Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (102961 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 8:20pm On Jun 29, 2022
Memberclub:
this squad is okay to qualify

Our opponents aren't that easy... We have to be wary...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:25pm On Jun 29, 2022
Danielnino00:

Our opponents aren't that easy... We have to be wary...

We just need to win 2 of 3. We should be fine
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 11:13am On Jul 01, 2022
Nigeria vs Cape Verde is on now...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 11:20am On Jul 01, 2022
Nigeria -17 vs Cape Verde- 14 2nd quarter
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 11:45am On Jul 01, 2022
Nigeria -26 Cape Verde- 39
Half time
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 3:41pm On Jul 01, 2022
3rd time Cape Verde is serving us breakfast.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:27pm On Jul 01, 2022
somehow:
3rd time Cape Verde is serving us breakfast.

We are the ones giving them the chance by parading weak teams...

I hope this NBBF and sport ministry idea of developing our grassroot basketball doesn't include imposing home based players on the team...
I can't understand why they can't get a better team together during the off season.....
And this idea of constantly changing the team doesn't make sense.. It doesn't give room for team bonding
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:08pm On Jul 01, 2022
Danielnino00:

We are the ones giving them the chance by parading weak teams...

I hope this NBBF and sport ministry idea of developing our grassroot basketball doesn't include imposing home based players on the team...
I can't understand why they can't get a better team together during the off season.....
And this idea of constantly changing the team doesn't make sense.. It doesn't give room for team bonding

We can rain blames on the NBBF for being inefficient and rightly so, but we also shouldn't hold them responsible for something beyond their control.

The first qualifier round, many of the guys who went for the Olympics had just begun the NBA season and couldn't participate for that reason. It had nothing to do with the NBBF's preference but more about availability. They had to work with the players they could get most of whom played in Europe and Africa.

This second round of qualifiers is similar to the first. As at a week ago we weren't going to participate in this qualifiers. Many of the players already had prior engagements, and those who didn't for whatever reason couldn't make it. Again they had to work around those they could get for the game.

Hoping that we scale through this round and have a more formidable team for the third round.

Mali apparently didn't play their first game as the players were protesting non-payment of their allowances. Uganda walked them over. If they do same tomorrow, it means we'll only have to beat Uganda to qualify.

An aside, if the Malian federation is having issues with money, they should please pull their girls out if the world cup so we can reclaim our rightful spot biko.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 7:20pm On Jul 01, 2022
lovewins:

We can rain blames on the NBBF for being inefficient and rightly so, but we also shouldn't hold them responsible for something beyond their control.

The first qualifier round, many of the guys who went for the Olympics had just begun the NBA season and couldn't participate for that reason. It had nothing to do with the NBBF's preference but more about availability. They had to work with the players they could get most of whom played in Europe and Africa.

This second round of qualifiers is similar to the first. As at a week ago we weren't going to participate in this qualifiers. Many of the players already had prior engagements, and those who didn't for whatever reason couldn't make it. Again they had to work around those they could get for the game.

Hoping that we scale through this round and have a more formidable team for the third round.

Mali apparently didn't play their first game as the players were protesting non-payment of their allowances. Uganda walked them over. If they do same tomorrow, it means we'll only have to beat Uganda to qualify.

An aside, if the Malian federation is having issues with money, they should please pull their girls out if the world cup so we can reclaim our rightful spot biko.

I do understand that the process of selecting players for the team isn't easy given the circumstances.. But I believe we could have gotten a better team than this one and the one we took to the afrobasket...Honestly we messed up with that afrobasket team... Even without the NBA boys, I'm sure we could have found decent players in the eruoleague, champions league, ABA league and other top leagues in Europe...No disrespect to the players that represent us though..

Well..we are still very much on course to qualify out of the group... today's game wasn't that bad...

To your last paragraph, the NBBF just teased that there may be good news concerning our world cup participation....it's on their Facebook page.... let's wait and see...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by VicThory(m): 9:53pm On Jul 01, 2022
Greetings... who can assist me with a basketball academy around alimosho, ejigbo and isolo axis. it's seriously needed. I'd have love to go stadium but the distance and travel expenses is much
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by hismail1(m): 6:36am On Jul 02, 2022
grin smiley grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 11:24am On Jul 02, 2022
Mali again didn't show up for game 2 against Nigeria. Game forfeited and Nigeria given 3 points (Nig 20 Mali 0).

