Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Do We Have Respect For Privacy? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do We Have Respect For Privacy? (4637 Views)

Nairalanders You Respect, Admire And Love / Nairaland Privacy Law / Ebony Eyes Lacks Respect For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by ElRazur: 9:01am On Jun 25, 2010
So I gave my number out to a couple of friends back home, and before I know it loads of people I haven't spoken to in years started calling me at odd hours.

I gave out my BB pin to a couple of friends, and bang I started getting request from people I do not know.

So I have seen people post private information around here, ranging from alleged Seun's phone number, down to the BB contacts of some of the players who featured in the on-going world cup.

I mean, it is something I have observed over time and forces me to ask question, if we have respect for people's privacy at all in our culture? Another example or should I say observation is when Saharareporters posted information of the children of Michael Aondoakaa on the web. It details their university information amongst other things. Surely, this is wrong?

What are the laws on Privacy matter in Nigeria, or do we not have one? undecided I mean, it is wrong or should I say a bit odd from the norm posting people's information without their permission.

Thoughts please?

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 25, 2010
Is this about your POLITICAL privacy?

Dont mind them, I totally respect your privacy. B.T.W, can you plz drop your address on this thread for 2mins?
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Odunnu: 9:22am On Jun 25, 2010
Did u say 2mins?u'll need spiritual intervention to recover frm the 'attack'.I wantd to help smbdy sometime ago in the travel section,so I dropped my email,on a second tot I was like, 'he shd be the one to give out hs email,so I tried to modify my post.I went to my email and already I had countless 'I NEED TO KNOW YOU BETTER' mails,my facebook was nt left out!
Its sickening,I guess it works with maturity.
BTW,how is this polically related?
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by ElRazur: 11:54am On Jun 25, 2010
I am looking at things from a broader perspective. And wondering if we have any laws at all on Privacy.

Odunnu, I have no pity whatsoever for anyone who gets spam mail after posting their info willingly on a forum. Even my email in my profile is disguised. smiley

I think my focus is more on how we just seem to give out people's personal info without regards or permission for/from the person.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Iceugwa(m): 2:12pm On Jun 25, 2010
Shut up. You talking on privacy do you respect others privacy.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by agathamari(f): 2:15pm On Jun 25, 2010
no privacy what so ever. when your neighbors fight watch how many people stand in thier windows to listen in

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by giftreal: 2:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
I think is very wrong for us not to respect people’s privacy. Personal information should be approved by the owner before anybody can give out. Whether there’s law guiding that or not, people should learn to do things the right way.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 25, 2010
What can I say, we are living in a world where people knowingly or unkowingly butt into other people's lives!

Sometimes  I hear a knock on my door only to go and find a distant cousin carrying an overnight bag! (they got my addy from my mum) Cant you call? duh!

Sometimes, just when I sit down to a quiet lunch, a 'friend' comes bearing tales *rollllz eyez*

And just when I lie down to sleep, the calls starts coming in! Shouldn't there be a ban on calling people after dark?  undecided

That's just the way it is and there's not much you can do about it except turn into an obnoxious snob!

As for the public figures, what do expect? When you become famous, you are signing up for a life of Zero or less privacy!

ElRazur:

I am looking at things from a broader perspective. And wondering if we have any laws at all on Privacy.
Odunnu, I have no pity whatsoever for anyone who gets spam mail after posting their info willingly on a forum. Even my email in my profile is disguised. smiley

Not a very brilliant disguise now is it?  undecided
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Acidosis(m): 2:30pm On Jun 25, 2010
The issue of privacy is now a savage and barbaric term as people no longer respect it, they have made it an ignoble custom, infamous, ignominious shaming our heritage before the world. A question for you, Mr Poster: do you respect others' privacy?
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by cold(m): 2:43pm On Jun 25, 2010
It is not a nigerian thang & shld not be made to look so.The world over paparazis sneak in on celebrities & wannabes & dish out unpalatable stories as well as splash their pictures for all to see.The US eavesdrop on practically everybody's convo with the help of the Patriot Act,same with the UK from GHCQ.
If you leave traceable info abt you,of course pple wld want to rch out to you,either to scam you,become frnds, for bizness purposes etc.

