Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? (5331 Views)

I Practised Christianity For 30 Years; Black Magic For 9 Years, But None Worked / Stepping On Juju. How Does It Work? / Photo Of The Enugu Mourners Who Confessed Killing Man With Juju At His Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by TOSIN116: 10:05am On Aug 01, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

So if I'm able to scatter a "strong babalawo shrine" you'd stop believing god exists?
Nah! but it enough to convince me you mean what you're saying
and from there i will tell you what next.
There are many places you can go to feel spiritual forces church like TB joshua,Olumba olumba and other miracle working churches you know you can go there is see if the testimonies you have been hearing is true or not.

Anyway wanna make an attempt?
cheesy
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by hopefulLandlord: 10:08am On Aug 01, 2018
TOSIN116:

Nah! but it enough to convince me you mean what you're saying
and from there i will tell you what next.
There are many places you can go to feel spiritual forces church like TB joshua,Olumba olumba and other miracle working churches you know you can go there is see if the testimonies you have been hearing is true or not.

Anyway wanna make an attempt?
cheesy

This was your initial post

a true atheist should be able to locate a strong babalawo shrine a scatter it to prove the gods doesn't exist
Why shift the goalposts?
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by hopefulLandlord: 10:13am On Aug 01, 2018
Martinez19:
I have heard stories that marine witchcraft is responsible for advanced technology. grin Dr. Olukoya and other pastorpreneurs are truly working.
It encourages lazy thinking

Q: why are the Oyinbos inventing so many cool things and their countries are so advanced?

A: They are using Juju

Conversation stops there and the answer feels cozy and good to the giver. Some even say the Jujus of the Oyinbos can be used for good while that of Africans can only be used for the bad. I ask such people how come Africans aren't the ones that invented atomic bomb? cruise missile? because I could've sworn Oyinbos are the ones making both beneficial and destructive things

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by tintingz(m): 10:46am On Aug 01, 2018
FOLYKAZE:

Lol.

But let us be serious here please.

How do you explain a situation whereby Babalawo identify a thief by just putting a gun powder on the suspects hand? This particular feat still marvels me till tomorrow because I dont have logical explanation for it. It is accurate from my record. Even recently, an issue happened with the head of my street and his co-settlers in their farm. The Chief killed an antelope which he fried and kept indoor. The next day, on returning home from his field, he couldn't find his meet. So he came home angrily and invited his Awo popularly called Baba Eletu. When the man arrived, he asked the chief to invite his suspects. Chief had to made a call across and ensured that all the settlers gathered in his house in the city. The Eletu get to work, put some gun powder in the suspects hand and ask them to confess or their hand will burn. Nothing actually happened to them. So he quickly consulted his Ifa and deduced that the real culprit is among the suspects but there is a missing link. So he asked for if the Children and Servant of the suspects stole the fried meat, and applied the gunpowder in their hands, still nothing happened. He asked again if the their dog of the suspect ate the fried meat, and like a flash, one of the men suspected hand burn.

The point is, he did not steal the meat, his children or servant did not, but his dog did which this art dug out. On many occasions, the Eletu grants permission to onlookers to try this art just to prove he is authentic. And note that it has been tested and proven 100% working except in cases where the suspected persons are not the real culprit.
Did you witness all these, if no you have no point and if yes you might just be seeing magical tricks. I wonder why it's not used in investigative department in the force.

There is another thing called 'Atagba' in my dialect. Don't know what it is called in other tongue. It is a form of attack that remotely push some items into the body of a victim. I have not witnessed when an attacker initiates an attack but I have personally seen many victims of this attack.

You don't need to believe this. When issue like this happen, Doctors who know about it mostly refer the victims to tradition who will remove these projectile and heal them of any interal injuries. What are these projectile? Nail, pin, animal teeth, cowrie, metal and so many dangerous things. And the funny thing is, xray won't be able to detect these things in the victim body. This form of attack is common among Ikale, Edo and Akoko.
You said you didn't witness when they were been attacked, you have no point, sorry bro.

