Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! - Travel (175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! (454315 Views)

Writing CIMA For Express Entry?? Lets Meet Here! / Travelling To Russia For The 2018 World Cup Let’s Meet Here / Those Intending To Travel Out, Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by aurorae1: 4:37pm On Jan 19
Dauphine:

Little update:

I eventually got through to the exam centre over here and their price is the same as last year, I guess they are not getting a lot customers 😄 so I decided to do the exam with them when I get back from my vacation so I can buy myself more time. Thank you for the assistance

Cc: aurorae1

I'm glad you were able to get through to them.
Congratulations in advance on your exam!

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Silvaplum: 6:42pm On Jan 21
I sent a mail to you over a week now, kindly respond.

thelma76:

She does private classes for me, not sure what other services she offers beyond this. I think you can take the test on Kwiziq French. Although, the one she sent to me was different, I have to check for the link and share. Yes that’s correct, 4months and 1 week to get to beginner B2.

No I didn’t attend AF. I was just consistent with Duolingo and thought I had definitely passed A1. We falsely assume sometimes what the distinctions are between each niveau.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 6:45am On Jan 22
Let me address the misconception that I have just read in the previous posts. You cannot do a simple online test and conclude that you are B1... no! You need to be tested in 4 areas (speaking, reading, listening and writing) and achieve a competence of B1 for you to claim that you are at a B1 level.

French isn't only about grammar and reading, the other skills are necessary. I repeat, nobody starts from "bonjour" (no French knowledge) and gets to a "true B1" level in 4 months! Of course, you can get to a B1 level in grammar (and maybe reading) in 4 months, but getting to a "true B1" level in 4 months while living in an anglophone country like Nigeria, while also having a full-time job, is virtually IMPOSSIBLE!

Alliance Française conducts DELF B1 exams, so if anybody believes that their "magic French teacher" can take them from "bonjour" to B1 in 4 months, please sit for the DELF B1 test (it is way cheaper than TCF/TEF), and you would definitely get "slapped with reality" ... except all those comments are just "marketing gimmicks", then they already know the truth!

If you are thinking of learning French, "set the proper expectations" and know that the brunt of the work must be done by you. There is no magic teacher who can take you to B2 level in 5 months... it is all marketing.

All the stories you read about where the person says I had French classes with Monsieur zzz or Madame yyy and now I got B2+ after 5 months are almost always DISTORTED! They have all have been studying French for several months before engaging a tutor.

These unrealistic stories will always appeal to some of us because these French teachers know that we are really motivated, nay desperate to "japa".

4 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Oluwatosinosa(f): 1:46pm On Jan 22
79733139:
Mr. Okoro, who messaged me on WhatsApp around 2 hours ago about the TEF books, send your e-mail again, I deleted our chat without noting down your e-mail.

EDIT: He has done so.
please I will appreciate if I can get TEF books . Thank you so much in advance in helping a sister.

Here is my email oluwatosinosadare@gmail.com
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 3:23pm On Jan 22
Oluwatosinosa:
please I will appreciate if I can get TEF books . Thank you so much in advance in helping a sister.

Sent.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by wememore03: 3:30pm On Jan 22
Oluwatosinosa:

Please can you forward the Textbooks to me as well, Thank You in advance

My Email is adebisioluwawememore@gmail.com
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by thelma76(f): 7:00am On Jan 23
Silvaplum:
I sent a mail to you over a week now, kindly respond.

Apologies but I don’t have access to that email any longer sad kindly text here
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 7:17am On Jan 23
Okay, let's assume you are a genius or you are at the upper end when it comes to "knowing how to learn", the main issue is you and NOT a "magic teacher"... let me assume everything you wrote is true, less than 5% of the population is on that level, so it is unrealistic for "regular people" with a full-time job living in Nigeria to advance super fast.

I said something like this in 2022, guys please if you are thinking of learning French or you have just started learning French "Be very WARY of unrealistic stories!" - They are almost always just marketing gimmicks pushed by "magic teachers". The stories are always DISTORTED to promote the businesses of the "magic teachers".

thelma76:

Lmaooo just in case you’re subbing me, know that I have taken TCF prep tests multiple times and my b2 has been validated especially with CE and CO. So while this debunking you do every two business days is great for expectation management, know that some of us have pushed ourselves to the absolute limit of learning. I learnt management accounting purely for this journey with a science background alongside a 9-5. There is nothing I cannot learn and in record time, especially when I’m burning my hard earned money for it. So please rest. Let them start the journey, if in 5months they can’t get to that level, they should continue learning and practicing. Not sure what the negative energy and pessimism is about

It’s not a new fact that we are all different people, with different learning abilities. Anyone who assumes his journey is same with another is probably naive.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by thelma76(f): 7:24am On Jan 23
79733139:
Okay, let's assume you are a genius or you are at the upper end when it comes to "knowing how to learn", the main issue is you and NOT a "magic teacher"... let me assume everything you wrote is true, less than 5% of the population is on that level, so it is unrealistic for "regular people" with a full-time job living in Nigeria to advance super fast.

