Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,877 members, 7,810,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent (7023 Views)

HAUSALAND: Teach Me Hausa / Teach Me Naija Slang Please / Can Somebody Please Teach Me Pidgin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by spoilt(f): 1:23am On Jun 04, 2007
viee:

i just had the misfortune of reading Bigsis post

na real misfortune. grin
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by ghettochyk(f): 1:31am On Jun 04, 2007
y'all don't pay no mind to dat brain-dead zombie. it's all good!!! wink
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Ivvie: 5:25pm On Jun 24, 2007
@Yicob

If you don't mind, shoot me a mail.  I still have my kit used in my Mass Communication's class.  It makes you speak proper but does not totally eliminate your accent.  It'll require a lot of discipline from you but will not give you a dialet.  It also won't teach you how to speak English (of which I believe you already know). It'll make you talk and sound with clarity of a news caster.  Let me know, so that I can rip all the disc for you.  It's more than 60 (if I am not wrong).
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by lazy(m): 11:12pm On Jun 24, 2007
I don't understand why someone would want to talk with an "American" accent? I think it is great to hear a variety of accents. I personally have my work accent "European American Accent" and then I have my "Southern African American Accent". You just have to know when to use them and with whom. I will speak differently with my Grandmother who is 92 and couldn't get "Skewlin" (Schooling--because of limited education in rural south of US for African Americans) as she would say than in a meeting at work. I work in the computer industry and sad to say their are not many Black(Africans or African Diaspora) people at all I run across. It is mostly Asians and I love that they have their accents still. I work with Australians, Canadians, and British and they never talk about wanting to have an American accent when they speak English. I think people should appreciate their accents. I do.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by drkchoclit(f): 2:32am On Jun 25, 2007
Why in the world would someone want to have an American accent? There really is no American accent truly, because it can vary wildly depending on which region of the states that you live in.

Primarily, there is the New-England accent, The "New Yorker/east coast" accents, The Mid Atlantic (no traceable accent at all).  There is the "Southern Drawl" and the "Texas Twang" is all it's own. Honorable mention to the Creole/Cajun accent of Louisiana.

Then you have the California accent. I call that the "surfer dude" accent. It's so cute, hee hee.

I'm sure in Nigeria there are many dialects and accents depending on region. In American TV, broadcasters tend to go with the Mid Atlantic/no accent because everyone can understand it.

Yes, you can learn all things thug and more on BET (hanging head in shame). BTW, BET wasn't always like it is now. BET used to be quite sophisticated.

Look, just because of [/s]Americanization[s] Globalization, don't think the American way is always the best way. As the AA's would say here, "Do You!"
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by MP007(m): 2:32pm On Jun 25, 2007
no brain
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by omoge(f): 3:24pm On Jun 25, 2007
whara thang grin !
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by benit(f): 5:05pm On Jun 25, 2007
@ poster,
I would have taught u but I am not in America cry
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Ivvie: 6:51pm On Jun 25, 2007
@lazy && drkchoclit ;

I'm not into the Western way of life. I believe in preserving the old ways (in other words, old fashioned). I am proud to be Nigerian by blood and it's a prerogative that shouldn't be ashamed of.

The fellow simply asked - no one knows his reason. I believe he has accomplishments and hopes. Basically, what the lessons woould do is to work on his intonations and the proper stress of words and pronounciation to U.S standards. It doesn't give you regional accents nor dialets.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Ivvie: 6:56pm On Jun 25, 2007
@ Naija_Diva

naija_diva (f)
hyattsville, Maryland, USA

Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent
« #35 on: April 17, 2007, 10:28 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that's right. u try getting a

It's a different case in Louisiana.  They love the way Nigerians speak. Texas pretty much identifies Nigerians.  So, the way you speak does not limit you in terms of employment.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by olutomiwa(m): 8:14pm On Jun 27, 2007
very simple,make you just dey say I WANNA, I GONNA, MEN, MOTHER FUCKER,BITCH, [b]NIGGER AND Bleep YOU EVERY DAY,[/b]within one month you go sabi american accent like me
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by lazy(m): 10:11pm On Jun 27, 2007
@Ivvie

