Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe (59311 Views)

Lord Lugard Footbridge Kaduna: 116 Years After (Photos, Video) / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / Meet Ibrahim Nagwamatse, Northern King That Squared Off To Lord Lugard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2018
hernandson:
the problem is you don't see Nigerians as one, you believe you have this and that, there is no tribe in Nigeria that doesn't have there backslide, but you don't see us trying to divide the nation. civil war brought a lot of under development to Nigeria, so don't start one again

is ur brain 1991 Pentium 1
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2018
wickyyolo:

Igbos like acting smart, that is why God can't give Presidency.

check well, igbos aren't interested n aren't crazed about presidency like Yorubas n Hausa. For 48 years now, The average Igbo man does not see himself as as Nigerian.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 06, 2018
Basic123:
Azikwe father supervised yIGBO slavery to Britain while azikwe sold the whole race to tafawa balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

It's quite unfortunate that their children of now are days out of frustration,hate and jealousy will blame Awolowo,TINUBU and YORUBAS for their predicament and slavery to hausa fulanis

I guess there was no well educated n sophisticated AFJs to save Nigeria from Snr Zik n White people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 06, 2018
haqueurate:
more evidence that zik and his father "sold" nigeria to lord luggard
I hope ipob can now see who sold nigeria to the north

Awusa has just one slave in Nigeria, and they aren't Igbo.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 06, 2018
Chicagoesontop:
I keep saying it, Igbos has been there right from the onset waxing strong, but now what we got for our contribution in this country , is to be labeled terrorists, thieves and all sorts of bad names ...

I will keep saying it again and again, until this respect and status is restored back to the Igbos, this Nigeria will never work .. I happen to know Never say Never, but it this case i said NIGERIA WILL NEVER WORK WITHOUT THE IGBOS .. Mark my words .

So why do u think Yoruba n Hausa rwfused an Igbo exit?
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by nku5: 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2018
Interesting piece of history here.

Zik Senior served under Lugard when Nigeria's administrative capital was Zungeru. Same town where Zik was born. I have been to the site where Lugard's office was. The building is totally rotten, just the carcass remains and it is overrun with weeds. I doubt if it still standing till now.

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by hernandson(m): 2:49pm On Aug 06, 2018
PrecisionFx:

is ur brain 1991 Pentium 1
it takes one to know one, am listening
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by BabaRamota1980: 3:14pm On Aug 06, 2018
Vainglory:
Even at my age I never knew that Zik's father was also very influential. Our educationists need to do something about learning our history in our schools.Thanks for this write-up.

Yeah they need to teach this deceit to people your age in villages across SE and keep it contained over there.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 06, 2018
nku5:
Interesting piece of history here.

Zik Senior served under Lugard when Nigeria's administrative capital was Zungeru. Same town where Zik was born. I have been to the site where Lugard's office was. The building is totally rotten, just the carcass remains and it is overrun with weeds. I doubt if it still standing till now.
Nice info. That building once contained those that decide what must be in Nigeria. History should be reintroduced in Nigeria's curriculum. Proper history.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by BluntBoy(m): 5:40pm On Aug 06, 2018
bestviewer:
This is an evidence that Anambra people were the first to had Western education and were equally the first to interacted with the white men way ahead of rest of Nigeria.

GOD BLESS Zik Senior

GOD BLESS Zik Junior

GOD BLESS the United State of Anambra, the light of the entire black race.

Laugh wan kill me. Wetin you dey talk?

Samuel Ajayi Crowther was already a linguist and a Bishop long before Lugard even got commissioned as a soldier.

Better go and study your history books instead of drawing evidences from a single photo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 06, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
If there's anything I detest foremost in Ibo's arrogance it is the embelishment and untruthful accounts of history.

Governor Carter had treaty with Alaafin Oyo, not Lugard.

Azikiwe may have drafted other treaties, I dont know....but Im certain he did not draft one signed with Oyo.

In view of the falsehood in your story, your account of Obed Azikiwe's role as secretary and drafter for treaties ought to be scrutinized.

Consult the nearest civil servant to learn more.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by bestviewer: 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2018
Go and read up about Olaudah Equiano, he is equally from Anambra. He was the first slave buy back his freedom and was equally the first black to acquire Western education.

BluntBoy:

Laugh wan kill me. Wetin you dey talk?

Samuel Ajayi Crowther was already a linguist and a Bishop long before Lugard even got commissioned as a soldier.

Better go and study your history books instead of drawing evidences from a single photo.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by BluntBoy(m): 5:54pm On Aug 06, 2018
bestviewer:
Go and read up about Olaudah Equiano, he is equally from Anambra. He was the first slave buy back his freedom and was equally the first black to acquire Western education.