And how did you conclude x-ray won't detect the objects, have you experiments it before or you just assume?

There are thinkers, philosophers and nature observers in Africa before the Intruders came to us. War is a common thing back in those days and one cannot deny form of weapon these people invented and used. Please do not take away the fact that they can manipulate nature and divert rain to fall elsewhere. They invented diseases to fight their enemies. Chickenpox is a good example. They inflicted othet community and people with it so as to weaken them before launching attack. Chickenpox was idolized and called Sonponna. In this age that we can cure the disease, Sonponna worship has dropped drastically.
@bolded, talk more of Poseidon or is it orisha Oshun or Yemoja?

Your second paragraph shows how people believe things out of ignorance( argumentum ad ignoratiam).

This happened to me. A local midwife accurately predict the sex, date of birth and health condition of my wife pregnancy by merely touching her stomach. The so called scanning machines provided contradicting sex and date of delivery result. The DOD from thr hospital esp is about two weeks ahead. Shouldn't we give kudos to the Mama and help her improve her skill? Shouldn't we investigate her knowledge and expand more on it?
I've also predicted things and it was accurate, should i be forming professor X or Mr psychic?

We have animals predicting things, we have people who are good at cold reading, we have psychologist as well, it's not new and not a thing to be taking very serious like it's kind of magical or supernatural. We have seen failed predictions by people who claim to have super-powers.

I won't deny these facts. These feats are crude science if examined. However, people blow things out of proportion
Yeah, it's more like a science-trick.

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by NPComplete: 10:55am On Aug 01, 2018
@Folykaze this your story is hilarious. And very awfully suspicious.

How do you explain a situation whereby Babalawo identify a thief by just putting a gun powder on the suspects hand? This particular feat still marvels me till tomorrow because I dont have logical explanation for it. It is accurate from my record. Even recently, an issue happened with the head of my street and his co-settlers in their farm. The Chief killed an antelope which he fried and kept indoor. The next day, on returning home from his field, he couldn't find his meet. So he came home angrily and invited his Awo popularly called Baba Eletu. When the man arrived, he asked the chief to invite his suspects. Chief had to made a call across and ensured that all the settlers gathered in his house in the city. The Eletu get to work, put some gun powder in the suspects hand and ask them to confess or their hand will burn. Nothing actually happened to them. So he quickly consulted his Ifa and deduced that the real culprit is among the suspects but there is a missing link. So he asked for if the Children and Servant of the suspects stole the fried meat, and applied the gunpowder in their hands, still nothing happened. He asked again if the their dog of the suspect ate the fried meat, and like a flash, one of the men suspected hand burn.

Why didn't Ifa just tell him who stole the meat instead of the continuous prodding he had to do? Seems like baba was buying time so the gunpowder concoction will react and spontaneously combust. The man himself that the thing burnt his hand could have an alibi so the baba diverted attention to the dog. At least the dog will be unable to dispute it. Smart baba.

I will like to see him try it in a scientifically set up environment with similar scenario if the stuff will burn accurately 4 times out of 5 attempts.

I wish I had time on my hands like I did early this year. I would have invited u to bring the baba to a neutral place let us test his abilities.

2 Likes

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by Martinez19(m): 10:56am On Aug 01, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

It encourages lazy thinking

Q: why are the Oyinbos inventing so many cool things and their countries are so advanced?

A: They are using Juju

Conversation stops there and the answer feels cozy and good to the giver. Some even say the Jujus of the Oyinbos can be used for good while that of Africans can only be used for the bad. I ask such people how come Africans aren't the ones that invented atomic bomb? cruise missile? because I could've sworn Oyinbos are the ones making both beneficial and destructive things
Spot on. Once they embrace their delusion, they try so much to defend it rather than probe it. When you spot a loophole, they invent an explanation to clear the loophole. It doesn't have to be rational, as long as they say something.
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by vaxx: 10:56am On Aug 01, 2018
NPComplete:
@Vaxx this your story is hilarious. And very awfully suspicious.