I understand what you are saying and I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of wanting to assimilate to Western/European ways. I just don't understand how his hopes and accomplishments wont be archived if he still keeps his accent. There are somethings in the corporate world that feel that should be adhered to. For instance, I feel your work attire is a uniform. We all put clothes on and take the off, just like the next person. It is a uniform in the sense of someone in the police force or a fireman. That is why everyday I have no problem wearing a suit or business casual attire(when appropriate). The thing that bothers me is when people want to change things that you born with. You can speak with an accent and sound intelligent and many times more intelligent than someone with an "American" accent. This is just one aspect but there are many more like I know some in the corporate world have issue when Black women wear their hair natural. They get their hair done just like everyone else and it is nice, neat, and clean. They don't ask women of other races to change their hair texture to make it tightly curled. I say this only to mean that there is no need to "assimilate" aspects of yourself that you are born with. When it comes to things that all in the corporate world do then I feel that is something we all should do.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Ivvie: 10:41pm On Jun 27, 2007
lazy:

@Ivvie

I understand what you are saying and I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of wanting to assimilate to Western/European ways. I just don't understand how his hopes and accomplishments wont be archived if he still keeps his accent. There are somethings in the corporate world that feel that should be adhered to. For instance, I feel your work attire is a uniform. We all put clothes on and take the off, just like the next person. It is a uniform in the sense of someone in the police force or a fireman. That is why everyday I have no problem wearing a suit or business casual attire(when appropriate). The thing that bothers me is when people want to change things that you born with. You can speak with an accent and sound intelligent and many times more intelligent than someone with an "American" accent. This is just one aspect but there are many more like I know some in the corporate world have issue when Black women wear their hair natural. They get their hair done just like everyone else and it is nice, neat, and clean. They don't ask women of other races to change their hair texture to make it tightly curled. I say this only to mean that there is no need to "assimilate" aspects of yourself that you are born with. When it comes to things that all in the corporate world do then I feel that is something we all should do.

@Lazy
Some people think moving up means being like the rest.  Personally, I don't believe in it and wouldn't condone it either.  In the case of the African race and hair texture, that issue came up at my place of work.  Judge Mablean got fired for the same reason as well.  I don't blame the people enforcing it, but the ones adhering to it.  The whole hair-straightening came from slavery and this became popular as a means of trying to get accepted.  Some mulattos that could pass for white  were simply accepted.  One thing I will say in all reality is that the blacks can never be white and whites never black.  One would suppress and the other would oppose.  I was made to take Speech as a Sophomore because my advisor taught I needed it because I spoke words differently.  To date, it has made no difference.  Recently, I just found out that Webster couldn't spell, that's why American spellings differ from the standard spellings.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by lazy(m): 12:51am On Jun 28, 2007
Ivvie:

@Lazy
Some people think moving up means being like the rest. Personally, I don't believe in it and wouldn't condone it either. In the case of the African race and hair texture, that issue came up at my place of work. Judge Mablean got fired for the same reason as well. I don't blame the people enforcing it, but the ones adhering to it. The whole hair-straightening came from slavery and this became popular as a means of trying to get accepted. Some mulattos that could pass for white were simply accepted. One thing I will say in all reality is that the blacks can never be white and whites never black. One would suppress and the other would oppose. I was made to take Speech as a Sophomore because my advisor taught I needed it because I spoke words differently. To date, it has made no difference. Recently, I just found out that Webster couldn't spell, that's why American spellings differ from the standard spellings.

@Ivvie
I totally agree with you. I don't blame the people enforcing it, but the ones adhering to it. If you want something to change then people need to stop adhering to something that is obviously not a requirement that any individual should have to meet. Some things should not be a requirement for "making it". If they are then people should want to be a part of the process in changing that requirement if you feel it is something that needs to change. If people didn't fight against certain opinions, Africans would still be a colonized people on the continent or an enslaved people in the Diaspora. I feel that the African Race still suffers from the "Slave" mind in the diaspora and the "Colonial" mind on the continent. People just need to be who or whatever they are and know that that is just as good as anything else. I never knew that about Webster! That is interesting.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Ivvie: 11:16pm On Jun 28, 2007
@Lazy

lazy:

@Ivvie
I totally agree with you. I don't blame the people enforcing it, but the ones adhering to it. If you want something to change then people need to stop adhering to something that is obviously not a requirement that any individual should have to meet. Some things should not be a requirement for "making it". If they are then people should want to be a part of the process in changing that requirement if you feel it is something that needs to change. If people didn't fight against certain opinions, Africans would still be a colonized people on the continent or an enslaved people in the Diaspora. I feel that the African Race still suffers from the "Slave" mind in the diaspora and the "Colonial" mind on the continent. People just need to be who or whatever they are and know that that is just as good as anything else. I never knew that about Webster! That is interesting.