I don't need to read any story.

You said the photo in the OP is an evidence that Anambra people were the first to get western education and I told you that long before that picture was taken, Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba man) was already a linguist and Bishop.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by bestviewer: 6:04pm On Aug 06, 2018
Is Crowder ahead of Equiano? Lol

BluntBoy:

I don't need to read any story.

You said the photo in the OP is an evidence that Anambra people were the first to get western education and I told you that long before that picture was taken, Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba man) was already a linguist and Bishop.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Taciturn1: 7:04pm On Aug 06, 2018
humilitypays:
Tell them! Ever since Igbos got relegated to the background when it comes to Nigeria's politics and economy, Nigeria has remained in darkness and backward.

Igbos are light, if u want light in Nigeria, make Igbos stand in the front and let the dark north be at the back so the Igbo light can illuminate the area and show them the way to follow, if not, Nigeria won't move forward, its not a curse but a fact known to even whiteman cool
Warped thinking

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by BluntBoy(m): 7:05pm On Aug 06, 2018
bestviewer:
Is Crowder ahead of Equiano? Lol

OK, explain what you meant when you said the photo in the OP is an evidence that people of Anambra were the first to get western education?
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Banmeallday: 7:31pm On Aug 06, 2018
Zik and his father helped to create the slavery we are facing....Maybe they were members then of secret societies

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 07, 2018
Up Nigeria.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Sleekkilla(m): 7:28am On Aug 07, 2018
igbodefender:
The gentleman sitting to the right of Lord Frederick Lugard in this picture (see below) is Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe.

He’s the father of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, the last Governor-General and first President of Nigeria.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe was a very influential member of Lugard’s administration.

You can see from the photo how highly Lugard regarded him.

More About Zik’s Father
Obed Edom Azikiwe was Lord Lugard’s private secretary.

Sadly, he passed on in 1958, two years before Nigeria’s independence, at the age of 78.

Undoubtedly, he would have loved to see his son Zik sworn in as Nigeria’s first Head of State. But fate had a different plan.

Peace Through Negotiations
It was Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe that drafted – and humanised in accordance with his abillity – all the treaties Lugard signed with our traditional rulers.

He it was that drafted treaty Lugard signed with the Obong of Calabar, the Sultan of Sokoto, the Oba of Benin, the Alaafin of Oyo that came before Lugard amalgamated Nigeria.

Historians have suggested that Azikiwe softened the harshness of many of these treaties.

By so doing, he is said to have prevented bloody wars between the British and Nigerian groups by not only softening the harshness of the protectorate agreements, but also persuading both Lugard and powerful Nigerian traditional rulers to come to agreement.

Speaking on the issue, a history expert, Omoluabi Olayomi Koiki, suggested that these traditional rulers must have been happy to sign once Mr Azikiwe presented the agreements to them. They seemed to have a lot of trust in Mr Azikiwe.

The only traditional ruler who flagrantly refused to sign any treaty unless the phrase “protection” was explained to him was Mazi Jubo Juboha, also known as Jaja of Opobo.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe was based in Lugard’s head office at Zungeru. Zungeru was Nigeria’s amalgamation capital.

Zungeru was then what Abuja is to Nigeria today.

And Lugard’s office was the colonial version of Aso Rock.

The senior Azikiwe’s job can be summarised as negotiating to prevent or reduce violence between colonial Britain and Nigerian kingdoms.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe should be thanked and honoured for his work in preventing or ending wars between the colonial masters and powerful Nigerian kingdoms.

He was a master negotiator who seemed to have the trust of both Lord Lugard and our powerful traditional rulers.

And he used that influence to bring about peace. Had he not been there, you can imagine…

He didn’t succeed in all his efforts. And his son the Zik of Africa used a very different approach that together with the efforts of our founding fathers and.the Zikist Movement persuaded the British to grant Nigeria independence. But clearly, he was a father of Nigeria in his own time.

More at http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2018/08/06/8044/

Knowing this, you Igbos keep foaming in the mouth that Nigeria was brought together without your consent. You are responsible for every problem in Nigeria but are always first to play the victim. Tueh!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by RedboneSmith(m): 7:32am On Aug 07, 2018
Unfortunately almost everything here is a lie. Azikiwe Snr was never Lugard's personal secretary. That is something Zik would have mentioned in his autobiography. There was no indication in everything Zik wrote about his dad that he ever rose above middle rank in the Colonial Civil Service. He was just a clerk. He was not involved in treaty-signing with the chiefs/kings either. Most of the treaties were even signed before his time.

And yes. Nobody in that picture is Lugard. Lugard was very smallish, balding and had a bloody huge moustache that you could see from Mars. You picked this picture off the Internet and just assigned Obed Edom and Lugard to it. Fortunately for you, the picture is not annotated online or you would have been outed pretty quickly.

