Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,501 members, 7,823,168 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) (7722 Views)

Does It Matter If A Used Car Was Used By A Woman? / Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic. / 19-Year-Old Girl Flaunts Her Third Car In Two Years (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:40pm On Aug 10, 2018
https://milexcompleteautocare.com/blog/buying-a-used-car--six-things-to-look-at-first

"Please tech guru's, just bought a 2045 owambe v6 and the whoozit is not behaving properly. What could be the problem?"

Or

"Just bought the 1988 haaaa wetinbedis. The OWNER said it had new leg and diamond encrusted streering wheel. They also said it has 50,000km original on it and no one ever sat in the passenger and/or back seat so suspension is brand new. What should I do for future maintenance?"

PAY N5,000-25,000 DEPENDING ON THE CAR TO HAVE A USED CAR INSPECTION DONE [b]BEFORE[/b] YOU BUY THE CAR! STOP LOOKING FOR FREE DIAGNOSIS AND LAMENTING REPAIR COSTS AFTER YOU BUY THE CAR WITHOUT AN INSPECTION! IF THE CAR IS GOOD, THE SELLER SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM REFUNDING THE COST OF THE INSPECTION TO YOU TO MAKE THE SALE!

If that was too harsh, the hormones made me do it grin

Cc the usual suspects:
sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, GAZZUZZ, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, opsudei1, oblo, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, ifyeez,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. akanniade10 Kashif chucsmoore and all the others I cannot remember.......
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:15pm On Aug 10, 2018
after doing copy and paste with the suspects you did not invite the author undecided

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 6:47pm On Aug 10, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
after doing copy and paste with the suspects you did not invite the author undecided

I knew I forgot something! I remembered to delete myself but forgot you wouldn't be in the list! Fixed!
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2018
And while we're on the topic, too many people rush to buy cars that can't afford them.

To really know if you can afford to own a car, go look at local parts shops and mechanics for the cost and labor of the following items for the specific car you are considering should you need them. If you can afford it in an emergency, buy. If not, wait.

1) brake pad and/or rotor replacement- smartoyota, radautoworks, carpartsnigeria.com
2) a new or good used tire gazzuzz
3) oil change with proper oil or you will blow your engine quickly- dru23, gazzuzz, ebuks4ever,radautoworks, carpartsnigeria.com
4) a new battery- carpartsnigeria.com
5) alternator- radutoworks, smartoyota, carpartsnigeria.com
6) radiator smartoyota, radautoworks
7) 4 spark plugs

If you can afford any and all of these without breaking a sweat should something happen, buy a car. These are the most common things that will prevent you from being able to use your car at all- and how stupid would you look having just bought a car with it just sitting parked because you can't afford maintenance embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:14am On Aug 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

After i invited you you refused to talk. I feel betrayed cry
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by jodecibmw: 10:13am On Aug 11, 2018
You forgot to add the latest upcoming culprit parts due to adulterated fuel, road conditions etc.

1. Fuel pump
2. Ignition coils and
3. Suspension parts.

Also due to okada's, danfo's etc.
Money for panel beating/paint job and front / rear lights replacement.
radautoworks:
And while we're on the topic, too many people rush to buy cars that can't afford them.

To really know if you can afford to own a car, go look at local parts shops and mechanics for the cost and labor of the following items for the specific car you are considering should you need them. If you can afford it in an emergency, buy. If not, wait.

1) brake pad and/or rotor replacement- smartoyota, radautoworks, carpartsnigeria.com
3) oil change with proper oil or you will blow your engine quickly- dru23, gazzuzz, ebuks4ever,radautoworks, carpartsnigeria.com
4) a new battery- carpartsnigeria.com
7) 4 spark plugs

If you can afford any and all of these without breaking a sweat should something happen, buy a car. These are the most common things that will prevent you from being able to use your car at all- and how stupid would you look having just bought a car with it just sitting parked because you can't afford maintenance embarassed

3 Likes

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 11, 2018
radautoworks:

4) a new battery- carpartsnigeria.com, DelTel
7) 4 spark plugs

Evaporator
Oil Filter
Cost of Engine (Tokunbo & New)
Cost of Fuel grin grin
Coolant
Transmission Fluid
Leg Pull - Honda Accord - Thebigkendo shocked shocked
OEM spare parts grin grin
Brain Box - Corolla
Aboki Cost - Corolla. cheesy grin grin grin

Not forgetting duration of oil change.

The list is endless.

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:40pm On Aug 11, 2018
TheCar:

Evaporator
Oil Filter
Cost of Engine (Tokunbo & New)
Cost of Fuel grin grin
Coolant
Transmission Fluid
Leg Pull - Honda Accord - Thebigkendo shocked shocked
OEM spare parts grin grin
Brain Box - Corolla
Aboki Cost - Corolla. cheesy grin grin grin

Not forgetting duration of oil change.