Maybe, just maybe this will be a blessing in disguise for the Dtigress.

FIBA shouldn't risk the Malians not showing up for the World Cup and reinstate Nigeria.

The Malians are obviously having money problems, they shouldn't undertake a world cup with its numerous expenses and rather put their house in order.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 12:42pm On Jul 02, 2022
lovewins:
Mali again didn't show up for game 2 against Nigeria. Game forfeited and Nigeria given 3 points (Nig 20 Mali 0).

Maybe, just maybe this will be a blessing in disguise for the Dtigress.

FIBA shouldn't risk the Malians not showing up for the World Cup and reinstate Nigeria.

The Malians are obviously having money problems, they shouldn't undertake a world cup with its numerous expenses and rather put their house in order.

Mali should do the honourable thing by pulling out .. They didn't earn the ticket, neither are they prepared for it....
I'm still positive that the girls will be at the world cup... It was reported that the leadership of the NBBF had a meeting with FIBA before the decision to call off the ban was made..I'm sure the issue of reinstating D'tigress was discussed
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 12:52pm On Jul 02, 2022
Danielnino00:

Mali should do the honourable thing by pulling out .. They didn't earn the ticket, neither are they prepared for it....
I'm still positive that the girls will be at the world cup... It was reported that the leadership of the NBBF had a meeting with FIBA before the decision to call off the ban was made..I'm sure the issue of reinstating D'tigress was discussed

FIBA isn't obligated to return the ticket, they never took it in the first place, we instead gave it up after numerous appeals from FIBA.

The discussion with FIBA was limited to Nigeria's reinstatement. According to Colin Udoh, FIBA didn't even want to meet with the minister. He had tried to meet them but they refused. It took the intervention of Masai Ujiri who appealed to FIBA to at least listen to what he has to say for the meeting to happen. FIBA categorically told Dare in that meeting that if he didn't lift the ban and Nigeria missed the qualifiers, we were going to get a 5 year Ban and whenever we decide to return, Musa Kida will still be the only president recognised by FIBA and he'll have to serve his 4 year tenure before another election takes place. Dare seeing the handwriting on the wall had to fold. So reinstating the girls wasn't even a consideration. However, with what is going on with Mali now and hopefully some luck on our side, we may see the girls reinstated. Fingers crossed!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2022
lovewins:

FIBA isn't obligated to return the ticket, they never took it in the first place, we instead gave it up after numerous appeals from FIBA.

The discussion with FIBA was limited to Nigeria's reinstatement. According to Colin Udoh, FIBA didn't even want to meet with the minister. He had tried to meet them but they refused. It took the intervention of Masai Ujiri who appealed to FIBA to at least listen to what he has to say for the meeting to happen. FIBA categorically told Dare in that meeting that if he didn't lift the ban and Nigeria missed the qualifiers, we were going to get a 5 year Ban and whenever we decide to return, Musa Kida will still be the only president recognised by FIBA and he'll have to serve his 4 year tenure before another election takes place. Dare seeing the handwriting on the wall had to fold. So reinstating the girls wasn't even a consideration. However, with what is going on with Mali now and hopefully some luck on our side, we may see the girls reinstated. Fingers crossed!!!

Omo! I saw the Masai Ujuri interview that was even posted on the Toronto Raptors official Facebook page...The man genuinely cares for our basketball.. Sunday Dare is just being proud.. I can bet my balls that the matter never really reached Buhari directly..Dare just used his power in the presidency to take the decision... He just want control of our sport federation..Same thing be tried with the super eagles... I really hope however wins the election next year doesn't continue this clownish tradition of appointing ministers who have little to no experience in their given portfolio..All this politically induced appointment...

So in your opinion,and according to the rule..If Mali decides to pull out of the world cup, does that mean we are automatically reinstated? Or does Mali have to write to FIBA to hand us back the ticket? I'm not sure how it works..
Russia were also removed from the competition and replaced by Puerto Rico
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 1:09pm On Jul 02, 2022
Just in:

Mali Disqualified from the Qualifiers Competition.

