Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,679 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (794846 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2019
Lols. What does this have to do with me?
Senatorbee:

Check previous pages here, there is someone who got his Visa approved with full funding for public administration.
If am less busy I can assist you in digging out his moniker or mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 3:10pm On Mar 08, 2019
You can. But why would you want to switch.
Callmeibironke:
Hello,

Can one earn a Master's degree in a different course from the one in B.sc.

Microbiology - B.Sc.
Looking at Data Science - M.Sc.

No working experience in data science
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 3:36pm On Mar 08, 2019
handoffire:

Yes I have, No response from him yet after that.

I also emailed the departmental secretary about two days ago about Graduate Assistantship opportunities. , but no response from her also , am thinking of sending the email again but I don't want to look desperate.

Send him a reminder. Sometimes they do forget.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abdulrahmon68(m): 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2019
Good day guys!

If I need to get transcript of my WAEC result, do I need to go to WAEC office or I can send them mail and they can process it and send to CSU via email

I await your response please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 08, 2019
Callmeibironke:
Hello,

Microbiology - B.Sc.

Totally fine! You will get the visa.
Data science is everywhere (even in healthcare). If asked by the VO, talk about how you want to become a Data Scientist in the healthcare industry and how your Data Science degree will give you the necessary skills that complement your domain knowledge in healthcare, acquired through your undergrad in Microbiology.

You'll be fine.

Also, since you don't have prior work experience in Data Science, choose a 2-year program.
Here are good options to choose from: MS in Data Science (2 years), MS in Statistics (2 years), MS in Biostatistics (2 years). They will all lead you to the same career path, but make sure it is a 2-year degree.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kidUrbane: 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2019
Abdulrahmon68:
Good day guys!

If I need to get transcript of my WAEC result, do I need to go to WAEC office or I can send them mail and they can process it and send to CSU via email

Hi,
You would have to visit the WAEC office at Yaba to request for a copy of your WAEC transcript. Go with at least 3 Passports, photocopy of your WAEC result, Waec scratch card, N10,000 application Fee, N10,000 for FEDEX delivery, be prepared to do affidavit too. In all, I’ll advise you go there with atleast N25,000. Please note that I am speaking from the experience I had sending my WAEC result to WES. It might be a little different since you are sending directly to CSU. Before proceeding to the WAEC office, be certain that CSU really needs your transcript and not just WAEC scratch card. Some schools accept WAEC scratch card to verify your result.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kidUrbane: 6:36pm On Mar 08, 2019
Abdulrahmon68:
Good day guys!

Abdulrahmon68:
Good day guys!

Hi,
You would have to visit the WAEC office at Yaba to request for a copy of your WAEC transcript. Go with at least 3 Passports, photocopy of your WAEC result, Waec scratch card, N10,000 application Fee, N10,000 for FEDEX delivery, be prepared to do affidavit too. In all, I’ll advise you go there with atleast N25,000. Please note that I am speaking from the experience I had sending my WAEC result to WES. It might be a little different since you are sending directly to CSU. Before proceeding to the WAEC office, be certain that CSU really needs your transcript and not just WAEC scratch card. Some schools accept WAEC scratch card to verify your result.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 8:05pm On Mar 08, 2019
I think you should let this student come up with her personal reason as to why she want to pursue MS in Data Science. But your view of what she can do with the program is commendable.
bracelum:

Totally fine! You will get the visa.
Data science is everywhere (even in healthcare). If asked by the VO, talk about how you want to become a Data Scientist in the healthcare industry and how your Data Science degree will give you the necessary skills that complement your domain knowledge in healthcare, acquired through your undergrad in Microbiology.

You'll be fine.

Also, since you don't have prior work experience in Data Science, choose a 2-year program.
Here are good options to choose from: MS in Data Science (2 years), MS in Statistics (2 years), MS in Biostatistics (2 years). They will all lead you to the same career path, but make sure it is a 2-year degree.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abdulrahmon68(m): 8:25pm On Mar 08, 2019
kidUrbane:

Hi,

Hello brother!

I appreciate your response, it is well explanatory.

I had initially forwarded my WAEC result and scratch card details to CSU believing that they will accept it like other school does, but to my surprise they sent me a mail that they do not accept it, that for me to know that they have rejected it they have sent my attachment back to me. As I was reading the mail I begin smile cus the mail funny to me.

