Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,781 members, 7,955,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:37 PM

Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports (32425 Views)

The Top 10 World’s Most Powerful Passports In 2019 / The 10 Least Most Powerful Passports In Africa / 10 Of The Most Powerful Passports In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by israelmao(m): 9:38am On Jul 20, 2018
Keep keeping us informed.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 20, 2018
Benblaq:
Nigerian passport can ruin your entire image and reputation the moment you bring it out outside Naija
that's not true. I've been carrying Nigerian passport majestically and proudly since 2004. Amazingly, I travelled for the first time to US on a Virgin passport unassisted in my late 20s. I've displayed it in various border posts like US,UK,Germany,Switzerland,France,Holland and the remaining north American countries. Even though I had the opportunity to apply for foreign passport, I declined to do so. I believe in Nigeria. Nigeria has made me and I'm already giving back. You can imagine a US government inviting you for a meeting , being the only one to be so invited in the whole of Nigeria. How many foreign passport holders had such a rare opportunity to have an evening with the US President? I was in Germany recently and on getting to the immigration Officer at the departure post, I presented my passport for stamping and he said wow, so you're from Nigeria. Which part are you from and I said Ekiti state but I live and work in Lagos. He said he loves Lagos as he's been there a couple of times and the gist started. He was so much engrossed with the gist that he forgot many people on the queue. The way you see Nigeria is what becomes of you but many have failed to realise this. Your being born in Nigeria isn't by default. God knows. Ask God to unleash your potentials so you could thrive and fulfill the purpose for which you were born here.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by OlujobaSamuel: 9:48am On Jul 20, 2018
echelons:
I'm still trying to decide what you're implying in number 1.
it means your passport might not be accepted by most embassy because you have a very short period of validity on it.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:48am On Jul 20, 2018
AreaFada2:

Singapore has taken over already. German passport is even way ahead now.

Any European Union/EEA passport is better than Singapore passport though. It is not just about travelling visa free. Unless you're a proffesional tourist paid to review tourist resorts worldwide.

EU/EEA passports will actually allow you not only to travel to around 170 countries visa free (including USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, etc), you can also settle & work in around 40 countries in Western Europe. Including non-EU countries like Norway, Switzerland, etc.

although you are right about the above in bold, remember that, as much as you can relocate to any of these countries, you still need a job to settle there "legally", just like a singaporean would need a job to settle in these places. for example: a French person would need a resident permit to open an account in any Scandinavian country, and only with a job (or sufficient funds) would i be able to get that resident permit, just like a Singaporean would. the only difference here is that, to get that resident permit, the process is easier for an EU national than a Singaporean because of ease of shared information.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by bmaks: 9:49am On Jul 20, 2018
No worry with your Nigerian Passport you can visit 44 countries without getting any visa
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Suko110(m): 9:50am On Jul 20, 2018
bedspread:
I saw this somewhere ...

Yeah the thing Weak me
Lwkmd

Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by izombie(m): 9:51am On Jul 20, 2018
I was home for easter. When i was going back, at the departure hall at MMIA, i was checking-in and the naija guy standing behind me was called to the counter next to mine. As the guy got there na so he brought out norwegian passport. Olboy, i must confess, i was envious of that guy. Scandinavian passports are the bomb.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 20, 2018
oruma19:
i am travelling to sweden to marry one old woman...straight up...i want to be able to travel everywhere in the world without visa...lol

No be money dem dey use buy ticket.? Forget matter. With cash, u can be everywhere even with Somalia passport.

