Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,585 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns (34617 Views)

Packaging Food In Polythene Bags Causes Cancer – NAFDAC / Temitayo Abayomi Lawal Battles Cancer Of The Muscles, Needs N4m / Paul Arduad, Congolese Gay Dies Of Cancer Of The Anus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by asawanathegreat(m): 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
One day they will tell us to stop drinking water because it causes cancer of the mouth.
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by omojeesu(m): 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
Yes, it may but risk is reduced with regular intake of vitamin c and glutathione boosters.
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Lexusgs430: 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
Thojan1:
This is what my grandfather ate till he died at 110

Maybe it was the groundnut consumption, that lead to his untimely demise......
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Silumi(f): 1:05pm On Jul 17, 2018
looseweight:
This where this medical students got it wrong. Its not a matter of old groundnuts containing aflatoxin. There is also a high probability of freshly harvested groundnuts to be contaminated with afflatoxin. Also its the metabolic products of aflatoxin that can can cause liver cancer. In fact, I do prescribe eating of groundnuts and water melon for my clients challenged with erectile dysfunction. The only care is to ensure that you consume groundnuts free dyscoloration
Pls what is the idea behind your use of water melon and groundnuts to treat ED?how does it work
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by SheikhMuniru(m): 1:05pm On Jul 17, 2018
INSHAL ALLAH WE SHALL NOT KNOW CANCER IN OUR LIVES
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Silumi(f): 1:06pm On Jul 17, 2018
Beautiful point I guess he was referring to "mouldy" groundnuts a better term than "old" and he is absolutely right that toxin is also present in locally brewed alcohol"brukutu". And is a big risk factor for PLCC
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by effido666: 1:14pm On Jul 17, 2018
looseweight:
This where this medical students got it wrong. Its not a matter of old groundnuts containing aflatoxin. There is also a high probability of freshly harvested groundnuts to be contaminated with afflatoxin. Also its the metabolic products of aflatoxin that can can cause liver cancer. In fact, I do prescribe eating of groundnuts and water melon for my clients challenged with erectile dysfunction. The only care is to ensure that you consume groundnuts free dyscoloration
if not cancer sometin must kil a man
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by frankIzuchukwu(m): 1:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
phase1:
The way some 'doctors' give verdicts without sound evidence-based research befuddles me.
You don't just open your mouth and give medical verdicts without choosing your words carefully.

Yes we know that Aflatoxin can be produced in old food, herbal and even old fruits (not just in groundnut). We know aflatoxin may cause liver issues but the question is- at what dosage? Is the dosage found in 2 or 3 packs of groundnut enough to cause the liver cancer? What is LD50 of aflatoxin and what dosage is required to cause liver cancer and other forms of hepato-pathologies? Etc.

If he had said that 'Those who eat old groundnuts stand the RISKs having liver issues because it may contains Aflatoxins' it would have been undertandable,.
But to give a 'gavel-sounding' verdict that 'Eating old groundnuts gives you liver cancer' sounds nonsensical in the ears of a trained Scientist. Sounded very illiterate.

Don't mind that fake doctor?
any food substance that contain Aflatoxins
can be easily be notice is just a fungi

1 Like

Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by aribisala0(m): 1:18pm On Jul 17, 2018
frankIzuchukwu:

Don't mind that fake doctor?
any food substance that contain Aflatoxins
can be easily be notice is just a fungi
Can anyone please translate this?
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by aribisala0(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2018
Silumi:
Beautiful point I guess he was referring to "mouldy" groundnuts a better term than "old" and he is absolutely right that toxin is also present in locally brewed alcohol"brukutu". And is a big risk factor for PLCC

Mouldy true but the "mouldiness" in most cases is not visible to the nakedd eye. The other thing is the "moulds" may have long since died but the toxin persists.It can be found in Cassava and cassava products, corn and corn products ,rice pepper etc

And not just "local" alcohol it can be found in "international" alcohol if quality control is poor
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Sardauna24(m): 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2018
kallmemrB:
What doesn't cause Cancer nowadays... Even too much boobs sucking is cancer related
u must be stupid..
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Sardauna24(m): 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
kallmemrB:
What doesn't cause Cancer nowadays... Even too much boobs sucking is cancer related
u dey craze ne..it seems that u are not a good christian fool......
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Yankee101: 1:48pm On Jul 17, 2018
Rancid oil. Contains Toxins.

.....Rancid fat is poisonous. It is full of free radicals that will cause long-term harmful health effects concerning advanced aging, neurological disorders, heart disease, and cancer.
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by GreenArrow1(m): 1:48pm On Jul 17, 2018
ALAYORMII:

Why you open mouth??

