Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Prisoner Of Love: The Story - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prisoner Of Love: The Story (67257 Views)

The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 10:36pm On Sep 21, 2018
babajeje123:
At op, please and please more updates. E Jor sir.

ifiokjohn:
I am grateful to God that tommy finally ended it.

Now tommy onto shade for us please. Op am still here o, abeg give us 4 more update for today ahead of tomorrow..

You have it!

1 Like

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 10:37pm On Sep 21, 2018
Ifiokjohn asked for tomorrow's updates...

Tomorrow's Updates Loading...
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 11:01pm On Sep 21, 2018
Episode 30 (Chapter 26)

TOMIWA HAD ENDED HIS relationship with Rachael but deep inside him, the affection for Rachael was still extraordinarily strong. Nevertheless, he couldn’t continue to hang on such a slim hope; he had to move on with his life. Needless to say, the decision brought him more pain but he was sure he would one day overcome it.

Tomiwa was Mrs Jackson’s favorite and as much as she didn’t want to impose her choice on Rachael, she was prepared to help in whatever way she could. She knew better than impose her choice of a marriage mate on her daughters, not in this time and age and not when a sensitive matter such as this was involved. No, she wouldn’t dare! So, when Rachael turned to her to help talk to Tomiwa she was very happy to wade in.

“Hello Tomiwa, my son …” She spoke up when Tomiwa eventually picked up the call after several attempts.

“Hello, mummy, sorry ma … I was having my bath when you called earlier.”

“Oh, that’s alright my dear. I was initially thinking you didn’t want to pick my call.”

“Ah, mummy, why would I do that? I dare not ma.”

“Perhaps you are angry with me and the entire family because of Rachael’s behaviour.”

“Ah-ah, mummy! Why should I? I know you have nothing to do with it and more so, Rachael is entitled to her decision. True, it is not easy for me considering how much I have come to love her but that doesn’t mean I have to blame you for that.”

“I am delighted to hear that my dear.… Hmmm… Rachael told me that you broke up with her.”

“Yes, mummy. I felt like I couldn’t continue with her condition anymore. Moreover, Rachael seemed to have ended the relationship in her mind already.”

“I understand you quite well my son. But I know Rachael still loves you very much. I see it in her eyes. She is only confused and I know with time she will make the right decision. All I am asking you is to please give her more time.”

There was a long pause as Tomiwa remained silent. He was deep in thought.

“Hello, my son … Hello … are you still there?”

“Hello … I am still with you ma. I heard you, mummy … I just don’t know.… Rachael is putting me in a very difficult situation and she treats me as a piece of garbage.”

“Not anymore my dear … not anymore. With what I have seen since you told her you weren’t interested again. I am hopeful she will change. Please for my sake hold on your decision for some time. Just give her a little more time.”

Tomiwa respected Mrs Jackson a lot and took any advice from her as coming from his own mother. He gave a quick thought to it and he acceded to her plea.

“It’s okay, mummy. I have heard you ma. I will give her more time. I only hope that Rachael changes like you said ma.”

“Thank you, my son. May the Almighty God honour you the way you honoured me today …” And she prayed a great deal for him.

Mrs Jackson reported back to Rachael and she was very happy to hear that her mother had succeeded in persuading Tomiwa. With that Rachael changed positively and things began to be hopeful for the two of them again but not for long again! Within a week or so, Rachael changed course again. This became the trend. It became a case of one step forward and several steps backwards. It became apparent within the period that Rachael still loved Tomiwa but she was indecisive and continued to limp on two opinions. The suddenness with which she relapsed each time became a course for concern. It was as if she was being hypnotized by Bayo and for each setback, Tomiwa suffered severe bouts of anguish and pain.

Having to contend with such sharp mood swings, coupled with Mrs Jackson’s persistent interventions and assurances as well as the beams of hope that followed each time Rachael made a comeback, made the situation very complicated for him to know how best to handle it. The more he thought about it, the more puzzled he became and the more pains he felt with the completion of each cycle.

