Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (796883 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2019
Develpeast:
Please someone should give me a straight and definite answer to this question. Do I stand a chance of getting my visa application approved as I have not travelled to any other country before?

You stand a chance. Prepare very well for the interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Develpeast: 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2019
KingStefan:
Ofcourse!
Travel history doesn't matter for an F1 application.

Thank you bro. I saw something on youtube saying stuff like that and it got me really off.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 5:15pm On Jun 01, 2019
Develpeast:

Thank you bro. I saw something on youtube saying stuff like that and it got me really off.

You must have confused it with B category Visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by TokeOlawunmi: 5:20pm On Jun 01, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have an uncle that is giving me a statement of account from his business account.

What supporting documents do I need to get from him. Also, I intend to fill his name in my DS160. Hope it won't be an issue since the name of the account would be the business name.

Please help, I need your advise.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 5:20pm On Jun 01, 2019
mayorall:
I will love to do my MBA (master in business administration) in USA. Please enlighten on good school to study this and fees...Requirements, etc. my maximum budget is $10,000. Thanks.
Mayorall baba of shipping! Well you would have to take the GRE or GMAT if you do well you can get juicy scholarships. I haven’t seen any MBA program that is $10k dollars + living expenses. Take a look at university of UTAH and other schools. If you can do well in your GRE/GMAT you can get fully funded. Wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by mayorall(m): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2019
CuteRedd:
Mayorall baba of shipping! Well you would have to take the GRE or GMAT if you do well you can get juicy scholarships. I haven’t seen any MBA program that is $10k dollars + living expenses. Take a look at university of UTAH and other schools. If you can do well in your GRE/GMAT you can get fully funded. Wish you the best.

Boss, just trying to gain more knowledge on how to serve customers better.

Please what should be my average budget... Thanks for your help..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Stanmedix: 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2019
Alright then. Pm me
ogieforum:

I have been admitted too.
I am in the process of applying foi I120 form
Please lets hook up.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Develpeast: 5:31pm On Jun 01, 2019
Brown2Green:

You must have confused it with B category Visa.
No bro, I was going through some youtube videos about the f1 visa interview and the lady said exact thing i typed up there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 5:34pm On Jun 01, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hello everyone,

I have an uncle that is giving me a statement of account from his business account.

What supporting documents do I need to get from him. Also, I intend to fill his name in my DS160. Hope it won't be an issue since the name of the account would be the business name.

Please help, I need your advise.

Thank you

Its fine to use your uncle's details as long as there is a document stating your uncle as accessible to the funds he is making available for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 5:35pm On Jun 01, 2019
Develpeast:

No bro, I was going through some youtube videos about the f1 visa interview and the lady said exact thing i typed up there.

The only rule binds visiting Visa. That the US cannot be the first country of visit.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lalavita: 5:43pm On Jun 01, 2019
I joined this thread a few years ago at a time when I did not have defined plans for graduate school.
However, I have been uplifted by the positive stories even beyond visa approvals.
Thank you to everyone who keeps this thread going.

Approved Visa transcript - F1 and F2

Background
Masters in a non-STEM course
Full Funding - Covered all my costs entirely. However, a deficit was created when I added dependents. This was listed as Dependent Costs on my i20.

NOTE: For my school to issue your i20, you need to transfer the total amount due to be covered into a US Dollar Account in your name at a bank which has a commercial presence in the United States. So basically an American Bank like Citibank, Bank of America etc…
I found it interesting. Let’s see if more American schools start doing the same in the future.

Ready
I felt I had a strong case due to the quality of my program and ties to Nigeria from my job, however, I was concerned about my US ties such as child and sibling as well as travelling with my spouse/family. That aside, I ensured that I did the following.

Prayed - Very important for me

DS160 - I dedicated quality time to completing this. I reviewed it several times to ensure that it was completely correct and complete before submitting. I will say it took me 3 days to fill this form lol. I completed it but kept going back to re-read to ensure correctness and completeness. My spouse did the same as well.

I know some people who have funding have asked this question. For the question on who is funding your trip, I put the school rep and school address.
Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, my form did not have the previous education question.

Documents - I got a multi-segment folder and put all relevant documents in different easy to locate categories.
For example, the essentials such as passport, SEVIS receipt and i20 were in the main segment while other “might ask” documents (this came in handy later) were in other segments.

Interview
The pre-screening was smooth.

So I was feeling nervous during the pre-screening but once I got to the finger-printing, I became very very relaxed and when I got to the VO, I was actually excited and looking forward to the chat.

