Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,687 members, 7,820,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! (457557 Views)

Writing CIMA For Express Entry?? Lets Meet Here! / Travelling To Russia For The 2018 World Cup Let’s Meet Here / Those Intending To Travel Out, Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (183) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Mummychichi: 9:57pm On Feb 25, 2019
ayboye:
OMG, I'm really sorry everyone. I was also supposed to share some tools I used but I've been extremely busy hence the silence.

I do read the thread once in a while, I just don't respond.

My TEF result:
Reading B2
Listening B2
Writing C1
Speaking B2

The tricky thing about TEF is no matter how good the result of the different competences look, a low score in one part can spoil the whole fun.
My B2 in Reading and Listening are CLB 6, meaning I am not able to get the extra points.

Hi @ayboye this is a really good result even though it didn't give sufficient points. Am i right to say you got 11 points for this? Is this sufficient for your ITA?

All the best. Bonne chance!
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 8:54am On Feb 26, 2019
Hope these scores are enough to get ITA. If not, just keep at it and success is sure. Wishing you all the best
ayboye:
OMG, I'm really
sorry everyone. I was also supposed to share some tools I used but I've been extremely busy hence the silence.

My TEF result:
Reading B2
Listening B2
Writing C1
Speaking B2

The tricky thing about TEF is no matter how good the result of the different competences look, a low score in one part can spoil the whole fun.
My B2 in Reading and Listening are CLB 6, meaning I am not able to get the extra points.

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 1:09pm On Feb 27, 2019
Yea I got 11 points which is actually not sufficient but fortunately I have other options through job offer, thanks.

Mummychichi:

Hi @ayboye this is a really good result even though it didn't give sufficient points. Am i right to say you got 11 points for this? Is this sufficient for your ITA?

All the best. Bonne chance!
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 2:58pm On Feb 27, 2019
This is a very useful post, thanks @njbybrthnly for sharing these tips!

I did not do a single writing exercise while preparing for my TEF and I still managed to get C1 for that competence. The secret is to obey certain rules when writing Essay in French. These are the four things I focused on for Section B of Written Expression:

1. Draw up a plan for the essay.
2. Writing Logic .i.e. Dialectic Dissertation (more on this later)
3. Never write below the minimum required words, which is 200.
4. Clearly present your points with simple sentences with a few subjonctive tenses but avoid spelling and grammatical errors as much as possible.

Disclaimer
Please note that I did not just start learning French but I have not used the language extensively for a very long time.
These tips are not necessarily perfect but they worked for me.

1. Plan: Before I start my essay I first put down my points. The instruction usually indicates that you should support your view with a minimum of three points so don't go below that, each point per paragraph. This helps to avoid hitting a road block and wasting precious time.

2. Writing Logic: Order of thoughts is not presented the same way in French as it is in English. I will recommend you read this article (https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/how-to-write-an-essay-in-french) for full details and especially the Dialectic Dissertation style, which is the same explained in @njbybrthnly's post quoted below. This to me is actually the big one because whoever is marking your essay will see that you truly know how the French writes.
Also use those logical connectors that @njbybrthnly mentioned and you should be golden.

3. Respect The Minimum Words: Please write a minimum of 200 words as recommended, you are allowed to continue writing at the back of the answer booklet.

4. Avoid Spelling and Grammatical Errors: It is better to express your views in simple but clear manner than making errors due to overly complex words/tenses. The subjonctive tense will also score you more point but please master how to accurately use it.

I hope I have been able to help someone here.

njbybrthnly:
Hi Scard,

Well, at first I studied several TEF writing samples which I found on YouTube (Enseignement de FLE channel especially), the TEF books and prepmyfuture.

As suggested by @Bellerin earlier, for the first section, read lots of faits divers articles online. Some popular French journals are le parisien, le monde and figaro. A simple Google search will lead you to their websites.

For the second section, prepmyfuture was indispensable to me because I observed from the examples given that the required letter had a standard format. First, unlike in IELTS, you don't write only the body of the letter, the complete letter is expected starting from the addresses. So you need to learn how the French write formal letters (unlike IELTS again, the letter is always formal unless they change the test format sometime in the future). The introduction and conclusion you can memorise embarassed and tweak it to align with the question on exam day (hope this makes sense).

