Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe (59313 Views)

Lord Lugard Footbridge Kaduna: 116 Years After (Photos, Video) / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / Meet Ibrahim Nagwamatse, Northern King That Squared Off To Lord Lugard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 06, 2018
Zik's father na big boy from time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by EngrKem: 9:16am On Aug 06, 2018
Good one
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 06, 2018
ibotic:
He was a good servant to our colonial masters....educate yourself before writing trash..
Did you mean to say High Ranking Civil Servant?
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Strikethem: 9:17am On Aug 06, 2018
[s]
Chicagoesontop:
I keep saying it, Igbos has been there right from the onset waxing strong, but now what we got for our contribution in this country , is to be labeled terrorists, thieves and all sorts of bad names ...

I will keep saying it again and again, until this respect and status is restored back to the Igbos, this Nigeria will never work .. I happen to know Never say Never, but it this case i said NIGERIA WILL NEVER WORK WITHOUT THE IGBOS .. Mark my words .
[/s]
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by python2gbera: 9:18am On Aug 06, 2018
Pure Lies!

Throughout the history of colonialism, No black man was allowed to draft the treaties of the white colonialists. Zik, in this case, was only used by his slave masters to translate and appeal his fellow locals.
The Zik families sold Igbos into eternal slavery..

-python2

7 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 06, 2018
humilitypays:
My only problem with whoever that will win Buhari and emerge as Nigeria's president come 2019 is if that next president fails to probe and jail Buhari and his evil cohorts.

The next president that will take over from Buhari must be mean like Buhari. Our next president must not listen to any court or plea from anybody, he must damn any advice and probe Buhari and his family and friends. He must take back all Nigeria's money and commonwealth Buhari, his family, friends and allies stole or looted now while in power.

Any illegally acquired wealth, property, car, cow, cattle, farmland, etc must be taken back from Aisha Buhari, Yusuf Buhari, Mamman Daura, Abba Kyari, Rotimi Amaechi, Lai Mohammed, Adams Oshiomhole, Onu, Chris Ngige, and many others.

All the current people ccupying the following positions currently must be probed and jailed without listening to any court order as soon as Buhari leaves the presidency, and their names are:

1.) Head of DSS

2.) IGP

3.) EFCC Chairman

4.) Vice President

5.) COAS

6.) Minister of Information

7.) NNPC GMD

8.) Minister of Finance

Whoever that's going to emerge as next Nigeria's president can only make Nigerians proud and satisfied if he jails the aforementioned office holders now!

If not, he will face fire more than Buhari will angry

Meanwhile

lol keep on dreaming n wishing till 2023.....

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 06, 2018
python2gbera:
Pure Lies!

Throughout the history of colonialism, No black man was allowed to drafted the treaties of the white colonialist. Zik, in this case, was only used by his slave masters to translate and appeal his fellow locals.

-python2

Zik's father seated like Boss. He wasn't even intimidated by the presence of Lord Lugard. Lord Lugard also didn't see anything new in this man seating by his side.

If you call him a servant, make that High Ranking Civil Servant like a Secretary to the Government of the country.

No wonder the son was bold as a lion.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by adontcare(f): 9:23am On Aug 06, 2018
cry
Chicagoesontop:
I keep saying it, Igbos has been there right from the onset waxing strong, but now what we got for our contribution in this country , is to be labeled terrorists, thieves and all sorts of bad names ...

I will keep saying it again and again, until this respect and status is restored back to the Igbos, this Nigeria will never work .. I happen to know Never say Never, but it this case i said NIGERIA WILL NEVER WORK WITHOUT THE IGBOS .. Mark my words .
stop saying this. It is ur fellow Igbo leaders cos of greed and selfish reasons dat remove d Igbo from taking dia rightful position

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Strikethem: 9:23am On Aug 06, 2018
SolutionMee:

Who and who is uniting

You Yoruba's that can't even be trusted even by your own people

The person you quoted was saying the obvious truth

Nigeria can't work without the Igbos

If you want to prove me wrong

Then give them Biafra
Go and take the biafra under his cupboard where he kept it. Brain is far from you. Prove to us by developing your land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Strikethem: 9:27am On Aug 06, 2018
humilitypays:
Tell them! Ever since Igbos got relegated to the background when it comes to Nigeria's politics and economy, Nigeria has remained in darkness and backward.