Why are you going to the United States?
To complete my Masters Degree in Governance, Policy...

I see you have a scholarship…
Yes, I have full funding. It covers all my tuition and costs

Why do you want this degree?
Me: (Excited and smiling - I’m passionate about what I am studying so I was looking forward to sharing my story.)

I joined the non-profit sector in 2014 and since that time, I have experienced first-hand the massive impact the non-profit sector and the private sector has on communities in Nigeria.
However, I have also seen the massive gaps and issues that can only be solved by the government/public sector intervention. I am pursuing this degree to build my expertise, expand my network and capacity for impact in this sector.

(Looks at spouse) Says; You are accompanying...
Yes

I see you have several B1/B2s, what’s the longest time you have spent in the US?
3 Months, when I went to give birth.

Have you presented your receipts?
I have not had the opportunity to.
Here you go…(Gave him receipts)

VO typed for a very long time. In my mind, I was like, let this VO ask me more questions LOL but he kept typing. I had been looking forward to the interview for so long that I was just so over-eager to answer questions lol

Do you have more children?
No

Your visa has been approved.
You will get an email when it is ready. You’ll these documents (i20) when you arrive.

That was it.

Even though we had so many other documents we felt may be requested.
Visas have been picked up.

In terms of advice, I would say, be honest, transparent and well prepared.

Side Note
I see a lot of STEM students with full funding. Well done everyone! There are brilliant people on here!
Full funding isn’t limited to STEM. In my sector, government/policy etc… I know international students who have gotten full funding recently from the following. I know these are very competitive programs but with a high GRE, solid GPA, references and great personal statements, if this is your area of interest, you can do it.

WWS at Princeton - All admitted students are given full funding
UC San Diego - GPS - I know someone who got a fully funded offer this year
George Washington - Trachtenberg - I know someone who got a fully funded offer last year
NYU Wagner - I know 2 people who have been fully funded over the recent years
Harvard Kennedy - If you are a quant superstar (Economics or Stats or Mathematics) - try the MPA/ID. This is a good alternative career path for a math or econs whiz who doesn't want to go down the traditional PhD route.
Michigan - Ford
Georgetown - McCourt
Sanford at Duke

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by TokeOlawunmi: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2019
Brown2Green:

Its fine to use your uncle's details as long as there is a document stating your uncle as accessible to the funds he is making available for you.

Thank you for your response.

Should this statement be from the company's letter headed paper or from the Bank. Thank you.

Or is it preferable that I can use the company's name in my DS 160.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 5:52pm On Jun 01, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:

Thank you for your response.

Should this statement be from the company's letter headed paper or from the Bank. Thank you.

Or is it preferable that I can use the company's name in my DS 160.

Thank you

Is it the company funding you or your uncle ?
Why would a Company fund you?
I just explained to you what to do.

Use the company's letterhead.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 01, 2019
lalavita:
I joined this thread a few years ago at a time when I did not have defined plans for graduate school.
However, I have been uplifted by the positive stories even beyond visa approvals.

Thank God! And congratulations!
Btw, what school would that be please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sheke01: 7:24pm On Jun 01, 2019
kinibd:

do you happen to be at st. Clouds? Tell me something about the indians lol.

Nope, am at Cleveland state. These Indians are everywhere here. My classes are predominately Indians about 85-90%. Most times am the only black or one of the two or three blacks in a class of 50.

St Cloud State won't be any different because I reviewed an article some group of Indian students from SCSU wrote last semester.

Even the statistics for Green card through H1B tells the sad Indian story. The have to wait for 10-15 years before they get green card via H1B route

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 7:27pm On Jun 01, 2019
Brown2Green:

The only rule binds visiting Visa. That the US cannot be the first country of visit.

That's not true. You can also get a visiting visa without being to other countries. It's just that chances are higher if you have.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Stanmedix: 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2019
Good day everyone.Thank you all for what you doing here. This trend is very informative,I've learnt a lot.