I said something like this in 2022, guys please if you are thinking of learning French or you have just started learning French "Be very WARY of unrealistic stories!" - They are almost always just marketing gimmicks pushed by "magic teachers".

Oga rest. Nobody ever said my progress was solely because of another person’s teaching ability. I give myself due credit. However, I’m letting people know what IS possible. You’re focusing on what IS NOT. How does that ever help the type of audience we have here (often people who have exhausted other means of raising their CRS scores and are looking for a way out). There are people who have learnt with other tutors and grown at a much slower pace and upon switching tutors or learning methods, they picked up. So yes, tutors with great teaching skills should be appreciated and recognized.

If that hurts your little ego and idle schedule, sorry.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 7:43am On Jan 23
Okay, the oga has rested and my ego has been killed.

BOTTOM LINE: Guys, be wary of these unrealistic tales! I have seen a lot of these gimmicks since around 2022. If you are going to advance super fast, you will need to be in the right conditions... no "magic teacher" will do that for you. If anyone puts unrealistic stories here again hyping their super fast achievement due to one "magic teacher"... I will call it out (my ego will have ressurected by then).

I will not reply anymore, I have made my point perfectly clear to people interested in learning French or those who have just started learning it.

EDIT: Their marketing gimmick has been on even before 2022. The next time it is done, I will point it out and explain the basic pattern.
thelma76:

Oga rest. Nobody ever said my progress was because of another person’s teaching ability. I give myself due credit. However, I’m letting people know what IS possible. You’re focusing on what IS NOT. How does that ever help the type of audience we have here (often people who have exhausted other means of raising their CRS scores and are looking for a way out). There are people who have learnt with other tutors and grown at a much slower pace and upon switching tutors or learning methods, they picked up. So yes, tutors with great teaching skills should be appreciated and recognized.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Awesomemama: 8:39am On Jan 23
thelma76:

Oga rest. Nobody ever said my progress was because of another person’s teaching ability. I give myself due credit. However, I’m letting people know what IS possible. You’re focusing on what IS NOT. How does that ever help the type of audience we have here (often people who have exhausted other means of raising their CRS scores and are looking for a way out). There are people who have learnt with other tutors and grown at a much slower pace and upon switching tutors or learning methods, they picked up. So yes, tutors with great teaching skills should be appreciated and recognized.

I agree with u. As much as you as a student have to put in alot of work, a great teacher pointing you in the right direction and guiding you does a whole lot of good.

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by thelma76(f): 9:29am On Jan 23
Awesomemama:

I agree with u. As much as you as a student have to put in alot of work, a great teacher pointing you in the right direction and guiding you does a whole lot of good.

Thank you. Besides, nobody ever forced anyone to patronize a particular resource or teacher. There are tons of tutors, use anyone you like but KNOW that it is possible to improve your proficiency in a certain window. Nobody said it would be easy or guaranteed with a certain tutor but it’s possible.

Final note: there is a difference between someone who knows how to speak French, someone who knows how to teach French and someone who has mastered training students to a certain proficiency for specific reasons. Do your research. Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Silvaplum: 1:01pm On Jan 23
kindly check your mail

Oluwatosinosa:

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by shizzy7(f): 4:55pm On Jan 23
79733139:

I said something like this in 2022, guys please if you are thinking of learning French or you have just started learning French "Be very WARY of unrealistic stories!" - They are almost always just marketing gimmicks pushed by "magic teachers". The stories are always DISTORTED to promote the businesses of the "magic teachers".

you've been on and about discouraging people on this thing while you're also marketing yourself. Everyone's assimilation pace is different, you can't just conclude that some things are not possible within a specific period of time - that's your own notion.

There are no specific time frames to learning these things whoever has unrealistic expectations should also handle the results whether good or bad.