Tomiwa was close to losing his mind and he wondered what was wrong with him. Why was he finding it difficult to let go of Rachael once and for all and move on with his life? Why must he allow his life to become a cocktail of anxiety, anguish, agony, and misery? Had he become such a weakling that he allowed a lady to turn his life upside down to the extent that it became like a boat without direction that is blown hither and thither by the waves of the sea?

No, he wasn’t a weakling … he was only a victim of love who had to witness the enormity of the strength at love’s disposal! He had loved Rachael with ALL his heart that he had none left for himself. In a way, he had handed the whole of it to her and failed to keep a little for himself and when it was broken he had none left from which to draw the strength to carry on. Perhaps, that was a costly mistake on his part; he had failed to heed Lanre’s warning never to trust a lady absolutely. Perhaps not … maybe the arrows Cupid shot at him simply went too deep into his heart that it did more damage than good!

Nature came knocking on the walls of his belly and he became hungry. He wanted to ignore this call of nature but it was insistent; it seemed that the enzymes in his belly had gone on rampage. He walked down to the kitchen and prepared a meal. Maybe fried egg and bread would do. It looked delicious and the aroma was inviting by the time he finished preparing it. But a meal looking yummy and having the appetite to eat it were two different things.

After the first two morsels, his appetite failed him like it had always done. He pushed the food aside and leaned back on the chair thinking about his life. While at it, he dosed off. He woke up suddenly; something woke him up. No, it wasn’t the hunger but pain. Oh, no! It was starting again!

“Oh, no, no, no … not again!” He heard himself talking to himself as he held his stomach with a painful grimace. Over time, he had learned to manage it whenever it surfaced. He tightened the muscles of his stomach and breathed slowly and gradually the pain subsided until it eventually disappeared. He sat at the edge of the chair shivering with his hands tucked between his thighs. He was catching cold. He thought of taking some pills but he knew exactly what his problem was. He knew it wasn’t physical; it was emotional. Hence, with shaky hands he poured his emotions onto paper—he wrote a poem and called it …

THE PRISONER OF LOVE

My eyes are pale; my frame is weak
I look famished.
People see me and scream;
They wonder what is happening to me.
My love is slipping off my fingers.
Oh, no! It cannot be …
I am a Prisoner of Love!

My eyes have known no sleep.
My heart is as heavy as the rock of Gibraltar.
My mind has lost focus.
And my inner strength has departed me.
My love is about leaving me …
I am a Prisoner of Love!

Words cannot describe the sorrow in my belly
And the agony in my heart cannot be fathomed.
I am but a shadow of myself; empty as a vacuum.
My true self has disappeared.
My definition of True Love is on the verge of escaping my grip…
I am a Prisoner of Love!

This is a turbulent time for me.
I have borne this pain long enough;
I am losing my breath under the yoke of this sorrow.
I feel like letting go
But a part of me strongly feels like hanging on.
This is the moment of great decision …
I am a Prisoner of Love!

The chains in my hands are so strong
And the fetters on my ankles seem unbreakable.
Who will free me from this prison of love?
Who will hear the outcry of this poor …
PRISONER OF LOVE?

He finished pouring out his sorrow into the poem and went to lay in his bed. He was truly a prisoner of love! His apartment was his solitary confinement as the pain of his heart confined him to his room and mostly his bed whenever he didn’t have to go to work. He preferred it that way because when he walked the streets and a convoy of well-decorated wedding cars drove past him he cringed in pain. Phrases like ‘About to Wed’, ‘Just Married’, ‘The Groom’, and ‘The Bride’ usually attached to such cars were his unrelenting horror. He also developed a phobia for fair ladies that whenever he saw them on the road, the intestines in his belly tied themselves into a knot as such sights were constant reminders of Rachael and the pain he bore in his heart. And they were too many of them to be seen on a daily basis. Why did God have to create so many fair ladies in this part of the world? As he laid in his bed the Biblical words of Isaiah 40: 8 came to his mind, ‘The green grass has dried up, the blossom has withered …’ He reflected on how perfectly those words described his life at the moment!

As tortuous as thinking of Rachael was, he found himself usually longing to be with her. Therefore, from time to time he made efforts aimed at reconciliation but each time the response was always the same—the suspension was still on and she needed time! However, he wasn’t going to give up! He picked up his phone and dialled Rachael’s number.