Please I have few questions.
I got admitted with GA for MPH program starting August thus year. The GA came with Full tuition waiver and little stipends per semesteer. I have a deficit of $12.650(4.4million naira).
1, Can my distant uncle's SOA with different surname/ tribe as mine be used for the deficit.
2, I am really tensed as my interview is drawing closer, what are my chances and how will i strengthen my chance?
3, Any other useful tips will be well appreciated as this is my first.
Thanks in anticipation!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2019
lalavita:

What school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by juliouze: 7:44pm On Jun 01, 2019
Good evening house, I got admission for fall 2019 but no tuition waiver or any form of funding, please I'll appreciate any form of help or advice as to how to prepare for my interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sheke01: 7:44pm On Jun 01, 2019
Amyfid12:
Good morning lovely people. It's been a week i was denied visa at the US embassy in Abuja. To say i was devastated is an understatement. I thank God for the support system i have in terms of family and friends that encouraged me that all things will work together for my good. I had to come out here to get advice on how i went wrong. I applied to 6 schools, 5 admits and all for Masters in Public health. They offered me admission without funding. I reached out to them but there was no assurance i will be given a GA position. I decided to go for West Chester University, Pennsylvania and the total amount on my I-20 is $29,525. My aunt who resides in US is my sponsor. I prepared well for my interview and ensured my documents were complete. Below is my interview transcript on 24th May:

ME: Good morning
VO: Good morning, pass me your passport and I-20
ME: Sure
VO: Why did you choose this school?
ME: I chose this school because i'm interested in an ongoing research by Prof xxxx on xxxxxxx. Also, the school mandates it's MPH students to complete a 6 credits, 300 hours community service course called Bleep. ( The VO cuts in)
VO: What do you do?
ME: I'm a pharmacist working with xxxxxxxxx
VO: Who is your sponsor?
ME: My aunt by name xxxxxxxxx
VO: types for some seconds and handed a green paper to me, that it will explain my denial of Visa.

All these, didn't last up to 5 minutes. I was shocked because i expected questions on Why US? Why MPH? What are your plans after the MS program? Can i see your SOA? which she didn't ask me.
Please, where did i go wrong? Mind you, i didn't stutter cos i prepared well for this interview. My school starts in August and i don't know what to do.

This sounds familiar to my case last year. I was denied after just 2-3 questions. My first interview didn't last up to 2mins before I received the dreaded blue paper. Most peeps will come here and tell you this and that is the reason why you were denied but most times its not.

I almost didn't want to apply for another interview until friends and family asked me to and I got it easily on the second attempt, then I realised something afterwards. The US is all about money, even their embassy. Sometimes they just refuse people visa just to see if they will spend money and apply again. They are as much interested in generating money as much as any other business venture.

So I will give you the same advice I received last year. If you have dotted your I's and crossed your T's, dust yourself and apply again. This is another opportunity to get it. Write test even if it's for embassy sake.

Pray as if it depends on prayer. I prayed for a test inclined VO or an IT course inclined VO and i got interviewed by a test inclined VO. That was favor (some peeps may say otherwise). I wasn't the best candidate on the day I got my visa but I got it because the VO was impressed that I wrote GRE twice. That's what prayer can do for you.

All in all, don't listen to peeps that say your refusal was due to your sponsor living in the US. That was how they told me my denial was because I was switching my course of studies. My second VO didn't even ask about it.

Give it another try and put in all you've got, it is worth it or at least the fact that am about to watch the UEFA champions league final without the noise of generator makes it seems like all the stress i went through for this journey was worth it grin

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 7:54pm On Jun 01, 2019
sheke01:

This sounds familiar to my case last year. I was denied after just 2-3 questions. My first interview didn't last up to 2mins before I received the dreaded blue paper. Most peeps will come here and tell you this and that is the reason why you were denied but most times its not.

I almost didn't want to apply for another interview until friends and family asked me to and I got it easily on the second attempt, then I realised something afterwards. The US is all about money, even their embassy. Sometimes they just refuse people visa just to see if they will spend money and apply again. They are as much interested in generating money as much as any other business venture.

So I will give you the same advice I received last year. If you have dotted your I's and crossed your T's, dust yourself and apply again. This is another opportunity to get it. Write test even if it's for embassy sake.

Pray as if it depends on prayer. I prayed for a test inclined VO or an IT course inclined VO and i got interviewed by a test inclined VO. That was favor (some peeps may say otherwise). I wasn't the best candidate on the day I got my visa but I got it because the VO was impressed that I wrote GRE twice. That's what prayer can do for you.

All in all, don't listen to peeps that say your refusal was due to your sponsor living in the US. That was how they told me my denial was because I was switching my course of studies. My second VO didn't even ask about it.

Give it another try and put in all you've got, it is worth it or at least the fact that am about to watch the UEFA champions league final without the noise of generator makes it seems like all the stress i went through for this journey was worth it grin

If you want to give advise give . You're not in the position to tell her who to listen to . No rule is cut in stone.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 7:58pm On Jun 01, 2019
Stanmedix:
Good day everyone.Thank you all for what you doing here. This trend is very informative,I've learnt a lot.