3 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 5:31pm On Jan 23
shizzy7:
you've been on and about discouraging people on this thing while you're also marketing yourself. Everyone's assimilation pace is different, you can't just conclude that some things are not possible within a specific period of time - that's your own notion.

There are no specific time frames to learning these things whoever has unrealistic expectations should also handle the results whether good or bad.

My stance has always been "getting to B2+ in all four disciplines while living in Nigeria with a full-time job in 5 months starting from the scratch" is UNREALISTIC... it almost never happens! That particular outrageous claim has been on this thread as far back as 2021 when I was learning French to take the TEF exams.

I always tell the truth to anybody who contacts me for coaching or tutoring... we will do our best but "set the right expectations if you spend 8am - 5pm at a job" and use every available time to learn.

I don't tell lies... I am straightforward, you need coaching from someone who has passed the TEF? Contact me... that's all. I neither fabricate stories or distort things nor use extra usernames to market/advertise. I am as honest and as direct as it can get, I learnt French, sat for the TEF exams twice and now I am willing to coach people pending the time I get ITA and immigrate to Canada.

If you stay in Cotonou, Bénin taking lessons with a regular French tutor and studying full-time, you will be amazed at your progress (this is the perfect condition that can help anyone advance super fast)... I have said this on multiple occasions.

There is a difference between discouragement and pointing out marketing gimmicks. This French journey has its difficulties, so we have "magic teachers" who exploit on that to make outrageous claims by crafting ridiculous stories.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by suzzyrims: 10:03pm On Jan 23
Good evening people. How can I pay for prepmyfuture in Nigeria?
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 10:22pm On Jan 23
suzzyrims:

If you have a dollar Mastercard or Visa card, that's an option. Or tell a close friend who lives abroad to help you pay (this is what I did). Naira Mastercards and Visa cards no longer work for international purchases.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Enculer2: 3:04am On Jan 24
As you prepare for your TEF, please try to learn French to the best of your capacity.

You do not know where you would utilise it in the end.

Do not learn it just for the exams....

5 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Enculer2: 3:07am On Jan 24
suzzyrims:

Can someone not share their access with you? I would if I had access.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by olabanji88(m): 8:22am On Jan 24
79733139:

My stance has always been "getting to B2+ in all four disciplines while living in Nigeria with a full-time job in 5 months starting from the scratch" is UNREALISTIC... it almost never happens! That particular outrageous claim has been on this thread as far back as 2021 when I was learning French to take the TEF exams.

I always tell the truth to anybody who contacts me for coaching or tutoring... we will do our best but "set the right expectations if you spend 8am - 5pm at a job" and use every available time to learn.

I don't tell lies... I am straightforward, you need coaching from someone who has passed the TEF? Contact me... that's all. I neither fabricate stories or distort things nor use extra usernames to market/advertise.

If you stay in Cotonou, Bénin taking lessons with a regular French tutor and studying full-time, you will be amazed at your progress (this is the perfect condition that can help anyone advance super fast)... I have said this on multiple occasions.

There is a difference between discouragement and pointing out marketing gimmicks. This French journey has its difficulties, so we have "magic teachers" who exploit on that to make outrageous claims.
Dear sir

Someone who has finished the babel app ( in 6 weeks ) also I read some text books in between can read and understand ( except when there some big words in tenses I have never seen ) and write a little my listening is very bad I can’t hear except it’s very slow and I take a while to digest what steps can take going forward to brush up my listening and speaking in the mean time
(am open to criticism and negative feedback I like it hot )

PS plan on taking 3 weeks leave in march for full time training

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 8:52am On Jan 24
Hello,

1.) Have you studied a grammar text book back to back like "Schaum's Outline of French Grammar"? Although grammar isn't part of the TEF tests, if you haven't achieved an intermediate level of mastery in it, your score will be affected in the writing and speaking tests. And learning grammar deliberately helps your comprehension (both reading and listening).

2.) For the listening, since you are at the basic stage, download the FrenchPod audios and transcripts (I uploaded an image with the link in one of my previous comments)... and listen to all of them starting from the "Newbie" audios. You need to listen several times to rewire your brain to be able to understand "fast spoken French". The transcriptions will help you a lot because the English translation for each line of dialogue is right below each French transcription. Eventually, you will have to move onto listening to a lot of TEF listening tests and answering the questions.

3.) As for speaking, you will need a teacher with whom to practice the TEF questions regularly. You have to tailor your speaking abilities to what you will say in the exam. There are a lot of YouTube videos for the speaking test which will definitely give you ideas to use when practising with a tutor, however you will still need to put in hours of practice before you can become a confident and true B2+ speaker.