“Hello, Rachael.”

“Hello Tomiwa, hope you’re good?”

“Well, I don’t know how to answer that question. The truth is that I am not fine … Rachael, please … I beg you. I want you back fully in my life…. Please what do I need to do to make you love me again?” He begged profusely.

Rachael rolled her eyes on the other side of the phone. She responded, “Tommy, are you asking me? Well, I do not know the answer to that JAMB question of yours. Just let me be and in due time after my head is clear enough I will get back to you…. And if you don’t mind, I have to go. I have food on fire that I have to attend to.” She ended the call before Tomiwa could utter another word.

But why did he keep going back to her after treating him like this and after he had on more than one occasion told her he was ending the relationship? Guess that was part of the mystery of love.

It was six months down the line and the Residential period came once more. It was their final one. What he had feared greatly came staring at him in the eye—the worry of how to manage classmates and others who would definitely ask questions. It was easy for him during the regular classes. All he needed to do was to miss classes which he did for more than ninety percent of the regular lectures. He could have done same with the Residential lectures if he had a choice but that would mean inviting failure into his house, feeding and entertaining it! Therefore, he had no choice. His torment multiplied because he saw Rachael every single day and yet he couldn’t lay claim to her or be with her.

But all that was about to change …

To be continued...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 11:03pm On Sep 21, 2018
Thanks for reading, fam.

Just served the update meant for tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers.
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by becca2017(f): 11:16pm On Sep 21, 2018
JamesKudooski:

Becca 2017, I see you.

I thought you said you wanted to go for 2 weeks.

Good to have you back.

Lol i kuku didn't bother going again jawe, i was just silently watching how Rachael is displaying her 'rubbishness'.. thanks a lot for update sirrrrrrrr

1 Like

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by becca2017(f): 11:18pm On Sep 21, 2018
JamesKudooski:
Thanks for reading, fam.
Hope you enjoy it.
Cheers.

Yea we will... [first to comment]

1 Like

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Ann2012(f): 11:28pm On Sep 21, 2018
JamesKudooski:
Thanks for reading, fam.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers.
Thanks Oga James
But we'll be starved tomorrow embarassed
I can smell Tomiwa's victory in d next episode grin
Bye Rachael
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by ifiokjohn(m): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2018
JamesKudooski:
Ifiokjohn asked for tomorrow's updates...

Tomorrow's Updates Loading...
all right!! I will be waiting then, God willing
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by ifiokjohn(m): 12:07am On Sep 22, 2018
[quote author=JamesKudooski post=71408726]

Ifiokjohn, you want to collect update meant for tomorrow this nite.

Tommy should not make me swear for him o, what is this na?
He should leav e Rachel alone for they are many fishes in the river
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Kelvin4luck(m): 6:36am On Sep 22, 2018
na RACHEAL mama be the witch when follow tommy come Lagos abi. oga James more ink to ur pen sorry Jor more energy to ur hand muscles n wisdom to ur brain.
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by excelmerry: 10:08am On Sep 22, 2018
Pls let it change b4 Tomiwa dies of a heart attack. Playing ping- pong with someone's heart is just wicked. Imagine!! Abeg give Tommy an angel to pull him bk from the abyss. Let racheal see all dis going on and die of jealousy, but never to get Tommy back.
Frankly, I understand racheal's fear cos in such cases, marriage is really not advisable but do u hv to play the guy like dat after u both agreed to go on? Some girls wicked sha..
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Kendrick80(m): 10:10am On Sep 22, 2018
Wat do lanre-tomiwa-tade have in common?

Meanwhile,jealousy on the beat,shade on d mix wink

J card works all d time grin
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by ifiokjohn(m): 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2018
Goodafternoon, Please come and update o
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Kelvin4luck(m): 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2018
ifiok supported
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Hantonia(f): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2018
Aka to ma Sony kosi gbo free olode DAT Rachael she is d most confused person ave seen tomiwa it is well wit u oga James tanks 4 d update
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by skubido(m): 8:13pm On Sep 22, 2018
make una no advice Tommy again again ooo, shebi na PRISONERS OF LOVE im still dey way im head no correct. he go soon enter KIRIKIRI OF LOVE..

na strong head way pestle do na im make ham put head for hot water.