Why didn't Ifa just tell him who stole the meat instead of the continuous prodding he had to do? Seems like baba was buying time so the gunpowder concoction will react and spontaneously combust. The man himself that the thing burnt his hand could have an alibi so the baba diverted attention to the dog. At least the dog will be unable to dispute it. Smart baba.

I will like to see him try it in a scientifically set up environment with similar scenario if the stuff will burn accurately 4 times out of 5 attempts.

I wish I had time on my hands like I did early this year. I would have invited u to bring the baba to a neutral place let us test his abilities.
You quote the wrong moniker. Check the name again. I will never have put my words in such way.
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 01, 2018
Definitely you guys lack some brain cells, if not then you would have understood that African religions are religions and only that instead of saying all these your rubbish. It seems you are a bunch of retarded teenagers, I have no time to waste with you guys, so continu your moronic conversation without me.
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by NPComplete: 10:59am On Aug 01, 2018
vaxx:
You quote the wrong moniker. Check the name again. I will never have put my words in such way.

Sorry jare. Na Folykaze I be wan call
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by vaxx: 11:01am On Aug 01, 2018
NPComplete:

Sorry jare. Na Folykaze I be wan call
ok
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by dalaman: 11:26am On Aug 01, 2018
vaxx:
there is nothing wrong in learning from fellow being especially if the fellow understand in length of what is talking about. I am open minded person . I admit my mistake when corrected but the person in question must possess a proper understanding and not base on personal influence or feelings....

I found it funny,how you guys just accept every information just because it agree with your perspective and any idea should be rejected without giving it a second thought. This is pathetic.....

A rational person like you should have take out what you think is unusual in my response and scrutinised and not giving this halve bake advice. How do you even learn this way.

Well. I think it is more accurate to assume this ...
""If you lived the life they lived, you'd see what they see, do what they do, and be who they are""

No need to argue back and forth. Will heed to what you've said.
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by vaxx: 11:27am On Aug 01, 2018
dalaman:

No need to argue back and forth. Will heed to what you've said.
ok sir
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:38am On Aug 01, 2018
tintingz:
Did you witness all these, if no you have no point and if yes you might just be seeing magical tricks. I wonder why it's not used in investigative department in the force.

You could see how I intentionally detail the narrative. It shows I witnessed it and incidence like that had happened not thrice but so many times. The man accurately poined out thieves.

Can you prove what he did is trick? You can come to Ondo state to do the debunk.

tintingz:
You said you didn't witness when they were been attacked, you have no point, sorry bro.

And how did you conclude x-ray won't detect the objects, have you experiments it before or you just assume?
. I said I have not seen an attacker initiating an attack but I have seen victim of attacks. It is not important to know a gunner but I can know the person hit. Not so? The victim is a family member and another friend. Both of them are available for interrogation. You can get the job done instead of disputing facts because you are ignorant of what happen world beyond four corners of your room.

I was there when my Aunt was taken to the Hospital. I was there when she was withdrawn and transferred to traditionalist house. I saw the xray result and also the metals the Baba removed. I saw the injuries and cut on her body. I saw her dying fast in days until she was withdrawn from the hospital. If you do not experience these things, then please move out of your closet and do some findings. Things unexplainable happens. Yes they are nature manipulation but please go out there and have some experience. I do not need to tell you shocking things I saw. Once read someone experience about Itagba here on nairaland. Oga do your findings.

tintingz:
@bolded, talk more of Poseidon or is it orisha Oshun or Yemoja?

There arrogance set in. You lack knowledge and detest knowledge not founded in modern science. What you don't understand is modernity evolve from somewhere. Spirituality begats science.. Yes. The Alchemy, a spiritual science evolve to Chemistry of today science. Geomancy, astrology, physics and earth science have their root in temples of Gods. You can dispute that all you wish.