Igbos are light, if u want light in Nigeria, make Igbos stand in the front and let the dark north be at the back so the Igbo light can illuminate the area and show them the way to follow, if not, Nigeria won't move forward, its not a curse but a fact known to even whiteman cool
Prove the rest from your region first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 9:28am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:

I hope you know Lord Lugard as Governor of Nigeria was the Queen's official representative? Gosh. Please go read more books.

This blog below will tell you that there were imperial agents apart from the Governor providing these pre formatted treaties. There is even an example of a treaty with the Itshekiri chiefs. See below. Once I read this your article I immediately knew it was filled with a lot of lies. The British will never leave their treaties to be drafted by a Nigerian or for a Governor to decide the British empires interests. All those are preformatted from the UK. The Governor himself is even just an errand boy in Nigeria and has no right to enter into unapproved agreements. Some of us also had ancestors that worked with the British at the time Azikiwe’s father did. Also, Lord Lugard was Governor of Nigeria from 1914-1919. 5yrs. A lot of the traditional treaties were signed by then. He mainly enforced it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/afrolegends.com/2016/12/14/colonial-treaties-in-africa-british-protection-treaty-with-the-itsekiri-of-nigeria-1884/amp/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 06, 2018
ibotic:
He was a good servant to our colonial masters....educate yourself before writing trash..
so servants sits beside the master and other dignitaries?

Educate your ibotic sense to igbotic
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by maestroferddi: 9:32am On Aug 06, 2018
It was today that Igbos have been working to uplift the state/plight of Nigerians.

When will they be accorded their due respect?

3 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by AWOLOWO10: 9:38am On Aug 06, 2018
then leave us to go
potoX:
Respect and status are earned and are not your right. You threw away that privilege when your soldiers went about murdering others in the dead of the night. Nigeria will work IN SPITE OF YOU

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 06, 2018
baby124:

This blog below will tell you that there were imperial agents apart from the Governor providing these pre formatted treaties. There is even an example of a treaty with the Itshekiri chiefs. See below. Once I read this your article I immediately knew it was filled with a lot of lies. The British will never leave their treaties to be drafted by a Nigerian or for a Governor to decide the British empires interests. All those are preformatted from the UK. The Governor himself is even just an errand boy in Nigeria and has no right to enter into unapproved agreements. Some of us also had ancestors that worked with the British at the time Azikiwe’s father did. Also, Lord Lugard was Governor of Nigeria from 1914-1919. 5yrs. A lot of the traditional treaties were signed by then. He mainly enforced it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/afrolegends.com/2016/12/14/colonial-treaties-in-africa-british-protection-treaty-with-the-itsekiri-of-nigeria-1884/amp/

Anybody with access to google can see the lies in whatever you just wrote. So, I won't dignify it with a response.

And I refuse to disgrace you further by picking obvious lies and half truth's in what you typed up here. That'll be wicked of me. smiley

Have a nice day.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by python2gbera: 9:40am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:

Zik's father seated like Boss. He wasn't even intimidated by the presence of Lord Lugard. Lord Lugard also didn't see anything new in this man seating by his side.

If you call him a servant, make that High Ranking Civil Servant like a Secretary to the Government of the country.

No wonder the son was bold as a lion.
How does seating beside his slave masters erase the fact of his being used as a slave agent?.. The fact remains that he worked with Lugard to erode distinctive ethnic administrative systems for a British artificial creation called Nigeria. An act for which every Igbo folks must take responsibility.

-python2

4 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by potoX: 9:42am On Aug 06, 2018
AWOLOWO10:
then leave us to go
we hold you before?

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 9:43am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:

Anybody with access to google can see the lies in whatever you just wrote. So, I won't dignify it with a response.

