Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,136 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (251) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (446037 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 12:08pm On Nov 03, 2023
2felix:

The xc 90 most rugged and durable among the three
I have being hearing praises about this car.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 3:39am On Nov 04, 2023
I'm about to buy a 2003/2007 corolla toks. Please for a first car owner, what are is expected for general maintainance? like type of engine oil, should water or coolant be used etc (as much maintainance guide as possible). The tinnest of maintainance culture regardless of how basic is very important. Likewise safety tips I can take to protect the vehicle. Thank you very much

cc:
nurey
heavenlybang
kingreign
Aaaaarghmed

Everyone
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:32am On Nov 04, 2023
Wizdom0091:
I'm about to buy a 2003/2007 corolla toks. Please for a first car owner, what are is expected for general maintainance? like type of engine oil, should water or coolant be used etc (as much maintainance guide as possible). The tinnest of maintainance culture regardless of how basic is very important. Likewise safety tips I can take to protect the vehicle. Thank you very

Engine oil a popular brand of 5w30 full synthetic blend should be okay total, mobil, Castrol etc.

Transmission toyota type T-IV but for now leave the transmission fluid if the car is direct tokunbo not those indirect tokunbo (driven but not registered unit)

Park vehicle in a gated compound buy steering wheel and pedal lock join especially for 03 to 05 with lax security chip.

Reduce night waka and avoid notorious neighborhoods known for car jacking.

Buy tracker if you can and install to help track the car incase of unforeseen theft.

If you are the son of the soil like me, meet babalawo to help you with gbogila jazz so when the vehicle is stolen ayelala will be invoked to disturb the thieves till they return the vehicle.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 9:51am On Nov 04, 2023
nurey:

Engine oil a popular brand of 5w30 full synthetic blend should be okay total, mobil, Castrol etc.

Transmission toyota type T-IV but for now leave the transmission fluid if the car is direct tokunbo not those indirect tokunbo (driven but not registered unit)

Park vehicle in a gated compound buy steering wheel and pedal lock join especially for 03 to 05 with lax security chip.

Buy tracker if you can and install to help track the car incase of unforeseen theft.

If you are the son of the soil like me, meet babalawo to help you with gbogila jazz so when the vehicle is stolen ayelala will be invoked to disturb the thieves till they return the vehicle.
you have said it all,OP,pls do strong juju,many have being killed because of this car.if u no get hated compound,no buy am.id not,na thief u buy am for.put tracker
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 5:42pm On Nov 06, 2023
nurey:

Boss thank you very much. I very much appreciate. For the engine oil will you suggest I change the oil that came with it thereby servicing it? Or I should use the engine oil in it, if I'm to use the engine oil that came with the car already in it how long should I use the engine oil before changing it and if I'm to change the engine oil that came with the car how long should I use the car before changing the engine oil again.

Thank you very much.

For the jazz I don't have plug on it lol but thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 5:45pm On Nov 06, 2023
Aaaaarghmed:
you have said it all,OP,pls do strong juju,many have being killed because of this car.if u no get hated compound,no buy am.id not,na thief u buy am for.put tracker

My compound is gated but I'm still concerned about security when I visit anyone that has a gated compound. I will try my best to get the tracker once I buy the car but how much do they usually charge for tracker? I have being googling security tips for car and I came across installing kill switch that will have to be switched to on. What's your thought on it as well.

For the tracker is there anything I should have In mind or consider when I want to install it. Thanks alot, i very much appreciate
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:45pm On Nov 06, 2023
Wizdom0091:

Boss thank you very much. I very much appreciate. For the engine oil will you suggest I change the oil that came with it thereby servicing it? Or I should use the engine oil in it, if I'm to use the engine oil that came with the car already in it how long should I use the engine oil before changing it and if I'm to change the engine oil that came with the car how long should I use the car before changing the engine oil again.

Thank you very much.

For the jazz I don't have plug on it lol but thanks

Change the engine oil because the one in it you cant determine when it was serviced and how long it was used in the vehicle.

full synthetic I do 8000kms or 6months which ever comes first and I never had sludge or smoking engine, I used this for 7years with my vehicles. the brands I used were
1. MRS full synthetic 5w40
2. Total quartz 9000 5w40
3. Mobile 1 foreign import 5w30
if you can get a genuine full synthetic engine oil i believe your corolla should do fine, i used MRS on it years ago for my sisters unit.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by teyokensax: 10:43pm On Nov 09, 2023
RealEzee:
Hello Guys please what do you think will be best sedan for value with a budget of #4.5m ? Tokunbo
Sonata
Accord
Audi a4
Camry
Passat se
Mazda6

I have a Volkswagen passat se for sale at 4.5m, 2016, check my bio
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2023
nurey:

Change the engine oil because the one in it you cant determine when it was serviced and how long it was used in the vehicle.

full synthetic I do 8000kms or 6months which ever comes first and I never had sludge or smoking engine, I used this for 7years with my vehicles. the brands I used were
1. MRS full synthetic 5w40
2. Total quartz 9000 5w40
3. Mobile 1 foreign import 5w30
if you can get a genuine full synthetic engine oil i believe your corolla should do fine, i used MRS on it years ago for my sisters unit.

Boss Good Evening, I got the corolla but in my absence an engine oil called Ammasco 20W-50 was used. What's your opinion about the oil?

@everyone

Please, i don't mind changing the oil at the next oil change or some month before then if it fall below evaluation
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2023
Wizdom0091:

Boss Good Evening, I got the corolla but in my absence an engine oil called Ammasco 20W-50 was used. What's your opinion about the oil?

