Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,104 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

If Only You Could Change What You Think Of Yourself - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / If Only You Could Change What You Think Of Yourself (311 Views)

If You Could Change One Thing About Nigerian Girls, What Would That Be? / If You Could Change Anything About Your Past, What Would It Be? / How Often Do You Think Of Breaking Up With Your Current Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If Only You Could Change What You Think Of Yourself by daviesblaze(m): 7:00pm On Jul 26, 2018
��������������

“Change your thoughts and you change your world.” ~Norman Peale

I used to watch people on the streets & think their boisterous conversations & broad smiles were evidence they lived a life better than mine.
I assumed they were happier than me, smarter, &worth more than me.
I would sit in my house& try to imagine what it would be like to be someone else, someone happier.
Have you ever felt like everyone else was doing better than you? Like the deck was so stacked against you& you'd never catch up? I understand the feeling.
I was always a dreamer with big ideas and ridiculous plans, but I was unable to make those plans a reality because the story I told myself was that I wasn't enough. As long as I continued to tell myself that story, I would continue to be not enough.

The current state of your life is a direct result of the stories you tell yourself,& what you really believe is possible—not what you say is possible, but what you believe deep down in your core.
My story about not being good enough showed itself in every aspect of my life—my family, my social life, my achievements.
Until I was able to open my eyes& change it, these aspects of my life were not changing. You receive what you are telling your subconscious mind you deserve. I was telling that I wasn't good enough& that's what I saw all around me.
I realized this one day when I was watching a Tony Robbins video on YouTube. Yes, I had heard it plenty of times before, but for some reason at that time, it really clicked. You will learn the lessons you most need when you are ready for them.

The first step in changing a limiting belief is identifying it.
Identifying my story about not being good enough was surprisingly difficult because I had told myself that story for so long I thought of it as true.

What limiting story are you telling yourself? Maybe it's that you'll never find love or that you'll never earn over a certain amount of money or you'll never make a living doing what you love or that you are not smart enough to succeed.
All of these are stories. The difference between you & the others is the stories you tell yourself. Changing that story is one of the most important steps to changing your life.

Now that you've identified your story, you have to make a new one instead.
For me, it was simply deciding that I was just as good as anyone else& I deserved just as much as anyone else. Think about your limiting story. How can you change that story to make it empowering?

A new story in itself is not always enough, it needs to be rooted in something. You have to believe it, &changing your belief can be the most difficult thing.
When I looked at my life objectively I realized that I'd actually accomplished quite a bit. I'd always done well in school. I'd written quite a large body of work I enjoyed & I always helpful others. I was a loving & caring person.
As I started to look at my situation more, I realized that one of my core problems was “the anyone else” part of my story. I was comparing myself to others & that lead to unhappiness. I started to change my story again to simply say that I am good.

Supporting your new story with facts will help you believe it, but what really anchors it into your life is associating it with positive emotions.
I started meditating every morning & evening. Once my meditation was over, before I got up, I'd visualize something that was connected to my new story.
I'd imagine myself having relaxed life w love of my life and conversations w people, & being in Iran in a safehouse. You can imagine anything you like.

Be kind to yourself
The physical circumstances around you won't change overnight. You won't change to being abundant & then suddenly have millions in your bank account the next morning. What will happen, though, is you will recognize the opportunities that will get you there. Don't be angry with yourself or the Universe if it is not fast enough for you. Taking small steps in the right direction every day will get you there.

with ❤️.

(1) (Reply)

Fwb / Thoughtful Ways To Spice Up Your Relationships / Simi’s “similola” Album Hits 1 Million Streams On Boomplay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.