OP thanks a lot for the update jhor.
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Hellen123(f): 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2018
Racheal wants to eat her cake and have it which is never possible. weldone Jameskudooski .... more ink to your pen... pls update soon oo
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Nobody: 11:48pm On Sep 22, 2018
Tomiwa has done all he could do to revive the relationship, he needs to move on.Rachael will regret her actions.

Thanks for the update James. Keep it up. Waiting for the next update....
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Favouritetega(f): 11:49pm On Sep 22, 2018
Ann2012:
Thanks Oga James But we'll be starved tomorrow embarassed I can smell Tomiwa's victory in d next episode grin Bye Rachael

Is like u get my eye
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Ann2012(f): 7:22am On Sep 23, 2018
cheesy
Favouritetega:

Is like u get my eye
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Kendrick80(m): 7:48am On Sep 23, 2018
Sunday update ooooooooooo Biko
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by pacifust058(m): 10:42am On Sep 23, 2018
Oga, updaaaaaattteeeee ooooo
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by toyhin123(f): 1:08pm On Sep 23, 2018
All this should change nii o, because me am nt liking it as it's going bayii
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by ifiokjohn(m): 4:02pm On Sep 23, 2018
Guy whre you de? Come and update o pls
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by nastynic(m): 7:29pm On Sep 23, 2018
Nice one Bruh

Hoes are hoes, The form don't matter
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Kelvin4luck(m): 9:22pm On Sep 23, 2018
oga James,tomorrow na Monday o,make person no go work late because of this ur interesting story o, abeg update na
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 8:21am On Sep 24, 2018
becca2017:

Lol i kuku didn't bother going again jawe, i was just silently watching how Rachael is displaying her 'rubbishness'.. thanks a lot for update sirrrrrrrr

Oh, I see. Happy reading, dear.
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 8:33am On Sep 24, 2018
Good Morning Fam,

Trust we all had a beautiful weekend. I sure did. But the rain in the part of Lagos I live in was something else yesterday. It fell heavily throughout the day!

Anyways, it was soothing. Hope you enjoyed it too?

I'm so sorry that I couldn't post any updates yesterday despite the fact that some were calling on me to come and update. Sunday is usually very busy for me.

But don't worry. I will make it up this morning. I will post up to three updates to compensate you, my great people and fam, for that.

For all those who expressed themselves one way or the other either about Tomiwa or Rachael or both, well I want to believe they are listening too. That's if they are both not too being carried away in the separate worlds, anyway.

Do have a great week ahead and happy reading.

Cheers.

With love,

Qudus.
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 8:34am On Sep 24, 2018
Fresh Episodes Loading...
Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 8:43am On Sep 24, 2018
Episode 31 (Chapter 27)

THE DAY IT ALL changed, even Tomiwa didn’t know where the strength came from.

It happened that on one of the days of the Residential lectures, Tomiwa met Rachael and her friend on the way to the class. The friend was definitely new because she wasn’t one of the friends Tomiwa knew when things were still rosy between them. Rachael introduced the two of them to each other.

“Tomiwa, meet my friend, Adesua. Adesua, please meet my … my … hmmm … meet my …” She didn’t know how best to introduce him. At last, she found the word, “… meet Tomiwa, my friend.”

At that, the two shook hands. Tomiwa was pained by the way Rachael introduced him. Something in him was hopeful that the word that revealed that they were more than friends would come out especially when she began groping for the right word to use. He remembered the good old days when Rachael would have delightedly introduced him as her One-and-only, her fiancé.

The three of them walked together to the class talking as they did. Most of the discussion was between Rachael and Adesua, and Tomiwa and Adesua. There was very little between Tomiwa and Rachael. After the lectures, the three of them continued together. Tomiwa saw it as an opportunity to be close to Rachael. After a while, the ladies said they were hungry and when Tomiwa offered to take care of their lunch, Rachael declined. Hence, they had to part ways.

“So, after lunch, where will you be?” Tomiwa asked Rachael before he left.

