Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria (19636 Views)

Viral Photo Of A Baby Born With Birth Control Implant On The Head. PHOTOS / The Need For Birth Control / Woman Narrates How Birth Control Nearly Killed Her (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Delivar(m): 9:29pm On Jul 24, 2018
Partnerbiz:

I wonder what makes you think I am a Northerner. What gives you that impression.?

At the risk of sounding immodest, I am Igbo and more educated than you can ever be.

Education is not having piles of degrees. It's all about having the knowledge and common sense to take the right decisions in life. You may have the knowledge but not the common sense. So your education is not complete.

2 Likes

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by quickly: 9:30pm On Jul 24, 2018
Partnerbiz:

Population isn't the problem

Singapore doubled it's population and still doing well.

India had 500 million people about 40 years ago and experienced famine.

Today with over 1 billion people, India is exporting food and has good economy.

What about the US?
325 million in population but throwing away food etc and is arguably the most powerful nation of the world

ITs not about the population but earnings income but population affects the quality of life.

For example if you make N10000 per day but have to give N1000 to 10 people you have nothing left at all

but N10000 per day and you have only one mouth to feed, you have N9000 left to use for other things.

Singapore earns from multiple sources. They have the largest refining capacity of any nation, what of shipping and agric..!

Their earnings per year is on average 300 Billion dollars for a population of 5.6 million people

US earnings per year is on average 19Trillion dollars for population 300 million

Nigeria has earning of maybe 200-300billion for a population of going to 200 million

Most countries there population is being controlled but Nigeria population is growing at an exponential rate.

So very soon if not controlled the population will supercede earnings .

Nigerias production level is not matching population

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Delivar(m): 9:33pm On Jul 24, 2018
Horus:

I agree with you, Population isn't the problem. When we look at the numbers, Africa is underpopulated. We have 20% of the world's landmass and 13% of its population.”
Who told you overpopulation is about numbers? That's an ignorant perception. Overpopulation is all about having the means to care for the existing population. Even if Africa's population is only 1000 people as long as those 1000 can't care for themselves it also overpopulation.

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 9:40pm On Jul 24, 2018
babadee1:

And who told you all those countries did not plan their population? Every country plans based on where they are, where they want to be at a certain time and the resources currently available to them. None of those countries you mentioned would be able to improve their economy if they did not have processes in place to manage their population growth. You even forgot to mention China sef. People love to talk about the Chinese economic miracle. The second biggest economy in the world and on the way to becoming the biggest. They have 1.4 billion population but their economic turnaround was preceded by a long period of a strictly enforced one child only policy. If Nigeria enforces a strict two children per woman policy today, I promise you in twenty years you won't recognise this country again.

My brother,Nigeria's population in the 80s was close to 73 million,yet we were de-industrialising. China had a population of 980 million and was accelerating In industrialization and economic growth. Our population is a catalyst for our current poverty levels but not the cause. Ethnic bigotry,Bad Governance and lack of the meritocratic process and a reward system is the primary cause.
ELDS (Educationaly less developed states) is a classic case of ethnic, affirmative action that rubbished meritocracy and the reward system and placed people in positions of trust who shouldn't be there ,this people in-turn,bring in those worse than themselves to shield their position.
This, is one of the cesspits that bred the monster that is corruption today. A monster that has tied this nation down.

It is only those who expect to be fed that see population as a hindrance.Give a man tools and he will feed himself. As long as growth in power generation and industrial growth is lagging behind population growth, poverty will occur. If a population stops growing it will age,become less industrious and ultimately slip into decline.
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Horus(m): 9:41pm On Jul 24, 2018
Delivar:

Who told you overpopulation is about numbers? That's an ignorant perception. Overpopulation is all about having the means to care for the existing population. Even if Africa's population is only 1000 people as long as those 1000 can't care for themselves it also overpopulation.

When did I talk to you? I was replying to someone, not you
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Delivar(m): 9:45pm On Jul 24, 2018
Horus:

When did I talk to you? I was replying to someone, not you
This is open discussion. Anyone can reply anybody.

