Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment (16010 Views)

LP Tackles Soyinka, Accuses Nobel Laureate Of ‘exhibiting Dual Character’ / Kano Govt Reacts To Attempts To Bribe Tribunal Judge, Accuses Ganduje / El-Rufai Accuses Ganduje Of Bribing NLC Leaders To Cause Mayhem In Kaduna (Audio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Deltafirstson(m): 4:30am On Apr 11, 2022
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has lambasted Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State for his hypocrisy and promotion of religious intolerance in the state which allegedly contributed to the 24-year jail term handed down to atheist, Mubarak Bala.

In a telephone interview with The PUNCH, Soyinka said the sentence handed down to Bala must be appealed at once even as he argued that it was hypocritical of the Ganduje government and the Sharia authorities to be chasing blasphemers while the governor himself saw nothing wrong in stuffing his babariga outfit with dollars.

Ganduje was in 2018 caught on video stuffing his outfit with wads of dollars presumed to be kickbacks, a development which attracted criticisms from several pro-transparency groups.

The governor however denied receiving kickbacks.

Soyinka said he was shocked by Ganduje’s statement wherein he promised to sign the death warrant of musician, Yahaya Shariff, who was convicted for blasphemy in 2020.
“You can imagine a governor saying he would sign the death warrant of a musician for blasphemy! For me, it is nothing short of a crime against humanity. It reeks of hypocrisy. This was the same governor that was stuffing his outfit with dollars.

“I have deliberately not called for his arrest because he enjoys immunity. But these are the people who arrest blasphemers,” said the Nobel Laureate.

When asked if he would be seeking Ganduje’s prosecution after he leaves office, Soyinka responded, “Of course, the authorities know what to do once he leaves office.”
He added that it was hypocritical of the northern leaders to hound blasphemers while turning a blind eye to corruption.

The Nobel Laureate called on civil society groups to launch a campaign against the 24-year imprisonment of Bala even as he insisted that the moves should be made to immediately appeal the sentence.

“I am glad that the conviction will be appealed but I think it is imperative for rights groups to launch a campaign against these atrocities. Nigeria is a secular nation and has no state religion. The conviction is one of the fallouts of the so-called Sharia that was adopted by some of these states years ago.

“We are not in the dark ages or cavemen. No one should be imprisoned for their religious views. The concept of blasphemy should not even exist in a secular state,” he said.
Also in an interview with The PUNCH, Bala’s lawyer, James Ibor, said the matter would be appealed soon.

The lawyer said the 24-year sentence handed to his client was outrageous, adding that the court even lacked the jurisdiction to hear the matter in the first place.

Ibor lamented that despite a Federal High Court in Abuja ordering the release of his client, the authorities refused to obey the order.

“We will appeal the matter very soon. This is a travesty of justice. My client only pleaded guilty because he and his family had been receiving threats and just decided to end it all. And even after pleading guilty, the sentence should not have exceeded five years based on Kano sentencing guidelines and he has already been in detention for two years which means he shouldn’t have been given more than three years,” Ibor said.

Human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), also condemned the sentence, adding that he was sure the matter would be overturned once it is challenged at the Court of Appeal.
“The conviction will not stand the test of an appeal. He should also apply for bail. No doubt, the Court of Appeal will uphold his fundamental rights of freedom of conscience and freedom of expression,” Falana said.

https://punchng.com/soyinka-accuses-ganduje-of-hypocrisy-over-atheists-imprisonment/

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by chatinent: 4:37am On Apr 11, 2022
Which is what it is.

Country said I have a right to worship. When I choose not to worship the one they use to garner support, they want to kill me.

Nigeria and ingredients.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Zenzu01(m): 4:48am On Apr 11, 2022
All the fundamental human rights in the constitution are only there so that they can teach it to primary school kids. Not that we really have those rights.

As my friend will always say "Na mumu dey know him right"

Why he made that statement was when we thought we were on our rights not to be scared of patrolling policemen since we're not criminals. To cut the story short. They sha collected up to 20k from us for being innocent citizens.

