Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. (1985 Views)

Francis Arthur Nzeribe Is Worth £928,789,000 Million Pounds / Defection: APC Bars Arthur Eze, Obi, Obiano / Arthur Nzeribe's Sickness: I Guess He'll Now Know That He Is Human After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by Moralistli(m): 6:21am On Jun 25, 2010
Sen. Arthur Nzeribe should as a matter of urgency be summoned if not disgracefully arrested.
His utterances call for arrest,
What a gross national security breach!

Nzeribe calls for Military coup,
His offence, (Nzeribe calls for Military coup)www.champion.com.ng
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by ElRazur: 6:31am On Jun 25, 2010

Una no get freedom of speech?  grin

Where is the "security breach" you speak of? Kai naijans with technical word. Talking about a coup (depending on context) is an exercises of freedom of speech. There is no breach in no security etc.

By the way, speaking of freedom of speech, anyone know if Nigeria is signed to the HRC? [Human rights convention]. One sec, let me check.     .       .      .     . According to Wiki, e be like say we get African Charter on Human and people's right. Interesting.

If so, Arthur gets nothing to fear I think.
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by isimili: 5:39pm On Jun 25, 2010
i won't be surprised that he is calling for military coup because something has not favoured him or he anticipates that he may lose his seat.

so this is the famous igbo saying, "okuku eliro eli obosaa abosaa" in my opinion he is a person non grata and if democracy is about honesty, integrity and honour then he is not even fit to have the privilege of cleaning a councillor or local govcerment chairman's shoes. But hei we are in nigeria and everything goes.
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by Onlytruth(m): 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2010
OP

Why are you trying to deceive people here? Why are you posting a three month old news -stuff that happened even before Jonathan was made the substantive president?
What is your intention here?

Here is the original news:

11 March, 2010 05:29:00

MMA OGU, EMMA OKEREKE, OWERRI and KALU OKWARA, Lagos

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Senator Francis Arthur Nzeribe has urged the military to stage a coup if it thinks the environment was ripe for such.

Nzeribe who said he believes that Nigerians have committed acts that could bring soldiers back in government in the past 10 years of democracy, described the performance of the three arms of government the legislature, executive and judiciary as a tale of woe.

In a press briefing yesterday in Owerri, Imo State, Nzeribe said Nigeria has entered into a constitutional trap that will prove difficult to come out from.

"The nation’s relation with the military is precarious. We do not want them to stage a take over. Yet we keep on committing the same acts that make coup plotting a profitable venture. My position is that the military should strike if they think the environment is ripe for that. Who are the people turning the screw from the background? We talk of the cabal. Which cabal? The bubble will soon burst", he said.

He said Nigerians are experiencing fatigue and apparently getting bored with democracy and heading consciously and unconsciously towards "what we know better to live with: Military dictatorship."

Citing some examples, he said: "Dr. Goodluck Jonathan was proclaimed Acting President through a fiat by the Senate. Isn’t that a precedence that may haunt us in future, even when cognizance is taken of the amendment of the contentious section 145 of the constitution?

"Only last week, we witnessed another shocker. The Federal Executive Council suddenly dropped every idea about debating the President’s illness, a function that it is constitutionally obliged to carry out. And we are clapping our hands. My humble view is that we have entered into a constitutional trap which may prove difficult to come out from. We have inflicted a fatal injury on our democracy".

Nzeribe therefore described the praises on the military for protecting our democracy as blackmail.

"Which democracy do we want military to protect? Does it not worry us that the same military we were abusing only 11 years ago, we are now praising to high heavens not for going to war and excelling but for agreeing to look the other way while we fornicate with the innocent democracy. For how long will the military take all these praises for doing nothing?

"How long will soldiers accept praises for merely sitting by and watch as their old relatives are kidnapped in their villages and they are asked to pay ransom. Why don’t we negotiate with the military over this spate of insecurity in the country? Why cant we take them into confidence on some of the issues at stake? In those days it was fashionable for politicians to say that they should be allowed to make mistakes and correct themselves. I am afraid that argument is no longer reasonable. Do we still have room for mistakes?’’, he asked.