And I refuse to disgrace you further by picking obvious lies and 'half truth's in what you typed up here. That'll be wicked of me. smiley

Have a nice day.
There are no lies in my post. You are the liar here. You inflated and lied about this Igbo man’s achievement’s for tribal purposes. I am sure you have seen an example of the pre formatted treaty or do you want me to paste the picture here? What you wrote is all lies and even the name of the author of the article is highly suspicious. No typical Yoruba man goes by the name Omoluabi. Omoluabi is not a real Yoruba name but a word of praise. You have been busted.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 06, 2018
python2gbera:
How does seating beside his slave masters erase the fact of his being used as a slave agent?.. The fact remains that he worked with Lugard to erode distinctive ethic administrative systems for a British artificial creation called Nigeria. An act for which every Igbo folks must take responsibility.

-python2
Stop hating.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 06, 2018
Basic123:
Azikwe father supervised yIGBO slavery to Britain while azikwe sold the whole race to tafawa balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

It's quite unfortunate that their children of now are days out of frustration,hate and jealousy will blame Awolowo,TINUBU and YORUBAS for their predicament and slavery to hausa fulanis

That's a Yoruba's brain of compression.... @least he admitted one thing OUR OREDICAMENT AND SLAVERY IN NIGERIA
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 06, 2018
baby124:

There are no lies in my post. You are the liar here. You inflated and lied about this Igbo man’s achievement’s for tribal purposes. I am sure you have seen an example of the pre formatted treaty or do you want me to paste the picture here? What you wrote is all lies and even the name of the author of the article is highly suspicious. No typical Yoruba man goes by the name Omoluabi. Omoluabi is not a real Yoruba name but a word of praise. You have been busted.

Hahahaha. Whatever makes you chill, Bro. Haters gonna hate for sure. Take one more look at that photo.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 06, 2018
haqueurate:
more evidence that zik and his father "sold" nigeria to lord luggard
I hope ipob can now see who sold nigeria to the north

An Igbo man joins something when he sees that it will work.....and when its not working he has right to option out.....that's a prove that we all believed in ONE NIGERIA but as the part of brain that sense's negativity is lacking in yours....we are sensing huge negativity in NIGERIA and we want out

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 9:48am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:

Hahahaha. Whatever makes you chill, Bro. Haters gonna hate for sure. Take one more look at that photo.
Do you want me to post many pre colonial photos with people seating by Lugard? All those guys are his trusted translators from different tribes. I am very sure of that. You can’t even point out who Obed Azikiwe was in that picture. You just posted it. At the time you are claiming they did wonders for Nigeria, Nigerian political class were active and vocal. They even had newspapers. So this picture is not that rare to find my dear. It may be a big deal for you, but families across Nigeria do have such pictures in their archives.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by aribisala0(m): 9:49am On Aug 06, 2018
Somebody just wakes up one day and starts claiming so and so nonentity drafted treaties and we are supposed to swallow those Ebola lies?
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 06, 2018
WHO EVER GOT THIS HISTORY CUT IT SHORT.....WHY DIDNT HE MENTION THAT THE AMALGAMATION TREATY WHICH THE ELDERS SIGNED WAS ACTUALLY A HUNDRED(100)YEARS TREATY and has expired
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by crafteck(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2018
Chicagoesontop:

Tribal bigot.. What have you personally done for the igbo nation, stop making everything about tribe, we fought for independence when we weren't matured enough.. See the result...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 06, 2018
baby124:

Do you want me to post many pre colonial photos with people seating by Lugard? All those guys are his trusted translators from different tribes. I am very sure of that. You can’t even point out who Obed Azikiwe was in that picture. You just posted it. At the time you are claiming they did wonders for Nigeria, Nigerian political class were active and vocal. They even had newspapers. So this picture is not that rare to find my dear. It may be a big deal for you, but families across Nigeria do have such pictures in their archives.
So, the white other white man seated is also an interpreter!? cheesy
Please do post the throwback photos you have or ones you can see on other sites. I love history. Many Nairalanders love history. Many Nairaland guest readers love history.

Kindly help us with photos you can post. Just don't distort the facts. smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Samirana360(m): 9:55am On Aug 06, 2018
Tolexander:
That man sitting to the right of Lord Lugard is a white man. Perhaps you meant the man sitting to his left.

