Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Would You Vote For An Atheist? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Vote For An Atheist? (2296 Views)

Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment / Atheist Mubarak Spends Holiday In Prison As Police Shun Court Order / 'Fayose Has Promised Students 20 Marks To Vote For PDP' – Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Ehiscotch(m): 11:14am On Jul 29, 2018
Can we ever seperate religion from politics (or anything in this country)? Nigeria being a country with over 190 million people is a very fragile, volatile and religiously sensitive Muslim-Christian state --yes, we are not a secular state, forget all the crap in our constitution. We have long been polarised along religious lines and our politicians have preyed on this from time to win election(s). Even the 'civilized and educated' are still swayed by religious sentiments but would never confess to this being their major reason; conciously or subconciously we are influenced by our religious opinions. But the poser is "WOULD YOU DROP RELIGION ASIDE AND VOTE FOR AN ATHEIST?"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Ehiscotch(m): 11:16am On Jul 29, 2018
To All Those Who Do Not Comment Here Is A Poll For You. If Yes Click Share; No, Click Like.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by teewhydope(m): 11:16am On Jul 29, 2018
I believe, only an atheist can revive this dead country. so definitely YES

5 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Ehiscotch(m): 11:22am On Jul 29, 2018
Somebody who would not require propaganda to influence muslims in the North or Christians in the South: A new breath of fresh air in our politics that would be neutral, religiously. No more appointments based on religion; aren't we tired of that nonsense? Our so called God-fearing leaders have not all been so "God-fearing" after all.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2018
Why not? God can use an atheist to straighten things in the country. Besides, atheists won't go about killing and maiming people, forcing them to join their non existent religion.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Lagosfinder(m): 11:41am On Jul 29, 2018
An atheist thats against God
Never!!!
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2018
Being a good leader has nothing to do with your religious belief..

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by kodded(m): 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2018
a vote for an atheist us a vote for your freedom go and check how China and north Korea are doing under their atheist leaders

...zero freedom !

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by dake40(m): 12:21pm On Jul 29, 2018
Lagosfinder:
An atheist thats against God

Never!!!

What have the ones (for God) done?

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Shelumiel: 12:23pm On Jul 29, 2018
Voting for an atheist is equivalent to voting for homosexuals, lesbians, cross-dressers, terrorists , sado-masochists and all sorts of perverted persons.

1 Like

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Ojiofor: 12:25pm On Jul 29, 2018
Ehiscotch:
Can we ever seperate religion from politics (or anything in this country)? Nigeria being a country with over 190 million people is a very fragile, volatile and religiously sensitive Muslim-Christian state --yes, we are not a secular state, forget all the crap in our constitution. We have long been polarised along religious lines and our politicians have preyed on this from time to win election(s). Even the 'civilized and educated' are still swayed by religious sentiments but would never confess to this being their major reason; conciously or subconciously we are influenced by our religious opinions. But the poser is "WOULD YOU DROP RELIGION ASIDE AND VOTE FOR AN ATHEIST?"

An Atheist can be better than a muslim/christian hypocrites that have been ruling us.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Shelumiel: 12:26pm On Jul 29, 2018
Religión has man society bearable, but think of a society where no religion exist ...no thought of right and wrong , or good and evil, or what is allow and what isn't. Chai! God forbid . God forbid that an atheist should preside over Nigeria !
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by akoaki(m): 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2018
Ehiscotch:
Somebody who would not require propaganda to influence muslims in the North or Christians in the South: A new breath of fresh air in our politics that would be neutral, religiously. No more appointments based on religion; aren't we tired of that nonsense? Our so called God-fearing leaders have not all been so "God-fearing" after all.

I have not identified any God fearing leader in Nigeria. Even God himself fears nigerian leaders because of the way our leaders dare Him.
African leaders , who are supposed to be shepherds, are feeding fat on the blood of their flock instead of feeding it.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Pavore9: 12:39pm On Jul 29, 2018
Do we have God-fearing leaders in Nigeria? How far have those Muslim and Christian elected leaders taken us since 1999? The trillions embezzled, is it by atheists.

I prefer a leader who is an atheist that judiciously utilize resources for the common good to a leader who continues to steal from the common purse while still want to be identified as God-fearing, such hypocrisy!