There is no "magic" involved... just a lot of dedication and doing things in a smart manner. The goal is not learn the whole French, the goal is tailor your learning towards what you will encounter in the TEF exams.

olabanji88:
Dear sir

Someone who has finished the babel app ( in 6 weeks ) also I read some text books in between can read and understand ( except when there some big words in tenses I have never seen ) and write a little my listening is very bad I can’t hear except it’s very slow and I take a while to digest what steps can take going forward to brush up my listening and speaking in the mean time
(am open to criticism and negative feedback I like it hot )

PS plan on taking 3 weeks leave in march for full time training

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by suzzyrims: 10:12pm On Jan 24
79733139:

If you have a dollar Mastercard or Visa card, that's an option. Or tell a close friend who lives abroad to help you pay (this is what I did). Naira Mastercards and Visa cards no longer work for international purchases.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by suzzyrims: 10:14pm On Jan 24
Enculer2:

Can someone not share their access with you? I would if I had access.

I could not find anyone with access. Thanks
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 12:12pm On Jan 25
Normally I don't advise using French films/tv shows to improve listening comprehension because you are not going to answer questions immediately after watching and they are meant for entertainment (so I tend to see it as an ineffective use of your time if you want to write fluency exams like TEF or TCF), however, if you want to take a break from "serious active listening", I recommend using TV shows like this one called "Extra French" on Youtube. It's way better than watching English premiership, LaLiga or WWE (for guys like me) or those TeleMundo, ZeeWatch stuff for relaxation.

If your reading skills are a bit decent, then my general advice to get the best from this TV show is:

1.) Watch Episode 1 with the subtitles on and try to get the general meaning.

2.) Watch Episode 1 again but this time, jot down all the words and sentences with which you are not familiar, and also indicate the timestamp. After, doing that, use Google Translator to get the meaning and write it in your jotter/notebook.

3.) Watch Episode 1 a 3rd time again with your jotter in hand, this time you should be anticipating hearing the new words whose meaning you have previously learnt.

Skip to Episode 2 and repeat the process until you get to the Episode 13 which is the final episode.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Silvaplum: 7:26pm On Jan 25
FRENCH EXTRA **

79733139:
if you want to take a break from "serious active listening", I recommend using TV shows like this one called "Extra French" on Youtube. It's way better than watching English premiership, LaLiga or WWE (for guys like me) or those TeleMundo, ZeeWatch stuff for relaxation.

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 7:39pm On Jan 25
Silvaplum:
FRENCH EXTRA **

The narrator in the TV show just says "Extra", while on YouTube, it is titled as "Extra French", there is also "Extra German" and "Extra Spanish". And they all have the same storyline.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by 79733139(m): 8:44am On Jan 27
For beginners, check out that Google drive link, I downloaded some of the books (and audios) back then when I was starting out. The link is still active.

njbybrthnly:
@etrange

My own ban expired yesterday. Nairaland spam bot abeg allow us to write in french o...we're trying to learn the language. In my own case, the post was even in English undecided

Download TEF study materials here

They are mostly grammar and vocabulary books but I found the alter ego books especially helpful.
Most of the materials here are from DelPiero at canada visa

P.S. some materials are still uploading thanks to my superslow internet connection but hopefully before the end of the week.... embarassed

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by TimIron: 11:35am On Jan 28
Thanks. I've been on the Duolingo app for close to 3 months now, I will be learning grammar as my next step. I downloaded a beginner grammar book from the link. I also have French grammar for dummies book.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by aurorae1: 6:58pm On Jan 28
TimIron:
Thanks. I've been on the Duolingo app for close to 3 months now, I will be learning grammar as my next step. I downloaded a beginner grammar book from the link. I also have French grammar for dummies book.

Good job TimIron. I know it's a challenge but I will forever advice a beginner to have a tutor, simply for the structure and added advantage of corrections. If you already do, that's great.
Bonne continuation...

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by rs172(m): 9:37pm On Jan 28
aurorae1:

Good job TimIron. I know it's a challenge but I will forever advice a beginner to have a tutor, simply for the structure and added advantage of corrections. If you already do, that's great.
Bonne continuation...

Good evening aurorae1, je passerai l’examen tcf canada prochaine Mois, mais je voudrais vous poser une question, est-ce que le tcf canada repete leurs questions?

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (182) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.