Bottomline:you need privacy,remain in solitude & you wont have to bother about who's stalking/sneaking/eavesdropping/taking pictures etc of you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Parnassuss(m): 2:57pm On Jun 25, 2010
Men, people can be sanctimonious. WTF, privacy is your to keep. If ur fone is tapped, or ur spied on, then its out of ur hands. But stop all this privacy crap, why are sites like Facebook, twitter and skype the vogue? Simply cos pple love to show themselves. I assure you Poster, that had Aandoaka not stolen, nobody would have 'invaded' his airspace or that of his children'. Notoriety usually has that effect, it is not the everyday norm.

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by OAM4J: 3:01pm On Jun 25, 2010
Many Nigerians have no respect for privacy, as a matter of fact many dont know what it entails.

Even the Nigerian Police go out of their ways to abuse people's privacy

Imagine a Nigerian Police officer attempted to search my wallet under the guise of 'stop and search'  
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Acidosis(m): 3:14pm On Jun 25, 2010
OAM4J:

Imagine a Nigerian Police officer attempted to search my wallet under the guise of 'stop and search'  
Wat?
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by kehneah: 3:14pm On Jun 25, 2010
in a civilized world, there aint nofin like privacy, dude
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Meklex(m): 3:21pm On Jun 25, 2010
Privacy is an asset u need to protect from external factors, if I post my email addy that means I have exposed my email to scammers likewise Aandoka who was convicted on fraudulent act he exposed himself to external factors,
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by CarlosVent(m): 3:25pm On Jun 25, 2010
we dnt respect privacy at all in nigeria
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by davidif: 3:28pm On Jun 25, 2010
[size=18pt]poster,
There is a proverb (i think it is an African one) that says it takes a village to raise a child. In yanki, the mantra is "there is my family and there is everybody else", this sort of creates an us vs. them social dynamic. In Nigeria, our culture originated from rural communal settings as a result there is no such thing as privacy, in the west, with more advanced settings, urban organization drove communities apart, so you have people living in distance and a society that is not so communal. The interpersonal dynamic is almost the same, there is  this buffer between individuals called "personal space".
[/size]
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by chinedumo(m): 3:37pm On Jun 25, 2010
ya the signs are there cos nowadays private parts are now public parts. it is one thing to keep something private and another to make some thing public
it is one thing to intrude on people's lives and another to avoid people's lives
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by soarrogant(m): 3:53pm On Jun 25, 2010
some people know nothing about privacy! you send your cellphone number to a brother back home and before you know it even your most avid enemies have it, damn!

but here is a winner,dude in-boxes your facebook with a request to receive someone known to him, you politely accept and the next time you log back into facebook,this fool is all over your wall and your status-posts scribbling he's arrival time,travel schedule,do you want me to bring you anything from home, I was like what?nigguh are you for real? I cut the friendship and told him to grow up!oh and also find some1 else to receive his buddy, yeah mean but better than be sorry[color=#000099][/color] angry
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by mbulela: 4:10pm On Jun 25, 2010
privacy is a lost cause.
Apart from this site, i do not use any social site and try not to give out any personal details whatsoever.
i open new email accounts for every inquiry that needs my email details (some of them, i can't even remember the user name and passwords), as often as i can get away with it.
Inspite of that, i know that i am not secured.
As long as you use the web, you can't be safe.
While i do not do FB, my photos are all over there.
No matter how hard you try, you are doomed.
All you can do is to remain paranoid and try and limit the damage by being suspicious of the web when iot comes to giving out private information.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Johnnymoh: 4:14pm On Jun 25, 2010
In Africa and Nigeria in particular, nobody knows about privacy cos even issues u try to keep from people u see them going  out of their way to get know.  Nobody cares about individual's privacy here.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by iice(f): 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2010
I don't think it's only Nigerians who do it. 
But yes there is no respect for privacy.  Lack of decorum undecided
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by damilola15: 4:37pm On Jun 25, 2010
We don't care about privacy, and it's a thing comes all the way from our culture.
Politicians don't need privacy, we need to know about those we've elected in office.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Confusion: 4:46pm On Jun 25, 2010
i want to use this forum to say to nigerian that i am sorry for kungfuing another player
my action i know caused me, my teammate and my country the world cup,
i know if i hadnt done that we will be on our way to lifting the cup with a good coach that we now have
Pls i employ the management of the forum to help me spread this apology to all nigerians
Ever since the incident my privacy has been grateful trampled by the entire world,
my email address is loaded both with death threat and sympathiser
i wish that both will stop
my BB Battery now runs like the cause laid on NEPA has attack it
Pls i know that i made a silly stupid error but i need my life back
Naija should pls back off my life and stop comparing me to Escobar
because even if i die i am sure that i will resurrect again cause it not yet my time to leave football
i am sure i will still be invited to the national team again to restore my honour.

