Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,694 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:24 PM

Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa (55767 Views)

Peter Obi Is The Leader That We Need For Nigeria Presently - Gbadebo Rhodes(vid) / BREAKING: Top Nigerian Leader Dies After Surgery (pics) / Finally See Video Of The ESN Leader That Beheaded 10 Girls For Juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by gambit10: 12:15pm On Jul 23, 2018
somito121:
Apart from the looting, Nigeria was OK and powerful during abacha's reign..

I bet you were 5 years old then, oro jatijati
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by vedaxcool(m): 12:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
Jokerman:

Tribalist vedaxcool.... continue... goal post shifter...

Stop tagging me in your lies, that you are a frustrated ipob juwus does not mean everyone should join you in your frustration.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 23, 2018
Ndonu101:
The man was not popular with the EU, UK or US due to his brutality

Nigeria was also facing sanctions from these countries

So it would not have been possible to host such a dictator

Don’t spin this reality into some pan African foreign policy. Abacha did not have a foreign policy and only cared about remaining in office forever

""The man was not popular with the EU, UK or US due to his brutality""

BLATANT LIES.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 23, 2018
madridsta007:

Go and read Max Siollun books especially, Soldiers of Fortune. Nigeria was under severe sanctions and in effect a pariah state. The only thing that wasn’t under sanction was the oil sales. The West needed the oil flowing. What you’ve written here is simply revisionism.

America n Britain forced her allies to stop buying our crude oil, That was why for many months Abacha was not able to salaries for many months.

Abacha was a true leader, Only lack of information can make anyone argue otherwise.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 23, 2018
VictorRomanov:

10 years from now someone would say the same thing about the current administration - that it was the best Nigeria ever had.

No one can say such in 10 years n even if they do, no one will believe them, We are in the information age.

Meanwhile Abacha was a great leader, many people won't understand this and that is because the western media has brainwashed most people.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 23, 2018
somito121:
Apart from the looting, Nigeria was OK and powerful during abacha's reign..

all regimes in the world loot money.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by PeterUdeme: 12:55pm On Jul 23, 2018
ItsMeAboki:

The alleged looting was a fallacy; those who took over immediately after him happened to be his arch enemies ( Abdulsalam Abubakar, who was about to be sacked by Abacha and OBJ who was jailed by him) they simply set out to frame him, and of course as a dead person he couldn't come back and defend himself.

However, those in the supreme military council e.g. Jeremaih Useini, General Bameyi (incidentally jailed by Abacha) etc. had come out and clarified that it was a collective decision taken by them, (in the SMC) to stash away the money (as part of our foreign reserves) in secret accounts from the risk of being frozen by hostile international sanctions against the then military regime - as it happened to Libya under Gaddafi.

You abokiis will always defend your own. That's the problem of Nigeria. Northerners ruined this country wit their looting and incompetence just as it is going on under buhari, yet you guys are still supporting him.

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Joemetry(m): 12:58pm On Jul 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:

you now insulting me....

but I won't belittle my intgrity....to take ur reply as been rude.

Ooo...

I'm very sorry.
Apologies for sounding offensive brother...
No be intentional abeg.
wink
Sorry...
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by madridsta007(m): 1:17pm On Jul 23, 2018
PrecisionFx:

America n Britain forced her allies to stop buying our crude oil, That was why for many months Abacha was not able to salaries for many months.

Abacha was a true leader, Only lack of information can make anyone argue otherwise.

There were no strong sanctions on the Oil from Nigeria.
It was a risk the West refused to take.
While, admittedly, Abacha's pan-Africanism showed throughout his years as Nigeria's despot, it will be right to admit that the greater picture is the influence from the sanctions and Nigeria's pariah state status. Nigeria also did not attend one of the Nations Cup tournament during his time.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by ItsMeAboki(m): 1:27pm On Jul 23, 2018
PeterUdeme:

You abokiis will always defend your own. That's the problem of Nigeria. Northerners ruined this country wit their looting and incompetence just as it is going on under buhari, yet you guys are still supporting him.

Too much dog meat affects the brain and can render some ppl incapable of rational thought.

I don't suppose you expect me to respond to that baseless emotional rubbish you just posted.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by j1mmy: 1:34pm On Jul 23, 2018
Abacha was a wanted man all over the world, he faced assassination, mass protests and diplomatic incidents. He had his Indian and Lebanese prostitutes delivered to him when he wanted

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by j1mmy: 1:39pm On Jul 23, 2018
selemempe:
Abacha's regim was many things to many people.
To some people it was a time of strenght and internal order..while to someother people it was nigeria's worst era...