2 Likes

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Horus(m): 9:50pm On Jul 24, 2018
Delivar:

This is open discussion. Anyone can reply anybody.

Then stop using nonsense
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by lielbree: 9:55pm On Jul 24, 2018
Partnerbiz:

I wonder what makes you think I am a Northerner. What gives you that impression.?

At the risk of sounding immodest, I am Igbo and more educated than you can ever be.

Northerners are the ones driving the narrative that population control does not matter. That's what gives me the impression you're from the north.

You don't know who you are conserving with nor do I know who you are.

Oops, I guess you're not "educated" enough to know that. Lol

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 24, 2018
Delivar:

Who told you so? Does pee pass through the uterus to flush out the "S" there? Sounds like something village girls say.
Wrong info. Thanks
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by lolly2pops: 10:26pm On Jul 24, 2018
The brain of some men are allocated in their genitals

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by quickly: 10:34pm On Jul 24, 2018
dragon2:

My brother,Nigeria's population in the 80s was close to 73 million,yet we were de-industrialising. China had a population of 980 million and was accelerating In industrialization and economic growth. Our population is a catalyst for our current poverty levels but not the cause. Ethnic bigotry,Bad Governance and lack of the meritocratic process and a reward system is the primary cause.
ELDS (Educationaly less developed states) is a classic case of ethnic, affirmative action that rubbished meritocracy and the reward system and placed people in positions of trust who shouldn't be there ,this people in-turn,bring in those worse than themselves to shield their position.
This, is one of the cesspits that bred the monster that is corruption today. A monster that has tied this nation down.

It is only those who expect to be fed that see population as a hindrance.Give a man tools and he will feed himself. As long as growth in power generation and industrial growth is lagging behind population growth, poverty will occur. If a population stops growing it will age,become less industrious and ultimately slip into decline.

If every nigerian adopts a 1 child policy , population can never stop growing

Denmark right now is a population that is not growing because ppl are not giving birth

However their earnings as a nation is growing.

Also earnings are used judiciously
unlike in Nigeria where majority of the earnings is stolen or used to pay useless senators and politicans

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 10:59pm On Jul 24, 2018
quickly:

If every nigerian adopts a 1 child policy , population can never stop growing

Denmark right now is a population that is not growing because ppl are not giving birth

However their earnings as a nation is growing.

Also earnings are used judiciously
unlike in Nigeria where majority of the earnings is stolen or used to pay useless senators and politicans

A 1 child policy is designed to reverse population growth 'if' strictly adhered to. I.e 1 child matures and loses his 2 parents to death. Also,not all the children will reach to adulthood and procreation as a result of accidental death.

Denmark's GDP growth rate is as flat as its population growth rate(and that is for a country that accounts for its public finances).

However,in the absence of productivity,like in resource centered Nigeria,GDP/capita drops as population rises.If for example,we were producing 5x our current oil production level(10million barrels) and OPEC somehow allowed is to sell it. There would be more wealth per person,due to this oil production levels.

Again as I asserted, wealth is stolen by people who don't know how to generate it,and have found themselves in positions of trust of the public wealth without meriting it.
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by chuksonia(m): 11:22pm On Jul 24, 2018
this is really educational that's how one Baber in ma area has 6 children all of which are almost same age I say that Co's there's no spacing at all, and the worst is that they'll staying in just a room
apartment!!!?; God would say us in this country

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by babadee1(m): 11:40pm On Jul 24, 2018
dragon2:

I'm not saying it's the cause of all our problems. I'm saying we can never move from a low income developing country status without first putting population control measures in place. It's a totally different message I'm trying to pass across.
The issues of ethnic bigotry, nepotism and corruption also exist in other countries as well. A good example is India. But they are doing much better than we are because of one simple fact. They always plan the future of their country. Let us also start to plan.

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by quickly: 1:16am On Jul 25, 2018
Horus:

I agree with you, Population isn't the problem. When we look at the numbers, Africa is underpopulated. We have 20% of the world's landmass and 13% of its population.”

Landmass has nothing to do with this.

It’s all about country production and earnings per population. It’s division not subtraction.

