Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa (55462 Views)

Peter Obi Is The Leader That We Need For Nigeria Presently - Gbadebo Rhodes(vid) / BREAKING: Top Nigerian Leader Dies After Surgery (pics) / Finally See Video Of The ESN Leader That Beheaded 10 Girls For Juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by deji68: 9:14am On Jul 23, 2018
Well, it will be difficult we are in Google era.... but there are still some zombies
VictorRomanov:

10 years from now someone would say the same thing about the current administration - that it was the best Nigeria ever had.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by madridsta007(m): 9:19am On Jul 23, 2018
mmb:
During the Abacha regime, Nigeria was in words and actions the true African leader. Throughout his time as head of state, Abacha never travelled outside Africa, perhaps to give effect to Nigeria’s Africa-centred foreign policy. The World Council of Mayors was hosted here in Abuja for the first and only time. Pope John Paul II was here on state visit. Nigeria was president of the UN Security Council during Abacha when the obnoxious apartheid policy of the minority white regime in South Africa was dismantled. For the first time in the history of Africa also, Abacha reversed a coup d’état and re-installed the overthrown democratically elected President Tejan Kabbah in Sierra Leone, when Nigeria’s General Maxwell Khobe successfully flushed out the Paul Koroma junta there. Nobody joked with Nigeria. Nigeria was well respected by all.

http://www.eyeway.ng/2017/11/16/remembering-the-abacha-regime/

Go and read Max Siollun books especially, Soldiers of Fortune. Nigeria was under severe sanctions and in effect a pariah state. The only thing that wasn’t under sanction was the oil sales. The West needed the oil flowing. What you’ve written here is simply revisionism.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by VictorRomanov: 9:21am On Jul 23, 2018
deji68:
Well, it will be difficult we are in Google era.... but there are still some zombies

Right now some are saying it is. It shouldn't be a surprise if there people who insist in 10years time.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by deji68: 9:25am On Jul 23, 2018
There are supporters for every gov, good or bad.....but 10 years people will be more enligntened than now, and they have the tools to check the fact and put things in better perspective.....
VictorRomanov:

Right now some are saying it is. It shouldn't be a surprise if there people who insist in 10years time.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 23, 2018
mmb:
During the Abacha regime, Nigeria was in words and actions the true African leader. Throughout his time as head of state, Abacha never travelled outside Africa, perhaps to give effect to Nigeria’s Africa-centred foreign policy. The World Council of Mayors was hosted here in Abuja for the first and only time. Pope John Paul II was here on state visit. Nigeria was president of the UN Security Council during Abacha when the obnoxious apartheid policy of the minority white regime in South Africa was dismantled. For the first time in the history of Africa also, Abacha reversed a coup d’état and re-installed the overthrown democratically elected President Tejan Kabbah in Sierra Leone, when Nigeria’s General Maxwell Khobe successfully flushed out the Paul Koroma junta there. Nobody joked with Nigeria. Nigeria was well respected by all.

Abacha was a murderous, kletomaniac lunatic who could not travel throughout the five-year period he was head of state, because he was ostracised and no country outside the shores of Africa would have him visit (though the Swiss were only too glad to help him hide billions of dollars he stole from Nigeria's treasury during the same period).

Stop being a dummy for once and think beyond the chicken-change you're being paid to launder Abacha's dirty image/legacy.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Joemetry(m): 9:42am On Jul 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:
Under Abacha Nigeria died...

Infact under hausa fulani pressidents Nigeria died.

Na true but Abacha was a Kanuri man, they're not Hausas.

I understand many people feel everything North is Hausa but na lie.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by omooba969(m): 9:43am On Jul 23, 2018
Iamgrey5:
Perhaps he completed the Warri refinery or started the porthacult 2 refinery.... I know he once claimed he built the four refineries in Nigeria, which isn't true

Do you mean Buhari built these oil refineries with his money...wow, very kind of him. grin