Yep, the stuff about Webster - When I took English 1, I had issues with my instructor concerning gramatical structure and spellings.  I spoke extremely different (so people thought I couldn't speak English).  I was given low grades and so, a suggestion arose that I take English for International Students.  I bluntly refused it and in class.  A lecture period occurred when my instructor ended a sentence with the word "at."  More like "where he was at" or something in that trend and I remarked forcefully that you don't end a sentence with a preposition.  Then I told the Nigerians what happened and somebody pointed it out from an English encyclopedia about Webster's issue.  I made my mind clear to the instructor that the class reflects English and not American English.  Also, I'd never seen the use of a comma, then the word "AND" following each other.  It's just sad how people graduate from college and not know English.  You cannot graduate from Secondary School without knowing WAEC English.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by spoilt(f): 11:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
olutomiwa:

very simple,make you just dey say I WANNA, I GONNA, MEN, MOTHER FUCKER,BITCH, [b]NIGGER AND Bleep YOU EVERY DAY,[/b]within one month you go sabi american accent like me

you sound like this? im sorry for you! cry
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by hannydarl(f): 12:11pm On Jun 30, 2007
its easy first prononce anyword with T as R eg warrer for water, lerrer for letter, larrer for later, wharrer hel for what the hell and pronounce O as aw eg God as gawd grin.
E for sweet pass if you be pastor you for sell well well by the time you preach like this:
Gwad is gonno pour warrer fram heaven en warrer your femely in jesus name.

Go meet pastor chris to coach you grin
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by olutomiwa(m): 6:03pm On Jun 30, 2007
spoilt:

you sound like this? im sorry for you! cry
say wetn?sorry for urself
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by drkchoclit(f): 4:27am On Jul 01, 2007
hannydarl:

E for sweet pass if you be pastor you for sell well well by the time you preach like this:
Gwad is gonno pour warrer fram heaven en warrer your femely in jesus name.

Go meet pastor chris to coach you grin

ROFL, my goodness some do talk like that
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by iice(f): 4:38am On Jul 01, 2007
laughin my frozen butt off grin grin Wharrer hel indeed!
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by moondust(m): 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2007
ROFFLMFAO!!!!
nothin wey i no go hear for nairaland cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by queenb2(f): 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2007
Be proud of your accent why go putting on someone else's.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by queenb2(f): 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2007
If you really want to learn the American accent go and check it out at www.losetheaccent.com, www.accentsworks.com, www.speakmoreclearly.com.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Janeesa: 10:02pm On Jul 28, 2007
not to sound mean or anything but if u dont already know how to talk like an american (w/e that meands) den
you will only make urself look like a damn fool if u try.talk how u talk, u'll be more intrestin that way
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 28, 2007
@ poster

haba why u wana learn yankee accent, abi is it to impress a chic?
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Janeesa: 7:56am On Jul 29, 2007
There really isnt a proper ny accent, we all got a certain way to say stuff n we all say it the same whether its proper
or ghetto we say ball,wall,car,coffee just like people frm boston
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Betty605: 9:03pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ poster, what do you need it for, a presentation or summin, are you in some kind of competition that requires d accent
or you just need it to impress, if that is it den LOL LOL LOL LOL HAAAAA!!!!! cheesy grin
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2007
@post
boy, you so funny!

you dnt need to learn it, it'll come naturally once you've been there long enough. wink
if you're trying to sound yankee, babe, it'll come out rubbish. I've heard some folks here trying to sound American, its a painful torture to my ears. cry cry
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by yicob(m): 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2007
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry

let me continue with my yoruba accent.

thank you all.
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Nwaka77: 3:06am On Dec 04, 2007
And its a rap! LOL grin grin grin what a funny thread!
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Americanguy: 10:12am On Mar 20, 2016
If still interested email me mrnnamdiakoma@gmail.com
Re: I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent by Americanguy: 10:12am On Mar 20, 2016
If still interested email me mrnnamdiakoma@gmail.com
i think i can help you out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Origins And Founding Patriarchs of Yoruba And Yoruboid Towns. / Sons Of The Soil: The History Of The GBAGYI People Of Abuja / Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.