Before modern science, people burn some leaves just to stop rain from falling. The knowledge is well recorded and have been modernized as weather modification. The crude scientific method used by our people also works. Please do your investigation before coming out to display your ignorance. Na leaves dem dey burn, no high tech machine needed. He dey work fine.

tintingz:
Your second paragraph shows how people believe things out of ignorance( argumentum ad ignoratiam).

LOL. It is rather intelligence.

They rather call their disease, god just like some call some energy or idea god.

You haven't disputed the fact that they created a disease and use it in a biological warfare.

tintingz:
I've also predict things and it's accurate, should i be forming professor X or Mr psychic?

Should we because the local midwife is not educated and use crude tools like herbs and scrubs for treatment most which she can't explain but works mean we should disregard and stop trusting her skill? Shouldn't you if wise enough explore and expand more on this skill?

Let me add she test baby in the womb by touching stomach and prescribe herbs, and food to make the baby healthy. Trust me I saw result.

And weeks before birthing, she prepared some concoction for bath to ease birth. I saw the results myself. I am the husband here dude.... I was there all through.

Disputing these things show how insincere you are

tintingz:
We have animals predicting things, we have people who are good at cold reading, we have psychologist as well, it's not new and not a thing to be taking very serious like it's kind of magical or supernatural. We have seen failed predictions by people who claim to have super-powers.

You have a problem. Comprehension issue. Where did I say what anyone do is magic or supernatural? I am only advocating for more exploration and studies of these knowledge we allow to waste. Herbs work good and fine. Investigate the chemicals that make it work. Work on preservation and improving on these local medicines.

Juju works but I see it as a crude form of science that needs to be refined and polished.

tintingz:
Yeah, it's more like a science-trick.

How can you make it pure-science? That is the talk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:45am On Aug 01, 2018
NPComplete:
@Folykaze this your story is hilarious. And very awfully suspicious.

Well, I don't have answer for your question on why Ifa didn't go straight pointing the person.

Do we need to go back and forth? Take your time and come to Ondo state Oga. I will take care of your lodge in any Hotel in Ore. We can go there and examine this act. Anything else you say won't be taken serious unless you take the challenge. Afterall it is harmless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by NPComplete: 12:47pm On Aug 01, 2018
FOLYKAZE:

Well, I don't have answer for your question on why Ifa didn't go straight pointing the person.

Do we need to go back and forth? Take your time and come to Ondo state Oga. I will take care of your lodge in any Hotel in Ore. We can go there and examine this act. Anything else you say won't be taken serious unless you take the challenge. Afterall it is harmless.

Nah. Don't worry about lodging me anywhere. I will lodge myself when the time comes. Hopefully I should be free enough to want to visit Akure before the end of the year so I will branch Ore when I am around.
But remember it must be in Ore town. If u start telling me that it is in one remote village nearby I won't follow u. I will let u know when I am ready

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by ScienceWatch: 12:58pm On Aug 01, 2018
vaxx:
if we are going to talk in a western sense....hyponotism works and it still baffled academia how it works.

In fact I will advice those who think juju is a complete hoax because it is African things to first get a degree in Ericksonian Hypnotherapy at Harvard Medical School or maybe anywhere it is offer. Before applying their objective thought into the disscussion....

I agree with you Vaxx, but hypnotism has severe limitations compared with spiritualism. The most striking limitations are that the subject must be willing to be hypnotised by the Hypnotist in at least two stages. Then the target subject must be in the same room with the hypnotist.
With spiritualism, Juju etc, the subject can be thousands of miles away and be harmed, blessed or healed.

