Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Aretha Franklin Is Dead! - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Aretha Franklin Is Dead! (31081 Views)

"Ubi Franklin Is very stupid"- Tacha reacts / See The Interesting Question Ubi Franklin Is Aking On IG / Exclusive: Ubi Franklin Is Allegedly Expecting Babies From 2 New Baby Mamas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by Mujtahida: 6:32pm On Aug 16, 2018
Rest on Aretha, forever you will feel like a natural woman.

1 Like

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by lexy2014: 6:35pm On Aug 16, 2018
Yuceeluv:

Same here
d music of this generation is hip hop. Hip hop started becoming mainstream in d 80s. As @ d time, R&B, Soul, rock&roll were d genres of choice. Aretha Franklin was one of d symbols of soul, gospel and R&B. It was d music of blacks. Folks like smokey Robinson, Donnie warwick, Diana Ross, James brown, Curtis Mayfield all epitomised R&B and soul. Younger generations of this genre include d likes of Luther vandross, Whitney Houston, George Benson. But Aretha was d Queen of soul, in a class of her own

1 Like

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by kindnyce(m): 6:36pm On Aug 16, 2018
CountDracula:
never knew her OR heard any of her songs, but RIP beautiful soul

Indomie generation spoted

1 Like

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by adminbasmall: 6:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
lol indomie zone
kindnyce:

Indomie generation spoted
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by femmy2010(m): 6:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
dnawah:
even at old age she is still beautifull.RIP

Yes
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by jaxxy(m): 6:43pm On Aug 16, 2018
One of the greats and icons in music. We don’t hv much people singing meaningful and classic songs like she did anymore. Most are trash and overhype lyrics on beats
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by IreneJ: 6:50pm On Aug 16, 2018
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by Lilimax(f): 6:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
Look like almost all her lineage is being wiped away by various types of cancer. All three of Aretha's siblings fell to cancer.
Her brother Cecil, who was also her manager, died from lung cancer in December 1989.

Her sister Carolyn died the previous year in April 1988 from breast cancer, while eldest sister Erma passed from throat cancer in September 2002.
May God rest her soul.

1 Like

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by lexy2014: 6:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
kennygee:
Just checked this out and it is true.

My best song of hers is "Say a prayer". A beautiful love song devoid of vulgarity.
forever and forever
U will stay in my heart and I will love u
Together together
That's how it must be to live without you
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by Lilimax(f): 6:59pm On Aug 16, 2018
Greatzeus:
So where is she now
Jehovah W: she has ceased to exist,she has gone into Extinction.
Buddhist: she has become re incarnated as a new born baby
Pentecostals: she is either in heaven or hell
Pentecostals (others):she is in the grave awaiting judgement
Catholics: she is in purgatory
Muslims: she is in Paradise or hell
Me:
#shoveitintoyourass according to Charles Okocha
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by sexiestharam(f): 7:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
Ever changing times
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by Lilimax(f): 7:04pm On Aug 16, 2018
The Queen of Soul, 76, struggled with obesity and occasionally cancelled performances for unknown medical procedures
In 2017 she said it would be her last year performing and then cancelled several appearances citing 'doctor's orders'
The 'Respect' and 'Natural Woman' singer won 20 Grammys throughout her career as well as three lifetime achievement awards

Aretha Franklin is 'gravely ill' and currently surrounded by family and friends who are preparing to say their final goodbye, it has been reported.

The Queen of Soul, 76, is reportedly down to 86 pounds and has been battling cancer.

A longtime friend of the songstress said he was told a week ago to prepare himself because she was dying, he told TMZ.

He also revealed that Aretha's family and friends were informed two weeks ago that she 'could go at any time'.

Another source revealed to the site that Aretha has been battling cancer, although they did not disclose what kind.

Aretha's family has since confirmed the reports of the singer's failing health to WDIV.

The Queen of Soul was performing as recently as last year but canceled a series of concerts last summer, citing 'doctor's orders'.

Her last performance was on November 2, 2017 for the Elton John AIDS Foundation in New York and final public performance was at Philadelphia's Mann Center in August 2017.

Aretha had revealed earlier in 2017 that it would be her final year performing after releasing her 42nd studio album A Brand New Me.
I will be recording, but this will be my last year in concert,' she announced during a Detroit radio interview that February. 'This is it.'

'I feel very, very enriched and satisfied with respect to where my career came from, and where it is now,' she added.

'I'll be pretty much satisfied, but I'm not going to go anywhere and just sit down and do nothing. That wouldn't be good either.'

The Respect icon has struggled with weight issues throughout her life, and has battled alcoholism. She was also previously a chain smoker.

While still amazingly performing into her seventies, the superstar has on occasion canceled performances for undisclosed medical treatments.

Aretha denied reports that she was battling pancreatic cancer in 2011.

However all three of Aretha's siblings fell to cancer.
Her brother Cecil, who was also her manager, died from lung cancer in December 1989.

Her sister Carolyn died the previous year in April 1988 from breast cancer, while eldest sister Erma passed from throat cancer in September 2002.

To say Aretha's career is legendary would be an understatement. Her career has helped shape American history.

She performed Precious Lord at Martin Luther King Jr.'s funeral in 1968.