Lord Lugard is the white man in black with heavy handlebar mustache.
u don't know lord lugard
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 06, 2018
The great Zik is not even respected in Igbo land. Some crazy Ipob even set his home ablaze in Onitsha.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 9:59am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:

So, the white other white man seated is also an interpreter!? cheesy
Please do post the throwback photos you have or ones you can see on other sites. I love history. Many Nairalanders love history. Many guests love history.

Kindly help us with photos you can post. Just don't tell lies about it.
That picture is even a lie!!! You stole the picture from this YouTube video! Chai! You can lie oooo!!!! Jesus! It’s good to research and think o!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs6Kt0lJY14

4 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by mandax: 10:01am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:
The gentleman sitting to the right of Lord Frederick Lugard in this picture (see below) is Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe.

He’s the father of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, the last Governor-General and first President of Nigeria.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe was a very influential member of Lugard’s administration.

You can see from the photo how highly Lugard regarded him.

More About Zik’s Father
Obed Edom Azikiwe was Lord Lugard’s private secretary.

Sadly, he passed on in 1958, two years before Nigeria’s independence, at the age of 78.

Undoubtedly, he would have loved to see his son Zik sworn in as Nigeria’s first Head of State. But fate had a different plan.

Peace Through Negotiations
It was Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe that drafted – and humanised in accordance with his abillity – all the treaties Lugard signed with our traditional rulers.

He it was that drafted treaty Lugard signed with the Obong of Calabar, the Sultan of Sokoto, the Oba of Benin, the Alaafin of Oyo that came before Lugard amalgamated Nigeria.

Historians have suggested that Azikiwe softened the harshness of many of these treaties.

By so doing, he is said to have prevented bloody wars between the British and Nigerian groups by not only softening the harshness of the protectorate agreements, but also persuading both Lugard and powerful Nigerian traditional rulers to come to agreement.

Speaking on the issue, a history expert, Omoluabi Olayomi Koiki, suggested that these traditional rulers must have been happy to sign once Mr Azikiwe presented the agreements to them. They seemed to have a lot of trust in Mr Azikiwe.

The only traditional ruler who flagrantly refused to sign any treaty unless the phrase “protection” was explained to him was Mazi Jubo Juboha, also known as Jaja of Opobo.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe was based in Lugard’s head office at Zungeru. Zungeru was Nigeria’s amalgamation capital.

Zungeru was then what Abuja is to Nigeria today.

And Lugard’s office was the colonial version of Aso Rock.

The senior Azikiwe’s job can be summarised as negotiating to prevent or reduce violence between colonial Britain and Nigerian kingdoms.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe should be thanked and honoured for his work in preventing or ending wars between the colonial masters and powerful Nigerian kingdoms.

He was a master negotiator who seemed to have the trust of both Lord Lugard and our powerful traditional rulers.

And he used that influence to bring about peace. Had he not been there, you can imagine…

He didn’t succeed in all his efforts. And his son the Zik of Africa used a very different approach that together with the efforts of our founding fathers and.the Zikist Movement persuaded the British to grant Nigeria independence. But clearly, he was a father of Nigeria in his own time.

More at http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2018/08/06/8044/

Abegi - the name Zik is CANCER to the Igbo. Igbos have been looking for Zik-disease-cure pill since 1914.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Christistruth00: 10:01am On Aug 06, 2018
Okoroawusa:
This story is a big bull!.Zik's father was never Lord Lugard's secretary.

Why are people twisting facts with fiction?.The picture above is not that of Zik's father.The Op just wants to start a tribal e-war here!

AVOID THIS THREAD!!!

Mynd44,please do something!

Azikiwe’s father was the Station Master at Zungeru ,he worked for the railways,I have been wondering about this story. His father used his retirement money to send Zik to America in 1925 .

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Amaechi Said About Wike's Ministerial Nomination 4years Ago..!!! / Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To The Declaration Of Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB As Terrorists / Atiku Abubakar In Kogi For Presidential Campaign Rally (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.