Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,711 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (795756 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CapitoneMax(m): 9:00pm On Sep 02, 2018
Hello, did you go with a reference letter from your bank when you had your initial interview?
GahiaO:
Well, mine is still on AP. Got a mail last Wednesday saying, I should submit an official cover letter authorizing my bank to release pertinent Account information to United States Embassy in Abuja to enable it conclude the process of my visa application. My sponsor’s SOA from an financial investment Company. I have done what they have asked. I contacted the investment Company but they said the embassy has not gotten to them yet. So I still de wait.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ibromotion(m): 1:13am On Sep 03, 2018
I need your advice on this one. I've been admitted to my school of choice in the United State but I'm yet to go for my F1 Visa interview because I haven't even register for it due to some personal reasons. The school resumption date in my i-20 is on the 1st of October... I just want to know the consequence if I go for the interview days before the resumption date. Urgent response please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Humble11: 5:16am On Sep 03, 2018
Ibromotion:
I need your advice on this one. I've been admitted to my school of choice in the United State but I'm yet to go for my F1 Visa interview because I haven't even register for it due to some personal reasons. The school resumption date in my i-20 is on the 1st of October... I just want to know the consequence if I go for the interview days before the resumption date. Urgent response please.

Lol when do you think you supposed to go. It’s already getting late. F1 visa can be issued 120 days to program start date and you can resume 30days to your program start date. Hurry now and apply for your f1 visa interview.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kenzygist: 6:31am On Sep 03, 2018
GahiaO:
have you been issued your visa finally?

Still under Administrative Processing till now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ifyalways(f): 7:32am On Sep 03, 2018
Hello all. I'm still stuck on this questions .

1. Please list all courses you are taking this academic year. If you are not currently enrolled, please list courses from your most recent academic year.(Options of number 1 to 15) does this mean the number subjects he sat for in WAEC Or i should leave that space blank?

2. Please select the course scheduling system your institution is using (Options of semester, Trimester and quarter)

3.Course title (Does this mean the subjects he sat for in WAEC?)

4. Course Level (Options of Honors, High Honors, Intensive,None, International baccalaureate, Pre-IB)

5. Course Schedule (Option of full year, First semester and second semster)

PS : Applicant is applying for undergraduate course and have only WAEC result, seating for SAT IN Oct
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ibromotion(m): 8:03am On Sep 03, 2018
I understand f1 visas are issued 120 days before resumption date but the question is, what are the consequences if I go for the interview days before the resumption date. Thanks
Humble11:

Lol when do you think you supposed to go. It’s already getting late. F1 visa can be issued 120 days to program start date and you can resume 30days to your program start date. Hurry now and apply for your f1 visa interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kenzygist: 8:21am On Sep 03, 2018
Ibromotion:
I understand f1 visas are issued 120 days before resumption date but the question is, what are the consequences if I go for the interview days before the resumption date. Thanks

There's no consequences attached to it. It is advisable to schedule your visa appointment as soon as you receive your I-20 or as early as possible so that you can stand the chance of reapplying should in case you are denied a visa. Please save yourself then pressure and tension of being placed on Administrative Processing when you no longer have time on your side by scheduling your visa appointment as early as possible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ibromotion(m): 8:27am On Sep 03, 2018
Thank you very much
kenzygist:

There's no consequences attached to it. It is advisable to schedule your visa appointment as soon as you receive your I-20 or as early as possible so that you can stand the chance of reapplying should in case you are denied a visa. Please save yourself then pressure and tension of being placed on Administrative Processing when you no longer have time on your side by scheduling your visa appointment as early as possible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ibromotion(m): 8:37am On Sep 03, 2018
Why did you choose Digital media production?

I am passionate about the course and want to gain more knowledge in it, there are not many expert in this field here in Nigeria, so I believe the knowledge I obtain while studying in New England institute of technology will help me stand out once I return Nigeria and it's going to be a great boost to my career....

I just want to know if that response is okay for such question.
PS - I already have HND in mass communication and I'm going for Associate degree in Digital media production....thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kenzygist: 8:39am On Sep 03, 2018
Blesso222:
You can contact your account officer to check if your is the one delaying the process. I work as a contact center consultant with a bank in Nigeria, a particular embassy sent a SOA for us to verify, but due to backlogs no one responded to the email. The embassy decided to call, I happened to pick the call and I ensured I contacted the customers home branch and responded to the embassy within 4hours verifying the authenticity. Liaise with your bank to see if that is pending with them.

Is it possible for the bank to reveal an applicants account balance to the consulate during verification?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MyAmericandream(f): 9:14am On Sep 03, 2018
Blesso222:
Does applying to only one University reduce my chances of getting visa when ask during interview?

