10:40pm On Jul 10, 2018
GistLivePro:
Are you also aware that God said let us create man in our image. If he was a she, a woman would have been created first. I see you don't believe in God, so no need for this conversation.
why are you guys wasting ur time arguing with that fellow nah?
Its obvious he is a devil's advocate! grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2018
chrisviral:

And what is wrong with addressing god as a woman?
Did god tell you he is a man?

Be sensible with your posts.

God is probably hermaphrodite cheesy cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Olujoe1(m): 10:54pm On Jul 10, 2018
I'm sorry for women they can't even fatherhood
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 10, 2018
Organism000:
That is a technical knock-out. Adichie actually finished the masculine egotism there. Even a simple response like 'Women can not also feel Fatherhood' will put men in a defensive position, which men are not used to.

Men always have their say and their day, but the Adichie is leading Feminism to dismantle the very last column and beams of the structure of masculinity that men who are guided by ego will respond to her with attacks, but not forgetting that apart from our cash, there is nothing else we can offer the women, except ofcourse sperm, which they can get from their houseboys.

But we must take it easy, because no matter how sweet the vibrattor is, and how much the finger of the lesbian his, a dicck still has its place in nature.

I love Adichie, and all intelligent women out there, and I still really wish I can find one who is not worshiping a virus.
...d fact is DAT d statement just doesn't make sense ...its like saying DAT u pity a fish cause dey don't know aw it feels to be dogs... Its a dumb comparism .there is d joy of fatherhood and motherhood , u can't feel both.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Azam101: 11:37pm On Jul 10, 2018
She has cancer of the Brain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question / Cancer ................... (a True Life Story) / The Kevlar's Emergency Fiancee (chritsmas Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.