Hypotsism is dangerous, We are not our own saviors and neither is any hypnotist, we must trust in God that he will help us and bring us good things in life. All of the self-help books, “The Secret”, psychics, card readers, hypnotists … they are providing these temporary “reliefs” that are manipulating people and opening them up to bad, evil things they never thought possible. They are not good, stay far far far away!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by vaxx: 1:04pm On Aug 01, 2018
ScienceWatch:
I agree with you Vaxx, but hypnotism has severe limitations compared with spiritualism. The most striking limitations are that the subject must be willing to be hypnotised by the Hypnotist in at least two stages. Then the target subject must be in the same room with the hypnotist.
With spiritualism, Juju etc, the subject can be thousands of miles away and be harmed, blessed or healed.
Hypotsism is dangerous, We are not our own saviors and neither is any hypnotist, we must trust in God that he will help us and bring us good things in life. All of the self-help books, “The Secret”, psychics, card readers, hypnotists … they are providing these temporary “reliefs” that are manipulating people and opening them up to bad, evil things they never thought possible. They are not good, stay far far far away!
This is true. I am only trying to bring the materialistic individual into the level he can grasp.

Thanks for the beautiful advice.

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by TOSIN116: 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Why shift the goalposts?
Dude, the train is moving one direction!
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by ScienceWatch: 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2018
FOLYKAZE:

We actually have Evangelists, Imam and even Traditionalist who denounced there spirituality for a new religion destroying Shrine across all across Africa and we can both attest that there is no report that there actions have any effect either positive or negative. Personally, I have seen an Ifa initiate who threw his Opele into the river. I have also seen cases where fetish stuff are been burnt. I have seen Law enforcement officers dragging Babalawo, with all his amulets, charm and all, out of his shrine and thrown into a waiting bus. I have seen cases where a son destroyed his father shrine because of some family issues.

From my own doing, with the company of an Oniosanyin's son, I dismantled Osanyin in an attempt to known what is talking inside it. I ate Epo Obo in my secondary school days trying to investigate if I am a witch (never knew until after that there are some chemicals in the herb that actually made me vomit). I am born and brought up in a locality where I have access to all form of traditional spiritualities and imported religion so I am in a position to tell you that, from what I have experienced, these diabolic acts are practical pre-scientific experimentation which locals blow out of proporton.

Truth must be told, there are some acts esp medication and healing have scientific explanation. My treatment for Malaria, Garri and lime water, was prescribed to me by a Babalawo in my locality. And I can confirm that the chemistry helps my health so much. My Dad in so many occasions have sat me down and instruct me on how to use some herbs. The only worries I have with him is that those herbs mixture which he probably learnt for someone is attributed to a Deity or giving some supernatural attributes.

While I have visited some Babalawo for some personal issues, some of those things they do marvels me alot. That is because I have a limited knowledge in their acts. My conclusion is that these acts are mere 'crude science', and needs to be refined so that those mythical fantasy can be removed.

Things mysterious and unexplained happens. I have seen so many and many lot to see. However, almost alll the things said about juju are bullshiitee.
Have you heard the live testimonies about a pastor that was called to a home to pray and neutralize a charm
The spirit killed the pastor. The pastors son then falsely accused the home owner of murdering his father.
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:12pm On Aug 01, 2018
NPComplete:

Nah. Don't worry about lodging me anywhere. I will lodge myself when the time comes. Hopefully I should be free enough to want to visit Akure before the end of the year so I will branch Ore when I am around.
But remember it must be in Ore town. If u start telling me that it is in one remote village nearby I won't follow u. I will let u know when I am ready

I promise we won't go beyond Ore. Looking forward to when you will be ready
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2018
ScienceWatch:
Have you heard the live testimonies about a pastor that was called to a home to pray and neutralize a charm
The spirit killed the pastor. The pastors son then falsely accused the home owner of murdering his father.

Stop listening to folktales from your village head. I be Ibile too but not like you o
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by ScienceWatch: 9:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
vaxx:
This is true. I am only trying to bring the materialistic individual into the level he can grasp.

Thanks for the beautiful advice.
Yes, I think you are good at helping them beyond materialistic logic when examining non-observable evidence.