The larger your population the more you are required to earn to be balanced

2 Likes

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by lollmaolol(m): 8:26am On Jul 25, 2018
ChidiAlaigbo:

By the time she realise what she has done to herself she will become depressed and suicidal

The husband self dey resume the shop daily
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 8:27am On Jul 25, 2018
dominique:
Those that need it most are the ones not practising it. They keep breeding like pigs and bringing in kids they can't cater for in an over-populated country.

That is why i am upset with the woman who cleans our compound. Someone that is pregnant,saying"i dey find girl" after having 3 boys.

Someone that will keep coming to ask for food stuff to feed her children and keeps complaining on how her husband is not giving enough.

Now the scan has revealed that it is another boy.

I told her that she can try again.

2 Likes

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 8:35am On Jul 25, 2018
babadee1:

I'm not saying it's the cause of all our problems. I'm saying we can never move from a low income developing country status without first putting population control measures in place. It's a totally different message I'm trying to pass across.
The issues of ethnic bigotry, nepotism and corruption also exist in other countries as well. A good example is India. But they are doing much better than we are because of one simple fact. They always plan the future of their country. Let us also start to plan.

I humbly disagree.It is a copt out. Population control is a lazy way to development as a country without dealing with the underlying problem . Cutting the population does not increase transparency,government efficiency and efficacy. Infact,there is no development,just increased wealth per capita from natural resources. As I said earlier,even at 73million in 1980 and at 50k to $1, we actually went backwards and de-industralized. The more wealthy a nation is with bad government and a small population,the faster they fall into ruin due to financial recklessness and corruption.

India which you quoted had a population of approx 10x ours in the same year (700M,1980).However,they have been developing industrially,albeit slowly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 8:47am On Jul 25, 2018
Income/capita is closely linked to production per capita,which is correlated to industrial growth.As long as industrial growth is ahead of population growth ,Income per capita has a chance to grow.However, Nigeria has not been growing industrially at significant pace for decades, due to poor government policy and financial recklessness.Our population growth is steady and ahead of industrial growth,with an aloof government. Cutting population is a lazy attempt just to bring it down to levels that can be sustained by our current oil production levels (2 million barrels a day).Why? Because we don't produce anything we use. Simply put,we have no jobs.

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dominique(f): 9:16am On Jul 25, 2018
ImaIma1:

That is why i am upset with the woman who cleans our compound. Someone that is pregnant,saying"i dey find girl" after having 3 boys.

Someone that will keep coming to ask for food stuff to feed her children and keeps complaining on how her husband is not giving enough.

Now the scan has revealed that it is another boy.

I told her that she can try again.

Can you imagine. And some people are saying it's the Hausa/Fulani that's the cause of our large population. I see an Ijaw woman that sells smoked fish with with six kids, an Igbo drug seller couple with 9 kids, a Yoruba petty trader married to a vulcanizer with four kids (would have been five had she not lost one of her twins at birth). All children looking unkempt and not properly monitored. How won't such kids grow up into street urchins, cultists and criminals? Very few of them scale through untainted. At this rate were going, the government will have to put strict laws in place to checkmate the number of children couples should have like it's done in China

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:17am On Jul 25, 2018
Delivar:

You can imagine the reasoning of the guy who you quoted

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:27am On Jul 25, 2018
dragon2:

I humbly disagree.It is a copt out. Population control is a lazy way to development as a country without dealing with the underlying problem . Cutting the population does not increase transparency,government efficiency and efficacy. Infact,there is no development,just increased wealth per capita from natural resources. As I said earlier,even at 73million in 1980 and at 50k to $1, we actually went backwards and de-industralized. The more wealthy a nation is with bad government and a small population,the faster they fall into ruin due to financial recklessness and corruption.

India which you quoted had a population of approx 10x ours in the same year (700M,1980).However,they have been developing industrially,albeit slowly.