I wish this country will work but for now, get money and get out of this country. Then you can start expressing your rights in diaspora cheesy cheesy

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by DickDastardly(m): 4:49am On Apr 11, 2022
shocked
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Zico5(m): 4:50am On Apr 11, 2022
Fighting for an Atheist when he supposed to be fighting for the sustainable of this country. You are one of the advocates of this maladministration but u went mute for seven years despite seeing the rot in the polity. But u can find Ur voice to fight for one dejected guy over there. U have lost all the respect being given to u. Deranged man indeed.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by marxist88: 4:54am On Apr 11, 2022
Blast ipob before KANO people

1 Like

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Skillsnigeria: 4:54am On Apr 11, 2022
grin
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by olas24u(f): 4:56am On Apr 11, 2022
The most corrupt people in Nigeria are from the North of Nigeria

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by LordGuru1: 4:57am On Apr 11, 2022
grin Bunch of self-deceitful religious bigots/manipulators/Kleptomaniacs.

18 Likes

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by blaquemyc: 4:58am On Apr 11, 2022
No freedom in this country
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Burgerlomo: 5:00am On Apr 11, 2022
What a ridiculous sentencing

2 Likes

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ArewaTech1(m): 5:00am On Apr 11, 2022
olas24u:
The most corrupt people in Nigeria are from the North of Nigeria

if that gets you through the night, love.

hatred is allowed

1 Like

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ddeola: 5:02am On Apr 11, 2022
A governor whose hands should be cut-off according to law of islam. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

43 Likes

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by KUNZEH(m): 5:03am On Apr 11, 2022
Prof. Don't even go there.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by donprinyo(m): 5:03am On Apr 11, 2022
Injustice to one is injustice to all. Today it's Mubarak tomorrow it could be u

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by DKM123: 5:04am On Apr 11, 2022
This country is shameful to say the least. Why can't the North just agree to separate and go in peace so we can have a country with a little bit of sanity? Why?!!! Which Kain by fire by force marriage is this, toriolohun?!!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by olas24u(f): 5:05am On Apr 11, 2022
ArewaTech1:

if that gets you through the night, love.

hatred is allowed

I don't get you? Until their is justice you will never know. Which constitution was interpreted by the courts to reach 24years in a matter that could easily end in a lower court. If this is not a corrupt judge

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by GboyegaD(m): 5:05am On Apr 11, 2022
Nigeria is f***ed up. The government is clueless and the judiciary, very useless.

4 Likes

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Wazobia2216: 5:05am On Apr 11, 2022
Deltafirstson:

he argued that it was hypocritical of the Ganduje government and the Sharia authorities to be chasing blasphemers while the governor himself saw nothing wrong in stuffing his babariga outfit with dollars.
https://punchng.com/soyinka-accuses-ganduje-of-hypocrisy-over-atheists-imprisonment/
Everybody except Buhari understood what went down that day!

I thought they said Ganduje had P.hd

Oh I know, P.hd in bribery and corruption

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by Ulunne777(f): 5:10am On Apr 11, 2022
There are thousands of northern Moslems who'd have left the religion save for sentences like these.

Allow your God to fight for himself if you claim he's not disabled/dead

18 Likes

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by zeyt: 5:11am On Apr 11, 2022
Ganduje did what he believes will make people happy to gain a measure of political advantage. Most average Northern Muslims are very religious. They don't tolerate blesphemy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by kingthreat(m): 5:12am On Apr 11, 2022
The thing is that if Kano state government does not jail Bala Mubarak, the Kano people will kill him. I hope Bala even survives jail as he could be killed there. Just saying

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by ArewaTech1(m): 5:16am On Apr 11, 2022
olas24u:

I don't get you? Until their is justice you will never know. Which constitution was interpreted by the courts to reach 24years in a matter that could easily end in a lower court. If this is not a corrupt judge

I hope you know that in the north they try people under THEIR INTERPRETATION of the Shari'a law.

Perhaps that's where the 24 years came from.
Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by kiyosaki1(m): 5:17am On Apr 11, 2022
You are discrediting simply becausr he is blaming ganduje who is the right hand man of your demi god.
Zico5:
Fighting for an Atheist when he supposed to be fighting for the sustainable of this country. You are one of the advocates of this maladministration but u went mute for seven years despite seeing the rot in the polity. But u can find Ur voice to fight for one dejected guy over there. U have lost all the respect being given to u. Deranged man indeed.

9 Likes

Re: Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment by chiedu7: 5:18am On Apr 11, 2022
The Somebody will say that, there is compulsion in with the Must Peaceful Religion On Earth angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan's PHD Thesis Deposited Online And Accessible Worldwide / Buhari Set To Cancel Strategic Chinese Direct Investments In Place Of IMF Loans. / Jonathan's Ex-CSO, Obuah Released By DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.