Aretha was the daughter of famed civil rights activist CL Franklin, who organized one of the largest marches for racial equality in the nation.

The march, which was held in Detroit, was the very first place King delivered his iconic 'I Have A Dream' speech.
'We look at, and we reflect on his accomplishment, and his achievement in organizing the community in this way,' Aretha said of her father in 1963.

'And I'm very, very happy and pleased and as proud as punch of my dad, having been the single person that organized it all.'

Aretha was the fist ever woman inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 1987. She also topped Rolling Stone's Greatest Artists Of All Time list.

She has won 20 Grammys in throughout her career, the third-most Grammy Awards for any female artist in history.

Aretha was also awarded three special awards from the Grammys, including the Legend Award (1991), the Lifetime Achievement Award (1994), and the MusiCares Person of the Year (2008).

SOURCE: DAILYMAIL
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by luwee(m): 7:12pm On Aug 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxzQJaA228

One of my favorite songs of Aretha Franklin feat.George Micheal
May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by HomeOfMe(f): 7:23pm On Aug 16, 2018
femmy2010:
Aretha Franklin, the "queen of soul" who became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has died in Detroit at the age of 76.

The legendary singer was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and announced last year she was retiring from music.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evfwhn/live/czxc6q
May she rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by HomeOfMe(f): 7:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
RIP Madam Soul.

Indomie kids, no go know her.
Yes o,and they keep asking dumb questions like "who's this one?" Very stup1d dumb kids. Instead of them to just stfu if they don't know.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 7:33pm On Aug 16, 2018
RIP Queen of Soul! The world will miss Aretha with all the Grammies and achievements.

Please check signature in pink below and get in touch to enjoy our Free Real Estate/Property Consulting services!!! This is a good property that boast of a huge return on investment. Don't miss it.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by AdorableJosh(m): 7:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
ashacot:
She is one of the all time greats. Won 19 grammy awards. RIP LEGEND.
LISTEN TO HER SONG "I SAY A PRAYER"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGrRWN3KB4&feature=youtu.be

And also her song RESPECT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szLh7YIEAI&feature=youtu.be

She won 18 grammys actually.

She'd had a couple of hard years due to sickness sad rest in peace legend, you were a piece of art.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by koxi: 7:40pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lilisticlili:
smart phone generation grin

How old are you?
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by GrammarCheck: 7:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
CountDracula:
never knew her OR heard any of her songs, but RIP beautiful soul

See them... Android generation
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by GrammarCheck: 7:43pm On Aug 16, 2018
STILESGANG:
Na WA oo. She is a 60s artiste and do you expect the new generation to be familiar with her or her music? . She is no Micheal Jackson. May she rest in peace.

angry
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by ibkayee(f): 7:56pm On Aug 16, 2018
RIP Queen of Soul!

Say a little prayer for youuuu
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by mamagee3(f): 8:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
Rest In Peace to the queen of soul.

1 Like

Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by columbus007(m): 8:09pm On Aug 16, 2018
motown legend :-,i can't forget you really hurt me so bad,its a song you wrote us,love you mama, Rip.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by AfroSamurai: 8:23pm On Aug 16, 2018
R.I.P Aretha Franklin. The world will miss you. cry sad
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by chidooh1: 8:24pm On Aug 16, 2018
she was one of those that kept us going in the 90s when Nigeria had no music. Also inspired all female acts that have come and gone in the industry,rest on the legendary.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by Salmanazer12: 8:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
Rest in peace, legend.

I remember RESPECT, Say a little prayer (picked that up from My Best Friend's Wedding), Chain of fools, Natural woman, and Who's zoomin who..

Aretha Franklin~ " Who's Zoomin Who " �~ 1985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2NXv9RL1i8 via @YouTube
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by JaceBlaze: 8:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
Let's sit back and watch how some people will lie and say they grow up on her music when they know very well that they can't even name one song cool
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by stevedre: 8:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
kennygee:

Really!

Download "say a prayer".

You'd thank me later.

Excuse me ma lady. Are you a Jazz/soul music fan and a fan of Kenny G, the American saxophonist.
I am one of his great fans but I guess there are quite a few Jazz lovers in Nigeria.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by tyin: 8:59pm On Aug 16, 2018
Who remembered this Song:

Cause a rose is still a rose
Baby, girl, you're still a flower
He can't lead you and then take you
Make you and then break you......

Aretha Franklin's first love was Sam Cooke......She's come long way... you are still a rose even in death
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by stevedre: 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
R.I.P.P Queen of soul music.
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by Ishilove: 9:25pm On Aug 16, 2018
One of the last of a dying breed has died. One of my all time favourites is her collaboration with Prince. Diamonds and Pearls

Sad cry
Re: Aretha Franklin Is Dead! by AfroSamurai: 9:40pm On Aug 16, 2018
Ishilove:
One of the last of a dying breed has died. One of my all time favourites is her collaboration with Prince. Diamonds and Pearls

Sad cry
I doubt Aretha franklin was the lady in that song.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mercy Johnson And Her Husband In Dubai For Valentine / Ruth Kadiri Releases Stunning New Pics As She Turns A Year Older / Rita Dominic Stuns At AMAA Awards 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.