Nigeria's population almost quintrupled in 50 years (5 times more)

Tell me one country OUTSIDE Africa that has five times the population they had 50 years ago
India's population is say 1.2b today.
I can bet anything that India's population was not 250m 50 years back

China is 1.4 billion people

I am very sure that they'd population was not 400 million 50 years ago

The point is that the Nigeria's population growth is dangerous, and if it's not put in check, disaster looms

I think we need to be sterilizing the population using certain criteria to save that country, because ignorance and socio cultural beliefs stand in the way of many Nigerians to act responsibly

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2018
Ugosample:

Nigeria's population almost quintrupled in 50 years (5 times more)

Tell me one country OUTSIDE Africa that has five times the population they had 50 years ago
India's population is say 1.2b today.
I can bet anything that India's population was not 250m 50 years back

China is 1.4 billion people

I am very sure that they'd population was not 400 million 50 years ago

The point is that the Nigeria's population growth is dangerous, and if it's not put in check, disaster looms

I think we need to be sterilizing the population using certain criteria to save that country, because ignorance and socio cultural beliefs stand in the way of many Nigerians to act responsibly

You mean with all our fraudulent census data?
I am more interested with the ratio of population growth with industrial growth,than population numbers.Those 50yrs ago you speak of were our grand mothers and fathers not regularly giving birth to 12 children?
It is a known global stat, as population grows a equilibrium point is reached as either wealth or density increases. We have neither reached high wealth or density.
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 10:00am On Jul 25, 2018
dragon2:

You mean with all our fraudulent census data?
I am more interested with the ratio of population growth with industrial growth,than population numbers.Those 50yrs ago you speak of were our grand mothers and fathers not regularly giving north to 12 children?
It is a known global stat, as population grows a equilibrium point is reached as either wealth or density increases. We have neither reached high wealth or density.

undecided undecided

This guy sef

Our grand fathers and grand mothers were giving birth to 12 which is true

And each of the 12 will also breed another 100

And those 100 will breed another undecided

over there generations, it's much more

let me use my own family as an example

My great grand father had 4 wives and at least 20 kids

12 boys

my grand father had one wife with 10 kids, my father was number 4.

(note that each of my grand fathers 11 brothers had at least 6 children each) Do the maths grin grin

My father has one wife and 4 kids

my fathers brothers each have at least 4 kids except one that has 3 girls.

Now do the maths

What of my grand fathers brothers children's children

I did not even factor in the 8 girls that my great grand pa have birth to.

What about my great grand fathers brothers?

All these happened within under 100 years o

This is the scary thing that is happening in this country and it's a shame that even "educated folks" don't see the problem with this.
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 10:03am On Jul 25, 2018
Ugosample:

undecided undecided

This guy sef

Our grand fathers and grand mothers were giving birth to 12 which is true

And each of the 12 will also breed another 100

And those 100 will breed another undecided

over there generations, it's much more

12 boys

(note that each of my grand fathers 11 brothers had at least 6 children each) Do the maths grin grin

my fathers brothers each have at least 4 kids except one that has 3 girls.

Now do the maths

What of my grand fathers brothers children's children

I did not even factor in the 8 girls that my great grand pa have birth to.

What about my great grand fathers brothers?

All these happened within under 100 years o

This is the scary thing that is happening in this country and it's a shame that even "educated folks" don't see the problem with this.

That is exactly what I am saying,as the density is increasing how many people are still having 12 in high density areas? Don't you know that 12 children from 2 is a growth rate of 600%?
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 10:09am On Jul 25, 2018
[quote author=Ugosample post=69686509

12 boys

my fathers brothers each have at least 4 kids except one that has 3 girls

[/quote]

Also, your genealogy is proof of what I am saying, succeeding generation in your family had less children.
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by babadee1(m): 11:12am On Jul 25, 2018
dragon2:

You're still missing the point bro. Population control is not the only thing that needs to be done. However whatever else you may do you will not get the desired results if your population is spiralling out of control.
Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria and one of the smallest cities in the world. It has a population of 18 million now. In 50 years it's projected to be close to 90 million in Lagos alone. How is industrialisation going to be possible where there is no human capital? The majority of Nigeria's population are a drag on the economy. No productivity value whatsoever, not trained for an industrialised economy and effectively untrainable.
When a family only has one or two children they are forced to invest as much as possible into their kids. It's no longer a game of chance the way it is now. Give birth to as many children as possible then hope that one or two of them will make it to take care of others. That is the mentality of our society today and it needs to change.