Please I have few questions.
I got admitted with GA for MPH program starting August thus year. The GA came with Full tuition waiver and little stipends per semesteer. I have a deficit of $12.650(4.4million naira).
1, Can my distant uncle's SOA with different surname/ tribe as mine be used for the deficit.
2, I am really tensed as my interview is drawing closer, what are my chances and how will i strengthen my chance?
3, Any other useful tips will be well appreciated as this is my first.
Thanks in anticipation!

Which one is distant uncle?
Uncle is enough.
Don't start causing problems for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Stanmedix: 8:29pm On Jun 01, 2019
Noted. Thanks
Brown2Green:

Which one is distant uncle?
Uncle is enough.
Don't start causing problems for yourself.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by nigeriaschoolne(f): 8:32pm On Jun 01, 2019
jossywayne:

Sorry for the denial. First mistake you make is not to get a funding from the school that gave you the admission. Try and get fund and apply again. All the best to you. Which embassy do u went to?

The Gombe state university is ready for her new intakes. If you are interested in joining the trail of intelligent students over there, click https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/gsu-post-utme-registration/ to get idea of their cut off mark. Also, to check your admission status, click https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/gsu-admission-list/ to get the full gist.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2019
nigeriaschoolne:

The Gombe state university is ready for her new intakes. If you are interested in joining the trail of intelligent students over there, click https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/gsu-post-utme-registration/ to get idea of their cut off mark. Also, to check your admission status, click https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/gsu-admission-list/ to get the full gist.
grin grin grin lmao
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 9:20pm On Jun 01, 2019
nigeriaschoolne:

I smell sarcasm.
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sillysassysally(f): 10:17pm On Jun 01, 2019

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by IAMANGELMICHAEL(m): 10:38pm On Jun 01, 2019
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 01, 2019
US now seeking social media details from all visa applicants. shocked

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The State Department is now requiring nearly all applicants for U.S. visas to submit their social media usernames, previous email addresses and phone numbers. grin

https://news.yahoo.com/us-now-seeking-social-media-details-visa-applicants-150538187--finance.html
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 01, 2019
Bleck08:

Vo: good morning
Me: Good morning
Vo: why are you going to the Us?
Me: I am going to the us to study for a masters in petrophysics with a major in geophysics and seismology at tamuk
Vo: oh Texas A$M, I'm an alumni
Me: really, what campus
Vo: college station
Vo: so why petrophysics
Me:my final thesis was carried out in a rural area, I was exposed to the situation of the rural communities and I was surprised to see they their only source of water was a river, I made enquiries and I found out it was due to lack of funds. My goal is to develop cheaper well technologies ensure environmental sustainability ( I don't think I said it like this but this was the gist, I was carried away by the Vo's friendliness)
Vo: who is your sponsor (I had no scholarship)
Me: my uncle

Vo: what does he do
Me: he is an estate developer
She asked for my plan after school, I said I'd be taking up a lecturing job at my alma matter

My interview was after my resumption date, I took an extension letter, Vo didn't ask, as I wanted to tell her, she brought out the blue paper

BOLD 1:
You gave a very weak response. Talk about how the degree will give you that rare skills that will make you valuable in the Nigerian labor market. The more details about the rare skills you provide, the more refined your response will be.

BOLD 2:
Your uncle or aunt sponsoring 100% of your cost of attendance is a red flag

BOLD 3:
A few minutes ago you said you wanted to create new technologies for the community. Now, you are saying you want to be a lecturer.

Please work on your draft and practice as much as you can. In addition to this, you should try and avoid distractions when you appear for visa interviews. You paid over 50K naira for a 2 minutes interview and you should be there for business (and business only). You allowed the VO get into your head and then you became relaxed and screwed yourself up. It is better to keep a serious face (even when the VO is trying to be friendly), and get your visa approved than to relax and screw yourself up.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by veinless(f): 11:11pm On Jun 01, 2019
good day,
pls i just paid for sives fee and am yet to complete my visa application, my school resumes august for fall 2019, pls can i stil get a favorable appointment date or am i late already?
kindly advise
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 11:27pm On Jun 01, 2019
veinless:
good day,
pls i just paid for sives fee and am yet to complete my visa application, my school resumes august for fall 2019, pls can i stil get a favorable appointment date or am i late already?
kindly advise

Why wouldn't you get?
Book the closest date and then wait for another closer date later on then reschedule.
You can only reschedule once .

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.