The list is endless. You

Abi? Don't want to scare EVERYONE! add those and and even I'm thinking 'why do I have a car??' lol

I was focusing more on what you simply cannot get the car to move without that is most likely to happen.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:41pm On Aug 11, 2018
jodecibmw:
You forgot to add the latest upcoming culprit parts due to adulterated fuel, road conditions etc.

1. Fuel pump
2. Ignition coils and
3. Suspension parts.

Also due to okada's, danfo's etc.
Money for panel beating/paint job and front / rear lights replacement.

We are going to just ride with all our dents grin
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Piyke: 7:55pm On Aug 11, 2018
Thank God for the wisdom to do car inspection when I bought my car 9 years ago. Although it was a Kazeem I used, he knew what to look out for based on what his people do to vehicles.
Paying for inspection is so worth it and nobody who plans to buy a car should skip it except you know your onions or buying brand new.

In other matters, I scanned a vehicle yesterday and it takes the record for the most warning lights on any vehicle I have ever scanned, most codes too. Powertrain had 4, ABS 5, SRS 5, AT was clear but even the P/S system had codes. My scanner does not assess P/S systems but the warning light was on.
Practically all warning lights were on except the low oil pressure and alternator warning lights. Vehicle had been heavily kazimized. Of course cooling fans were running direct. Guess what? Owner was talking of selling the car off. Maybe to an unsuspecting buyer who would be told "Oga the lights no mean anything".

3 Likes

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 11, 2018
radautoworks:

Abi? Don't want to scare EVERYONE! add those and and even I'm thinking 'why do I have a car??' lol

Buying a car is like getting married.

People asking you to get married wouldn't tell you the cost implications until you enter and then you start hearing "You think they called Married Men, responsible for nothing abi?"

Buying a car is fun, bring convenience and comfort but getting it right from the start is essential and extremely important.

If you get it wrong, your Account Balance in the bank would bleed. grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 3:36am On Aug 12, 2018
Piyke:
Thank God for the wisdom to do car inspection when I bought my car 9 years ago. Although it was a Kazeem I used, he knew what to look out for based on what his people do vehicles.
Paying for inspection is so worth it and nobody who plans to buy a car should skip it except you know your onions or buying brand new.

In other matters, I scanned a vehicle yesterday and it takes the record for the most warning lights on any vehicle I have ever scanned, most codes too. Powertrain had 4, ABS 5, SRS 5, AT was clear but even the P/S system had codes. My scanner does not assess P/S systems but the warning light was on.
Practically all warning lights were on except the low oil pressure and alternator warning lights. Vehicle had been heavily kazimized. Of course cooling fans were running direct. Guess what? Owner was talking of selling the car off. Maybe to an unsuspecting buyer who would be told "Oga the lights no mean anything".

Please, what car was this undecided
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Piyke: 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2018
radautoworks:

Please, what car was this undecided

2008 Toyota Rav4
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:18pm On Aug 12, 2018
Piyke:

2008 Toyota Rav4

A whole Rav4

1 Share

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 10:46am On Aug 13, 2018
N19,000 FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGE PROMOTION

Until the end of August 2018, N19,000 fully synthetic oil change. Includes up to 5 quarts of Carquest fully synthetic oil, oil filter and free performance check. Additional quarts extra.

Mention coupon AUNTYRADU grin

2 Likes

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 1:36am On Aug 19, 2018
This article is part of why Nigeria is ready for Milex - Carquest

http://www.newsy.com/stories/how-nigeria-is-quickly-becoming-a-world-power/

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:18pm On Aug 22, 2018
WE ARE SUSPENDING ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION WORK FOR A MONTH BECAUSE DADDY RADU HAS JOINED AUNTY RADU FOR BABY RADU'S IMPENDING ARRIVAL. WE ARE NOT YET READY TO ALLOW OUR STAFF TO RUN COMPLETELY UNFETERRED IN OUR ABSENCE.

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE AND SUSPENSION SERVICES ARE STILL AVAILABLE UNTIL OUR RETURN
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by oblo(m): 7:26pm On Aug 22, 2018
radautoworks:
WE ARE SUSPENDING ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION WORK FOR A MONTH BECAUSE DADDY RADU HAS JOINED AUNTY RADU FOR BABY RADU'S IMPENDING ARRIVAL. WE ARE NOT YET READY TO ALLOW OUR STAFF TO RUN COMPLETELY UNFETERRED IN OUR ABSENCE.