“We will be at the class. Adesua and I have some past questions to tackle before leaving for the hostel.”

“Okay. I will check on you before going to the hostel then.”

“Okay then.” She replied.

After he left, Adesua asked Rachael, “Babe, come o, who be that bobo wey dey chewing-gum you all over the place?”

“You mean that one?” She waved her hand to dismiss him as if he was of no significance. She then hissed and continued, “No mind am, jare. Abegi leave that boy matter and talk better thing.”

“Mm-hmmm?” And they both laughed hysterically.

They soon finished their meals and returned to the class. Not long after that, Tomiwa showed up. Adesua was the first to sight him as he entered into the classroom. She quickly tapped Rachael to get her attention and whispered, “Rachael, there comes your chewing gum friend. Wait ooo, is it your perfume or your hair style that attracts him? Because I don’t understand this follow follow ooo.”

“I tire ooo.”

Tomiwa got to their seat and greeted. They returned his greeting and continued with their gist. They were supposed to be solving past questions but there they were neck-deep in idle talks. Rachael paid no attention to him even when he tried to strike a conversation with her. When he realised that he was not welcomed, he decided to leave for his hostel and he bade them goodbye.

He had not taken more than five steps when Adesua made a comment he didn’t really hear but knew for sure that it was a nasty comment about him and both ladies giggled out loudly. He turned back and confirmed that he was the subject of their nasty joke. He felt extremely embarrassed. What pained him the most was the fact that Rachael’s disrespect for him had grown to the point where someone could make him an object of ridicule and she could really be amused by it to the point of laughing out loud in such an embarrassing manner. The Rachael that once loved him could never stand such an insult; no one dared did that in her presence and went scot free! But now, she sanctioned it!

Tomiwa had never felt that embarrassed in public before and he felt seriously bad about it. Rachael knew him well. She knew that he could forgive anything but to embarrass him in public? That was a no, no for him. And that was the last straw that broke the camel’s back!

He was going to take it no more. Over the past six months, he had waited…. He had begged…. He had endured so much pain and trauma. But now he was done with all that. He must move on. His mind was made up and this time around, there was no going back! He had finally found the strength to break the shackles of love into pieces…. He was no longer a Prisoner of Love!

To be continued...

2 Likes

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by JamesKudooski(m): 9:00am On Sep 24, 2018
Episode 32 (Chapter 27)

For him to move on, he had to fill the void created by Rachael. His mind naturally went to Damilola, the lady whose crush for him was so great that she literally worshipped him. She had done everything humanly possible to win Tomiwa’s heart but he had turned a blind eye to her. She was a quiet, amiable and responsible lady but Tomiwa had never seen beyond her being his good friend and classmate. Perhaps, it was time to give her a chance.

Damilola’s love for Tomiwa was real and Tomiwa knew as much. However, it was as the saying goes: ‘He who has the head has not the hat and he who has the hat has not the head.’ Tomiwa’s love simply rested in someone else—Rachael. Damilola knew that even though Tomiwa liked and respected her a lot, he didn’t have any feelings beyond a platonic friendship for her but she was hopeful that things might swing her way one day and she was patient. She held that hope so strongly that it stalled her from opening her heart to someone else. She didn’t want to be hooked by the time Tomiwa possibly changed his mind and decided to come for her.

On the other hand, Gabriel was deeply fond of her. He liked her and wanted her to be his wife. Gabriel, at thirty-five, felt he was long overdue to get married, therefore, he wasn’t ready for any casual relationship; he wanted one that would lead to marriage. As a result, he had been pestering Damilola for her love for a long time. Ironically, she paid him no attention and was hopefully waiting for Tomiwa to come around instead.

After waiting for Tomiwa for about three years and nothing happened, she eventually accepted the ever persistent Gabriel on the condition that she would leave him for Tomiwa the very moment Tomiwa showed romantic interest in her even if it was the day before their wedding. Surprisingly, Gabriel accepted the condition! He appreciated her honesty in telling him how she felt about Tomiwa and what she was willing to do if Tomiwa ever showed up. He concluded that it was a strong show of character—an attribute he admired a lot in women. He further reasoned that a woman that could love with such a strong force would make a good wife, so he was willing to stick out his neck for a chance to be with her not minding the risk.