About the hidden danger of Hypnosis, here is a summary list of complications associated with hypnosis:

•anergia and fatigue •antisocial acting out •anxiety, panic attacks •attention deficit •body/self-image distortions •comprehension/concentration loss •confusion •coping skills, impaired •decompensation, psychotic-like delusional thinking •depersonalization •depression •de-realization •dizziness •dreams •drowsiness, excessive sleep •fainting •fear of fearfulness •guilt •headache •histrionic reactions •identity crisis •insomnia •irritability •medical emergencies •memory impaired, distorted •misunderstood suggestion •nausea, vomiting •obsessive ruminations •over dependency •personality change •phobic aversion •physical discomfort, injury •psychomotor retardation •psychosis •regressed behaviors •sexual acting out •sexual dysfunction •somatization •spontaneous trance •stiffness, arm or neck •stress, lowered threshold •stupor •symptom substitution •tactile hallucinations •traumatic recall •tremors •weeping, uncontrolled

The same researcher described risk factors as most frequently involving repressed materials or unconscious needs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by ScienceWatch: 9:11pm On Aug 01, 2018
FOLYKAZE:

Stop listening to folktales from your village head. I be Ibile too but not like you o
Thanks for your advice. But I respect and treasure those "folktales."
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by tintingz(m): 12:22pm On Aug 02, 2018
FOLYKAZE:

You could see how I intentionally detail the narrative. It shows I witnessed it and incidence like that had happened not thrice but so many times. The man accurately poined out thieves.

Can you prove what he did is trick? You can come to Ondo state to do the debunk.
Hope you know what trick is? So you don't think the ifa didn't mix anything with the gun-powder to give a burning sensation?

Come to ondo, lol, ok.

We will have to look for people who are expert in amunations, they will examine the gun-powder.

I said I have not seen an attacker initiating an attack but I have seen victim of attacks. It is not important to know a gunner but I can know the person hit. Not so? The victim is a family member and another friend. Both of them are available for interrogation. You can get the job done instead of disputing facts because you are ignorant of what happen world beyond four corners of your room.
Tales upon tales, what's so magical in finding sharp objects in someone's body?

I was there when my Aunt was taken to the Hospital. I was there when she was withdrawn and transferred to traditionalist house. I saw the xray result and also the metals the Baba removed. I saw the injuries and cut on her body. I saw her dying fast in days until she was withdrawn from the hospital. If you do not experience these things, then please move out of your closet and do some findings. Things unexplainable happens. Yes they are nature manipulation but please go out there and have some experience. I do not need to tell you shocking things I saw. Once read someone experience about Itagba here on nairaland. Oga do your findings.
That hospital is unprofessional, what do you expect in hospital located in a remote or rural area.

There arrogance set in. You lack knowledge and detest knowledge not founded in modern science. What you don't understand is modernity evolve from somewhere. Spirituality begats science.. Yes. The Alchemy, a spiritual science evolve to Chemistry of today science. Geomancy, astrology, physics and earth science have their root in temples of Gods. You can dispute that all you wish.
Science is founded under philosophy, skepticism.

Before modern science, people burn some leaves just to stop rain from falling. The knowledge is well recorded and have been modernized as weather modification. The crude scientific method used by our people also works. Please do your investigation before coming out to display your ignorance. Na leaves dem dey burn, no high tech machine needed. He dey work fine.
Have you tried burning leaves to stop rain?

LOL. It is rather intelligence.

They rather call their disease, god just like some call some energy or idea god.

You haven't disputed the fact that they created a disease and use it in a biological warfare.
How does disease relate to spirituality? Hope you know diseases can be studied?

I would like to know how they created this disease.

People believe things out of ignorance.

Should we because the local midwife is not educated and use crude tools like herbs and scrubs for treatment most which she can't explain but works mean we should disregard and stop trusting her skill? Shouldn't you if wise enough explore and expand more on this skill?

Let me add she test baby in the womb by touching stomach and prescribe herbs, and food to make the baby healthy. Trust me I saw result.

