Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (102931 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:22pm On Apr 12, 2022
Queenslander:
Careers,. Your welcome ❤️
...lol...thank you.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:40pm On Apr 12, 2022
carbonado:
....even if they do play, you might not play more than a competition and that is it, unlike other countries, America churns them out way too much, even Nnekka who is a legend was served breakfast.....

They won't even be invited. You can take it to the bank. Like you rightly noted, the supply of talents the US basketball program keeps churning out on a yearly basis is greater than the demand. You have to be exceptional at this stage or possess peculiar skill set for you to be selected. Even Arike Ogunbowale won't be called up to play for the US, I'm surprised she hasn't actively made steps to play for Nigeria. Maybe she's like Victor Oladipo with no national team affiliation.

For now the girls should focus on doing well in the WNBA, if not they'll be shipped out before they know it. Acktor was one of the first pick of the draft during her time but she sadly didn't impress and was shipped off

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:50pm On Apr 12, 2022
lovewins:

They won't even be invited. You can take it to the bank. Like you rightly noted, the supply of talents the US basketball program keeps churning out on a yearly basis is greater than the demand. You have to be exceptional at this stage or possess peculiar skill set for you to be selected. Even Arike Ogunbowale won't be called up to play for the US, I'm surprised she hasn't actively made steps to play for Nigeria. Maybe she's like Victor Oladipo with no national team affiliation.

For now the girls should focus on doing well in the WNBA, if not they'll be shipped out before they know it. Acktor was one of the first pick of the draft during her time but she sadly didn't impress and was shipped off
...Evelyn problem was that,she could not shoot. She struggle even from free throws often too.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 9:09pm On Apr 12, 2022
carbonado:
...Evelyn problem was that,she could not shoot. She struggle even from free throws often too.

To think she was 3rd overall pick for the draft. She only did months before Dallas Wings dropped her. Every Dtigress player who was drafted had same experience. Not sure any of them spent up to a year in the WNBA. Glad they all picked up and are doing well for themselves in Europe.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 12:50am On Apr 13, 2022
Queenslander:
I see, Cool,. We know they're Nigerians, buh the problem is, Will they play for Nigeria?? That's the million dollar question

If the NBBF act on time, then there is a reasonable chance of both ladies being invited to D’Tigress camp

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by munachiso58(m): 9:52pm On Apr 13, 2022
Queenslander:
Careers,. Your welcome ❤️
u like trouble oo
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 3:22am On Apr 14, 2022
munachiso58:

u like trouble oo
Nah,. That's not entirely true tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 10:32am On Apr 19, 2022
Mark Williams (20) just declared for the 2022 NBA draft. He had hitherto been a player for Duke. Worthy of note is that Mark is younger brother to Elizabeth Williams whose request to play for the D'tigress during the last Olympics wasn't approved by FIBA.

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:57pm On Apr 19, 2022
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 1:06am On Apr 20, 2022
carbonado:
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
WTH?!

Some I.d.iots at the NBBF have massively dropped the ball. Smh
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:44am On Apr 20, 2022
PDPGuy:

WTH?!

They've gone quite since the election. Musa Kids and his goons were everywhere prior to the election, using the NBBF official communication channels for his campaign, not that he's been "elected" into office they've gone quite.

Remember the coach almost didn't make it to Serbia for the qualifiers, asides the fact that they were owning him, he wasn't even contacted. He was there cause of the girls. Thankfully he's gotten a better gig from this.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 9:31am On Apr 20, 2022
PDPGuy:

WTH?!

....Sad much, the titles NBBF claims is their achievement, is of the back of the coaches and this ladies, that was the only thing we had going, the male team was a mess, the age grade team was a mess, the domestic leagues was a huge mess. They had only one thing to do, keep the girls and the coaches happy, however, the messed up.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 9:33am On Apr 20, 2022
Also, it is possible that he still coaches the ladies, however, it will be on part time bases, you know, the most we have, is a tournament per season, so, maybe they can work that out. it will just be like Coach K of Duke University.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 11:54am On Apr 21, 2022
carbonado:
it doesn't mean he aint still d coach of d tigress

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 3:21pm On Apr 21, 2022
carbonado:
Also, it is possible that he still coaches the ladies, however, it will be on part time bases, you know, the most we have, is a tournament per season, so, maybe they can work that out. it will just be like Coach K of Duke University.

Okay. That’s a plausible scenario. After all, Guus Hiddink was once coaching both Chelsea and Russia at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 3:53pm On Apr 21, 2022
PDPGuy:

Okay. That’s a plausible scenario. After all, Guus Hiddink was once coaching both Chelsea and Russia at the same time.
... Yeap, i just wish NBBF take good care of business, the man has done well with that team, and with him tge squad has grown stronger and stronger. I just imagine what he can do with inclusion of players like Micheala, Elizabeth Williams et al.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 4:19pm On Apr 25, 2022
Former WBNA star Candice Wiggins has claimed that she suffered from bullying in the sport due to being heterosexual, as the game is dominated by lesbian players.

The Stanford University point guard was a standout during her college career, going on to enjoy an eight-year spell in the professional game before retiring in 2015 following an extremely short stint with the New York Liberty.

Now removed from the game, she has criticised the culture which blighted her enjoyment of her time in the big leagues.

"My dreams didn't come true in the WBNA, in fact it was quite the opposite," she said in a revealing interview with the San Diego Tribune.

"I wanted to play for two more seasons but my mental state didn't lend itself to that. I didn't like the culture inside the WBNA and without saying too much, it was toxic for me and my spirit was being broken.