Due to their failure to appear to its games against Uganda on July 1 and against Nigeria on July 2 in the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 African Qualifiers, the Mali National Team has lost each of these games by forfeit.

According to the official basketball rules, if in a tournament the team forfeits for the second time, the team shall be disqualified from the tournament and the results of all games played by this team shall be nullified.

The remaining games of the third Window of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 African Qualifiers will take place as scheduled

NB: this doesn't mean Mali has been banned nor the Dtigress reinstated. But let's see how events unfold
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2022
Danielnino00:

So in your opinion,and according to the rule..If Mali decides to pull out of the world cup, does that mean we are automatically reinstated? Or does Mali have to write to FIBA to hand us back the ticket? I'm not sure how it works..
Russia were also removed from the competition and replaced by Puerto Rico

I'm really not sure if there's any FIBA rule that covers this as this is a peculiar situation and quite frankly, I'm not sure they would have envisaged this. I however think discretion will play a big role in this.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 6:30pm On Jul 02, 2022
Mali's disqualification means that Nigeria has qualified for the fin round regardless of our result tomorrow against Uganda.. Cape Verde and Uganda have also qualified.. Cape Verde are the group winners...

The final round of the qualifier will start next month...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 6:31pm On Jul 02, 2022
lovewins:

I'm really not sure if there's any FIBA rule that covers this as this is a peculiar situation and quite frankly, I'm not sure they would have envisaged this. I however think discretion will play a big role in this.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:42pm On Jul 02, 2022
Danielnino00:

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

I still think the best chance we've got if any is persuading Mali to relinquish the ticket to us. Trying to bully them out will likely not work. Though the Men's team decided not to participate in the Qualifiers due to non-payment of allowances, the women may think differently.

Also, Mali is currently in Spain participating in th FIBA u-17 world cup championship. They have a game now as we speak. We have to somehow appeal to them and quickly for this to be possible.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 10:20am On Jul 04, 2022
For the next round, we have been moved to group F...... We are with Cape Verde,Uganda, Ivory Coast, Angola and Guinea..

All the results from the first round were carried over to this stage, as a result we are ranked 4th in the group... Only the top 2 teams from the group will get automatic qualification to the world cup!

NBBF need to do all they can to get us a better squad for the next round... If we joke around, we may lost this ticket... Ivory Coast, Angola and Cape Verde are decent teams...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by justicechichex: 11:49am On Jul 04, 2022
Danielnino00:
For the next round, we have been moved to group F...... We are with Cape Verde,Uganda, Ivory Coast, Angola and Guinea..

All the results from the first round were carried over to this stage, as a result we are ranked 4th in the group... Only the top 2 teams from the group will get automatic qualification to the world cup!

NBBF need to do all they can to get us a better squad for the next round... If we joke around, we may lost this ticket... Ivory Coast, Angola and Cape Verde are decent teams...

When is the next round of qualifiers coming up?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2022
Danielnino00:

I sincerely don't know how this works considering only 4 games were allotted to Nigeria, Cape Verde and Uganda. How exactly will this work?

Does the ranking have any consequence qualification wise? How exactly do they factor in points lost as a result of the Mali game being cancelled?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2022
lovewins:

I sincerely don't know how this works considering only 4 games were allotted to Nigeria, Cape Verde and Uganda. How exactly will this work?

Does the ranking have any consequence qualification wise? How exactly do they factor in points lost as a result of the Mali game being cancelled?

The top 3 teams from each group in the first round were paired against each other... Group A teams and group C...Group B with group D ..
So we now have group E(top 3 in A and C) and group F (top 3 in B and D)..
Since Mali result has been annulled, we,alongside Cape Verde and Guinea are adjudged to have played 4 games as against 6 games by the other group members.. This put us at a disadvantage..
For instance,we are on 6 points...Ivory Coast who top the group are on 12 points...
It doesn't make any sense...

We have to finish in the top 2 to qualify for the world cup ...3rd place means we will be ranked against the 3rd ranked team in group F....Given the circumstances, it also put us at a disadvantage..