We need to thank him specially. cool
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Witnes: 9:44am On Jul 23, 2018
deji68:
Well, you are confused because u dont think deeply , employment rate now is better than under Abacha, not because PMB is doing a good Job.Its because the new democratical setting under OBJ brought new policies, brought millions of new Job. Ths Telecom industry, modern banking system, E.T;c likewise Yardua/GEJ policies in railways revalitization, Power, Agric etc .So do you think all the jobs created in these sector will vanish just like that , People are still selling recharge card, there are ATM managers, people , there software programmer that keep the Bank systems running, Street sweepers,There are people still working in Shoprite, they are came back after Abacha...under PMB we can lose some job but we cant get as low as Abacha era...
Security, since i was born the North has always been flashpoint of religious and ethnic violence even some part of the SW Ife/ modakeke killings etc happened throughout may stay in OAU.Maybe on a lower scale, those killings were not properly documented, but they were as bad as now.
Armed robbery were rampant like i said eg Lagos to ibadan, drivers plyin the road normally drive in the middle to avoid been robbed by "Rim Thrower".Almost every house in my area were robbed during this era.
Roads in my part of SW were dilapidated even MM airport under Aabcha was an eyesore the stench of the toilets filled with feaces is still in my nostril 22 years after i passed through that airport , AC was not working, when i passed through the same Airport under OBJ/GEJ i met them in a better condtion.
I was treated in of Abacha Hospital when i injured my shoulder in Ibadan ...no doctor, they didn have common bandage, they advice me to use a wrapper before i was rushed to a private hospital
i wasnt comparing Abacha era with Pmb, even if u do Naija is far better than under Abacha
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 23, 2018
Joemetry:

Na true but Abacha was a Kanuri man, they're not Hausas.
I understand many people feel everything North is Hausa but na lie.
don't confuse ursef boy...... All northerners are hausa fulani under arewa with allegiance to caliphate.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:01am On Jul 23, 2018
somito121:
Apart from the looting, Nigeria was OK and powerful during abacha's reign..

The alleged looting was a fallacy; those who took over immediately after him happened to be his arch enemies ( Abdulsalam Abubakar, who was about to be sacked by Abacha and OBJ who was jailed by him) they simply set out to frame him, and of course as a dead person he couldn't come back and defend himself.

However, those in the supreme military council e.g. Jeremaih Useini, General Bameyi (incidentally jailed by Abacha) etc. had come out and clarified that it was a collective decision taken by them, (in the SMC) to stash away the money (as part of our foreign reserves) in secret accounts from the risk of being frozen by hostile international sanctions against the then military regime - as it happened to Libya under Gaddafi.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by HomeOfMe(f): 10:02am On Jul 23, 2018
Paperwhite:
What about the countless assassinations including that of Kudirat Abiola(Lagos), Suliat Adedeji(Ibadan) etc & attempted assassination on the likes of Alex Ibru, Abraham Adesanya etc. by the notorious "Strike Force" under the then Maj.Hamza Al-Mustapha
I remember sanctions were placed on Nigeria because of him. He couldn't travel out,not that he didn't want to.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Iamgrey5(m): 10:06am On Jul 23, 2018
omooba969:

Do you mean Buhari built these oil refineries with his money...wow, very kind of him. grin

We need to thank him specially. cool
With the government money obviously !

I wasn't trying to praise him but draw comparisons between his regime and others like him

I made the post in response to the topic which made Abacha seem like a saint and great leader
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Joemetry(m): 10:18am On Jul 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:

don't confuse ursef boy......
All northerners are hausa fulani under arewa with allegiance to caliphate.

No pa, wrong wrong wrong...

Allegiance to the caliphate is even more wrong!

Core Hausas are in less than 7 states.

*So many people in the North don't know how to speak Hausa or Fulani.

Kano
Bauchi
Kaduna
Gombe
Part of Zamfara
Part of Sokoto

Na the above be Hausa oga.
grin
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nelson247: 10:20am On Jul 23, 2018
mmb:

But his loot was traveling to Foreign countries. Thank God he didnt live to eat it but save for a rainy day.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by sonsomegrigbo: 10:23am On Jul 23, 2018
FarahAideed:

Like you are campaigning for a leader worse than Abacha in everything today

Typical Igbo amaka man spotted..

Always opposing good things for no reason!

I pity you guys. You need deliverance!

Igbo amaka
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:32am On Jul 23, 2018
If to say this man still dey alive, some fools go wan vote am into power again.