For the body of the letter, learn the use of logical connectors like d'abord, de plus, d'une part...d'autre part, toutefois, en revanche, etc. You also need to learn some useful phrases that can be used to drive your point home like tout en reconnaissant que..., c'est un fait connu que, etc. Again, a simple Google search of french logical connectors will yield lots of materials

In the letter, you're to express your opinion on a particular topic. You can agree, disagree or both and you need to present at least 3 points to buttress your point (I chose to agree and disagree because I couldn't think of 3 points for or 3 points against). Either way, it is very important to note that your opinion must be stated clearly in the introduction and your points validate your opinion (what I mean is don't say you agree with the writer in your introduction, then present points that both agree and disagree in the body of the letter. Pick one and stick with it)

I think the most important thing is for your write-ups to flow logically and avoid grammatical errors. Then, of course, make sure you meet the word count.

Hope this helps. Will look for some documents I have on logical connectors and upload them later

20 Likes 11 Shares

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 3:11pm On Feb 27, 2019
Bellerin:

Good points.

Which platform did you previously?

Perhaps an email address where people can submit their writing attempts for correction might be useful.

I think whatsapp may help with instant feedback as regards Speaking.

As for reading and listening, I'm scratching my head to think of a suitable helpful platform.

Sorry for digging up old posts.

www.italki.com is good for written expression because there is a community section where others can review your write-ups and offer corrections as needed.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 27, 2019
ayboye:

I did not do a single writing exercise while preparing for my TEF and I still managed to get C1 for that competence. The secret is to obey certain rules when writing Essay in French.

These tips are not necessarily perfect but they worked for me.

2. Writing Logic: Order of thoughts is not presented the same way in French as it is in English. I will recommend you read this article (https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/how-to-write-an-essay-in-french) for full details and especially the Dialectic Dissertation style, which is the same explained in @njbybrthnly's post quoted below. This to me is actually the big one because whoever is marking your essay will see that you truly know how the French writes.
Also use those logical connectors that @njbybrthnly mentioned and you should be golden.

I hope I have been able to help someone here.

njbybrthnly:

In the letter, you're to express your opinion on a particular topic. You can agree, disagree or both and you need to present at least 3 points to buttress your point (I chose to agree and disagree because I couldn't think of 3 points for or 3 points against). Either way, it is very important to note that your opinion must be stated clearly in the introduction and your points validate your opinion

Very interesting to hear you say (from the blog) exactly the same as NJ..i.e. develop an argument for....then develop an argument against...then conclude...NJ was doing it because she couldn't think of 3 pros or 3 cons (I think)....but little did she know that it is a french style of writing....later she will say she is not a wiz kid....I appreciate you both so much....I'm overwhelmed with gratitude because you guys have opened my eyes to something crucial that I was missing....seriously....

EE had been my nemesis..... No more by God's grace. Thanks Ayboye...thanks NJ...and to everyone else (Bellerin, Mariah, DanMisla) too your tips are adding up.

3 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by DexterousOne(m): 4:19pm On Feb 27, 2019
ayboye:
OMG, I'm really sorry everyone. I was also supposed to share some tools I used but I've been extremely busy hence the silence.

My TEF result:
Reading B2
Listening B2
Writing C1
Speaking B2

The result looks good to me.

Are they expecting us to score C1 all through?

Which kind thing be that?

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by DexterousOne(m): 4:21pm On Feb 27, 2019
So what level do I need to have to claim maximum points from tef as French as a second language?

Thank you
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 27, 2019
DexterousOne:
So what level do I need to have to claim maximum points from tef as French as a second language?

Thank you

CLB 7 and above in all 4 areas gives 30 extra points.

In addition:

CLB 5 or 6 gives only 1 point each.
CLB 7 or 8 gives 3 points each.
CLB 9 and above gives 6 points each.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 6:22pm On Feb 27, 2019
Wow...thanks ayboye. This post is really enlightening. Very succinctly put

ayboye:

I did not do a single writing exercise while preparing for my TEF and I still managed to get C1 for that competence. The secret is to obey certain rules when writing Essay in French. These are the four things I focused on for Section B of Written Expression:

1. Draw up a plan for the essay.
3. Never write below the minimum required words, which is 200.
4. Clearly present your points with simple sentences with a few subjonctive tenses but avoid spelling and grammatical errors as much as possible.

Disclaimer

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2019
ayboye:

Sorry for digging up old posts.

www.italki.com is good for written expression because there is a community section where others can review your write-ups and offer corrections as needed.

Mercii..et pour vos tuyuax aussi.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 6:30pm On Feb 27, 2019
Yea you're right @ the bolded.

But errm, you forgot to thank Scard for asking the question in the first place, because I don't think these points would've come up without it.

