Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,456 members, 7,958,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:14 PM

How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) (7949 Views)

Does It Matter If A Used Car Was Used By A Woman? / Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic. / 19-Year-Old Girl Flaunts Her Third Car In Two Years (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 9:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
radautoworks:

That's a good engine but again, depends on the specific car you are looking at. As long as nothing wrong with it when you buy it and you maintain, should get good life out of it. Yes, little electrical issues with Windows and sunroof if I recall but I'll take my chances for that car. It's a good premium: cost ratio.

Thanks a lot. I dont think i have issues with window or sunroof faults. I hope to get a clean foreign used one or go to cotonou myself (of course with a mechanic/someone who knows the grounds). I am also willing to take my chances. I am looking at getting the 2007 Acura TL 3.2L or the type S with a 3.5L engine.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 28, 2018
radautoworks:

Personally i like the car. Reliable, decent fuel though there are better, some premium features, maintenance shouldn't be expensive. Just don't know about availability of parts here historically. It boils down to the specific car you are being offered. Get it thoroughly inspected and you should be fine.

There’s no such thing as a bad brand, only Bad owners grin

Heck, I’ll own a Trabant shocked

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2018
ogtavia:
Is Acura TL 2007 model, type S or not, a good buy for a first car in terms of reliability (every day driving), fuel economy and ease of maintenance / repair? GAZZUZZ EgunMogaji. I have heard from nurey and HeavenlyBang though.

Transmission Failure @ 150,000-170,000.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:53am On Aug 29, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Nah. Not if well kept

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 29, 2018
ogtavia:
Is Acura TL 2007 model, type S or not, a good buy for a first car in terms of reliability (every day driving), fuel economy and ease of maintenance / repair? GAZZUZZ EgunMogaji. I have heard from nurey and HeavenlyBang though.

Been using mine for like 3 months now, very sweet car, fast, comfortable, fun to drive. Can't say much about its reliability since its just been 3 months but its a Honda so I don't expect anything less. Before this I've used 3 different Hondas so I know what to expect. Fuel economy is not bad considering its a V6, its almost same as 05 Honda accord EOD v6. Car is in stock state, not tropicalized, no abuse done, no check engine, no abs or vsc lights on. I had a failed downstream 02 sensor bank 1 after 1 month of use which drastically affected fuel economy. After changing the 02 sensor fuel economy went back to normal.

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:56am On Aug 29, 2018
greenhulk:

Been using mine for like 3 months now, very sweet car, fast, comfortable, fun to drive. Can't say much about its reliability since its just been 3 months but its a Honda so I don't expect anything less. Before this I've used 3 different Hondas so I know what to expect. Fuel economy is not bad considering its a V6, its almost same as 05 Honda accord EOD v6. Car is in stock state, not tropicalized, no abuse done, no check engine, no abs or vsc lights on. I had a failed downstream 02 sensor bank 1 after 1 month of use which drastically affected fuel economy. After changing the 02 sensor fuel economy went back to normal.

A 2007 Type S?
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 29, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

A 2007 Type S?

Mine is 05, non type is. But its basically same thing with 07 type s.07 is just a facelift from the 04/05 with refreshed tail lights, fog lamps and some minor refreshments. Though type s has 3.5L v6 instead of 3.2L on the non type s, mpg is same at highway speed and loses by just 1mpg in city. Every other things is the same.

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:26am On Aug 29, 2018
greenhulk:

Mine is 05, non type is. But its basically same thing with 07 type s.07 is just a facelift from the 04/05 with refreshed tail lights, fog lamps and some minor refreshments. Though type s has 3.5L v6 instead of 3.2L on the non type s, mpg is same at highway speed and loses by just 1mpg in city. Every other things is the same.

I know that, was just curious because I haven't seen a lot of '07 Type S's.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 29, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

I know that, was just curious because I haven't seen a lot of '07 Type S's.

True. Even the regular TL are not very common.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:59am On Aug 29, 2018
greenhulk:

True. Even the regular TL are not very common.

