Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,052 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

A Little Joke By Sting 224 - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / A Little Joke By Sting 224 (1729 Views)

This Little Joke Will Help Cheer Your Day.. Pic / Why Not Laugh A Little Bit ( Funny Pics) / A Little Joke For Our Catholic Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Little Joke By Sting 224 by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 12, 2010
Nick Dowty huddled alone at his desk in the empty office surrounded by an army of ghosts. The clamour of unanswered phones bombarded his brain like shrapnel bouncing off a tin roof, constant reminders of the war of attrition he had been fighting for the last year. Below him the factory lay silent, no angry whine of machines tearing steel, no familiar judder from gantry cranes shifting ten ton blocks of solid metal onto the huge machining centres.

It was eleven o’ clock on a bright Tuesday morning in the middle of January but it felt like he’d been there all day. Time moves slowly – inexorably slowly – on Death Row. This was the seventeenth year he had ruled over his tiny empire from the safety of his familiar leather swivel chair. A long campaign, an abrupt defeat. Nick stared out with unseeing eyes over the snow-covered golf course. The bank manager was due at any moment.

Nick had spent the whole of the previous week trying to make sense of the December management accounts. Falling sales. High fixed costs. Rising raw material prices. Lack of working capital. There seemed to be no way out. They were in deep trouble and for the first time since he’d started the business he he’d been unable to conjure up a plausible strategy to keep the business alive.

The last strategic review they had conducted with the help of highly paid consultants had been implemented only two years previously. That solution – to lower prices and diversify from overdependence on one customer - hadn’t worked. Now the situation was even worse. The scale of the losses was such…their debts were so great… Things were so bad it was hard to think straight any more. All that was left was to throw himself upon the mercy of the bank. Nick closed his eyes. He was desperately tired but he hadn’t slept properly for weeks. There was no escape from the nightmare. He was like an ell skewered to a fishmonger’s slab. The more he squirmed and wriggled the more he tore himself apart. He felt like he was bleeding to death.
From below in reception he could hear the angry buzz from the steady stream of creditors demanding to be paid. Lorna was doing her best to placate them but Nick knew there was no cash to pay the debts. It was just a matter of time before they breached the company’s flimsy defences. Any minute now the electricity could be cut off and the building would grind to a complete halt. In the end even the phones would fall silent. Starved of cash, the oxygen of business, the company was dying. The bank was his last chance, he had nowhere else to turn. This meeting was going to provide the stage for the most important performance of his life. If the bank manager swallowed the flimsy story he was about to spin, his thin tale of distant hope and uncertain redemption, they still had a chance. Nick tried to shut out the noise of those bloody phones. The company didn’t have a job on the books, he’d fired half his staff, and yet still it was bedlam in here.
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 12, 2010
I hope you read every single line
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by Adonike(m): 1:31am On Jun 13, 2010
I've read this novel before!
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 6:52am On Jun 13, 2010
Novel and not a joke
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by cbase: 9:35am On Jun 13, 2010
Stale
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 9:57am On Jun 13, 2010
As usual'
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by EfemenaXY: 10:16am On Jun 13, 2010
<yawns>

'tis not a joke but a bedtime story. . .
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by cbase: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2010
& dis is stl past 9 in d morning
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 3:37pm On Jun 13, 2010
Backoff hater
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
Efemena_xy:

<yawns>

'tis not a joke but a bedtime story. . .

its intent is to put derailers like u and studio to sleep.
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by Dyt(f): 6:23pm On Jun 13, 2010
too long to b a joke
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 6:38pm On Jun 13, 2010
Seconded!
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by D1KeleVra(m): 9:41pm On Jun 13, 2010
sting_224:

I hope you read every single line

You asking urself? cheesy this cwase na A-Level
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by tayoast(m): 9:48pm On Jun 13, 2010
too long 2 be a joke
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by EfemenaXY: 11:55pm On Jun 13, 2010
sting_224:

its intent is to put derailers like u and studio to sleep.

awww c'mon sting - that's not fair! tongue
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by cbase: 10:04am On Jun 14, 2010
such is life.

get used to it
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 10:54am On Jun 14, 2010
Not every idiots that speaks to ME - I speak back at especially when the stupid idiots are not on the same level with ME,
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by tayoast(m): 11:00am On Jun 14, 2010
nawa ooo
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by lysaa(f): 12:28pm On Jun 14, 2010
It was eleven o’ clock on a bright Tuesday morning in the middle of January but it felt like he’d been there all day. Time moves slowly – inexorably slowly – on Death Row. This was the seventeenth year he had ruled over his tiny empire from the safety of his familiar leather swivel chair. A long campaign, an abrupt defeat. Nick stared out with unseeing eyes over the snow-covered golf course. The bank manager was due at any moment.

Are u for real? This sounds so much like Derailed D1Kele. Abi Nick n D1 na the same person?
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by D1KeleVra(m): 12:33pm On Jun 14, 2010
lmao. . . . u get issues grin u dey talk say i not fit differentiate btwn joke and novel? cheesy i swear ur cracking me up grin
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by lysaa(f): 12:43pm On Jun 14, 2010
If the bank manager swallowed the flimsy story he was about to spin, his thin tale of distant hope and uncertain redemption, they still had a chance.
Gosh! bank manager forgot that Nick is a strayed derailed goat from oshodi. All he cares about is money!! angry tongue
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by D1KeleVra(m): 12:53pm On Jun 14, 2010
lol abeg oooo i no be Nick o! cheesy no spoil my name o!
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 12:54pm On Jun 14, 2010
Nick lol
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by D1KeleVra(m): 12:57pm On Jun 14, 2010
angry hey! miscreant! wey ur resket? angry
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 1:01pm On Jun 14, 2010
I don sholve am down your throat
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by lysaa(f): 1:02pm On Jun 14, 2010
D1KeleVra:

lol abeg oooo i no be Nick o! cheesy no spoil my name o!
u dey reject Nick but u accept goat. LOL
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by D1KeleVra(m): 1:03pm On Jun 14, 2010
^^ I sha no be Nick! grin
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by lysaa(f): 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2010
ok Nick, i hear u but try see ya therapist.
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by D1KeleVra(m): 1:16pm On Jun 14, 2010
^^ The bagga don go SA! the barawo, carry my money go lounge. . . i see him pot-belly for t.v. saturday afternoon grin
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by lysaa(f): 1:18pm On Jun 14, 2010
OMG! those ghosts don come ya office come feed u with lies.
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by StudioCFR(m): 2:04pm On Jun 14, 2010
I hate it when people wey live for face me i face dey use internet form wetin dem no be.
Re: A Little Joke By Sting 224 by lysaa(f): 2:06pm On Jun 14, 2010
cover the guy unclothedness small na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rude Boy / Why Is It Better To Be A Woman / If U Don't Laff I Will BAN U!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.