He said that we have bastardized, crippled, slaughtered and despoiled democracy and in the process corrupted the judiciary and now attempting to corrupt the military by showering praises on them.

He said while waiting for the burble to burst, Jonathan should carefully source young, tested, resourceful and committed men for constructive engagement in the pursuit of his challenging task.

"Our democracy has been fatally wounded by our very selves. We need to go into a period of introspection. But for now, let all hands be on deck to give the Acting President full support and to pray for the full recovery of President Umar Musa Yar’Adua."

Meanwhile, political parties, including Action Congress (AC), Citizens Popular Party (CPP) and All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) yesterday condemned the call by Senator Nzeribe for the military to take over the government in view of the current leadership crisis rocking the nation.

National Publicity Secretary of the AC, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, while condemning the call, dismissed Senator Nzeribe as a non-democrat, who does not love Nigeria.

He said: "In a nascent democracy, mistakes could be made and be corrected because it is a learning process but for anybody to call on the army to come and take over power means that person is not patriotic and is not a democrat.

"We do not support that the army should take over because they have their constitutional duty of protecting the territorial integrity of the nation.

"For we know, Senator Nzeribe is seeking attention, having been forgotten for a long time. So, Nigerians should ignore him and his call."

In his own reaction, the National Chairman of the CPP, Mr. Maxi Okwu, said Nzeribe was a demon of democracy in Nigeria and should be condemned by all right thinking Nigerians.

He said it was the same Nzeribe, through his Association for Better Nigeria (ABN) that scuttled democracy in 1993.

"Military rule is out of fashion and Nigeria’s experience in military rule is that from General Aguiyi-Ironsi to General Abdulsalami Abubakar, the labour of the nation’s heroes was completely destroyed. Generals Ibrahim Babangida and Sani Abacha unleashed the greatest damage on the nation," Okwu said.

While enjoining the military to reject the call, he acknowledged that certain mistakes had been made, stressing that it was the duty of Nigerians to democratically correct those mistakes and forge ahead.

Also reacting, the Director of Publicity of the ANPP, Chief Emma Enekwu, while flaying the call, said the military should be concerned with the constitutional role of protecting the territorial integrity of the nation.

"Military take over is to draw Nigeria backwards that is why nobody talks about that globally.

"Democracy is thriving all over the world as nobody wants to go back to the dark days of military rule and so we do not support Nzeribe’s call for military intervention," Enekwu said.

http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=29021

Moderators please lock this thread.
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by redsun(m): 6:06pm On Jun 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

OP

Why are you trying to deceive people here? Why are you posting a three month old news -stuff that happened even before Jonathan was made the substantive president?
What is your intention here?

Here is the original news:

Moderators please lock this thread.

I wonder,this is a fu-cking stale news.Nigeria deserves more than military coup right now.
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by sweetbee(f): 9:42pm On Jun 25, 2010
wat u waitn for go ahead and arrest him tongue
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by chidichris(m): 11:32pm On Jun 25, 2010
@poster,
if that is the case, i will like to be arrested along with him.
we need even more than a coup.
one of the points raised in the uwais electorial committee is the idea of conducting elections at least six months before handover to enable aggrieved parties to go to court before swearing in. this is june, nothing yet so when will all these arrangements come to pass.
i really do not know what pdp is doing with this country.
Re: Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly. by naijamini(m): 1:53am On Jun 27, 2010
Pray tell me what you need a coup for, and what is this thing more than a military coup that YOU need?

chidichris:

@poster,
if that is the case, i will like to be arrested along with him.
we need even more than a coup.
one of the points raised in the uwais electorial committee is the idea of conducting elections at least six months before handover to enable aggrieved parties to go to court before swearing in. this is june, nothing yet so when will all these arrangements come to pass.
i really do not know what pdp is doing with this country.

(1) (Reply)

Polls: Buhari To Win At The First Ballot / Stay Away From Christians, Boko Haram Warns Muslims In Nigeria / One Nigeria: What Do You Think

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.