Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (536) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (793107 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (533) (534) (535) (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Milkshakes01(f): 12:42pm On Jun 08, 2019
Shawarma where is your transcript?
Or you haven’t gone for interview?
sharwama:

I have attached screenshots for you. Please let me know if you require additional information. I wish you well my friend grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 12:42pm On Jun 08, 2019
dwilliams707:
Please can I schedule an appointment before i submit my ds-160?
No, you'll need your DS160 confirmation no. to make the app.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Shehuroj: 12:45pm On Jun 08, 2019
Leoney:
Hello everyone,
My visa was approved on May 24th at Abuja, sorry it took long to come back and give thanks to everyone in this group, work has been tight and I only just collected my passport yesterday (not an excuse though). Thank you all for your wonderful contributions to this thread and also @Time2win for the mock interview a day before the interview, your drills were just what I needed to put my mind at ease, even asking questions that up until that moment I had not anticipated.

The interview was very, very brief. To provide a context of how short it was, I had my interview after @Amyfid12 and her interview went exactly as she described, I thought she was very articulate and spoke really well, but she was stopped right after she said Aunty. After her interview she was just outside the interview door arranging her documents when I met up with her, and we walked out together. I genuinely felt for her, I just think the lack of assistantship was the issue.

To the interview proper.

Me: Good morning (she did not smile or really look up)

VO: Pass me your passport (I did), I-20 too (I did also)

VO: Why this University?

Me: This university is unique to me for several reasons. Firstly, it is a research active institution and the research of Prof. Madsen who is a pioneer of sorts in geophysics also attracted me to the institution. Secondly, (VO cuts in)

VO: I see you have full funding from the university.

Me: Yes, I do

VO: Congratulations, your visa has been approved blah, blah blah.

So, thank you all for your continuous contributions to this thread.
Waooooo, congratulations.
I hope to have this grace in my interview on 13th of June. Although I have partial scholarship and have applied for research assistantships, one of which the program coordinator recommended me but o decision has been made on it. I am a bit scared of these rejections base on Uncle being the sponsor because I am using same uncle. I hope and I pray I get this grace too.

Congratulations once again.

Please I need a coach to drill me too.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 12:45pm On Jun 08, 2019
Milkshakes01:
Yes o.. grin shawarma we've been looking forward to your transcript grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 12:47pm On Jun 08, 2019
sharwama:

I have attached screenshots for you. Please let me know if you require additional information. I wish you well my friend grin grin grin
Please is my sponsor required to send his statements of account ,thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nehemiah77: 12:56pm On Jun 08, 2019
dwilliams707:
Please can I schedule an appointment before i submit my ds-160?

Yes you can. Copy out your Ds 160 number and fill your appointment form with it. Then ensure you submitt your Ds 160 4days to your interview.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gernny(f): 12:56pm On Jun 08, 2019
dreambound:

It happened to me too..upload your passport as prompted by the system, and in 24 hours your portal would be good to go for appointments.
Just call the embassy they will rectify it.They did mine immediately last week.Same issue.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 1stdami(m): 1:10pm On Jun 08, 2019
Why is it that most people don't like to share the name of their school in the transcript they write especially if they get full funding. I think sharing it will go a long way in helping people target generous schools

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by jhulee: 1:29pm On Jun 08, 2019
I was interviewed by the same VO as @Leone26.

I've heard before that each VO has her/his own approach to interviewing. The VO in question, I observed, focused on your (current and perhaps previous, if any) DS-160 records and would often capitalize on aspects that appear to raise a flag. Case in point: I watched a man that appeared to be in his 50's get denied because he could not explain why he spent 2 months in the States when his (previous!) application had shown that he would be spending only a few weeks. I guess it took him by surprise. I also watched another man struggle to explain an extended stay (not overstay) even though it seemed to have been for a genuine (medical?) reason, or so I thought I heard. He was denied too. While these may have been B1/B2 instances, the same VO was involved (I think), and as you'll see in a bit, her approach to an F1 case was approximately the same.

It also seems––and this is only an opinion, albeit based on what I've heard before––that in most cases, the applicant's "fate" is often decided (perhaps algorithmically (hello, it's 2019)) even before she/he appears for the interview (dunno, but running a visa status check shows that one's "case" is "created" only a few days prior to the appointment date, then updated at the end of the interview). Further emphasis on "most cases." The other cases, I heard, are the ones that are hard to decide without an interview; that's when a successful outcome is 50-50. Perhaps that explains why the VO had predetermined that she would need that many (pink) rejection sheets and so few white ones. Perhaps it's just statistical expectation or a combination of both.

On to the anecdote you're probably waiting for....