Thanks

Haruna Sani Kaita
signed
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by davidif: 4:57pm On Jun 25, 2010
damilola15:

Politicians don't need privacy, we need to know about those we've elected in office.

THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS TOO AND THERE IS A LINE THAT MUST NOT BE CROSSED OR DO YOU WANT US TO BE LIKE THE TABLOID CRAZED WESTERNERS.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by Orikinla(m): 5:10pm On Jun 25, 2010
What you want to be private should be clearly stated to the receiver. But if you post your e-mails and phone numbers online, then you are giving access to them to the public.

Personally I do not share the personal contact details of people with others without their consent.

I receive many romance scam mails from people who claim to know me from Nairaland. But I ignore them and expose them by posting the photographs they are using so that others would beware of them.

The level of your privacy will determine the level of your security.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by aieromon(m): 5:26pm On Jun 25, 2010
All these because someone was banned from enterin' the U.S?
I can't wait for the FoI bill to be passed into law.
You facebook and twitter,yet you demand privacy.HOWWWW?
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by kcblast(m): 5:36pm On Jun 25, 2010
There's nothing like privacy duh,only GOD do,believe it or not angry angry angry angry angry
i don't see y all u fellas gat 2 b crying on this thread
e be like say una don chop enuf kuli kuli**shiooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo** tongue
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by ElRazur: 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2010
Ujujoan:

That's just the way it is and there's not much you can do about it except turn into an obnoxious snob!

As for the public figures, what do expect? When you become famous, you are signing up for a life of Zero or less privacy!

Not a very brilliant disguise now is it?  undecided

Nah, there are way round it. smiley Keep a spare phone with a long battery life. Put it on silent and leave it there. That one will be your public phone that you only check, once every three week. smiley

My point to be honest, is more to do with how people give out info's of without respect at all for the owner of such info.

As for my disguise, it is very effective against spam mail. Spam bots, are designed to pick up on emails and as such, disguising it, throws them off track. HOwever, it will still be useful for humans that may need to contact me if necessary. Finally, it is my email I use for forum, nothing more inside of it. No personal info and all that. smiley
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by GL(f): 5:56pm On Jun 25, 2010
i agree that we don't respect other people's privacy enough. i've seen people post information (sometimes sensitive info like death in the family, academic failure or relationship breakup) about other people on facebook a number of times. i know some people feel the need to announce their every move on FB, but they don't have to breach someone else's privacy to do that.

i can cope with the phone and email intruders, some things that really upset me are when people visit me unannounced, or come with friends who i don't know (without informing me), or when a visit stretches into days. there are some people who enjoy living very open lives and it's difficult for them to understand the need others have for privacy.
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by ElRazur: 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2010
aieromon:

All these because someone was banned from enterin' the U.S?
I can't wait for the FoI bill to be passed into law.
You facebook and twitter,yet you demand privacy.HOWWWW?

Are you living in the dark? Facebook gives you the option to manage your information - For example, while I am on facebook, it is almost impossible for anyone to find me. I do not allow Goggle to index me. etc and I control how my info is share.  

Same go for twitter, I am on it, but my tweets are protected etc.

It is little things like that, that keeps ensures our privacy etc.

Having said that, there are laws for example in the UK that Facebook and other social sites must abide by when it comes to privacy. Which ever way you want to look at it, yes privacy do exist and people should learn to respect it. smiley
Re: Do We Have Respect For Privacy? by sizzlers(m): 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2010
GL:

i agree that we don't respect other people's privacy enough. i've seen people post information (sometimes sensitive info like death in the family, academic failure or relationship breakup) about other people on facebook a number of times. i know some people feel the need to announce their every move on FB, but they don't have to breach someone else's privacy to do that.

i can cope with the phone and email intruders, some things that really upset me are when people visit me unannounced, or come with friends who i don't know (without informing me), or when a visit stretches into days. there are some people who enjoy living very open lives and it's difficult for them to understand the need others have for privacy.
i believe you  grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo Of President Of Papua New Guinea Attending A UN Meeting Naked / What Unconscious Activity Do U Find Yourself Doing When Annoyed? / Have You Ever Felt Like A Day Has Happened Before?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.