1 Like

Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 20, 2018
Fukafuka:
cool
It's so appalling. Well, another fleet of our national carrier is coming on board in December. I watched the new Nigerian Airways logo on ChannelsTV last night as displayed in London. The new national carrier will be managed by a private entity so, no more of such an arrangement like... my inlaw is the aviation minster sir, here is his card as a pass to board the flight to US...which was always the people's habit back in the days. The federal govt and their relatives ran our airline down. This won't happen again as it's going to be a PPP thing.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by izombie(m): 10:01am On Jul 20, 2018
BedLam:
Dude stop this nonsense of feeling entitled to people liking you all over this world. Your perception of the world is very wrong and flawed. I've not had anyone looked at me or disregarded me for being a Nigerian outside this country. People are always willing to learn more when I tell them I'm a Nigerian. The way you carry yourself and see things is why people disre6 you or maybe just you feeling entitled or being inferior to yourself. Even the Chinese don't like the Japanese that much. Get out of your black as.s and embrace the world. No one owes you a thing, likeness or respect, unless you earn it!
its not about how people treat you but about what countries require from you as a nigerian passport holder. For example, if you are applying for a work permit in maybe america with a nigerian passport, you have a stricter requirement than someone from ghana who is also applying for the work permit.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by blingxx(m): 10:03am On Jul 20, 2018
Fukafuka:
cool

I feel like crying but my eyes don dry
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 20, 2018
Fukafuka:
cool

It is like that everywhere. To buy a flat in England once cost around £25000 but some of those home cost about £800k today.

1 Like

Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Dapsy07: 10:22am On Jul 20, 2018
Benblaq:
Nigerian passport can ruin your entire image and reputation the moment you bring it out outside Naija
no b lie bros
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Orofun1: 10:26am On Jul 20, 2018
Who this non info EPP? You have not said anything abeg [quote author=Revolva post=69541311]For budding travellers, holding their first passport is wonderful. It offers a sense of possibility and excitement. It turns out that there are a lot of other things to know about passports right now. i  highlight a list of 10 facts you may not know about a passport.

Your passport is not necessarily valid until the expiration date

Many countries require you to have a valid passport for up to six months after you arrive which means you can never travel up until the expiration date. The requirement is in place to ensure your passport doesn’t expire while you are travelling.

Nicaraguan passports are among the hardest to forge 

With no fewer than 89 security features, including ‘bio-dimensional barcodes’, holograms and watermarks, the Nicaraguan passport is among the hardest documents in the world to forge.

Getting a visa may take more time than you think.

Applying for a visa can be among the most complicated document transactions you will ever encounter. Many countries have multiple types, including tourist, work, business and student visas, and the application process and turnaround times can vary dramatically for each.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:28am On Jul 20, 2018
MsGood:
You stole this article from SDK blog without credit. Continue o.
Is that true? I trust Stella she go yab am if she sees this post. How are you doing three lions supporter?
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by BedLam: 10:29am On Jul 20, 2018
izombie:
its not about how people treat you but about what countries require from you as a nigerian passport holder. For example, if you are applying for a work permit in maybe america with a nigerian passport, you have a stricter requirement than someone from ghana who is also applying for the work permit.
So what? Indians get that too. So what again?
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by oruma19: 10:34am On Jul 20, 2018
lolzzzz...badt guy..
correctguy0900:

No be money dem dey use buy ticket.? Forget matter. With cash, u can be everywhere even with Somalia passport.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by ohem007(m): 10:41am On Jul 20, 2018
Fukafuka:
cool

that one na then o....

Back then 17k aint no joke
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by MsGood(f): 10:59am On Jul 20, 2018
Gaddafithe2nd:

Is that true? I trust Stella she go yab am if she sees this post. How are you doing three lions supporter?
Lol. I'm cool, just job hunting.
I saw it on SDK yesterday, word for word. Even the pictures are the same.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:11am On Jul 20, 2018
MsGood:

Lol. I'm cool, just job hunting.
I saw it on SDK yesterday, word for word. Even the pictures are the same.
The job hunting is everywhere. God will make it easy. Just keep trying.

1 Like

Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by AreaFada2: 12:12pm On Jul 20, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

although you are right about the above in bold, remember that, as much as you can relocate to any of these countries, you still need a job to settle there "legally", just like a singaporean would need a job to settle in these places. for example: a French person would need a resident permit to open an account in any Scandinavian country, and only with a job (or sufficient funds) would i be able to get that resident permit, just like a Singaporean would. the only difference here is that, to get that resident permit, the process is easier for an EU national than a Singaporean because of ease of shared information.
Actually quite different for a French person within EU. A French person is automatically able to seek work anywhere in EU. Whereas a Singaporean cannot seek a job without already having the permit. Until UK leaves EU, a Dutch person needs no permit all in UK to work and live. The permit is a formality, not a necessity.
Having used same right within several EEA countries I know what I am talking about.