And weeks before birthing, she prepared some concoction for bath to ease birth. I saw the results myself. I am the husband here dude.... I was there all through.

Disputing these things show how insincere you are.
I'm not disputing the work of herbs(not the one they start associating spirituality to it which is built on ignorance), mordern medicine started as herbs medicine.

Your premise was, you were talking about a woman with psychic or cold reading ability.

You have a problem. Comprehension issue. Where did I say what anyone do is magic or supernatural? I am only advocating for more exploration and studies of these knowledge we allow to waste. Herbs work good and fine. Investigate the chemicals that make it work. Work on preservation and improving on these local medicines.
Ok

Juju works but I see it as a crude form of science that needs to be refined and polished.

How can you make it pure-science? That is the talk
Juju is trick, false that's used in decieving ignorant people mostly in semi-rural area, remote area.

Imagine, a medical doctor telling you the gods told him you should take 2 Panadol tablet 3 times daily to cure your headache, the headache is cured and you start praising the gods or the panadol-juju power. That's how people ignorantly reason in those days even today.
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by ScienceWatch: 12:45pm On Aug 02, 2018
vaxx:
if we are going to talk in a western sense....hyponotism works and it still baffled academia how it works.

In fact I will advice those who think juju is a complete hoax because it is African things to first get a degree in Ericksonian Hypnotherapy at Harvard Medical School or maybe anywhere it is offer. Before applying their objective thought into the disscussion....

Agreed. Academia, psychiatrists, psychologists are certainly baffled by the spirit of man. Yet they market harmful practices for monetary gain.

The families of three Florida high school students who died after their principal hypnotized them have prevailed in a civil wrongful death suit against the school board.

Each family will each receive $200,000 in a legal settlement with the Sarasota County School Board. But the parents of one of the victims say the case is about raising awareness, not money, reports Vladimir Duthier of CBS News' digital network, CBSN.

brittany-palumbo.png
Brittany Palumbo FAMILY
Patricia and Michael Palumbo say their daughter, Brittany, was driven to succeed, giving up her weekends and time with friends to study. In her senior year at North Port High School, she went to her principal for guidance about college.

"George Kenney told her at the time he believed she had test anxiety and he could help her with that anxiety," said Patricia Palumbo.

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by vaxx: 12:54pm On Aug 02, 2018
ScienceWatch:
Agreed. Academia, psychiatrists, psychologists are certainly baffled by the spirit of man. Yet they market harmful practices for monetary gain.

The families of three Florida high school students who died after their principal hypnotized them have prevailed in a civil wrongful death suit against the school board.

Each family will each receive $200,000 in a legal settlement with the Sarasota County School Board. But the parents of one of the victims say the case is about raising awareness, not money, reports Vladimir Duthier of CBS News' digital network, CBSN.

brittany-palumbo.png
Brittany Palumbo FAMILY
Patricia and Michael Palumbo say their daughter, Brittany, was driven to succeed, giving up her weekends and time with friends to study. In her senior year at North Port High School, she went to her principal for guidance about college.

"George Kenney told her at the time he believed she had test anxiety and he could help her with that anxiety," said Patricia Palumbo.
in the USA

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by ScienceWatch: 5:29pm On Aug 02, 2018
vaxx:
in the USA
Yes

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by kkins25(m): 11:22pm On Aug 02, 2018
FOLYKAZE:

We actually have Evangelists, Imam and even Traditionalist who denounced there spirituality for a new religion destroying Shrine across all across Africa and we can both attest that there is no report that there actions have any effect either positive or negative. Personally, I have seen an Ifa initiate who threw his Opele into the river. I have also seen cases where fetish stuff are been burnt. I have seen Law enforcement officers dragging Babalawo, with all his amulets, charm and all, out of his shrine and thrown into a waiting bus. I have seen cases where a son destroyed his father shrine because of some family issues.