Secondly I applied for MSC without GRE and TOEFL because the school doesn't require it will that also affect my chances of getting visa when ask?

One love house.
Which school please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by AyLuxury(m): 9:47am On Sep 03, 2018
freshStarz:

Is there not something like discount. By Mafit is allowing 50k promo
I want one of 45k
I just got an info from BY Mafit that the next available test date for GRE in Lagos is November 5th. I wonder what's wrong.
I was actually hoping to take the test and submit my result before Spring admission dealine which is Nov 2nd.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ibromotion(m): 9:54am On Sep 03, 2018
Please I need a response to this question asap. Thanks
Ibromotion:

I am passionate about the course and want to gain more knowledge in it, there are not many expert in this field here in Nigeria, so I believe the knowledge I obtain while studying in New England institute of technology will help me stand out once I return Nigeria and it's going to be a great boost to my career....

PS - I already have HND in mass communication and I'm going for Associate degree in Digital media production....thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by tboy47(m): 10:09am On Sep 03, 2018
okay sir..thank you,,u said its better i go to waec head office, u didnt say its mandatory...so if atall, can i decide to go their zonaloffice wich wil b more closer? also dou you have an idea of how much it will cost ?
Enasdan:
go to WAEC head office is better, but have to go with your statement of result and your personal certificate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ibromotion(m): 10:41am On Sep 03, 2018

PS - I already have HND in mass communication and I'm going for Associate degree in Digital media production....thanks.quote author=kenzygist post=70855654]

There's no consequences attached to it. It is advisable to schedule your visa appointment as soon as you receive your I-20 or as early as possible so that you can stand the chance of reapplying should in case you are denied a visa. Please save yourself then pressure and tension of being placed on Administrative Processing when you no longer have time on your side by scheduling your visa appointment as early as possible. [/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 03, 2018
ifyalways:

1. Please list all courses you are taking this academic year. If you are not currently enrolled, please list courses from your most recent academic year.(Options of number 1 to 15) does this mean the number subjects he sat for in WAEC Or i should leave that space blank?

2. Please select the course scheduling system your institution is using (Options of semester, Trimester and quarter)

4. Course Level (Options of Honors, High Honors, Intensive,None, International baccalaureate, Pre-IB)

PS : Applicant is applying for undergraduate course and have only WAEC result, seating for SAT IN Oct

To the best of my knowledge ,prone to be corrected tho ...
Course as reffered to here means college courses ... Which might have been that you have previously responded yes to a question that states probably 'did he attended any college ' (this might not be the exact way it was asked )
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Adhheir: 11:57am On Sep 03, 2018
Anyone studying currently or could refer me to someone at NIU? I need help pls.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kenzygist: 12:28pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ibromotion:

I just want to know by if that response is okay for such question.

If Digital Media Production is under Mass Communication then you should be good when you say you need an expertise in that field. Based on my judgement, your response is good but research further about Digital Media Production so as to have a more clear objective of your career plan. The visa officer may ask you to tell him more about Digital Media Production and how it will help you in life.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kenzygist: 12:33pm On Sep 03, 2018
Blesso222:
Does applying to only one University reduce my chances of getting visa when ask during interview?

Secondly I applied for MSC without GRE and TOEFL because the school doesn't require it will that also affect my chances of getting visa when ask?

One love house.

Please don't make this mistake of applying to only one school... Apply to more than one school and take at least one standardized test, GRE preferably. These will definitely increase your chances of getting your visa approved. GRE also give you the opportunity to scholarships and on campus employment, don't miss it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by twittycutey(f): 12:51pm On Sep 03, 2018
Fikky1:
send me a pm
I would need this too, send to sennugataiwo607@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Robert6708: 2:31pm On Sep 03, 2018
How is applying to one school a mistake? You can tell someone to apply to more than one school to boost their chances, but it’s not a mistake applying to one schl. For scholarships GRE may come in handy, but GRE would not get you an on-campus employment. What will get you an on campus employment is your resume and how well you sell yourself if invited for an interview.
I don’t know how hard it is for us to paint the true picture, all this generic conclusions on the true state of affiars irks me. Everything will keep looking like rocket science, when u get visa you’ll realize it’s not even half as serious and people make it seem here. It is well. Happy Labor Day cheesy

kenzygist:

Please don't make this mistake of applying to only one school... Apply to more than one school and take at least one standardized test, GRE preferably. These will definitely increase your chances of getting your visa approved. GRE also give you the opportunity to scholarships and on campus employment, don't miss it.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by tactmayor: 3:24pm On Sep 03, 2018
Please guys, I need to pay my application fee and Nigerian bank mastercard and visa cards are not going through. Who can help please. It is very urgent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by freshStarz: 4:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
AyLuxury:

I just got an info from BY Mafit that the next available test date for GRE in Lagos is November 5th. I wonder what's wrong.
I was actually hoping to take the test and submit my result before Spring admission dealine which is Nov 2nd.