You neva hear the song

Everything na double double

grin grin grin
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by aribisala0(m): 1:50pm On Jul 17, 2018
Other places you may find aflatoxin

Ogbono

Pepper soup powder mix

Ground Egusi

Yaji suya powder

Ground pepper

Ground ginger
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 17, 2018
Sardauna24:
u dey craze ne..it seems that u are not a good christian fool......
pele

Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Sardauna24(m): 2:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
kallmemrB:
pele
lols..na u sabi...
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Godaboveall2: 2:07pm On Jul 17, 2018
looseweight:
Here, it becomes clear dt only God saves.
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by CheedyJ(m): 2:19pm On Jul 17, 2018
ibori1:
grin

u lie, carry ur cancer story to the moon
On wat basis is d Dr lying? .u shud av brought ur own superior argument on board..
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Dignity12clems: 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
Fungi diseases can't survive after heating, all micro organism will die after heat is added
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Dignity12clems: 2:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
Fungi diseases can't survive after heating, all micro organism will die after heat is added [color=#990000][/color]
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Dammylois(f): 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2018
So which one is old and new? Is production date on the leather
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by joyndidi: 2:58pm On Jul 17, 2018
mikaael:

And I have 6 months old groundnut in my Owz...I can't trow it away o cos na money I take buy am...Thank God i have two Livers..if one stops.anoda will tk over
grin
mikaael:

And I have 6 months old groundnut in my Owz...I can't trow it away o cos na money I take buy am...Thank God i have two Livers..if one stops.anoda will tk over
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by aribisala0(m): 3:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
Dignity12clems:
Fungi diseases can't survive after heating, all micro organism will die after heat is added [color=#990000][/color]
Sometimes it is better to inform yourself well before commenting aand better to be silent than speak from half knowledge because half knowledge is more dangerous that total ignorance
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by udysweet(f): 3:20pm On Jul 17, 2018
My mum died of liver cancer and I'm not surprised at this statement. The doctor we served together did a seminar with us shortly before I got to know about my mums illness,told us about this groundnut thing way back in 2010, that we should avoid buying groundnut from supermarket as they may have stayed long there and developed the mold. I wish we can take things seriously as they are told to us sad
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by aribisala0(m): 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2018
udysweet:
My mum died of liver cancer and I'm not surprised at this statement. The doctor we served together did a seminar with us shortly before I got to know about my mums illness,told us about this groundnut thing way back in 2010, that we should avoid buying groundnut from supermarket as they may have stayed long there and developed the mold. I wish we can take things seriously as they are told to us sad
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Aflatoxin is a significant cause of Liver Cancer but groundnuts are not the only or necessarily the worst culprit in Nigeria though may be in some countries.

In Nigeria Ogbono is probably a worse culprit though man of our foods are susceptible ,

e.g Suya Yaji
Corn, Cassava and anything made from them and many other foods including rice and even miilk that has been pasteurized can be affected.

The toxin is produced by a fungus which can be destroyed by heat but the toxin itself is "heat-stable".
The spores of the fungus are everywhere in our soil. If they contaminate a particular food they are dormant and may not producce any toxin except conditions are favourable e.g moist/decaying food. If food is decaying the vendors will find a wayy to package to minimize their losses. For them to destroy the whole consignment would need a compensation scheme in place

There are many other risk factors for liver cancer e.g being a Hepatitis carrier

1 Like

Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by ElGood: 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2018
IITA have developed aflasave to this effect. Work is ongoing to ensure this aflasave get to groundnut farmers. 21 days after planting,aflasave in apply to kill all aflatoxin and this will make the groundnut save for a long period of time. I have access to aflasave in case a groundnut farmer may need it.
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Jaqenhghar: 3:38pm On Jul 17, 2018
What is old groindnut
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by Jaqenhghar: 3:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
aribisala0:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Aflatoxin is a significant cause of Liver Cancer but groundnuts are not the only or necessarily the worst culprit in Nigeria though may be in some countries.

In Nigeria Ogbono is probably a worse culprit though man of our foods are susceptible ,

e.g Suya Yaji
Corn, Cassava and anything made from them and many other foods including rice and even miilk that has been pasteurized can be affected.

The toxin is produced by a fungus which can be destroyed by heat but the toxin itself is "heat-stable".
The spores of the fungus are everywhere in our soil. If they contaminate a particular food they are dormant and may not producce any toxin except conditions are favourable e.g moist/decaying food. If food is decaying the vendors will find a wayy to package to minimize their losses. For them to destroy the whole consignment would need a compensation scheme in place

There are many other risk factors for liver cancer e.g being a Hepatitis carrier
Thanks for this I'll read up more on this
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by aribisala0(m): 3:57pm On Jul 17, 2018
ElGood:
IITA have developed aflasave to this effect. Work is ongoing to ensure this aflasave get to groundnut farmers. 21 days after planting,aflasave in apply to kill all aflatoxin and this will make the groundnut save for a long period of time. I have access to aflasave in case a groundnut farmer may need it.
Heard about that though why shoould farmers care? What incentive do they have?

Also it is misleading to ssuggest that this is a groundnut thing. This is a contamination thing that affects many grains and roots things like beans and even cocoa are affected

Many things that people keep in their cupboards for months e.g Ogbono,egusi, pepper soup powder and other spices especially those living abroad who keep stuff for ever
Re: 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns by olawonder(m): 4:19pm On Jul 17, 2018
looseweight:
Rubish! Clearly you are not a medical practitioner, you only sell concussion for erectal problems. Facts of what the OP wrote are contained in many medical journals and articles online and at hospitals worldwide. You ought to read them too rather than these usual wash wash medical practices you guys do in Naija!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Healthy Ways To Gain Weight Really Fast / Multi-million Dollar Cardiology Facility Unveiled In Anambra State (photos) / Meet Chidiebere Ibe, Bringing Black Illustrations To The Medical Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.