Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" (12380 Views)

Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey / Which Is Actually More Important, Your Degree Or Work Experience? / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Successmind(m): 9:37am On Sep 01, 2021
Coz my papa no b dangote,or adeleke.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by PAWG(m): 9:39am On Sep 01, 2021
Guys! It really doesn’t matter, if I work at Aramco, I don’t care whether I’m working with, without, for or under, I’ll be alright

3 Likes

Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by beejaay: 9:40am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:
A serious argument ensued in my office after we conducted an interview for new entrants into our firm, while some of the people interviewed said they will 'work for us', one or two persons said they will 'work with us'.

One of the interview team members rather saw the use of the word, "work with us" as form of pride and that such people should not be employed in the firm, while the others are of the view that they do not see something wrong in the use of the word 'work with'. Different people gave different interpretation to the words.

House, I just want to hear your opinion on this, as that will serve to stop the lingering employment crisis generated in my firm since after the interview yesterday.

working with you = Taking ownership is what every smart employer want in an employee but lacking in most nigeria employee/employer relationship...employee are drivers of the firm goals and objectives and can only do that effectively if they see that firm as theirs...i will employ those that wanna work with me than those that wanna work for me..those that work for me will most likely not care if my firm is collapsing provided that they can milk me dry...

working for you = they see themselves as an outsider with nothing to lose aside their wage, they mostly wont care and never take ownership..

The major reason why blue-chip companies like shell, chevron,P&G, microfsoft,facebook will continue to soar is because they infuse into their onboarding for new hire the importance of ownership and as a result everyone see themselves as partake in the ownership of the company..infact they go as far as buying options for employee in the company shares which is only accessed when you retire...
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 01, 2021
AjanleKoko:
Naija don come again!
There's really no difference. As far as I am concerned, employees are not slaves. They're working for a wage. So in effect, they are working with your firm.

The 'working for' is a silly ego trip; those your colleagues who said so, are they the owners of the firm? Which one be their own?
If you really need those people, you would not bother with silly semantics.

Well said! Couldn't have put it better.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by macho44(m): 9:45am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:
A serious argument ensued in my office after we conducted an interview for new entrants into our firm, while some of the people interviewed said they will 'work for us', one or two persons said they will 'work with us'.

One of the interview team members rather saw the use of the word, "work with us" as form of pride and that such people should not be employed in the firm, while the others are of the view that they do not see something wrong in the use of the word 'work with'. Different people gave different interpretation to the words.

House, I just want to hear your opinion on this, as that will serve to stop the lingering employment crisis generated in my firm since after the interview yesterday.

That your team member who saw the use of the word "work with us" as a form of pride has FAMILY PROBLEMS grin grin grin, he dey carry company matter for head like say na his papa get the establishment.

Tired Of Paying For Premium SEO & DIGITAL MARKETING Tools? Get Instant Access To Over 150+ Premium SEO & DIGITAL Marketing Tools For FREE Today @ FreeToolsHub
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Komu1048(m): 9:48am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:

Me I will like to work under you. Should I send my cv?
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Adewa01(m): 9:52am On Sep 01, 2021
Work with is ok
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by seyz91(m): 9:52am On Sep 01, 2021
No mind thise idiots staffs that said "work with us" is pride

Thats a big lie, work with us it the way to go, those trying to set the use of English between "work with us and work for us" are just looking for excuse to set some nonsense standard as to why they wouldn't employ them

Normally! Work with us and work for you is just like comparing a LEADER to a BOSS, you work for a boss while you work with a leader but it's best for one to be seen a leader rathan than Boss for optimal result and productivity
Mkpotu:

Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Steve0979(m): 9:57am On Sep 01, 2021
On top ow much nai Una want start dis morning,mtchew work for or work with Kor
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by AntiWailer: 9:57am On Sep 01, 2021
Nonsense.

Even on top 8 digits salary and 7 digits per month dem no dey ask nonsense questions.

Work for u , under u , on top u au does that determine the right candidate.

Set the fkin KPIs and get the best person for the job.

Rubbish once again
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Whitecoal711: 9:57am On Sep 01, 2021
Working with one is the best,but it all depends on how am treated
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Kingstanding: 9:59am On Sep 01, 2021
buchio7:
na wah 4 all dese slave drivers masquerading as employers.
. That is what happened in a place where there is only one job available for the job applicants and hundred applied. Nonsense country full of useless employers.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by ppogba: 10:04am On Sep 01, 2021
What has Nairaland turned to?

For somebody to bring a thread of 2010 in September 2021 is sickening.

If there are no stories/ issues to discuss, why not shut down for a few days?
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by TheOldGods: 10:12am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:

Look at ordinary peanut company, are you paying upto 500k a month?

Even the white people I'm working with that pays 400-500k every week, even puts thanks and please when they are talking to me, I even call them by their names, nothing like sir, boss etc. I work with them, and I am an expert See pictures. In Nigeria everybody think they are king, be commanding nonsense
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by AKWATGOLD1(m): 10:15am On Sep 01, 2021
fizzybaba:
work with and work for defined

work with: when someone says work with, such persons recognises him/her self as a professional who is coming to the add value to the system. Technically, it means both parties( employer and employee) are collaborating to achieve a goal.
However, it is an appropriate phrase to adopt when you are like a consultant and not a bloody employee on the payroll.