Humanity is universal, Religion a choice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2018
teewhydope:
Atheist? Why? All the atheists I know, the ones from Nairaland are not even smart, which atheist are we talking about?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2018
candy:
Why not? God can use an atheist to straighten things in the country. Besides, atheists won't go about killing and maiming people, forcing them to join their non existent religion.
God? Wouldn't that be a low IQ decision from any God that truly exists?
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
GutsOverFear:
Well said. The average Nigerian atheist is as dumb as the average religious fanatic.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by revolt(m): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2018
We need an atheist .. these religious bigots no try

1 Like

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 3:53pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Atheist? Why? All the atheists I know, the ones from Nairaland are not even smart, which atheist are we talking about?

Aren't you making sweeping statements?

You mean all atheists on Nairaland are not smart? not even a single one? are you basing this on the religious debates you've had with them or read from them or you also took a mental note of them and saw their views on other issues asides religion? because I feel what you're saying in essence is that no Nairalander is smart

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 3:54pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sapiosexuality:

Gods aren't known for high IQ, there's a reason Christians say their imaginary friend works in "mysterious ways"

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
My statement is based on my personal conviction, my own opinion of God's might.
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:18pm On Jul 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Aren't you making sweeping statements?

You mean all atheists on Nairaland are not smart? not even a single one? are you basing this on the religious debates you've had with them or read from them or you also took a mental note of them and saw their views on other issues asides religion? because I feel what you're saying in essence is that no Nairalander is smart
No. None has shown an intelligence capable of bringing us out of this mess. That's if Kay17 is agnostic and I think he is. I've not seen any atheist here with that unique intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Gods aren't known for high IQ, there's a reason Christians say their imaginary friend works in "mysterious ways"
Exactly what I'm saying. Good one.
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:20pm On Jul 29, 2018
candy:

My statement is based on my personal conviction, my own opinion of God's might.
I'm sorry but such will be dumb from the Christian if he truly posses such powers ascribed to him.
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 5:27pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
No. None has shown an intelligence capable of bringing us out of this mess. That's if Kay17 is agnostic and I think he is. I've not seen any atheist here with that unique intelligence.

did you just shift the goalposts? your previous claim is that no Nairaland atheist is smart, now its changed to "shown an intelligence capable of bringing us out of this mess"

Never mind though, I understand your reaction is that of someone who realised he's put his foot in the mouth

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:28pm On Jul 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

did you just shift the goalposts? your previous claim is that no Nairaland atheist is smart, now its changed to "shown an intelligence capable of bringing us out of this mess"

Never mind though, I understand your reaction is that of someone who realised he's put his foot in the mouth
Lol. You think I'm here to argue or to appear appealing or to win? Lol. I gave up on that here a long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2018
GutsOverFear:

actually it does to an extent. there's no way a fundamentalist religious person would make a good leader of a country

2 Likes

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Lol. You think I'm here to argue or to appear appealing or to win? Lol. I gave up on that here a long time ago.
Did you just assume what I'm thinking then ran away with it?
Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 5:34pm On Jul 29, 2018
Pavore9:
Do we have God-fearing leaders in Nigeria? How far have those Muslim and Christian elected leaders taken us since 1999? The trillions embezzled, is it by atheists.

I prefer a leader who is an atheist that judiciously utilize resources for the common good to a leader who continues to steal from the common purse while still want to be identified as God-fearing, such hypocrisy!

Humanity is universal, Religion a choice.

I struck that part out cuz it doesn't matter if the person is an atheist or not. so long he/she judiciously utilizes resources then there's hope be he/she religious or not

Nigerias problems however runs deeper than what one person can solve

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:34pm On Jul 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Did you just assume what I'm thinking then ran away with it?
Logicboy, thehomer, LogicMind, JackBizzle, Johnnydon, cyrex, Mazaje, Seun, etc. I don't have energy for argument anymore. We should be paid to do this here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by hopefulLandlord: 5:42pm On Jul 29, 2018
teewhydope:

Why do you hold such a belief? there are countries ruled by atheists that haven't improved much since the atheist got to the helm, why are you so sure Nigeria would be different from such?

1 Like

Re: Would You Vote For An Atheist? by Pavore9: 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I struck that part out cuz it doesn't matter if the person is an atheist or not. so long he/she judiciously utilizes resources then there's hope be he/she religious or not

Nigerias problems however runs deeper than what one person can solve

I responded directly to the OP's mention of an atheist and the implying from some responders that a person without religious affiliation is a no go area.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Vs Yoruba. Beware Of The New BMC Tactics. / The End Of An Era, Adieu Ipob, Adieu Biafra / Why Can't The PDP Show Their Paid Campaign Crowd Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.