I dunno about that
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2018
papilo90:
Apologies for posting this long write up.

Now these are my questions
1) When mailing faculty members for graduate positions and they ask for my GPA, can I use the 3.41/4.0 GPA to seek for supervisors or should I use the normal 3.95/5.0 that I have on my official transcript.
NB- the wes evaluation is unofficial.
2) if I were to use the normal 3.95/5.0 GPA, how will schools convert it to their own scale of 4.0.
I don't plan to apply to any school that requires evaluated transcript.
3) I know we have WES US, and WES Canada, but the igpa calculator I used is WES US, will the result be the same for that of Canada, I couldn't find any link for WES Canada igpa calculator.
4) with a good GRE score, can I get a direct PhD with the 3.41/4.0 UG GPA (animal science)

Thanks to you as I anticipate your answers

Q1: I take from your post that you're going for a PhD programme. First off, most schools that offer funding will give it to you upon admission and usually do not require a separate application for funding. You should clarify this with the department. Faculty members may interview/discuss with you to determine if you're a good fit to work with them before deciding to give you admission. Schools usually frown at sending materials to faculty members.

Q2: If you are applying to programmes that do not require evaluation of your transcript, then there's no way that you can know how they do the conversions. However, it's usually not that much different from WES. It may be slightly higher or lower.

Q3: If it's US programmes that you're applying to, I really don't understand why you're looking at WES Canada. From my experience, US schools usually don't accept WES Canada evaluation.

Q4: A very good GRE score with a cGPA of 3.41, as well as a well written personal statement and excellent letters of recommendation will make your application profile look very good. Also, any form of research (published research paper preferred) will boost your chances. Your final year project could also help. If you can also link your current job to your interested research area, it will make for a very good profile.

Lastly, some programmes are easier to get a direct PhD than others. I'm not familiar with animal science, but if you check the schools website, you should be able to clarify that. Better still, you can send an email to the programme director for clarification.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2Smile(m): 5:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
ifyalways:

To the best of my knowledge
1) The most recent academic year should be SS3. Thus, the courses here should be those the student took in SS3/WAEC.

2) Nigeria uses three(3) terms in a year, so it should be Trimester.

3) The title of the courses in 1 above.

4)I don't know, but none will work here.

5)Full year. The SS3 final exam and WAEC is based on a full year's work.(Actually 3 years of study)

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 7:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
Timotee:

Q1: I take from your post that you're going for a PhD programme. First off, most schools that offer funding will give it to you upon admission and usually do not require a separate application for funding. You should clarify this with the department. Faculty members may interview/discuss with you to determine if you're a good fit to work with them before deciding to give you admission. Schools usually frown at sending materials to faculty members.

Q2: If you are applying to programmes that do not require evaluation of your transcript, then there's no way that you can know how they do the conversions. However, it's usually not that much different from WES. It may be slightly higher or lower.

Q3: If it's US programmes that you're applying to, I really don't understand why you're looking at WES Canada. From my experience, US schools usually don't accept WES Canada evaluation.

Q4: A very good GRE score with a cGPA of 3.41, as well as a well written personal statement and excellent letters of recommendation will make your application profile look very good. Also, any form of research (published research paper preferred) will boost your chances. Your final year project could also help. If you can also link your current job to your interested research area, it will make for a very good profile.

Lastly, some programmes are easier to get a direct PhD than others. I'm not familiar with animal science, but if you check the schools website, you should be able to clarify that. Better still, you can send an email to the programme director for clarification.

Very apt response. As for Q3, WES Canada is different from WES US however, you can get them to transfer your transcripts to each other for $70 and it saves you the stress of going back to school to order new transcripts. This excludes the charges for evaluation though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by felixboye1(m): 8:24pm On Sep 03, 2018
New U.S. Visa Policy Affects International Students
Wednesday | August 29, 2018 | by Melissa Mace

F-1 student visa
Over a million international students will start or continue studies in the U.S. this year. If you are one of these students, it is important to understand the nonimmigrant visa policies and procedures as they continue to change. Recently, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a component of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, issued a revision to a policy that could impact you. Keep reading to see what you need to know about this policy.