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE AND SUSPENSION SERVICES ARE STILL AVAILABLE UNTIL OUR RETURN

Aunty Aunty Radu.... Congratulations in advance. We will be right here waiting.. Mwile I go need gate man? Oga Gazuzz dey vex say I let one... Erm... Straffboy Comot upper chime. grin

3 Likes

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 3:17am On Aug 23, 2018
oblo:

Aunty Aunty Radu.... Congratulations in advance. We will be right here waiting.. Mwile I go need gate man? Oga Gazuzz dey vex say I let one... Erm... Straffboy Comot upper chime. grin

shocked
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:10am On Aug 28, 2018
UPDATED LIST OF USED CARS YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY

https://www.hotcars.com/20-used-cars-you-should-never-buy-because-theyre-bad/?v=6&n=f

where is the house? Gazzuzz please summon them let the debate begin! AutoElectNG, EgunMogaji, ivoryhouse, Piyke, HeavenlyBang, you too.

I knew jaguar s-type had issues but damn! Beemer dey for list. Infiniti too but don't worry ivoryhouse oh and skip number 4 grin
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by AutoElectNG: 5:21am On Aug 28, 2018
Very few cars Nigerians consider

Preponderance of cars the American public buys
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 6:53am On Aug 28, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Very few cars Nigerians consider

Preponderance of cars the American public buys

I don't know... Especially as you get closer to number one, a lot of German/Asian

We've already seen quite a few of them at the shop
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by AutoElectNG: 7:04am On Aug 28, 2018
radautoworks:

I don't know... Especially as you get closer to number one, a lot of German/Asian

We've already seen quite a few of them at the shop
German cars yea

British cars yea

American cars not so much
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Piyke: 10:51am On Aug 28, 2018
radautoworks:
UPDATED LIST OF USED CARS YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY

https://www.hotcars.com/20-used-cars-you-should-never-buy-because-theyre-bad/?v=6&n=f

where is the house? Gazzuzz please summon them let the debate begin! AutoElectNG, EgunMogaji, ivoryhouse, Piyke, HeavenlyBang, you too.

I knew jaguar s-type had issues but damn! Beemer dey for list. Infiniti too but don't worry ivoryhouse oh and skip number 4 grin

Thank God I don't have any grin. Don't fancy a lot on the list. Just as AutoElect said not the typical car the average Nigerian thinks about.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by williams20(m): 1:58pm On Aug 28, 2018
Good day house , please is Honda CRV 2002 (nigerian used ) a good buy
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ugreat(m): 2:28pm On Aug 28, 2018
williams20:

Pay a good mechanic to inspect it for you. That's what the thread said

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
williams20:

Exactly what ugreat said. Moral of this thread is that you need a good mechanic/shop to physically inspect the vehicle inside and out as well as run scans on it. There is no blanket rule of Nigerian used CRV is good, etc. You need to check the specific vehicle you intend to purchase.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2018
Piyke:

Thank God I don't have any grin. Don't fancy a lot on the list. Just as AutoElect said not the typical car the average Nigerian thinks about.

Some really threw me. I was pouting about a few! Funny thing though is a lot of those have been through the shop already in Nigeria!
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
Is Acura TL 2007 model, type S or not, a good buy for a first car in terms of reliability (every day driving), fuel economy and ease of maintenance / repair? GAZZUZZ EgunMogaji. I have heard from nurey and HeavenlyBang though.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
ogtavia:
Is Acura TL 2007 model, type S or not, a good buy for a first car in terms of reliability (every day driving), fuel economy and ease of maintenance / repair? GAZZUZZ EgunMogaji. I have heard from nurey and HeavenlyBang though.

Personally i like the car. Reliable, decent fuel though there are better, some premium features, maintenance shouldn't be expensive. Just don't know about availability of parts here historically. It boils down to the specific car you are being offered. Get it thoroughly inspected and you should be fine.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2018
radautoworks:

Personally i like the car. Reliable, decent fuel though there are better, some premium features, maintenance shouldn't be expensive. Just don't know about availability of parts here historically. It boils down to the specific car you are being offered. Get it thoroughly inspected and you should be fine.

Thanks a lot. Whats your take on its transmission as it came up intermittently in the reviews i read. Besides, one of my bosses at work had it at a time ( dont know the year though } and complained of its many electrical issues. Though, i didnt ask him of his maintenance culture and how he purchases replacement parts. But i like the interior, its the closest you can get in comparison to a benz, bmw or lexus in terms of aesthetics.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2018
ogtavia:

Thanks a lot. Whats your take on its transmission as it came up intermittently in the reviews i read. Besides, one of my bosses at work had it at a time ( dont know the year though } and complained of its many electrical issues. Though, i didnt ask him of his maintenance culture and how he purchases replacement parts. But i like the interior, its the closest you can get in comparison to a benz, bmw or lexus in terms of aesthetics.

That's a good engine but again, depends on the specific car you are looking at. As long as nothing wrong with it when you buy it and you maintain, should get good life out of it. Yes, little electrical issues with Windows and sunroof if I recall but I'll take my chances for that car. It's a good premium: cost ratio.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Serious Talk About Infiniti Fx35 And 45 / Own A Nissan Pathfinder/xterra 05-11? Look Here Or Risk Transmission Failure / How Much To Refill Car AC Gas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.