WE ARE OUR OWN PROBLEMS.

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 23, 2018
Joemetry:

No pa, wrong wrong wrong...
Allegiance to the caliphate is even more wrong!
Core Hausas are in less than 7 states.
*So many people in the North don't know how to speak Hausa or Fulani.
Kano Bauchi Kaduna Gombe Part of Zamfara Part of Sokoto
Na the above be Hausa oga. grin
u confusing ursef...
am telling from someone who knows the inner roots of roots...
moreover u no north.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Konquest: 10:53am On Jul 23, 2018
somito121:
Apart from the looting, Nigeria was OK and powerful during abacha's reign..
^^^^^
This is completely false! Nigeria was never OK... and never
powerful... and was disrespected because of that dark goggled
idiot!

A lot of Federal institutions such as Nigeria Airways
starting collapsing and collapsed rapidly under this man... and
Nigeria experienced heavy sanctions from the international
community such as the Commonwealth,
UN and more over the many killings of people such as
Ken Saro Wiwa and Kudirat Abiola.

This is the reason why the idiot you are eulogising
could NOT travel out... but his still found a way
to send Nigeria's stolen money to foreign
banks after looting them. I assume that you were
very young them when these evil things happened
in the 1990s. Please read up more on the REAL
HISTORY of Nigeria.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by TEYA: 10:59am On Jul 23, 2018
FarahAideed:

Record high unemployment? I am confused , never before has poverty and unemployment exceeded the record of the current govt with over 79 million extremely poor people ( highest ever in human history anywhere) and over 15 million jobs totally lost yet you are part of the people still canvassing for the second for such poor performance.. Deji don't you think you are a hypocrite at this stage ...

Nigeria under Abacha was a million times more secure than it is today with over 20 thousands lives lost in just 3 years to insecurity under Buhari as compared to less than 700 under Abacha ( yet you still support Buhari)..

Its on record that Abacha built more hospital than the current Buhari govt and fixed more road , then our roads were safe you could travel at night without fear of being robbed by herdsmen .. Apart from rampart fuel shortage under Abacha there is no basis of comparison between Abacha and the failed Buhari you currently support.
I started reading your post with enthusiasm till I got to the part where you said Nigeria has a higher unemployment rate than any other country in history. Now that is raw ignorance. You deserve to be ignored.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Konquest: 11:00am On Jul 23, 2018
mmb:
[s]During the Abacha regime, Nigeria was in words and actions the true African leader. [/s]Throughout his time as head of state, Abacha never travelled outside Africa, perhaps to give effect to Nigeria’s Africa-centred foreign policy. The World Council of Mayors was hosted here in Abuja for the first and only time. Pope John Paul II was here on state visit. Nigeria was president of the UN Security Council during Abacha when the obnoxious apartheid policy of the minority white regime in South Africa was dismantled. For the first time in the history of Africa also, Abacha reversed a coup d’état and re-installed the overthrown democratically elected President Tejan Kabbah in Sierra Leone, when Nigeria’s General Maxwell Khobe successfully flushed out the Paul Koroma junta there. [s]Nobody joked with Nigeria. Nigeria was well respected by all[/s].

^^^^^
^^^^^
This post is completely MISLEADING! Nigeria was never OK... and never
powerful... and was disrespected because of that dark goggled
idiot! You say he never travelled outside Africa but the Nigerian money
he LOOTED via the the Central Bank of Nigeria [CBN] "TRAVELLED"
OUTSIDE AFRICA!

He wasted Nigeria's money abroad in truly re-installing a President
of Sierra Leone but at what cost to Nigeria? It was also used as a means
to loot Nigeria's money and till today, we don't have proper accountability
for the money spent in Sierra Leone.

A lot of Federal institutions such as Nigeria Airways
starting collapsing and collapsed rapidly under this man... and
Nigeria experienced heavy sanctions from the international
community such as the Commonwealth,
UN and more over the many killings of people such as
Ken Saro Wiwa and Kudirat Abiola.