Mali seem to be all out to pour sand in our garri for both the male and female team grin
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 1:01pm On Jul 04, 2022
justicechichex:

When is the next round of qualifiers coming up?
August 26
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2022
As it stands in Group F.

1. Ivory Coast- 12 points +61 PD

2. Angola - 10 points +79 PD

3. Cape Verde- 7 points +23 PD

4. Guinea - 7 points -56 PD

5. Nigeria -6 points +28 PD

6. Uganda - 5 points -51 PD ..
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2022
Danielnino00:

The top 3 teams from each group in the first round were paired against each other... Group A teams and group C...Group B with group D ..
So we now have group E(top 3 in A and C) and group F (top 3 in B and D)..
Since Mali result has been annulled, we,alongside Cape Verde and Guinea are adjudged to have played 4 games as against 6 games by the other group members.. This put us at a disadvantage..
For instance,we are on 6 points...Ivory Coast who top the group are on 12 points...
It doesn't make any sense...

We have to finish in the top 2 to qualify for the world cup ...3rd place means we will be ranked against the 3rd ranked team in group F....Given the circumstances, it also put us at a disadvantage..

Mali seem to be all out to pour sand in our garri for both the male and female team grin

I sincerely do not think that is plausible considering. There is obviously another way we'll be adjudged and I'll like to be privy to that. Based on your postulation, there's no way we would qualify even if we win all our games. At beat we'll have 12 points while Ivory coast and Angola will have 15 points and 13 points respectively even if they lose all their games.

There has to be another method to determining who qualifies. If you find it kindly let us know
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
lovewins:

I sincerely do not think that is plausible considering. There is obviously another way we'll be adjudged and I'll like to be privy to that. Based on your postulation, there's no way we would qualify even if we win all our games. At beat we'll have 12 points while Ivory coast and Angola will have 15 points and 13 points respectively even if they lose all their games.

There has to be another method to determining who qualifies. If you find it kindly let us know

My brother, I've explained it the way I understood it myself o cheesy
it's from Wikipedia I got the information from...its all stated there .
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:47pm On Jul 04, 2022
Danielnino00:

My brother, I've explained it the way I understood it myself o cheesy
it's from Wikipedia I got the information from...its all stated there .

Yeah. I checked it out there too. Let's see how it goes
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 7:31pm On Aug 06, 2022
It's less than a month to the world cup and no news whatsoever of our girls having any chance of participating... It's pathetic..

I was reading some news items the other day about Liz Cambage quiting the Los Angeles Sparks and the incident involving her and our women team in that pre Olympic friendly kept coming up in most of the articles.... And the Ogwumike sisters name also .. They kept making reference to the fact that they are Nigerians and wish to play for us...I just SMH.... NBBF and the ministry of sport have done us badly
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:16pm On Aug 06, 2022
Danielnino00:
It's less than a month to the world cup and no news whatsoever of our girls having any chance of participating... It's pathetic..

I was reading some news items the other day about Liz Cambage quiting the Los Angeles Sparks and the incident involving her and our women team in that pre Olympic friendly kept coming up in most of the articles.... And the Ogwumike sisters name also .. They kept making reference to the fact that they are Nigerians and wish to play for us...I just SMH.... NBBF and the ministry of sport have done us badly

If you remember, I said it will take a miracle for us to feature in the world cup and that folks should rather make peace with the fact that we won't be in Australia and a miracles happens than eagerly anticipate and be disappointed.

The reason you didn't hear anything is cause there was nothing to hear really. We had no standing to petition FIBA for a return and Mali obviously will rather participate in the world cup than play sisterhood.

As for Liz leaving the LA sparks, it had nothing to do with the Ogumikes, neither does it have anything to do with the incident that happened with team Nigeria prior to the Olympics. It's Liz just being Liz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (99) (Reply)

Josip Ilicic Caught His Wife Cheating, May Not Play Against PSG / Lady Caught Giving Her Man Hand Job Inside The Stadium At The 2018 World Cup. / Ahmed Musa Flaunts His Man Of The Match Award After World Cup Heroics. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.