This your lying is not making Igbos look good; you are only disgracing them. You should change your name to Igbo disgracer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by RedboneSmith(m): 7:48am On Aug 07, 2018
Christistruth00:

Azikiwe’s father was the Station Master at Zungeru ,he worked for the railways,I have been wondering about this story. His father used his retirement money to send Zik to America in 1925 .

Which retirement money? Zik had little help from his family when he wanted to go to America. The guy worked his ass off to pay for his fare. He took a boat to Ghana (then the Gold Coast) and worked there to raise enough money for his passage to America.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Christistruth00: 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Which retirement money? Zik had little help from his family when he wanted to go to America. The guy worked his ass off to pay for his fare. He took a boat to Ghana (then the Gold Coast) and worked there to raise enough money for his passage to America.

When he stowed away to Ghana he ran out of money and even joined the colonial Police force,he then wrote his parents in Nigeria,his father sent his mother to Ghana to tell him that if he could wait for a few months till his fathers retirement he would give him money to travel to America and that was what happened. He had £300 on him when he went to America. He started working afterwards.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by oyatz(m): 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2019
But Igbos are everywhere in Nigeria and Nigeria is not yet working.

Chicagoesontop:
I keep saying it, Igbos has been there right from the onset waxing strong, but now what we got for our contribution in this country , is to be labeled terrorists, thieves and all sorts of bad names ...

I will keep saying it again and again, until this respect and status is restored back to the Igbos, this Nigeria will never work .. I happen to know Never say Never, but it this case i said NIGERIA WILL NEVER WORK WITHOUT THE IGBOS .. Mark my words .

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by oyatz(m): 11:10pm On Apr 25, 2019
You can start one History channel sir. We will all appreciate your efforts and you will make a great deal of money.

Twistsss:
Nigeria needs a National History channel. There are so many things about the past the masses need education on.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Collyno82(m): 5:15am On May 10, 2019
ibotic:
He was a good servant to our colonial masters....educate yourself before writing trash..
He was a good servant, when your grand father was a good slave to our colonial masters

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Josefudoh(m): 10:37am On May 10, 2019
The ibo man who sold the southern protectorate to the white man and his son Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe followed his step the south had a chance to breakaway just before independence he refused he was going about shouting one nigeria like father like son trusting ibo man with issues like this too risky

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by blackprowler: 9:39pm On May 11, 2019
hernandson:
the problem is you don't see Nigerians as one, you believe you have this and that, there is no tribe in Nigeria that doesn't have there backslide, but you don't see us trying to divide the nation. civil war brought a lot of under development to Nigeria, so don't start one again

My brother thank you o. I don't belong to any of the 3 ethnic groups (North is not even an ethnic group) that think they own Nigeria and everything in Nigeria should revolve around them. I've often stated that Igbo DESTROYED Nigeria. Starting from Jan 15 1966, Igbo destroyed Nigeria. Nigeria did not know armed robbery before the civil war. After it, with hundreds of thousands of people trained in the use of a firearm, armed robbery became a profession. The government had to make it a death sentence crime for this reason. The soldiers who became accustomed to blood from the events of Jan to July 1966 and then throughout the war would go on to do dastardly things to this country till 1999 when they relinquished power. Not ONCE has any Igbo come out to apologize to this country for what they did to her. They worship the man that caused the death of 1 million of them to vent anger that 30,000 or so were killed in revenge for what IGBO STARTED. When it comes to Nigeria politics, I have a suffocating HATRED for Ibo.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by DomPerignon: 1:25pm On Dec 02, 2023
And they will be insulting Lugard over 1914 almagation but here are the fools praising the house negro who happens to be Ibo as a hero.

How can you condemn Lugard and 1914 but still go on to praise Obed-Edom Azikiwe?

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by RedboneSmith(m): 2:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
DomPerignon:
And they will be insulting Lugard over 1914 almagation but here are the fools praising the house negro who happens to be Ibo as a hero.

How can you condemn Lugard and 1914 but still go on to praise Obed-Edom Azikiwe?

You have to be a mouth breather to believe a word of this post.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by DomPerignon: 2:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
RedboneSmith:

You have to be a mouth breather to believe a word of this post.

See goal post changing.

Your fellow Ibo created this topic glorifying Azikiwe Snr as the architect of one Nigeria and you are here attacking me.

Your lies always catch-up with you people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"No Attacks On Mosques" - Abu Al-Barnawi, New Boko Haram Leader / Sirika To Tinubu: President-elect Bola Tinubu, Write Your Acceptance Speech Now / What Amaechi Said About Wike's Ministerial Nomination 4years Ago..!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.