When she eventually gave Gabriel a chance, she never regretted it one bit. It was a lovey-dovey kind of love between them. Gabriel spoilt her with so much affection and gifts—her emotional, physical and material needs were well cared for. In fact, she never lacked anything with Gabriel around her. She couldn’t have asked for more; Gabriel was surely a very good husband material. It was Gabriel’s tactics. He reasoned that if he could lavish much affection and gift on her, he could make her forget about Tomiwa and even declined to go with him in the event he showed up. However, once in a while, Damilola’s mind still strayed towards Tomiwa and wished he could come around but it didn’t happen until now …

Tomiwa took his time to think deeply about Damilola and he realised that he had deliberately closed his eyes to her. Damilola was good and could make a good wife. Additionally, she loved him very much and her body language over time told Tomiwa she wanted him. How come he hadn’t given her a chance all these while? He almost spanked himself as he thought about it. ‘Well, it is better late than never.’ He concluded in his heart as he picked up his phone to call her. What he didn’t know was that that singular act could ruin another person’s life and wreck the relationship another man had laboured hard to build!

As he dialled Damilola’s phone number, he had a feeling of that of the proverbial Prodigal Son of the Bible. But at the same time, he knew that Damilola’s affection for him was strong enough to make her accept him with open hands even though he wasn’t at his best physically. He dialled the number several times but the response was the same each time, “The number you are calling is switched off. Please try again later.” Initially, he thought it might be that her phone was down but throughout the entire day, the phone was switched off. He became convinced that her battery couldn’t be flat. She could have charged it by then. The following morning, the story was still the same. Hence, he decided to go to her hostel to check on her.

Men were not allowed into girl’s hostels, so he approached the potter who announced over the public address system that a visitor was waiting for Damilola at the Potter’s Lodge. Ronke, Damilola’s close friend and roommate came down to the Potter’s Lodge to attend to him.

“Oh, Tommy. It’s you. How are you doing?” Ronke said on seeing him at the lodge.

“Hey, Ronke. How do you do? You are the one that came down? What of Damilola?” Tomiwa asked a bit surprised at seeing Ronke instead of Damilola.

“Oh, you haven’t heard?”

“Heard what?”

“She got married two days ago and flew out of the country yesterday with her husband to Vegas for their honeymoon.”

On hearing that, Tomiwa didn’t realise when he screamed, holding his head in his hands, “Ye! Mogbe!” His heart ran into his mouth and he felt what was like few drops of urine dropped into his pants!

“Tomiwa, what happened? What is the matter?” Ronke asked, extremely surprised at his reaction to the news.

“Hmmm … nothing, Ronke.” He managed to reply and seriously praying and hoping that she didn’t notice what just happened down there!

“Tomiwa, are you sure nothing? Is it that you are not happy for her or what? Or is there something you know about Gabriel that is not too good and you are scared for Damilola?”

“No, not that … it’s just that I was hoping to come ask her to give me a chance to her heart.” He responded soberly.

“Oh, I see … But Tomiwa, it is too late now. My friend had waited for you for too long and you didn’t show up. I am sure that if you had seen her three days ago and asked her out, she would have left Gabriel for you even though it was a day to their wedding! That was how strong her feelings for you were. She told me several times over how she would leave Gabriel for if you ever came around!”

Tomiwa buried his face in his hands and wept like a baby. That was the first time he cried in years. Even during all the trying times with Rachael, he was man enough not to cry despite being close to it several times. But now, his manliness failed him! He couldn’t hold the tears!

“Ah! Tomiwa, son of Lawson … you see your life? Can you see your life? You had her right in front of you all along but paid no attention until someone else whisked her away in plain sight … ah!” Tomiwa scolded himself as he cried his eyes out.

Ronke felt for him. She quickly took him outside in order for him not to embarrass himself in plain sight of others while she consoled him. After a while, he calmed down. He thanked Ronke for her empathy and headed back to his hostel. As he walked towards his hostel, different thoughts played on his mind. He wondered why life had chosen to riddle his life with so much pains and sorrow. He was trying to get out of a heartbreak only for him to be knocked deeper into it. Damilola could have been a perfect replacement for Rachael and his key to getting out of his deplorable situation but Damilola too just slipped off his hands.

