Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,394 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires (15846 Views)

How To Keep Rats Out Of Your Car Engine / How Can I Get Rid Of Rats In My Car Engine? / How Can I Drive Rats Away From My Car? Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by CarMecx(m): 11:59pm On Aug 22, 2018
Rats they are omnivorous like all rodents, need to chew. Chew anything they can find to keep their incisors from growing through their jaws, but they find the wiring of cars particularly delicious chewing which translate into expensive repairs. If by chance you happen to have some food stashed away in your car, that’s a bonanza for the rats. A car provides for plenty of chewing stuff like Plastic, carpet, seat fabric, anything.
I have even seen a rat chew through the fuel line of a car. The worst part is when a live rat running around and chewing through stuff in your car die. A dead rat in the AC system of a car with smell that is stomach-churning and the car had to be aired out thoroughly even after a disinfectant wash for a couple of days. Such is the menace of rats. Another person had his entire instrument panel go dead because of rats chewing through a critical set of wires that resulted in an expensive wiring harness replacement. Here are some 7 tips to help prevent the rats’ nastiness and costly repairs.
Are They in Your Car?

1. Leave Your Car Bonnet Open: Rats love dark place to nest. This idea may help discourage them but may not be the ultimate solution, do this if you have a secure parking garage in your house.

2. Check under The Bonnet: Rats love the engine bay especially the air filter, cold air intake, air vents and the bonnet. This is also where most of the delicious wiring that they we be chewing up is located, ensure that the air filters and hoses are free of things rats may have stored. It would even be better to have your car professionally steam wash cleaned to ensure all rats’ evidence is removed.

3. Thoroughly Clean Your Car: Remove used food plates, left over junks wrap from the car.

4. Use Rat Trap: Place rat trap on the front, back and top of the tire tread of your front two tires, bait them with oily food and replace the bait once a week only set these trap anytime the car is parked using the old fashioned spring snap rats trap. Don’t use rat poison it attract more rats also to avoid its rotting smell.

5. Clean your Parking Area: Always clean your parking area, keep the area free of garbage that rats are likely to pickup and store in your car.

6. Don’t Let Car Sit Unused: Drive it once in a while to discourage rats from doing mechanical or electrical work.

7. Finally get a cat, but only if you can deal with a cat keeping a cat as a pet.

8 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Michael8026: 12:03am On Aug 23, 2018
nice

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:13am On Aug 23, 2018
summary.

Leave Bonnet open

Use a rat trap

employ a Cat.

58 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by weyreypey: 6:28am On Aug 23, 2018
Fumigate.

3 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by mofeoluwadassah: 7:23am On Aug 23, 2018
Incredible smiley
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by iamTP: 7:24am On Aug 23, 2018
Too much talk

Couldn't it have been shortened?

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by pablobellins(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2018
Blah blah blah. Dont own a chewable car

2 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Sharpshooota: 7:26am On Aug 23, 2018
Get a Nairaland zombie ...

If they are not online chanting sai barber

They are offline eating rats

11 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by FroshD: 7:29am On Aug 23, 2018
grin
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by YorubaAssasin: 7:31am On Aug 23, 2018
Rat no go chop ni? undecided
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by bigfat05: 7:32am On Aug 23, 2018
nice one
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by jaxxy(m): 7:38am On Aug 23, 2018
Sm1 said put sm camphor in the engine bay. The smell wud drive them away bt haven’t tried it yet.
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Speedo17(m): 7:39am On Aug 23, 2018
For me I just poison them by applying some indosid capsules on bread crumbs placed in the car. Sometimes it could be difficult locating the dead rat
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Centcanada: 7:41am On Aug 23, 2018
Okey?
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by OboOlora(f): 7:45am On Aug 23, 2018
Leave ur bonnets open in Lagos?
I pity u if ur neighbor is a Ladipo Ibo boy , e go turn ur car to casket with only AC knob remaining

19 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Exponental(m): 7:56am On Aug 23, 2018
Rats.... those stubborn creatures. Since I saw a rat bring out bait professionally out of a trap as at 1999, I knew the millennium rats will be worse. Op, if the rat is interested, it will get there. They think like humans except for what is called 'mistakes'.

3 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by 9jaBloke: 7:57am On Aug 23, 2018
I learnt that putting charcoal inside the bonnet wards them off.

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by nakoks(m): 8:01am On Aug 23, 2018
9jaBloke:
I learnt that putting charcoal inside the bonnet wards them off.

Rats cant stand the smell of charcoal.Simplest and best solution.

5 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by jericco1(m): 8:02am On Aug 23, 2018
yet to get my first car tho...

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Unlimited22: 8:03am On Aug 23, 2018
These are the kinds of things that should be on FP.
But no, it's either Cee-C clapping back or sultry photos.
Kudos, OP.
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:08am On Aug 23, 2018
Sharpshooota:
Get a Nairaland zombie ...

If they are not online chanting sai barber

They are offline eating rats
cool cool cool they usually gather at this joint wink

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by mcstan18(m): 8:39am On Aug 23, 2018
The rodent in the picture looks dead
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by lacoach: 8:47am On Aug 23, 2018
I dealt with them decisively

4 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by dPriv: 9:30am On Aug 23, 2018
Cat works wonders on Rat.

Check signature for this LENOVO LAPTOP in ILORIN .
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by OyinO: 9:51am On Aug 23, 2018
Cat is the best solution. One single cry of mmiaaaaon, sends all rats at 50 metres radius packing.

4 Likes

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by banio: 10:23am On Aug 23, 2018
weyreypey:
Fumigate.

That's what I do. Just use e-de-kill mosquito well well and all rats will run away.
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by globalresource: 10:23am On Aug 23, 2018
you cannot believe rat ate gum trap without catching the rat. i fear anything wey dey naija
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by weyreypey: 10:23am On Aug 23, 2018
OyinO:
Cat is the best solution. One single cry of mmiaaaaon, sends all rats at 50 metres radius packing.
Fumigate in the dark night like 11 PM

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by manshoro: 10:55am On Aug 23, 2018
Put canfur in strategic areas of your car and you will never see rats again
Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by Xkalaban(m): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

cool cool cool they usually gather at this joint wink

cheesy Omo see meme o grin grin grin

@Op all this open bonnet, clean car thoroughly and getting a cat no go work as easily said so far 9ja is concerned. Bad things can happen to ur car very sharperly.
The best way to do it is to buy a packet of cigarettes, open the contents, mix am well with better ground pepper wey dey hot weller, now spread am all over ur engine. Especially in places where them shit full. Na confam tear gas be that to those rats I tell uwink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by MobilityExpress: 11:05am On Aug 23, 2018
Buy kill-N-dry rat poison, throw like 5 in different areas under your bonnet. By the time like 4 rats eat it and dies, the rat council will warn the entire rat community in your street to avoid your car like Ebola grin

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Rats Away From Eating Your Car Wires by InvertedHammer: 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2018
/
Leave your bonnet open?

You will drive away rats but invite other kinds of rats.

One group chew wires while the other make parts disappear.

/

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Of These Single-axled Cars Can You Name? (photos) / What Is The Difference Between These Two Toyota Corolla Cars? / Changing From Right Hand Drive To Left Hand Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.