Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,029 members, 7,953,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:31 AM

Programmers how much do you earn monthly? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers how much do you earn monthly? (5790 Views)

Programmers, How Do You Solve Power Issue / Programmers How Can I Achieve This / Programmers, How Do You Cope With Generator Noise In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 23, 2018
Ezechinwa:
Hi guys,
I earn 220k per month and a senior mobile developer.
For an IT company in Lagos.
Please share yours
pls bro, I av HND in CS and I got lot of skills in Java SE , Java web and PHP.. pls I needed a place for intern to garner more experience; sir can you mentor me?am currently in Benin City, married. reply me on osamudiamenimadiyi@gmail.com
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Sync201(m): 3:13am On Aug 24, 2018
sparkle6:

So are u implying that their is no comp.sc graduate that is badass in code? Most people in cmp. department wanted to read a diff course but the varsity just threw them there. And here u are generalising the whole thing. So u havent seen an mit grad who knows nothing about code. Will they break ur head and stuff the code inside? u guys are just hyping this mit. if you dont have the passion of coding you wont learn it, just because u heard dat guys in programming sector ar getting d moolah, u jump in thinking its a days work. If you dont have that passion and perseverance, even if you got to andela, mit, varsity etc, a simple bug will make u quit.
Thats y mark zuck finished school later and got a cert. so that d board of directors wont hold any ground if dey wanna sack him.
Go to d net every 9 in 10 article stress on d cert thing.
True
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by osayi90: 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2018
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by ehis05(m): 4:22pm On Aug 25, 2018
Ezechinwa:
Hi guys,
I earn 220k per month and a senior mobile developer.
For an IT company in Lagos.
Please share yours
bro is there anyway i can reach u?.. Am a developer as well.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by codev: 6:18am On Aug 26, 2018
What's your advice for a java programmer fairly good at Javafx. A quick learner, hoping to gather more experience and earn some bucks

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 10:08pm On Aug 27, 2018
codev:
What's your advice for a java programmer fairly good at Javafx. A quick learner, hoping to gather more experience and earn some bucks
Can u connect to a database in java? How good are u with scenebuilder? Do u know java networking? how many javafy lib can u use? If u got those skills then making cash wont be a problem. I just go any booming i.t shop and offer to develop an inventory management system for at least 30k. 8k per month for maintenance if they want. Dont just sit there go outside and offer what u have for a price. Send me a mail if u want or bera still add me on fb at sparkle six.

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by segbolon: 4:42am On Aug 28, 2018
N75,000 a month working from home in Enugu.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Piuscrown: 7:50am On Aug 28, 2018
sparkle6:

Can u connect to a database in java? How good are u with scenebuilder? Do u know java networking? how many javafy lib can u use? If u got those skills then making cash wont be a problem. I just go any booming i.t shop and offer to develop an inventory management system for at least 30k. 8k per month for maintenance if they want. Dont just sit there go outside and offer what u have for a price. Send me a mail if u want or bera still add me on fb at sparkle six.

I can develop database application in C++ and give it nice UI, I am also looking for ways to start what you just mentioned, but I don't know how to start, I don't even even know how an inventry looks like I hope you can let's talk about that?
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Ejiod(m): 9:44am On Aug 28, 2018
Ezechinwa:

Whatever rocks your boats bro, as I always say MIT is not git as you mentioned earlier
I provided a link for you to read more about what MIT is all about below

https://ist.mit.edu/certificates/guide

Secondly, Computer science degree from Nigerian universities are not that good, that why a lot of Nigerians are going to Canada to acquire practical and theoretical knowledge of what CSC is all about.

Finally, I have worked for lots of some tech companies both in Nigeria and in the UK never for once have they asked me for my degree or even class of degree, it has always been about your skillsets and knowledge on the job.

Have a nice day, remember there are no straightforward ways to getting your dream job, but doesn't mean you shouldn't try to.
I have my masters , even with a PhD grade, yet all programming job interviews I did attend,I was never asked which degree I came out with. The employer just gives you the system to prove what you can do while seeping cup of coffee.Mind you I did Molecular biology @ masters level which has no correlation with computer.. My opinion, no one gives a Bleep about your degree. Practice makes perfection. If it's python do it with all your power.If it's JavaScript kill yourself on top of it..Meanwhile having a git account where you post your repo gives you an edge..

3 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Ayodele951(m): 7:16pm On Aug 28, 2018
Still an undergraduate studying CS. Good with Java but still need to mentor and acquire more skills. Need help.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by kaypompee: 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2018
ediko5:

You are not a programmer at all.

What is a computer science certificate esp in a country like Nigrria?

What will uou learn ? 2004 version of html, css and js?

Any company that request for a computer science is a company who knows nothing about web development.