Oh, before that I'd like to state here that I'm maybe paranoid about social media and privacy; writing this puts me way outside my comfort zone in this regard, regardless of anonymity. As such, I may redact some details that I consider even the most remotely personally identifiable. I apologize in advance. I don't exactly recall verbatim the questions I was asked (or the order thereof), same for the responses I provided (I didn't quite get enough sleep the previous night). What I seem to recall better are my concurrent thoughts. That being said, I will try to describe the session to the best of my (current) ability.

Moi: (Steps in front of the VO, don't recall saying hello.)
VO: Pass me your passport (then notices my I-20)... and your I-20.
VO: (Scans my passport, looks up at her screen, starts to type a couple of seconds later.)
VO: (Continues to type for longer than I expected.)
Moi: (Okay... this had better be good; at least, it shows a different pattern from what I have so far witnessed––she's not asking me questions right off the bat.)
VO: (Continues to type. Still doesn't say a word to me!)

The VO typed for what appeared to be like forever; all the while she did not say a word to me. Not a single question. I suppose time dilates when you're standing in front of a VO but it did seem as if she'd typed for what was the duration of a typical interview. No, I'm not kidding (but consider the psychological context).
Here's what I think was going on: She had observed that I've had a B1/B2 in the past and was trying to make the usual verifications, plus she was taking time to diligently scan my current application (as @Leone26 mentioned, she gives back to you the exact information you filled in the DS-160).
Further context: I spent more than 5 years (junior-mid management) at an American MNC here in Nigeria, have a fairly decent travel history (Europe, US, UK), have not worked since 2017 (since I'm crazy enough to take sufficient time off to focus on career change/prepare for grad school; no, not really––it's what I believe God wanted/led me to do, however unpopular that may seem), and I did not hesitate to make all that information available (including the "unemployed" part) on my DS-160.
Back to the interview....

Moi: (Oh no, I just changed posture. I hope she doesn't think I'm beginning to get impatient. Gotta look well behaved here.)
VO: (Fetches my I-20 and continues to type. She appears to be copying information from the document. She eventually speaks.)
VO: How did you get to know about this school?
Moi: Online research (no, I don't think I said more than that).
VO: What other schools did you apply to?
Moi: (I mentioned 2 other schools. VO did not ask me if I got accepted at those schools).
VO: (Types on. At some point, she places my I-20 on the stack of pink papers as she typed, still picking information from the document.)
Moi: (Thank God! Looks like she's not gonna need any one of those pink papers for me.)
VO: What's your highest qualification?
Moi: Bachelor's degree. (She'd asked about my major; I mentioned one of the mathematical sciences.)
VO: Do you have family in the US?
Moi: No.
VO: I see you were awarded a Graduate Assistantship... what will your responsibilities be?
Moi: I'll be a Teaching Assistant, and... (VO cuts in).
VO: Teaching Assistant? What will you do as a Teaching Assistant?
Moi: I will teach and prepare labs––computer science labs. I will also be assigned to a faculty mentor to conduct research in any one of these areas: Software testing, Programming Languages, Big Data Analytics, and Cognitive Computing, depending on her/his area of research.
VO: (Types on as I said that last part; not sure she was listening.)
VO: I see you're unemployed.
Moi: Yes, I'm taking time off to focus on my career change goal....

This part, this very part, was the only anxiety-inducing part of my entire application. For what it's worth, I am genuinely taking time off to focus on changing fields and to prepare for grad school. However, I am not sure how the average Nigerian or American would perceive this. Could I have done this in spite of a day job? Maybe, but I don't think so; it's not my achievement style. Plus, I don't do ordinary anymore. Life for me begins at the extra mile. Extraordinary focus, time, and sheer hard work. I place a premium on the ability to build intuition about fundamental concepts and to skilfully synthesize insight in novel ways. In fact, I've had to turn down several opportunities to "return to Egypt" (for those who know the Bible) since week 1 of my self-styled sabbatical. No, it wasn't always easy, and I guess I do not need to tell you that it wasn't a welcome decision with quite a few people either.

VO: Where were you employed before then?
Moi: (Relieved that she actually didn't see being unemployed for that long as a big deal. By the way, I'll attribute that to sheer divine favor. Don't care if you try to water it down smiley.)
Moi: I was <insert role> at <insert American MNC> for about 6 years.
VO: What position did you hold?
Moi: (Told her. Seems she was checking my DS-160 for confirmation all along.)
VO: (Types on, for a long time. At some point, she pauses to read through what she'd typed. She looked satisfied with herself smiley)
VO: (Changes tone unexpectedly from indifferent to stern, a tone that instantly reminded me of previous sessions I had witnessed, where she promptly dished out denials.)
VO: Why change fields now?

Allow me to say, I was somewhat shaken up. My fluency took a bit of a hit––I was briefly inarticulate. My heart raced and apparently, so did my speaking pace.