Rooting for you still. Good luck in your next exam

Mamaroon:

Very interesting to hear you say (from the blog) exactly the same as NJ..i.e. develop an argument for....then develop an argument against...then conclude...NJ was doing it because she couldn't think of 3 pros or 3 cons (I think)....but little did she know that it is a french style of writing....later she will say she is not a wizz kid....I appreciate you both so much....I'm overwhelmed with gratitude because you guys have opened my eyes to something crucial that I was missing....seriously....

EE had been my nemesis..... No more by God's grace. Thanks Ayboye...thanks NJ...and to everyone else (Bellerin, Mariah, DanMisla) too your tips are adding up.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 27, 2019
njbybrthnly:

But errm, you forgot to thank Scard for asking the question in the first place, because I don't think these points would've come up without it.

Iyooooo! My bad! Thanks Scard!!!! Your question produced an answer that was under my nose but which I didn't fully grasp....it was only after AY repeated it using big grammar (dialectic dissertation) that it became crystal clear to me.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 27, 2019
njbybrthnly:

Thanks!!!
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by DexterousOne(m): 7:06pm On Feb 28, 2019
Mamaroon:

CLB 7 and above in all 4 areas gives 30 extra points.

In addition:

CLB 5 or 6 gives only 1 point each.
CLB 7 or 8 gives 3 points each.
CLB 9 and above gives 6 points each.

Please what are the range of scores that corresponds to CLB 7 for each of the 4 competencies

Like is it 269-320?

Or what range?

Thanks

So I know what to work towards
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 28, 2019
DexterousOne:

Please what are the range of scores that corresponds to CLB 7 for each of the 4 competencies

Like is it 269-320?

Or what range?

Thanks

So I know what to work towards
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Scard: 10:17am On Mar 01, 2019
Well done everyone for your various contributions to this group. It continues to be a tremendous source of help to me, and I'm sure so many others.

So, I have been able to break down the writing into bite size using the Section B format.

Name and address of both sender and recipient
Solid introduction and conclusion
Use of connecting words
Arrangement of Paragraphs.

For the above, I would say I am making good progress. However, the only major challenge now is the actual sentence construction. I am realising that writing single simple sentences is far different from writing complex sentences that forms an essay or journal. I pray I am able to get around that pretty quickly.

njbybrthnly:
Yea you're right @ the bolded.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Cremebrulee: 3:46pm On Mar 01, 2019
Good afternoon everyone, please how much is it to register for TEF exams.

Also is there any alternative to alliance francaise? They come across as pricey...
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 01, 2019
AF YABA have moved to Raymond Njoku, ikoyi

0705 228 8002 ikoyi or 0705 248 8002 ikeja
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 6:09pm On Mar 01, 2019
Scard:

For the above, I would say I am making good progress. However, the only major challenge now is the actual sentence construction. I am realising that writing single simple sentences is far different from writing complex sentences that forms an essay or journal. I pray I am able to get around that pretty quickly

My only suggestion would be to read sample french essays and letters. That can guide you on how to write yours.

The Competences books on expression ecrite and comprehension ecrite have some samples.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 01, 2019
Cremebrulee:
Good afternoon everyone, please how much is it to register for TEF exams.

Also is there any alternative to alliance francaise? They come across as pricey...

No. I don't think so
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Mummychichi: 2:34pm On Mar 02, 2019
ayboye:
Yea I got 11 points which is actually not sufficient but fortunately I have other options through job offer, thanks.

How did you get/process the job offer?

Did French play any role in this?
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Prettiepearlz(f): 5:59pm On Mar 02, 2019
Good evening sirs/mas,
I need help here, after weeks of trying to reach Alliance Francais (Unknown to me, I was calling their old number and it kept telling me switched off, fortunately I got the new contact from their Facebook account). I called the Ikeja branch to ask for the exam fees in which the lady who attended to me told me that it cost 160k so I then ask how long it would take me to learn French so as to be able to write the exam and pass because the last time I studied French was in secondary school, she then said 3 years because I have to do Beginner, Intermediary and Advanced level before I can take the exam and be sure of passing. I was surprised and besides the money for the classes isn’t a small thing, because it will be Saturday classes, she said I will pay 38k for the first 6 weeks, 25k for the next 6 weeks and 22k for the next 6 weeks classes and for subsequent 6 weeks till I finish the three stages then I can write the exam. My people that’s too much for me in terms of funds and years. Please is her information true? Do I have to learn for three years to pass the exam? Can’t I learn for 6 to 9 months?