Work for: here, u humbly agree to be seen as an employee, on the payroll, working your butt to get paid. sefini

Guy, you are ON POINT.

Gbefun
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by phemmyfour: 10:15am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:

You lack exposure in your office. The correct phrase is "work with" not "work for". In a big Organization with different department working in synergy.....you work with others
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by MeghaneMorgane(f): 10:16am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:

These guys a making a mountain out of a hill. For or with is not important here. If they can do the job and if they are honest is what is important .
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Born2conquer: 10:21am On Sep 01, 2021
Initially, i was working for myself but I discovered i lack some management skills

I need to work for someone to learn those things
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by nauto: 10:22am On Sep 01, 2021
Work with ( Private sector)
Work for ( Government Civil Servant )
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 01, 2021
For is slavery
With is partnership

With will do grin
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 01, 2021
I use work with because I’m optimistic that I can provide skills and talent to the table to help build your organization and bring customers. I have seen companies make other choices instead of me and I never heard from them again grin

Work for is just to earn the minimum wage no desire to change the status quo and challenge team members with your input
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by deen84(m): 10:32am On Sep 01, 2021
Mosopzy23:
I would have argued in favour of working for someone cos I earned quite a lot when I worked for a boss. However the Serenity, no bossy attitude, no daily, weekly or monthly target that comes with working for someone, or even the stress of waking very early to get to work early which comes with working for someone cannot be compared to working for yourself.
Even though what I earn now is still considerably lower than what I earned while working for someone , the peace and stress free life I enjoy now has really improved my productivity. Btw it's only a matter of time before I surpass my previous earnings.

Do you want to work from home, office or anywhere without any stress and still make at least 200k a month. Check my signature for the right plug.
deen4real84@yahoo.com
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Awesome007(m): 10:37am On Sep 01, 2021
AjanleKoko:
Naija don come again!
There's really no difference. As far as I am concerned, employees are not slaves. They're working for a wage. So in effect, they are working with your firm.

The 'working for' is a silly ego trip; those your colleagues who said so, are they the owners of the firm? Which one be their own?
If you really need those people, you would not bother with silly semantics.
There's a sharp different between the two, you can work with to provide logical assistant etc
but you can work for to render personal service for someone.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by RightToReject(m): 10:39am On Sep 01, 2021
It takes one on a gold collar status to work with an entity - assuming an associate or consultant position - while it takes one on a blue-collar or white-collar status to work for an entity - assuming a subordinate position.

As a gold collar worker, you'll enjoy your rights to liberty to the fullest, provided that you live up to the terms and conditions of your engagement with the entity, but the same privilege can't be enjoyed by blue and white-collar workers.

Well, I've chosen to be an entity and operate as one, and deal with gold collar, white-collar, and blue-collar workers.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by damoceile: 10:55am On Sep 01, 2021
"Work for" sounds like slavery to me, while "Work with" sounds better.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by jaytii(f): 11:00am On Sep 01, 2021
WITH US
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by sabreal: 11:25am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:

Rather work for my self. Start small and cultivate growth
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by DonroxyII: 11:52am On Sep 01, 2021
Mkpotu:

I can only work with someone not for someone ...........
The day you misbehave is the day I will leave your job ......

Me wey dey para for my Boss but no try am if you no be Confirm in terms of academic, Professional and technical knowledge.... They will toss you away !!
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by ThierryJay: 12:32pm On Sep 01, 2021
From my experience, work with is a formal term often used by consultants or third party experts to emphasize collaboration with the client. In short, it means to collaborate.

For a prospective employee at an interview, it does not seem appropriate if you consider an applicant telling the interviewer: "I will collaborate with you/the company to achieve.." It actually does sound off as if the interviewee is in an external role and may come across as arrogant or misunderstanding of roles.

Work with is appropriate to say for a prospective employee when the subject is about engaging with fellow employees or other departments in the same Company. But when the reference is to the Company itself as a whole, the appropriate term for a candidate is work for and not work with.

And this has nothing to do with self-confidence but register. That you work for a company doesnt belittle you. Imagine Richard Quest saying he works with CNN, that's wrong, is he a contractor? He simply works for CNN.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by capnies: 1:45pm On Sep 01, 2021
I THINK WORKING WITH SOMEONE SIMPLY MEANS YOU HAVE A STAKE IN THE ORGANIZATION LIKE HAVING A SHARE BEING PARTNERS; WORKING FOR IS THE CORRECT TERM FOR THOSE IN THE PAYROLL WHO JUST WORK FOR MONTHLY STIPEND

YET IF SOMEBODY OUTSIDE ASK YOU WHERE ARE YOU WORKING, YOUR REPLY SHOULD BE AM WORKING WITH NOT AM WORKING FOR
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by victons(m): 1:59pm On Sep 01, 2021
Working with is actually the right thing to say.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows How To Become A Surveyor In Nigeria? / Top Positions, Demanding Jobs Not For Women- Man Lectures Female Colleagues / Requirement Needed For Studying Nursing @ USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.