This is the reason why the idiot you are eulogising
could NOT travel out... but he still found a way
to send Nigeria's stolen money to foreign
banks after looting them. I assume that you were
very young them when these evil things happened
in the 1990s. Please read up more on the REAL
HISTORY of Nigeria and STOP laundering the bad image
of a BIG THIEF!
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Assassin101: 11:05am On Jul 23, 2018
his looted funds did all the trips for him across the world

Harrynight:
shocked

Not the kind of leaders we have now that regularly embarked on Unfruitful trip across the world only to waste and squander our money angry
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by markokocha: 11:06am On Jul 23, 2018
I agree with you that any one canvassing for a second term for the present government is just been hypocritical. Though Abacha's reign was not that good in areas of foreign policies, dictatorship, and absolute use military power but no sincere mind should compare it with present day government which is total failure.
Citizens are massacred on daily bases, Job lost is on the highest increase with the government not putting any plan in place.
FarahAideed:

Record high unemployment? I am confused , never before has poverty and unemployment exceeded the record of the current govt with over 79 million extremely poor people ( highest ever in human history anywhere) and over 15 million jobs totally lost yet you are part of the people still canvassing for the second for such poor performance.. Deji don't you think you are a hypocrite at this stage ...

Nigeria under Abacha was a million times more secure than it is today with over 20 thousands lives lost in just 3 years to insecurity under Buhari as compared to less than 700 under Abacha ( yet you still support Buhari)..

Its on record that Abacha built more hospital than the current Buhari govt and fixed more road , then our roads were safe you could travel at night without fear of being robbed by herdsmen .. Apart from rampart fuel shortage under Abacha there is no basis of comparison between Abacha and the failed Buhari you currently support.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Joemetry(m): 11:07am On Jul 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:

u confusing ursef...

am telling from someone who knows the inner roots of roots...

moreover u no north.

Okay, but is it about being North?
Or maybe I need to be from space to understand NASA updates too right?

You are my oga sha...
But don't tell our babies that all Northerners are Hausas.

grin grin angry

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by RonJeremy: 11:11am On Jul 23, 2018
Get your facts right.... Abacha wasn’t welcomed in Europe but he did visit China with that his round headed daughter......
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by millhouse: 11:13am On Jul 23, 2018
He went to Saudi
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by mmsen: 11:17am On Jul 23, 2018
Fyi0:
Abacha is Nigeria's worst president ever. No question about that

Buhari is worse.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 11:35am On Jul 23, 2018
mmb:

The man that made me what i'm today without a father---think great and be great.

Nigeria lost a rare gem and we hope to see the second coming of your like in more drastical form.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by orisa37: 11:43am On Jul 23, 2018
Gardafi started with Abacha to try Slavery with Nigeria. Before Abacha, Late Aminu Kano tried to use Gardafi and Libya to import Islamic Jihad into Nigeria.
Pope John visited Nigeria, Abacha snubbed him and gave him the worst Reception for a Foreign Visitor of The Pope's standards. Abacha was the worst abomination Nigeria ever had.

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Adefemiaderoju1: 11:54am On Jul 23, 2018
chequemate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64HJR1dFXXk&t=0s&index=38&list=LLqzHRYgf-JZyZaj7c1DCZZA

He fought bravely through military brutality that led to the democracy we have today.

Indefatigable Sowore for President!

Sowore2019 #takeitback
Truly the guy deserved to be president of this country

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Adefemiaderoju1: 11:57am On Jul 23, 2018
And the only man that ever travelled with Nigerians stolen money continue to suffer in hell

Rip Mohammed Gadaffi
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by YesBoss1(m): 12:01pm On Jul 23, 2018
What kind of moronic praise singing of the biggest looter in Nigeria's history is this? If God did not save us by taking his life, the poverty and hunger in Nigeria would have been unprecedented. You better not remind us of the scars we bear from his horrible days, all the lives he wasted, their blood will continue to haunt him wherever the hell he is. Nonsense.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2018
Joemetry:

Okay, but is it about being North? Or maybe I need to be from space to understand NASA updates too right?
You are my oga sha... But don't tell our babies that all Northerners are Hausas.
grin grin angry
you now insulting me....
but I won't belittle my intgrity....to take ur reply as been rude.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UK Police Spotted At Abuja House As Nigerians Prepare For All Night Protest.PICS / Sowore: Olawale Bakare Declared Missing / Saraki Barred From Using Presidential Villa Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.