Which is a shame, because it's an awesome car. I'd take it over a C Class of the same year, any time.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by 9icetoo(m): 11:46am On Aug 29, 2018
radautoworks:
UPDATED LIST OF USED CARS YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY

https://www.hotcars.com/20-used-cars-you-should-never-buy-because-theyre-bad/?v=6&n=f

where is the house? Gazzuzz please summon them let the debate begin! AutoElectNG, EgunMogaji, ivoryhouse, Piyke, HeavenlyBang, you too.

I knew jaguar s-type had issues but damn! Beemer dey for list. Infiniti too but don't worry ivoryhouse oh and skip number 4 grin
I was getting worried when I didn't see Volkswagen there. Saw it later on and said "aha".

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:03pm On Aug 29, 2018
greenhulk:

What he said. Fun.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 1:39am On Aug 31, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Can this prevented by regular maintenance or its a sure failure regardless of any measure taken to mitigate it.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 1:42am On Aug 31, 2018
greenhulk:

Thanks a lot. If you dont mind bro, can we chat about this a little bit. I need to clarify a few things. Here is my line : 07032769167. Although, i just sent you a PM.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 3:40am On Aug 31, 2018
ogtavia:

Can this prevented by regular maintenance or its a sure failure regardless of any measure taken to mitigate it.

It's really not a concern as long as you keep up your maintenance
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 4:29am On Aug 31, 2018
radautoworks:

It's really not a concern as long as you keep up your maintenance

Thanks a lot.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:38am On Aug 31, 2018
ogtavia:

its a sure thing
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 12:09am On Sep 01, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

its a sure thing
Okay bro.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 12:18am On Sep 01, 2018
ogtavia:

Okay bro.

BUY. THE. CAR.

after a good inspection of course. You will enjoy it. Talk to the person who owns one.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 12:50am On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

BUY. THE. CAR.

after a good inspection of course. You will enjoy it. Talk to the person who owns one.

Made up my mind already. Sad thing is, i am not in Lagos. Would have loved to bring it to your service centre for anointing...lol..But really, thanks for the advice and the tips. It really helped in my decision making process.

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:30pm On Sep 01, 2018
ogtavia:

Made up my mind already. Sad thing is, i am not in Lagos. Would have loved to bring it to your service centre for anointing...lol..But really, thanks for the advice and the tips. It really helped in my decision making process.

You bought the TL?
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2018
9icetoo:

I was getting worried when I didn't see Volkswagen there. Saw it later on and said "aha".

Heh
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 5:59pm On Sep 01, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

You bought the TL?
Not yet bro but going to. Thanks for your invaluable input. I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

You bought the TL?
Not yet bro but soon. Thanks for your invaluable input. I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:13pm On Sep 01, 2018
ogtavia:
Not yet bro but soon. Thanks for your invaluable input. I really appreciate.

Aight, bro. Review it when you do!

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by ogtavia(m): 7:24pm On Sep 01, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Aight, bro. Review it when you do!

Sure. Will also keep you posted. Thanks a lot.
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 12:38am On Sep 04, 2018
SEPTEMBER SPECIAL- WINDSHIELD WIPERS BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE!

You know you've been putting it off! Now you have no excuse. For the month of September, buy any windshield wiper, get a second for absolutely free! Any brand is eligible. If it's in stock, you can get one free with purchase of one.

PRICES START AT N1,900!!!
Ask for the "SEPTEMBER MIND WIPE"

1 Like

Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 3:52am On Sep 05, 2018
Signing off for a few days. Any inquiries can go to
support@radautoworks.com, 0803 419 7461 and 0908 306 4719 M-F 9-5, Sat 9-2

on Facebook, @CarquestMilexNG

On Instagram, @radautoworks

https://www.mrtransmissionmilexnigeria.com/parts-request
Thanks!
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 10:15am On Sep 23, 2018
Full range of services resumes on Wednesday the 26th of September. Daddy Radu will be back by then cry
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 7:42pm On Mar 14, 2019
This is a good read especially for the first time car buyer. Don't say "this is for America". LEARN and avoid buyer's remorse.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/how-to-buy-a-used-car-2019-3
Re: How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) by radautoworks: 8:05pm On Mar 14, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buy your OBD Car scanner / 2004 Toyota Corolla Sport Or 2005 Mercedez Benz C230 Komporessor ??? / Benz C300 4matic Eis And Streering Lock Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.