"Being heterosexual and straight and vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge. I would say 98 percent of the women in the WBNA are gay women.

"There was a whole different set of rules they could apply. There was a lot of jealousy and competition and we're all fighting for crumbs."

The 30-year-old confessed that she believes her sexual orientation contributed to making her a target for other players in the league.

"The way I looked and the way I played created tension," she continued. "People were deliberately trying to hurt me all the time.

"I had never been called the b-word so many times in my life than I was during my rookie season. I'd never been thrown to the ground so much.

"The message was: 'We don't like you and we want you to know that'. It comes to a point where you get compared so much to the men that you start to mirror them.

"So many people think that you must look and play like a man in order to gain respect but I was the opposite. I was proud to be a women but it didn't fit well into that culture."

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:05pm On May 04, 2022
Victoria Macaulay in the WNBA

Victoria signs for the Las Vegas Aces

Very well deserved

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by hismail1(m): 5:41pm On May 12, 2022
Following the power tussle in the NBBF, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate withdrawal of Nigeria from all international basketball competitions for two years. This was made known by the Permanent Secretary of Federal Ministry Of Youth&Sports, Ismaila Abubakar

Twitter: @Queenjohn4

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 8:26pm On May 12, 2022
hismail1:
Following the power tussle in the NBBF, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate withdrawal of Nigeria from all international basketball competitions for two years. This was made known by the Permanent Secretary of Federal Ministry Of Youth&Sports, Ismaila Abubakar

Twitter: @Queenjohn4

Mixed feelings
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 8:49pm On May 12, 2022
As said by naptu

“I think they want to use the Yar'Adua and Goodluck Jonathan strategy.

In 2008 Nigerian football authorities presented an inflated budget to the government for the hosting of the 2009 FIFA Under 17 World Cup in Nigeria. President Yar'Adua then suddenly decided that Nigeria would no longer host the tournament. This shocking decision forced the sports authorities to drastically reduce the budget. (Nigeria hosted a very good tournament)

In 2010, after a disastrous World Cup both on and off the field, President Goodluck Jonathan decided that Nigeria would not get involved in international football for two years. FIFA gave us a deadline to reverse that decision and the football authorities promised to shape up. President Jonathan changed his mind after receiving promises from the football authorities. (Nigeria went on to win the 2013 African Nations Cup).

The Basketball Federation has been embroiled in a crisis for almost 4 years. There are 2 presidents and 2 boards. All efforts by the Sports Ministry to resolve the crisis has failed. In fact, some people now accuse the Sports Ministry of being a party to the crisis. Well, the Federal Government has now announced that Nigeria will not take part in international basketball matches for the next two years and that an interim committee will be set up to manage the Nigerian Basketball Federation (NBBF).

My main concern is that our girls are scheduled to take part in the World Cup in Australia in a few months and nothing should jeopardise their chances of competing in the tournament. I am convinced that they will have a good outing and I don't want another Rashidi Yekini - South Africa '96 situation.”
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 7:46pm On May 15, 2022
Got this somewhere.

What do you guys think?

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by hismail1(m): 12:21pm On May 21, 2022
FIBA has written to the NBBF President threatening potential disciplinary actions if Nigeria’s absence from International competitions for the next two years materializes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by hismail1(m): 12:43pm On Jun 02, 2022
Mali �� have been invited to participate in the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 following the withdrawal of Nigeria ��.

https://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2022/news/fiba-decision-on-nigerias-participation-in-the-fiba-womens-basketball-world-cup-2022
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Famocious(m): 1:36pm On Jun 02, 2022
What a big shame to this country.. Imagine what the efforts and sacrifice the ladies put in to qualify for this tournament but the greedy and purposeless people at NBBF soiled everything for them.

It's really sad!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by marvin906(m): 10:45pm On Jun 02, 2022
Dare is a bastard, so this was the best way to deal with this issue
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:28pm On Jun 03, 2022
The two years ban will not achieve any result... Nothing will change..
We all know that the decision was taken in an attempt by the minister to show his superiority over the federation..
I feel for the girls...After all the sacrifice and efforts they put into qualifying for the world cup...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:41pm On Jun 03, 2022
Danielnino00:
The two years ban will not achieve any result... Nothing will change..
We all know that the decision was taken in an attempt by the minister to show his superiority over the federation..
I feel for the girls...After all the sacrifice and efforts they put into qualifying for the world cup...

Let me help us better understand the fallacy of that decision. After the exhaustion of the 2 year self ban and any other ban FIBA might place on us, FIBA will only still recognize the Musa Kida led board as the legitimate NBBF board so we are back to where we started. Sunday Dare really messed up.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 9:55am On Jun 23, 2022
Breaking News!!

The ban has been overturned!

We are back!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Pidginwhisper: 10:28am On Jun 23, 2022
Danielnino00:
Breaking News!!

We are back!!
Yes back to Zero. They players should boycott the National Team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 10:31am On Jun 23, 2022
Danielnino00:
Breaking News!!

We are back!!
Has the crisis be resolved too or we are back to playing ostrich?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by hatakekakashi: 10:42am On Jun 23, 2022
Danielnino00:
Breaking News!!

We are back!!
Seriously!!!

What about the players that left the team? And the spot we lost to Mali? Unfortunately, the damage has been done. Just because of the actions of a small group of people cry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (99) (Reply)

Josip Ilicic Caught His Wife Cheating, May Not Play Against PSG / Lady Caught Giving Her Man Hand Job Inside The Stadium At The 2018 World Cup. / Ahmed Musa Flaunts His Man Of The Match Award After World Cup Heroics. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.