Moi: (I start to explain, intent on being as convincing as possible.)
VO: (Cuts in. Don't recall what she said here but she thought I was saying too many things too quickly (obviously!) and needed me to take it slow.)
VO: No offense, but can you summarize what you've just said? (I was relieved!)
Moi: I've always wanted to be involved in technology. I was hired into the <insert business-related field> function of <insert American MNC> but found myself gravitating towards core tech aspects of business. In fact, I worked much outside my major area of responsibility... (don't recall what else I said, sorry, but I'd previously attempted to give examples of technical work I did developing tools from scratch, before she cut in).

Turns out it was a false alarm. It seemed she was simply trying to document my responses. It seemed she'd determined early on to approve my visa. Thank you, Jesus!

VO: How will you fund the cost not covered by the Graduate Assistantship?
Moi: Out of pocket. I have personal funds.... (GA and Out-of-State tuition waiver cover 2/3 of the ~$40k 9-month COA and I-20 shows that I will fund the rest myself. Note that the VO did not ask to see a bank statement.)
VO: Give me a moment (she steps away from her post).
Moi: (Oh yeah, this is looking good... I think.)
VO: (Returns with a few copies of EducationUSA pre-departure orientation information sheet. Apparently, she hadn't kept any with her, perhaps because she wasn't expecting to give out more that day. She removes one, tucks the rest away... she picks up the coveted white paper. grin)
VO: (Says something about approving my visa.)
Moi: Thank you. (Oh no, should I really have said that? I bet she'd merely done her job; she wasn't doing me no favor.)
VO: (Starts to say something about my "original I-20." She was emphatic. I guess it was the usual POE speech.)
Moi: (I didn't quite hear what she was saying, perhaps it was the rush of positive emotion.)
VO: (Nods and smiles at me. All of a sudden, she seemed like a friend who has your best interest at heart, not kidding.)
Moi: (I was elated.)
VO: Pick up your passport...

At this point, my legs had begun to move, I must confess. She was still speaking; I didn't catch the last thing she said. For a split second, after I had left her window, I thought she'd have the CGI guy call me back so she could complete what she was saying.

Sometime after I got home, I ran a visa status check and my application was on Administrative Processing. I did that again earlier today and... "Issued."

Yesterday I mentioned the place of prayer. I wasn't just referring to firefighting, or to prayer that began at some point before or after I applied for the F1 visa. I believe God does process, not magic. I was referring to the place of prayer when I joined an American MNC years ago, when I got to go on my first overseas trips (sponsored by the same organization), when I got to apply for a B1/B2 armed with an "American MNC" job home tie plus some travel history, and when I got to add even more travel history––just because I could then afford personal trips.

What's the upshot here? My F1 visa success story was apparently years in the making. God doesn't just answer prayers because you prayed; no, you don't get to use Him to achieve selfish ends. As far as answered prayer is concerned, your lifestyle counts.

Everyone has a message, and I hope I just got mine across.

God bless you!
I think this is the first post I’ve read word for word, from beginning till end. You got me. God bless you too

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 1:43pm On Jun 08, 2019
martinz1:

No, you submit before schedule

Point of correction.
You can book before submitting DS 160.
And that's even advisable.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 1:45pm On Jun 08, 2019
1stdami:
Why is it that most people don't like to share the name of their school in the transcript they write especially if they get full funding. I think sharing it will go a long way in helping people target generous schools
My dear we don talk am tire sote spit dry for mouth.Some no dey hear word. If you post the name of your school, you no go die, dem no go withdraw your admission or collect your funding. If you dey fear say people go dey send you message upandan, that one no be wahala, abi you sef no kukuma send other people message when you dey do the waka, abi you na Victoria island?
Ok, even at that, no be must say you must reply message or connect with people wey dey go your school or wey wan go your school.Just release the information make you for help another person ministry. Just post the name of the school and other academically relevant information for goodness sake. Infact I don vex, who cook Saturday beans grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2019
Milkshakes01:
Please wait while your transaction is processing grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2019
dreambound:

Yes o.. grin shawarma we've been looking forward to your transcript grin
The subscriber you are calling is currently switched off grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2019
Brown2Green:

Point of correction.
But before scheduling, you are asked to make sure uv submitted ds160 on the site, that's y I suggested it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 2:33pm On Jun 08, 2019
martinz1:

But before scheduling, you are asked to make sure uv submitted ds160 on the site, that's y I suggested it

Ok
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dwilliams707: 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2019
Brown2Green:

Point of correction.

Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dwilliams707: 2:41pm On Jun 08, 2019
Nehemiah77:

Yes you can. Copy out your Ds 160 number and fill your appointment form with it. Then ensure you submitt your Ds 160 4days to your interview.
m
Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dwilliams707: 2:41pm On Jun 08, 2019
dreambound:

No, you'll need your DS160 confirmation no. to make the app.
Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dwilliams707: 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2019
martinz1:

No, you submit before schedule

Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by justwise(m): 3:27pm On Jun 08, 2019

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (533) (534) (535) (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.