CSU just wan make WAEC and FedEx chop my money sha! well there is God o.

I will do as you said bro. Thanks very much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 08, 2019
fairheart:
I think you should let this student come up with her personal reason as to why she want to pursue MS in Data Science. But your view of what she can do with the program is commendable.

Hey! Don't just jump on every comment just because you want to say something.

If we allow everyone to come up with their personal reasons, this thread will not be in existence. I'm sure my comment provided some insights to the OP that will be helpful in her visa pursuit.

Thanks for the compliments though. Please don't bother to reply me.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 9:28pm On Mar 08, 2019
I will not reply... grin grin grin
This is what happened when you take things out of context. I was not attacking you; I was just saying it's better she say why she want to switch before you start telling her what to say and all. If you know me, you'll understand I don't have time commenting unnecessary stuffs here. But I needed to say something about this one.
bracelum:

Hey! Don't just jump on every comment just because you want to say something.

If we allow everyone to come up with their personal reasons, this thread will not be in existence. I'm sure my comment provided some insights to the OP that will be helpful in her visa pursuit.

Thanks for the compliments though. Please don't bother to reply me.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by decong: 11:19pm On Mar 08, 2019
Hello. Please i have been trying to creatr a new user on d cgi since yesterday and been unable to create. Is anybody also experiencing this?

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 2:00pm On Mar 09, 2019
Make una go vote o! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2019
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Melcapital: 3:34pm On Mar 09, 2019
Good evening everyone. Please I need your advice in booking my flight to the US.
My school is in Alabama and I discovered that the flights to that city and for the period I want to depart are expensive.I have a brother in Maryland so I am planning on booking a flight to Maryland which is much cheaper instead, then spend sometime with him(like 2 weeks), then take a greyhound bus to Alabama when school resumes.
My question is: Will I have a problem at the port of entry for taking a flight to Maryland instead of Alabama?
If I am asked such a question, how do I reply?
Please I need your inputs. God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 09, 2019
Melcapital:
Good evening everyone. Please I need your advice in booking my flight to the US.
My school is in Alabama and I discovered that the flights to that city and for the period I want to depart are expensive.I have a brother in Maryland so I am planning on booking a flight to Maryland which is much cheaper instead, then spend sometime with him(like 2 weeks), then take a greyhound bus to Alabama when school resumes.
My question is: Will I have a problem at the port of entry for taking a flight to Maryland instead of Alabama?

We no see your visa transcript. Now, you dey ask us for advice.
Fear God o

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Melcapital: 3:58pm On Mar 09, 2019
bracelum:

We no see your visa transcript. Now, you dey ask us for advice.
Fear God o

I have benefited a lot from this thread so I am definitely going to do that.
It is still under administrative processing.
Once I get it, I will post the transcript. That’s sure�
I have already written the transcript down in case forget�
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2019
Melcapital:
It's understandable. Just make sure that the next time you check for flights and their prices, use incognito tab/private tabs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by pstfrancis(m): 4:29pm On Mar 09, 2019
Olalekank:

It's understandable. Just make sure that the next time you check for flights and their prices, use incognito tab/private tabs.

What is the importance if i may learn from you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 4:50pm On Mar 09, 2019
pstfrancis:

What is the importance if i may learn from you

Some of these flight booking websites store cookies on your laptop and when next you check for the pricing, you might see an inflated price than what you saw previously.

However using an incognito tab would make sure your cookies can't be access as well as prevent cookies from on your device. You get the gist?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sheke01: 5:57pm On Mar 09, 2019
fairheart:
I will not reply... grin grin grin
This is what happened when you take things out of context. I was not attacking you; I was just saying it's better she say why she want to switch before you start telling her what to say and all. If you know me, you'll understand I don't have time commenting unnecessary stuffs here. But I needed to say something about this one.

Lolz....Laugh wan kee me for here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sheke01: 6:27pm On Mar 09, 2019
Callmeibironke:
Hello,

Microbiology - B.Sc.

Yea you can but be ready to take some prerequisites courses before you will be allowed to start the main program.

Most schools don't do data science as a stand alone program. Only few schools do and they are some of the Top schools in the US and they are very very expensive. So be prepared to break the bank for this program.