Cc Mamaroon
Njbybrthnly
Etrange
Scard
Ayboye

Please help!!!

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 02, 2019
Prettiepearlz:
Good evening sirs/mas,.......... I then ask how long it would take me to learn French so as to be able to write the exam and pass because the last time I studied French was in secondary school, she then said 3 years because I have to do Beginner, Intermediary and Advanced level before I can take the exam and be sure of passing. I was surprised and besides the money for the classes isn’t a small thing, because it will be Saturday classes, she said I will pay 38k for the first 6 weeks, 25k for the next 6 weeks and 22k for the next 6 weeks classes and for subsequent 6 weeks till I finish the three stages then I can write the exam. My people that’s too much for me in terms of funds and years. Please is her information true? Do I have to learn for three years to pass the exam? Can’t I learn for 6 to 9 months?

Cc Mamaroon
Njbybrthnly
Etrange
Scard
Ayboye

Please help!!!

I think they were just giving you the schedule of how they move from one level to the next e.g. A1 to B1 etc. It doesn't have to take you 3 years. I would suggest you do some self assessment (since you have done secondary school French) and determine your level then decide on next steps. Below is a quote from NJ with some TEF tests and practice questions and in the last 2 folders....it may take 6 months at a mininum though if the aim is CLB 7 in all 4 areas.....this is my guess...you may even decide to attend the AF TEF prep classes for a month and if you can cope with those then your level is definitely not beginner....... All the best...

njbybrthnly:

Some study materials for the TEF can be downloaded here

They are mostly grammar and vocabulary books but I found the alter ego books especially helpful.
Most of the materials here are from DelPiero at canada visa

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 02, 2019
Mummychichi:

How did you get/process the job offer?

Did French play any role in this?

Ayboye...curious about this too because of how stringent the LMIA seems to be. Please advise us
...maybe this is the way for low CRS scorers....that's 200 points extra right?
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Prettiepearlz(f): 8:31pm On Mar 02, 2019
Mamaroon:

I think they were just giving you the schedule of how they move from one level to the next e.g. A1 to B1 etc. It doesn't have to take you 3 years. I would suggest you do some self assessment (since you have done secondary school French) and determine your level then decide on next steps. Below is a quote from NJ with some TEF tests and practice questionand in the last 2 folders....it may take 3 to 6 months at a mininum though if the aim is CLB 7 in all 4 areas.....this is my guess...you may even decide to attend the AF TEF prep classes for a month and if you can cope with those then your level is definitely not beginner....... All the best...

Thank you ma’am I appreciate this. Yes I am aiming for CLB 7 and I can’t classify my knowledge of French from my secondary days as a knowledge because I didn’t do anything with it again and the hustle to come of university with good grades replaced any idea of French. But with six months of classes or even more I should be able make it right? Where will you recommend I take the classes? I know the exam is definitely with AF. Thanks ma’am. I intend to start the classes as soon as I am done with IELTS saga. I am trying to do this fast as I was told that that for every Birthday after your 29th, you lose 5 points, I don’t really have that much time to waste on acquiring a masters degree from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 9:22pm On Mar 02, 2019
Prettiepearlz:

Thank you ma’am I appreciate this. Yes I am aiming for CLB 7 and I can’t classify my knowledge of French from my secondary days as a knowledge because I didn’t do anything with it again and the hustle to come of university with good grades replaced any idea of French. But with six months of classes or even more I should be able make it right? Where will you recommend I take the classes? I know the exam is definitely with AF. Thanks ma’am. I intend to start the classes as soon as I am done with IELTS saga. I am trying to do this fast as I was told that that for every Birthday after your 29th, you lose 5 points, I don’t really have that much time to waste on acquiring a masters degree from Nigeria.

If I were in your shoes I'd go through a sample TEF test as I mentioned before to see where I stand and take it from there. AF have TEF prep classes. Some people on the TEF thread are doing self study or private tutors others are attending AF...I think...not sure. You can also ask AF if they do any form of assessment to determine one's level.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Mummychichi: 10:05pm On Mar 02, 2019
Mamaroon:

Ayboye...curious about this too because of how stringent the LMIA seems to be. Please advise us
...maybe this is the way for low CRS scorers....that's 200 points extra right?

Yes o. A whole 200! Ayboye biko. We await ye.

Edited: also you don't need to show proof of funds id you have a job offer. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by DexterousOne(m): 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2019
How much is the TEF Canada exams?
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 03, 2019
DexterousOne:
How much is the TEF Canada exams?
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (183) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.