He got to the hostel and his heart was heavier than before he left for Damilola’s hostel. But he had vowed within him not to allow thoughts of Rachael ruin his life and he didn’t want to go out that route again. Out of desperation to get a replacement for Rachael, he thought of Valentina—the very lady that almost ruined his relationship with Rachael some time ago out of the desperation of her heart. ‘Valentina too wouldn’t be a bad idea. She almost got me into trouble but it was because she loved me and was desperate to have me.’ He reasoned. He remembered his last encounter with her and how she begged him after Rachael left angrily.

She was fair in complexion like Rachael and superlatively beautiful too. In looks, she was a more perfect replacement for Rachael. She was only flashier than her. ‘With Rachael misbehaving and Damilola married to someone else, I think my last bet is none other than Valentina.’ He concluded. There was no time to waste brooding over spilled milk. Moreover, he had learned from Damilola’s case that delay could be very dangerous. Therefore, he got his car keys and drove straight to Valentina’s house in Festac Town. She had texted her address to him once during those periods she disturbed him with unsolicited calls and text messages in the middle of the night. Tomiwa almost deleted the address then but something made him leave it and today he thanked God that he didn’t.

After about two hours or so, he drove into Festac Town. He didn’t have any difficulty locating the address because he was familiar with the area so well. He got to the door and rang the doorbell.

“Hold on … a minute, please.” He heard Valentina’s voice answered from inside. He was pleased that she was home. His ears tickled at the sweetness of her voice. She had the voice that was just right for the kind of beauty God endowed her with. Tomiwa smiled to himself and quickly rehearsed in his mind what to say and how to say it. Few seconds later, Valentina opened the door and froze with surprise at seeing him. He was the least person she expected to see at her door especially with what happened between them the last time they met.

“Oh, Tommy! Oh, my God! What are you doing here?” she asked with eyes wide opened with surprise.

“Hi Valentina, I came here to see you, of course. It’s been a while.… Hmmm … can I come in, please?”

“Hmmm … I am actually on my way out at the moment…” Valentina replied still holding the knob of the door.

“Well, I am not going to take your time. It’s …” Before he could go any further, he heard another voice from inside the house. This time, it was a man’s voice, George’s.

“Darling, who’s keeping you at the door? You know we are almost getting late and you are not yet done with your makeup which … well … only God knows how long it will take.”

‘Darl … what?!’ Tomiwa’s head rang some bells as he wondered within himself. But before he could put himself together to say anything else, the man was already behind Valentina at the door.

“And who is this young man?” He asked Valentina as he switched glances between Tomiwa and Valentina.

“Oh, it’s Tomiwa, the guy I told you I had a crush on then but was engaged to someone else.” Valentina intimated him.

“Okay. And what is he doing here?”

“Well, I am as lost as you are, darling. Maybe we should ask him.”

Tomiwa looked at Valentina and then George. He was embarrassed and he begged the ground in his heart to open and swallow him. ‘Oh, not again!’

“I just came to say hi to Valentina … and hello Mr…”

“Well, in that case, as you can see, I am going out with my sweetheart.” She said and threw her arm round George who returned the gesture.

“Please Mr Tomiwa, if you don’t mind, we are running late and we’ve got to go.” With that, George lead Valentina back inside and shut the door behind them.
It was obvious that Valentina had moved on with her life and there was something really striking about her. She looked more responsible and wasn’t looking unnecessarily flashy. She must have changed a great deal after or before she met George; whichever way, she was not the same Valentina he had an encounter with months ago.

Tomiwa was short of words. He couldn’t move a step. He was transfixed and stared blankly at the door. His head spun in circles as yet another hope crashed into pieces before his very eyes!

To be continued...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prisoner Of Love: The Story by Hellen123(f): 11:01am On Sep 24, 2018
it remains one oo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

........rebbecca......... / Wilting Matrimony #2/matrimonyseries/ / The Den Of Delilah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.