Well some facts are here..
1. Under Abacha the city of Abuja started taking shape
2. Under Abacha Nigeria for the 1st time became Africa's largest economy in 1995
3. Under Abacha, top govt officials used simple peugeot cars
4. Under Abacha PTF was everywhere
5. Under Abacha nigeria led ECOMOG in liberia and sierra leone
6. Under Abacha nigeria airways died.
7 under abacha there was stability in the niger delta
8. Under abacha there was massive poverty in nigeria and almost no middle class
9. Under abacha there was brutal dictatorship

10, Massive treasury looting
11, Allowed Buhari to run PTf to the ground
12, Allowed junior military officers like Al-Mustapha to humiliate senior officers openly

2 Likes

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 23, 2018
Joemetry:

Ooo...
I'm very sorry. Apologies for sounding offensive brother... No be intentional abeg. wink Sorry...
Uwc what are friends for in time of peace like this....
uwc
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by PeterUdeme: 1:46pm On Jul 23, 2018
ItsMeAboki:

Too much dog meat affects the brain and can render some ppl incapable of rational thought.

I don't suppose you expect me to respond to that baseless emotional rubbish you just posted.

Too much cow mating leaves the brain dull. I know you have no brain to counter my argument.

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Joemetry(m): 1:48pm On Jul 23, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Uwc what are friends for in time of peace like this....

uwc

cool
Thanks...
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by olowobaba10: 2:26pm On Jul 23, 2018
Ndonu101:

Don’t spin this reality into some pan African foreign policy. Abacha did not have a foreign policy and only cared about remaining in office forever

WE PREFER 1000 ABACHA'S TO THE TYPE OF LEADERS WE'VE BEEN HAVING AFTER HIM.

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by bestower: 2:31pm On Jul 23, 2018
I prefer military Regine to this nonsense democracy ..
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by ItsMeAboki(m): 2:31pm On Jul 23, 2018
PeterUdeme:

Too much DOG mating leaves the brain dull. I know you have no brain to counter my argument.

https://www.nairaland.com/1856252/19-year-old-boy-caught-sleeping-dog
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Goldenonyx: 3:47pm On Jul 23, 2018
Military head of states in Nigeria dont travel unless it is very very important.

Because there is no election in a military regime, soldiers always try to explore every available loophole to usurp their military commander.

Ask Yakubu Gowon, Tunde Idiagbon (Buhari's 2ic)..
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by liberalchick(f): 4:02pm On Jul 23, 2018
Ndonu101:

Don’t mind the OP. He was also scared of a coup d’etat, he did not want to travel too far.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by DozieInc(m): 4:07pm On Jul 23, 2018
Ndonu101:

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by PeterUdeme: 4:21pm On Jul 23, 2018
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Yankee101: 5:38pm On Jul 23, 2018
I think he was scared of being killed not because it was a virtue
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by danvon(m): 8:31pm On Jul 23, 2018
Iamgrey5:
Abacha had nothing to do with the end of Apartheid in South Africa. So I wonder why op mischievously listed it like an achievement for him

The pope visited Nigeria because of the multiple killings and human rights abuses in Nigeria at the time

Why don't you compare Abacha to other military regime that had absolute power to influence their own policy, rather than mischievously compare to the current civilian dispensation

Obj and Buhari built a refinery

Buhari truly fought corruption when he first came to office

Obj encouraged a lot of businesses in Nigerian and truly sanctioned businesses that had anything to do with South Africa after the killing of Dr Steve Biko by the Apartheid government

I believe Babaginda built the third main land bridge which was the longest bridge in Africa until 96

Don't spin history for us op

Obj committed odi massacre

Obj looted Nigeria fund

Obj wanted a third term

My people are useless senseless and indisciplined

-Buhari
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by jpphilips(m): 9:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
mmb:
During the Abacha regime, Nigeria was in words and actions the true African leader. Throughout his time as head of state, Abacha never travelled outside Africa, perhaps to give effect to Nigeria’s Africa-centred foreign policy. The World Council of Mayors was hosted here in Abuja for the first and only time. Pope John Paul II was here on state visit. Nigeria was president of the UN Security Council during Abacha when the obnoxious apartheid policy of the minority white regime in South Africa was dismantled. For the first time in the history of Africa also, Abacha reversed a coup d’état and re-installed the overthrown democratically elected President Tejan Kabbah in Sierra Leone, when Nigeria’s General Maxwell Khobe successfully flushed out the Paul Koroma junta there. Nobody joked with Nigeria. Nigeria was well respected by all.

http://www.eyeway.ng/2017/11/16/remembering-the-abacha-regime/

You seem to be the only one that doesn't know Nigeria was under sanctions during the Abacha Junta.
SMH for kids of these days.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by jpphilips(m): 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2018
PrecisionFx:

""The man was not popular with the EU, UK or US due to his brutality""

BLATANT LIES.