Some EEA/EU nations are slightly stricter. Like Scandinavian countries perhaps.
Also the low fees an EU person can pay like locals within EU is not same as Singaporeans who pay full foreigner's fees.

I remember Japanese, American, Singaporean and other foreign colleagues paying around 30k dollars annual tuition fees while EU paid around 3k dollars like locals for the most competitive course in a top UK school.

Just visa free on the surface is deceptive. Only important to those countries whose citizens do tourism a lot. That is why typical net emigration countries like Nigeria do not get such privileges.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by pgodson7(m): 12:29pm On Jul 20, 2018
op, currently persons with singaporean passports can travel to 180 countries
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2018
AreaFada2:

Actually quite different for a French person within EU. A French person is automatically able to seek work anywhere in EU. Whereas a Singaporean cannot seek a job without already having the permit. Until UK leaves EU, a Dutch person needs no permit all in UK to work and live. The permit is a formality, not a necessity.
Having used same right within several EEA countries I know what I am talking about.

Some EEA/EU nations are slightly stricter. Like Scandinavian countries perhaps.

as i clearly stated about Scandinavian countries, i dont know why you are talking of UK and Dutch. within EU, any EU citizen can work in any other EU country, duh! thats a not brainer.....but if you step in Scandinavia, then its a whole different ball game. ANYBODY can look for a job anywhere in the world, finding the job is NOT the issue, WORKING is. so let me educate you, since you seem to not know. i am gonna take Scandinavia as an example since i have lived in Norway AND Denmark, and i am French.
even though i can easily find a job, i need a resident permit to LEGALLY work in these countries (or even stay more than 3 months there)

here is a link for confirmation... https://www.statsforvaltningen.dk/site.aspx?p=6028

so to make it clear, when i find a job in Scandinavia, i need to go to the residence place to get my residency before i can legally work there and get my full salary. if i dont have it, i will therefore be deducted 50% taxes on whatever i make (until i get my residency/CPR number and finally pay the normal 36%)

Also the low fees an EU person can pay like locals within EU is not same as Singaporeans who pay full foreigner's fees.
I remember Japanese, American, Singaporean and other foreign colleagues paying around 30k dollars annual tuition fees while EU paid around 3k dollars like locals for the most competitive course in a top UK school.

you started talking about "settle and work", now you branch into studying, which is a totally different ball game... but again, EU citizen SHOULD pay less tuition fees since we are all part of the EU. makes sense, doesnt it?! just like i would pay more tuition fee than any south american student, if i went to study in Colombia or Brazil because i am not part of the MERCOSUR countries.

Just visa free on the surface is deceptive. Only important to those countries whose citizens do tourism a lot. That is why typical net emigration countries like Nigeria do not get such privileges.

therefore thats why you should value Singapore passport instead of looking down on it.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by FKMagazine(m): 1:32pm On Jul 20, 2018
Promo! Promo!! Promo!!!
Get complete oil & Gas manual at a give away price - for just #500 (naira) only. This a manual I normally sell for 5k for those who who me. You will never regret you have it...hence, you will start making money immediately...Yes, I mean immediately.

N.B. All kits needed to boost & kick-start the Biz is already inside plus other follow-up links, pls don't call or text me if u don't have a little start up capital.

Making Money Made Easier!!!
you can whatsapp me on: 09073982244 to order

This is an opportunity of a life time, dont miss it!
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by TeetoEsq(m): 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
abeg how far for lybia. How can I enter lybia with my Nigerian passport?
Pls help....
I want to go and bring back home my brothers over there.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by DJInfluence: 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2018
Benblaq:
which means our own get Correct feature na grin grin grin
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by alatbaba1(m): 3:09pm On Jul 20, 2018
Ijaya123:

It is pretty obvious you do not have one. People that talk like this are the useless ones. Same passport millions of well-meaning Nigerians have been using...

have been to more country you can ever imagine. I still maintain the fact that Nigerian passport is worthless out there. if u know u know.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by alatbaba1(m): 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2018
UNIQUEISRAEL:

I'm sure you don't have one, because if you have I'm very sure your uselessness is raise to the power of 72. shocked

You don't appreciate little beginning...

