Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,498 members, 7,826,872 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians (6857 Views)

Catholic Bishops Reject Father Mbaka’s Apology To Peter Obi / Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians / Nigerian Catholic Bishops Meet With Pope Francis At The Vatican. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by naptu2: 10:11am On Aug 09, 2018
Catholic Bishops warn members against endorsing politicians

Published August 8, 2018

Friday Olokor, Jos

With less than one year to the 2019 general elections, the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, on Tuesday warned Catholic clergy or laity (members) against public endorsement of any candidate for political office.

The organisation also warned that ecclesiastical properties should not be used as a platform for the support of any political candidate or political party.

The clerics said they took the decision because of the political tensions and realignments currently taking place and the gale of defections by politicians to different political parties.

The CBCN also called on Catholics to recite the Prayer for Nigeria in Distress, which it composed during the military rule at all masses and other liturgical celebrations.

The CBCN issued the warnings in a statement by its President and Archbishop of Benin City, Augustine Akubeze, and Secretary and Bishop of Ikot Ekpene, Camillus Umoh. The statement was obtained by The PUNCH in Jos on Tuesday.

The directive was issued to Catholic Bishops and Major Superiors of Institutes of Consecrated Life, Catholic Priests, consecrated men and women and the Catholic Lay Faithful.

The statement partly read, “We, the members of the CBCN, as teachers of the faith and morals do have the serious obligation to educate our faithful on their role in the political life of the country.

“We have observed that the political atmosphere is very tense and also noticed the political realignments that are taking place. Some politicians are changing political parties and urging their supporters to switch over their support to their new parties as well.

“Given this development, we wish to use this opportunity to make it clear that the Catholic Church remains ever apolitical and does not endorse or subscribe to any political party.

“Consequently, we hereby declare that no Catholic clergy or laity should publicly endorse any candidate for political office. Liturgical ceremonies must never be used as an opportunity for political campaigns.

“Similarly, ecclesiastical properties should not be used as places for support for any political candidate or party. All priests and laity should avoid giving the impression that the church favours one candidate over another or one political party over another.

“These are difficult times in the history of Nigeria. As people of faith, we must work hard and also pray hard for the future of Nigeria. During the military rule, the CBCN composed the Prayer for Nigeria in Distress. Dearly beloved in Christ, Nigeria is in distress. We consequently, call on Catholics to recite this prayer at all masses and other liturgical celebrations.

“We entrust Nigeria into the hands of God and implore Him to improve the situation in our country. May God intervene in the life of Nigeria once again, so that we can enjoy true peace, justice, and prosperity.”

https://punchng.com/catholic-bishops-warn-members-against-endorsing-politicians/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by izzou(m): 10:16am On Aug 09, 2018
grin

I'm no catholic, but I always admire the way to draw the line between politics and Christianity

55 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Uteghe(m): 10:16am On Aug 09, 2018
grin Good one.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Enoch07: 10:22am On Aug 09, 2018
Tell them o

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Opinionated: 10:22am On Aug 09, 2018
They finally got the good judgement.

Why Nigerians Should Stop Lying
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 09, 2018
Doesn't change the fact that Buhari will win 2019

My Osinbajo will still be VP

And My Fashola will still be Minister of PWH...

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 09, 2018
I offer best rate for all your iTunes card bring them all...
Hope they listen.....
The politicians no send anybody, they only care for their pocket at the end of the day.
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by federal9: 10:23am On Aug 09, 2018
polítics don enter redeem sef undecided

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by kullozone(m): 10:23am On Aug 09, 2018
No direct warning to that dwarf pastor, Osinbade

But why na? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Owaincouncil: 10:23am On Aug 09, 2018
That is if they will hear. Especially father mbaka

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by nedu2000(m): 10:24am On Aug 09, 2018
Hope father Mbaka heeds

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by sykeng(m): 10:24am On Aug 09, 2018
Good one, there are like water and oil that can never mix, I wonder why the V.P disobeyed

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 09, 2018
I really wonder about discipline in the Catholic Church when a priest repeatedly disobeys his Bishops.
I mean, there is no confusion in the things of God, if you cannot operate under the church leadership, resign and go solo.
Being partisan is really dangerous and misleading, cos in the same parish, cathedral or diocese, there would be others with different political leaning.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by nwabobo: 10:24am On Aug 09, 2018
cc: Father Mbaka.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Princess4ng(f): 10:25am On Aug 09, 2018
lol.......... Bishop, I am sorry oooo.they no go gree hear u............. the hunger for plitica positions is so high !

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by educhigo: 10:25am On Aug 09, 2018
make he first warn mbaka

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Centcanada: 10:26am On Aug 09, 2018
Good one for all catholic and priest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by comos: 10:26am On Aug 09, 2018
when will Adeboye caution his pastors against politicians

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Unik3030: 10:26am On Aug 09, 2018
handsomeclouds:
Doesn't change the fact that Buhari will win 2019

My Osinbajo will still be VP

And My Fashola will still be Minister of PWH...

at least u must work for d 30k u receive per month now.welldone

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Yinxies(f): 10:26am On Aug 09, 2018
Politics and religion have already merged...

Check my signature if you are a business owner
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Assassin101: 10:26am On Aug 09, 2018
why discourage them

when Osinbajo became the vice president
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Patdedon(m): 10:27am On Aug 09, 2018
Good move by the Church

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by seunmsg(m): 10:27am On Aug 09, 2018
Cc: Oyedepo, Suleiman, Mbaka.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by MosesAlex: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2018
Also make sure you have your PVC. We should pray and work.
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by RealNaijaQuin: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2018
I love this
Politics and Religion are different things and should be seperated

Meanwhile there's a competition for all Nigerians
Prizes are more than N500,000, please apply now before deadline!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by Ehunmose: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2018
good warning.
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by gpfreshOgb: 10:29am On Aug 09, 2018
Please also advice to vote and vote for their faith during election ooo.. All this my Catholic members like sitting at home during elections. My fellow catholics, you pple should come out and vote for your candidates ooo prayer without work will not yield fruit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by nairavsdollars(f): 10:31am On Aug 09, 2018
Na today?
Re: Catholic Bishops Warn Members Against Endorsing Politicians by lighternote: 10:31am On Aug 09, 2018
Special message to mbaka undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Are Blessed To Bless Others / Origin Of Christianity And Diabolical Mimicry In Anticipation / Do Male Muslims Have Their Sperms Between Their Backbone And Their Ribcage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.