No standard software development firm will ask you for any dead certificate.

L.O.L.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by edicied: 11:51pm On Aug 28, 2018
Na Which school be this one?
sparkle6:

Yeah you are right. One cmp lecturer was busy embrassing himself on the projector while teaching java for us. U wont imagine how many times he had compile time errors. He cleared his code up to 7 times nd still had bugs.He forgot his semicolon mutiple times. Niaja is fuked up
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by vezycash(m): 5:51pm On Aug 30, 2018
Darivie04:

foreign universities actually offer modern computer science courses... just don't study in Nigeria

Computer science is not about programming!

It doesn't matter if your school's Havard, MIT, Stanford or yabatech. The main focus is mathematics & algorithms. Check the curricula and you'll understand. If one really wants to learn coding, study Software Engineering.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any Nigerian university offering Software Engineering - and I'm only sure of one Ghanaian university offering it.

Computer science degrees expect their graduates to pick up programming on the job. And most jobs won't bite without actual skill - catch22.

Darivie04:

...demanding a lot of mathematical knowledge such as cryptography, computer graphics and animations, data mining, algorithmic trading, robotics e.t.c these are all fields under programming which you will hardly ever get a job in without a degree in either computer science or any related engineering fields.

Cryptography
A math degree is better than a computer science degree for cryptography. The best/most used encryption methods AES, DES, SHA-1... were written by either Mathematicians or Electronic Engineers.

It's frowned upon to write ones own encryption scheme - just use the tested, secure ones available.

Graphics and animations
These don't need a degree in computer science. The best schools for animation are owned by animation studios such as MGM, Disney/Pixar. A proper Art / design graduate has better prospects than a computer science graduate in graphics and animation.

Data Mining
Data mining is now a degree - no Nigerian school offers it. Computer science students only cram the definition of Data Mining and that's all they know it.

Robotics
Robotics is for Electronic engineering / mechanical engineering graduates - not compu sci. There's no computer science dept in Nigeria that teaches Matlab, arduino, microcontrollers - rarely assembly.

After 2nd/3rd semester, computer science students say bye to anything remotely related to physics, mechanics, electrons and robotics.

Algorithmic Trading / HFT (High Frequency Trading)
A computer degree is unnecessary for High Frequency Trading - except for Big banks - definitely not Nigerian banks.

Having dabbled in forex, I know that there are tools any decent programmer can write trading bots in. I have at least two courses on Udemy that teaches this.

Computer Science degree / programming skill is useless for HFT without a trader's knowledge. Traders study the market, trends, then trade manually. When they discover methods that work, they pass their rules to programmers. Programmers simply use existing frameworks or APIs to implement the rules - otan.

Summary

A decent mathematics, physics or Electric Engineering degree is more useful than a computer science degree - even outside Nigeria. Actual programming is better learned through programming schools, courses and videos.

Those whose goal is to learn programming by computer science often end up disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Akin1212(m): 5:34pm On Sep 01, 2018
sparkle6:

So are u implying that their is no comp.sc graduate that is badass in code? Most people in cmp. department wanted to read a diff course but the varsity just threw them there. And here u are generalising the whole thing. So u havent seen an mit grad who knows nothing about code. Will they break ur head and stuff the code inside? u guys are just hyping this mit. if you dont have the passion of coding you wont learn it, just because u heard dat guys in programming sector ar getting d moolah, u jump in thinking its a days work. If you dont have that passion and perseverance, even if you got to andela, mit, varsity etc, a simple bug will make u quit.
Thats y mark zuck finished school later and got a cert. so that d board of directors wont hold any ground if dey wanna sack him.
Go to d net every 9 in 10 article stress on d cert thing.

Bros stop lying, Mark never completed school. He only received a honorary degree from Harvard, and the board of directors can't sack him. Do you just sit with your phone and laptop and create ideas about Facebook? Every other thing you said are likely to be true.

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by ReeLoaDead(m): 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2018
var x=0;
if(!x) print ‘A’;
else print ‘B’;
quote CBD8BF
regular F6F6EC
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by ReeLoaDead(m): 6:47pm On Sep 01, 2018
Vikky014:
Hmmmm, why earn monthly with programming skill? When you can build products with which you'll print your own money at will.
Nothing wrong with earning monthly. That’s how you build experience.

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by kayc0(f): 9:49am On Sep 02, 2018
Gs

2 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2018
Akin1212:

Bros stop lying, Mark never completed school. He only received a honorary degree from Harvard, and the board of directors can't sack him. Do you just sit with your phone and laptop and create ideas about Facebook? Every other thing you said are likely to be true.
my brother this question have being asked in quora many times d board can sack him if certain conditions are met. Go read it urself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Discover How To Be A Blockchain Developer & Blockchain Engineer / Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 / Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.