What Is the New Visa Policy?
Updates to regulation 8 CFR 103.2(b)(cool will take effect on September 11, 2018, but what exactly is this regulation? In short, this is the regulation that determines the criteria for USCIS to issue a Request for Evidence (RFE) or Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) if you do not provide all the necessary visa information up front. In addition, the new policy memo gives the USCIS adjudicator “full discretion to deny applications, petitions, or requests” without requesting additional evidence.

This means that it is important to get your visa application right the first time, and to include all of the necessary information and documents upon filing.

How Will the New Visa Policy Affect International Students?
For F-1 student visa applicants and visa holders, the policy could have an impact at the initial visa interview. You could also be affected you if you are applying for:

Work authorization based on economic hardship: If you are experiencing extreme economic hardship, you may apply to USCIS for authorization to work off campus.
Reinstatement: If you allow your F-1 visa to become out-of-status, then you must apply for reinstatement to regain valid status.
What Can International Students Do to Be Prepared for This New Policy?
Being prepared and diligent is the key to successfully obtaining and maintaining your visa. At the initial visa interview, the officer will consider the following points to determine visa approval:

Do you have an original, signed Form I-20 issued by an educational institution in the United States?
The Form I-20 will be mailed to you by the college or university you plan to attend.
Are you able to demonstrate that you have enough funds to study in the United States?
Have your bank statements or bank letter and any forms required by the educational institution with you to prove you have sufficient funds to study in the U.S.
Do you know why you want to study in the U.S. and why you want to study at the university you selected?
Come to your interview prepared to explain the reasons or motivation behind why you decided to study in the U.S.
Do you have ties to your home country that make the officer confident you will return after you complete your education?
Providing evidence of your intention to return home is very important. For example, do you own land? Will you take over a family business? Do you have family who count on you to return?
For current F-1 visa holders who find it necessary to apply for a hardship waiver to work off campus, visa reinstatement, or anything else that requires adjudication, completing the application in full and providing all the necessary evidence at the time of application will be key to a successful application. The policy revision clearly states the adjudicator is not required to issue an RFE and can deny your application for incomplete information. Do not let that happen to you!

Final Tips
Although it is important to stay up-to-date on the changing U.S. immigration policies, do not let this modified policy discourage you. On the contrary, the fact that over one million international students are already studying in the U.S. should inspire you!

If you have questions about this new policy, reach out to the U.S. university or college where you intend to study. For additional information, you can visit the following U.S. government websites, which are valuable resources for international students looking to study abroad in the U.S:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by paroh137(m): 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2018
Fikky1:
send me a pm
Can I get it too please? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by paroh137(m): 10:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
EncephalonPikin:
Thumbs up on the great work going on here. Two years back, I was seeking help concerning undergraduate admission into U.S schools and I was advised by Walspring and Lagosismyhome at the time(i.e @ part 10 of this thread). I was 16 then and I was seeking full-time ride scholarships as my parents aren't financially buoyant. I was told I had to score high on the SAT cos my high school GPA isn't so impressive(3.38) while my waec GPA is 3.33, unfortunately I performed poorly(1150/1600). I went on to apply in an attempt to see what could happen, I got admitted into some colleges (Elmira college, University of New Hampshire,Unity college,University of Southern Mississippi, St John's College- can't remember the rest),with insufficient scholarships. The highest fund I got was from Elmira College, a $108,000 presidential scholarship but the school was too expensive as I still had $27000+ to pay per year and I didn't have a dime. I got other minor scholarships from other schools but they were all less than $20000.
I tried again last year since I learnt that SAT validity was 5 years but I kinda knew it was a futile attempt. I desire to retake the SAT but there are no funds.
I am now 18 and in a Nigerian University(200L currently studying an Engineering course) and I still have desire to go through the process once more.
Will it be better to count my losses and try again when I graduate(i.e MSC) or do I keep hoping a break-through would come somewhere and I'll be able to retake the SAT?
Thanks for your time
CC: Bigfrancis21, walspring, lagosismyhome and other well meaning nairalanders...

Honestly bro, I would advise you to take your current studies like your life depends on it. Like if you don't study people are gonna kill you in cold blood. Read until your eyes fall out. Seek leadership positions, make the most of your time here and graduate with great grades. I personally feel it's better to go to US on a Master's than as an undergrad.

PS I wish someone had told me this when I was in year 2. Oh well.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by paroh137(m): 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2018
ifyalways:

Hello I'm sorry I don't have the answers to the questions you posed guy I need to ask you a few questions. Can you text me on Whatsapp? "080eight 5 seveneight 12 oneseven" it's really important please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by paroh137(m): 11:08pm On Sep 03, 2018
AyLuxury:

please how do I contact this by mafit

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.