I don't normally do this. manage and face the fact. our passport is worthless.
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Ijaya123: 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2018
alatbaba1:

have been to more country you can ever imagine. I still maintain the fact that Nigerian passport is worthless out there. if u know u know.

With the same useless and worthless passport I guess? grin grin grin
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by Nategaoo: 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2018
Benblaq:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by AreaFada2: 4:42pm On Jul 20, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

as i clearly stated about Scandinavian countries, i dont know why you are talking of UK and Dutch. within EU, any EU citizen can work in any other EU country, duh! thats a not brainer.....but if you step in Scandinavia, then its a whole different ball game. ANYBODY can look for a job anywhere in the world, finding the job is NOT the issue, WORKING is. so let me educate you, since you seem to not know. i am gonna take Scandinavia as an example since i have lived in Norway AND Denmark, and i am French.
even though i can easily find a job, i need a resident permit to LEGALLY work in these countries (or even stay more than 3 months there)

here is a link for confirmation... https://www.statsforvaltningen.dk/site.aspx?p=6028

so to make it clear, when i find a job in Scandinavia, i need to go to the residence place to get my residency before i can legally work there and get my full salary. if i dont have it, i will therefore be deducted 50% taxes on whatever i make (until i get my residency/CPR number and finally pay the normal 36%)

you started talking about "settle and work", now you branch into studying, which is a totally different ball game... but again, EU citizen SHOULD pay less tuition fees since we are all part of the EU. makes sense, doesnt it?! just like i would pay more tuition fee than any south american student, if i went to study in Colombia or Brazil because i am not part of the MERCOSUR countries.

therefore thats why you should value Singapore passport instead of looking down on it.

Simple thing for me: I do not value just visa free because anyone rich enough to be an international tourist can equally afford regular visa fees. That is life. In a pragmatic world the more you have to spend the more the incentive you are given to come and spend. Free visa is such. If we had continued to develop as we were in the 1960s by now we would be economically rich enough to seen as tourist spenders.

I clearly emphasized what I find important. Just free visa to go spend money might be attractive to you, but not to everyone. More important to the average African who are majority on this forum would be ability to freely move into a country, settle, work and study paying low fees or no fees. That is certainly more important from African perspective and other developing nations. People more likely to cross hazardous terrains like the desert to reach a Western country. And face harsh visa conditions and often face immigration detention & deportation.
You seem to want to dictate the scope of discussion. I wonder how in a shallow way you consider travelling, settlement/working/studies as mutually exclusive. Totally funny to me. grin cheesy grin

We both have different ideas about immigration and travelling. IT IS COMPLETELY wrong that anyone can seek a job anywhere. If you were visiting a country on a tourist visa, you are not legally allowed to seek jobs in most countries. That people do so in Dubai/UAE doesn't mean it applies to all countries. Unless for certain skill shortage professions where such is expressly allowed legally according to the country's needs.

You talk about Scandinavia as if they were cocooned from rest of the world. Finland, Sweden & Denmark that are part of EU also roughly follow the free settlement rules of EU citizens. So why not relate them to UK or Germany for example?
Re: Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports by FKMagazine(m): 5:13pm On Jul 20, 2018
BE THE FIRST TO ENJOY THIS LIMITED OFFER

Promo! Promo!! Promo!!!
Get complete oil & Gas manual at a give away price - for just #500 (naira) only. This is a manual I normally sell for 5k for those who who me. You will never regret you have it...hence, you will start making money immediately...Yes, I mean immediately.

N.B. All kits needed to boost & kick-start the Biz is already inside plus other follow-up links, pls don't call or text me if u don't have a little start up capital.

Making Money Made Easier!!!
you can whatsapp me on: 09073982244 to order

This is an opportunity of a life time, dont miss it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad / Top Five Countries With Bad Housing System In The World: Postingday.com / Bus Somersaults 3 Times In Enugu While Avoiding Hilux, 6 Burnt (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.