From my own doing, with the company of an Oniosanyin's son, I dismantled Osanyin in an attempt to known what is talking inside it. I ate Epo Obo in my secondary school days trying to investigate if I am a witch (never knew until after that there are some chemicals in the herb that actually made me vomit). I am born and brought up in a locality where I have access to all form of traditional spiritualities and imported religion so I am in a position to tell you that, from what I have experienced, these diabolic acts are practical pre-scientific experimentation which locals blow out of proporton.

Truth must be told, there are some acts esp medication and healing have scientific explanation. My treatment for Malaria, Garri and lime water, was prescribed to me by a Babalawo in my locality. And I can confirm that the chemistry helps my health so much. My Dad in so many occasions have sat me down and instruct me on how to use some herbs. The only worries I have with him is that those herbs mixture which he probably learnt for someone is attributed to a Deity or giving some supernatural attributes.

While I have visited some Babalawo for some personal issues, some of those things they do marvels me alot. That is because I have a limited knowledge in their acts. My conclusion is that these acts are mere 'crude science', and needs to be refined so that those mythical fantasy can be removed.

Things mysterious and unexplained happens. I have seen so many and many lot to see. However, almost alll the things said about juju are bullshiitee.
Execellent comment sir.. I am not an atheist per se but I've yearned for some explanation to the so called "mysticism ". If water is changed to wine, then there must be a scientific explanation for what actually happened.
Some religious dogma cannot stand the test of logic,eg the accession of Jesus into heaven(space). I always wonder how the hell jesus who was in the flesh, got oxygen when he ascended outside earths atmosphere. So many things don't make sense.

1 Like

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by dalaman: 12:09am On Aug 03, 2018
kkins25:

Execellent comment sir.. I am not an atheist per se but I've yearned for some explanation to the so called "mysticism ". If water is changed to wine, then there must be a scientific explanation for what actually happened.
Some religious dogma cannot stand the test of logic,eg the accession of Jesus into heaven(space). I always wonder how the hell jesus who was in the flesh, got oxygen when he ascended outside earths atmosphere. So many things don't make sense.

Jesus ascension into heaven is pure fiction. It only happens in the biblical stories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by kkins25(m): 7:34pm On Aug 03, 2018
dalaman:

Jesusso ascension into heaven is pure fiction. It only happens in the biblical stories.
verily verily, i say unto you, that whoever wrote the tales of jesus would have been a best selling sci-fi author if he were alive this day. Lol!!
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by capitalzero: 6:32am On Aug 04, 2018
magic/ juju/witchcraft/voodio is an unexplained science or crude science. Man is faced with problems and has been making efforts to solve them. In antiquity, man used various approachs- physical/science( herbs for fever, charcoal for poisoning etc), spiritual(innate, fear and ignorance of unexplained physical phenomena give rise to quest for meaning of life and sprituality) psychological/philosophy( innate)- to solve myriads of problems. Then science,magic and philosophy/psychology were being practiced by wise men who we know as occult healers/priests/babalawos. These men combined all methods above to solve problems. Note that ritual practice is part of spirituality and varies from culture to culture. Earlier scientists tried to separate spirituality from science, however they were also deeply influenced by religious practice of their times. Presently, most scholars believe that psychology could not be separated from spirituality and science especially medical science,and philosophy is basis of analysing human problems and solving them. Also, our spirituality influences our understanding of material world. In essence, humans are being influences by supernaturals or spirits. I believe strongly that spirits influence humans negatively or positively by manipulating laws of nature. Supernatural phenomena could be explained if we fully know and understand laws of nature and explore them. Let search continues.....
Re: Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic? by urahara(m): 3:54pm On Dec 08, 2018
dorox:

I am from Edo, and I can confirm to you that all the stories you have been told about Edo people and their juju powers are just stories.

If juju was real and powerful, why did the oba of Benin suffer a humiliating defeat to a handful of white men with gun?

Black people don't use their brains

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Human Nature? What Does The Bible Say About Human Nature? / Why Do People Lie Against God? / The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.