You must be a child not to know that, one of the sanctions slammed on Nigeria was the common wealth sanctions, now use your common sense to determine its reach within the context you are disputing.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by jpphilips(m): 9:31pm On Jul 23, 2018
PrecisionFx:

I wonder what embolden people like you to come on the WWW to talk rubbish with confidence.
Is it that you didn't have historical education or your parents couldn't afford the print and news media or you were outright dumb not to understand what was going on at the time?

2 Likes

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 23, 2018
jpphilips:

I wonder what embolden people like you to come on the WWW to talk rubbish with confidence.
Is it that you didn't have historical education or your parents couldn't afford the print and news media or you were outright dumb not to understand what was going on at the time?

Oh, It's that Jjphilip, known for spilling animal dog from his mouth n nostrils week in week out grin.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by jpphilips(m): 9:54pm On Jul 23, 2018
ItsMeAboki:

The alleged looting was a fallacy; those who took over immediately after him happened to be his arch enemies ( Abdulsalam Abubakar, who was about to be sacked by Abacha and OBJ who was jailed by him) they simply set out to frame him, and of course as a dead person he couldn't come back and defend himself.

However, those in the supreme military council e.g. Jeremaih Useini, General Bameyi (incidentally jailed by Abacha) etc. had come out and clarified that it was a collective decision taken by them, (in the SMC) to stash away the money (as part of our foreign reserves) in secret accounts from the risk of being frozen by hostile international sanctions against the then military regime - as it happened to Libya under Gaddafi.

Just for your enlightenment, Abacha was not answerable to the SMC, it was the other way round, if in doubt, go and watch all the Oputa panel videos, If you were not a child then, you should be familiar with one of Nigeria's famous political lexicon of the Abacha era, "Oga, permit me to speak, you can't be wrong, even if you are wrong, you are right and we are wrong"
coming from the second highest ranking officer of the SMC, in view of that, there was no way abacha would consult the SMC before stashing away money.
Abacha could kill any member of the SMC for as little as sneezing, if in doubt ask Gen. Adisa and the weeping General. Oladipo diya.

The money was stashed in his name not Nigeria's, you don't keep a country's wealth in your personal account.
While evading intl sanctions if that was the reason as you eroneously believed, your personal account is the first target while a UNSC resolution only can target a country's account as the case of Libya.

Im sure you know that the regime members of North Korea all have their personal accounts frozen in the west, but the country's account is yet to be frozen despite being under heavy sanctions.

What you just regurgitated was the cheap lies he told few members of his administration with integrity like Buhari.
Unfortunately, Buhari like you till date, still believe that hogwash.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by angelicwing: 10:15pm On Jul 23, 2018
abumeinben:

Islamization attempt, beta life (N50) notes that gave room for massive looting, fuel price hike (N26, from N18 or so), imprisonment spree...
Abacha never increased fuel price beyond N11.
Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by mytym(m): 2:11am On Jul 24, 2018
FarahAideed:

Record high unemployment? I am confused , never before has poverty and unemployment exceeded the record of the current govt with over 79 million extremely poor people ( highest ever in human history anywhere) and over 15 million jobs totally lost yet you are part of the people still canvassing for the second for such poor performance.. Deji don't you think you are a hypocrite at this stage ...

Nigeria under Abacha was a million times more secure than it is today with over 20 thousands lives lost in just 3 years to insecurity under Buhari as compared to less than 700 under Abacha ( yet you still support Buhari)..

Its on record that Abacha built more hospital than the current Buhari govt and fixed more road , then our roads were safe you could travel at night without fear of being robbed by herdsmen .. Apart from rampart fuel shortage under Abacha there is no basis of comparison between Abacha and the failed Buhari you currently support.

The present National Hospital was built by Mariam Abacha.

Almost any sane person is wishing we go back to.military reign. This democracy is worse off...

1 Like

Re: Abacha: Nigerian Leader That Never Travelled Outside The Shores Of Africa by Ihateyoumod: 4:02am On Jul 24, 2018
Realdeals:

Okay indeed with the invention of Abacha stove, what I however feel, is that Abacha would have succeeded to a large extent cleansed our political system of all the useless old elders that are still dictating the polity now, the likes of OBJ, Tinubu would have been history by now.
Though the cleansing might appear to be targeting people from the south, his audacity to have arrested a powerful northern figure like Shehu Yar,ádua is a pointer that he does not care about your location if you are disturbing the polity, Sgt. Roger will go after you.

The man was a mad man, a man tht successfully deposed the sultan of sokoto wen he was talking too much, thts Dasuki..the father of this our ATM and sent him on exile

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unemployment: Imo, Akwa Ibom, Rivers Still Nigeria’s Worst Cases / Fayose: I Will Not Watch Tinubu Pulled Down / President Buhari Blasted For Saying 'It Is Not Clear What I Have Noted Here'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.