Alternatively, you can go for Computer Information Systems in a business school. Most schools that does CIS in their business school have business analytics option that will eventually place you on a data science career path with the added bonus of you having an IT degree thereby increasing your job search options.

Please note that this path is highly quantitative so be prepared to take the GRE and do well in the quant section and this field is not usually funded so you have to be financially prepared as well

Hope this helps you.

regards

N/B: If you took courses in statistics in your undergraduate program good for you, else more prerequisites for you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by NoQualms1(f): 6:59pm On Mar 09, 2019
AdetonaDami:

I paid through exam planet..
hope you were above 300 for the unofficial score ?

Yes, scored 311.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MyAmericandream(f): 7:05pm On Mar 09, 2019
fairheart:
Make una go vote o! grin grin grin
You way no even get PVC, You kan dey shout like say you don reach your polling unit.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 09, 2019
Callmeibironke:
Hello,

Microbiology - B.Sc.

Just to add to my previous comment... This will also be valuable to anyone considering a master's or career in Data Science

If you're choosing Data Science because The Harvard Business Review calls it "The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century", or because everyone says it is a hot job, you have to think deeply before getting into it. Here are 3 realities about the industry a lot of folks won't tell you.

1. If you don't like statistics, Data Science is not for you
To survive the industry, you must love statistics. And when I say statistics, I mean deep-level statistics. Data Science is deep-level statistics + some level of programming. Hence, your success in the industry depends on how much you love developing statistical models.

If you struggled with statistics courses in your undergrad, you might struggle in Data Science. Learning Python online does not make one a Data Scientist. It is your ability to develop a customer acquisition statistical model from scratch or your ability to develop a model for A/B testing from scratch that makes you proficient in Data Science.

So, before choosing to do a master's in DS, test your statistics knowledge thoroughly. If you can't cope with conditional probabilities, Markov Chains, Inverse Mills Ratio, logit model, probit models and other complex statistical models, you might want to rethink your data science dream.

2. Get Data Science Work Experience before getting your masters in the US
The job market for DS is hot, but what a lot of folks don't tell you is that there are >300 applicants to every Data Scientist job posting in the US. Everybody wants to become a Data Scientist and so the competition is very very tough. There is an oversupply of newly minted MS graduates for these positions and a lot of them do not have prior work experience. Aside from the brand name of your university and your network, what stands you out from the crowd is your work experience.

Also, a lot of Software Engineers are moving to DS cos it pays more. And those folks already have the programming skills + some experience working with Data Scientists in their jobs. A lot of quantitative academicians and postdocs (economics, statistics, engineering) are moving to DS cos it pays more than their $40K postdoc salaries. A lot of these folks already have research experience using most machine learning models and they don't mind taking entry-level roles in DS. A lot of Engineers have suddenly realized that DS is the bomb and are all attending bootcamps to boost their skills to make a switch to DS. Also, a lot of graduate students who after resuming their first semester realized that their degrees are not lucrative and are now switching to DS.

Now, these group of people makes up the >300 applicants per position in DS. To stand out, it is best you have prior work experience before coming to the US especially when you're not attending a top school where alums (that are hiring managers) can easily hire you and place you in their teams.

3. Domain Knowledge is Very Important
Data Science is everywhere. It is in tech, healthcare, logisitics, supply chain, engineering etc. It will be best to start in the industry where you have strong domain knowledge. If your undergrad is in biochem, it might be best to start as a Data Scientist in a biotech firm where you can flex your domain knowledge and learn the ropes of DS. After a while, you can then branch out to other industries like tech or marketing. Same applies to every field. Also, it might be easier getting your first job in your domain before branching out to other industries.

In summary, make sure you are very very comfortable in statistics, make sure you have prior work experience and make sure you are entering an industry you are comfortable with. These will go a long way to determine your success in the DS industry as a fresher.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 7:14pm On Mar 09, 2019
Even me self laugh seriously.
sheke01:

Lolz....Laugh wan kee me for here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 7:19pm On Mar 09, 2019
shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin Ah! Chai, this girl naked me o
MyAmericandream:
You way no even get PVC, You kan dey shout like say you don reach your polling unit.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 7:21pm On Mar 09, 2019
I go soon catch you. No worry... cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked
MyAmericandream:

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.