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 11:22am On Jul 25, 2018
dominique:

Can you imagine. And some people are saying it's the Hausa/Fulani that's the cause of our large population. I see an Ijaw woman that sells smoked fish with with six kids, an Igbo drug seller couple with 9 kids, a Yoruba petty trader married to a vulcanizer with four kids (would have been five had she not lost one of her twins at birth). All children looking unkempt and not properly monitored. How won't such kids grow up into street urchins, cultists and criminals? Very few of them scale through untainted. At this rate were going, the government will have to put strict laws in place to checkmate the number of children couples should have like it's done in China

They always look unkempt but they keep churning them out. And this one is ibo

The worst part is that this woman doesn't see any wrong in her action. She is not thinking of how four boys will feed when she can't even feed 3.

She says that's how she wants it, yet she will come and ask me for garri to drink.
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 11:24am On Jul 25, 2018
[quote author=dragon2 post=69686771][/quote]

but it's more children per level, and the reduction was due to education and exposure.

Many Nigerians across the country are still having 7-9 kids

it's dangerous

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 11:25am On Jul 25, 2018
babadee1:

You're still missing the point bro. Population control is not the only thing that needs to be done. However whatever else you may do you will not get the desired results if your population is spiralling out of control.
Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria and one of the smallest cities in the world. It has a population of 18 million now. In 50 years it's projected to be close to 90 million in Lagos alone. How is industrialisation going to be possible where there is no human capital? The majority of Nigeria's population are a drag on the economy. No productivity value whatsoever, not trained for an industrialised economy and effectively untrainable.
When a family only has one or two children they are forced to invest as much as possible into their kids. It's no longer a game of chance the way it is now. Give birth to as many children as possible then hope that one or two of them will make it to take care of others. That is the mentality of our society today and it needs to change.

help me tell the guy o

that is what I am trying to say

1 Like

Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 12:14pm On Jul 25, 2018
babadee1:

Yet,it is the Lagos population and GDP that is the motor rather than the drag on Nigeria's growth isn't it?The same Lagos has one of the highest GDP/capita in Nigeria.One of the wealthiest states,and can run independent of Federal aid. Do you know why? because it is the most industrialized state in Nigeria.Proves my point. Many Middle belt states have smaller populations yet are much poorer/capita than 'overpopulated' Lagos and are not going anywhere fast.
A family of 3 with a deadbeat dad who earns only.#3000 is worse off than a family of 6 with a father than brings in #300,000.It is not population but productivity.
You talk about human capital? What is the function of Government? If we cut our population(the so called solution) would human capital suddenly improve?
Re: Necessity Of Birth Control, Family Planning In Nigeria by babadee1(m): 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2018
dragon2:

Yet,it is the Lagos population and GDP that is the motor rather than the drag on Nigeria's growth isn't it?The same Lagos has one of the highest GDP/capita in Nigeria.One of the wealthiest states,and can run independent of Federal aid. Do you know why? because it is the most industrialized state in Nigeria.Proves my point. Many Middle belt states have smaller populations yet are much poorer/capita than 'overpopulated' Lagos and are not going anywhere fast.
A family of 3 with a deadbeat dad who earns only.#3000 is worse off than a family of 6 with a father than brings in #300,000.It is not population but productivity.
You talk about human capital? What is the function of Government? If we cut our population(the so called solution) would human capital suddenly improve?

I have already answered your question in the very post that you quoted. If you don't see it then you don't want to see it. Hopefully our policy makers will understand the issue and do something about our population problem before it's too late.
To the Lagos issue. The level of industrial activity in Lagos is high compared to other parts of Nigeria but it's extremely tiny compared to what is needed to grow the economy to be able to accommodate over 180 million people. The little bit of industrialisation is what drives migration into Lagos from all over the country and from neighbouring countries as well. This rate of migration and population growth is not sustainable for the future. Anybody can see that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cure Premature Ejaculaion And Infertility Using Quail Eggs / What Diseases Can You Get From Shaking Hands ?? / COVID-19 Update For January 17 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.