@everyone

Please, i don't mind changing the oil at the next oil change or some month before then if it fall below evaluation

Dries up very fast won't recommend it
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dicksonadams(m): 5:52pm On Nov 15, 2023
nurey:

by dried up very fast, do you mean it evaporates due to heat from the combustion chamber or the cars rings or cylinder are worn hence the oil get pass into the cylinder
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Kingdemu: 8:56pm On Nov 15, 2023
Wizdom0091:

@everyone

So after all the recommendations you got you went ahead to pour 20w50 in your new car? And to cap it all, the brand you chose was Ammasco (made in Kano) of all brands? Some people deserve all the wahala that comes their way
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2023
dicksonadams:
by dried up very fast, do you mean it evaporates due to heat from the combustion chamber or the cars rings or cylinder are worn hence the oil get pass into the cylinder

I didn't do all this your scientific research ooo. I just know the oil dries up like pouring spirit on the ground
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by jceesquare(m): 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2023
dicksonadams:
What he means is that the oil does not tolerate heat well and dries up.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by chidirobert(m): 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2023
Good evening guys.am currently using a Toyota Camry 2003 4 cylinder but am considering swapping the the car for 2004 Camry v6 I need some professional advice pls
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Timagex(m): 11:32pm On Nov 15, 2023
nurey:

If.you dont mind Nissan Sentra, almera, Altima, sunny, pathfinder2002 to 2004. The rest below 2008.

Peugeot too dey, hyundai accent sephia, shuma, elantra and kia Rio, cerato all below 08 too

Is this type of Almera accepted on bolt/Uber platform? And how durable and fuel efficient is the car sir?

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:43am On Nov 16, 2023
Timagex:

Is this type of Almera accepted on bolt/Uber platform? And how durable and fuel efficient is the car sir?

It is a very fuel efficient vehicle as for uber usage I don't know but it is family of matrix/vibe, five door hatchback
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 6:11am On Nov 16, 2023
Kingdemu:
So after all the recommendations you got you went ahead to pour 20w50 in your new car? And to cap it all, the brand you chose was Ammasco (made in Kano) of all brands? Some people deserve all the wahala that comes their way

Bro I didn't personally pour Ammansco in the car neither did i personally opt for 20W-50, it was the person I entrusted that did. But all the same I take responsibility for it.

I will try to remedy the wrong
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 6:21am On Nov 16, 2023
nurey:

Thanks Boss, I really appreciate all the effort. It was serviced recently but i will change the oil. I will keep checking the dipstick and change the oil February (most likely) or before then. I hope it won't be too late by then.

Is it safe to switch from the Ammanco 20W-50 to 5W-30? The first service was the Ammanco oil
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:29am On Nov 16, 2023
Wizdom0091:

Thanks Boss, I really appreciate all the effort. It was serviced recently but i will change the oil. I will keep checking the dipstick and change the oil February (most likely) or before then. I hope it won't be too late by then.

Is it safe to switch from the Ammanco 20W-50 to 5W-30? The first service was the Ammanco oil

If vehicle is tokunbo you can switch to 5w30 it won't have any damage on engine.

If nah naija used, ask owner what oil grade him dey use if nah 20w50 it is better you stick to that, change 3months or 3000km which ever comes first. But if you want to switch naija used 20w50 to 5w30 you do it step by step. You first start with 15w if all is well move to 10w in next service then finally 5w if no issues.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Timagex(m): 9:05am On Nov 16, 2023
nurey:

It is a very fuel efficient vehicle as for uber usage I don't know but it is family of matrix/vibe, five door hatchback

Alright Chief. Thank you.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wizdom0091: 9:37am On Nov 16, 2023
nurey:

If vehicle is tokunbo you can switch to 5w30 it won't have any damage on engine.

If nah naija used, ask owner what oil grade him dey use if nah 20w50 it is better you stick to that, change 3months or 3000km which ever comes first. But if you want to switch naija used 20w50 to 5w30 you do it step by step. You first start with 15w if all is well move to 10w in next service then finally 5w if no issues.

Thank you very much I really appreciate all the effort. It is Tokunbo, I will switch to 5W30 in the next service
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 9:56am On Nov 16, 2023
Wizdom0091:

Thank you very much I really appreciate all the effort. It is Tokunbo, I will switch to 5W30 in the next service

Imports from the USA.......38k each .......keep in mind oil is cheap than buying new engine.....

Also keep in mind when using the right viscosity of oil. You will save on fuel coz the oil pump is not over working engine to pump oil to all the moving parts....

When using thicker oil like 20w50 the oil pump is working harder to pump oil to the moving parts, and in the process burning more fuel and damaging oil pump in the long run...

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Itsrm(m): 9:22pm On Nov 16, 2023
dru23:

Imports from the USA.......38k each .......keep in mind oil is cheap than buying new engine.....

Also keep in mind when using the right viscosity of oil. You will save on fuel coz the oil pump is not over working engine to pump oil to all the moving parts....

When using thicker oil like 20w50 the oil pump is working harder to pump oil to the moving parts, and in the process burning more fuel and damaging oil pump in the long run...

Why was I charged 40k?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by teeboi0505: 9:40pm On Nov 16, 2023
Good Evening all,

Thanks for the good work being done on this thread.
I bought a new 75aH battery for my Nissan Xterra SUV 2001 3 months and half ago.
For more than a months now, I noticed whitish particles on the positive and negative terminals of the battery.
I usually clean the particles and the car will start after some 10 , 15 or even 30 minutes but the same cycle has been repeating itself over and over again.
At times the car will go off when I drive for 60- 90 minutes and i will have to clean the whitish particles before it will start again.
The check battery/low battery light also come on repeatedly.

I am tired of all this.

(1) Please What should I do?
(2) I want to service my car. Which type of engine oil should I buy?

Thanks

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 11:15pm On Nov 16, 2023
Itsrm:

Why was I charged 40k?

Mobil 1 Extended Performace is 40k and everything below that is 38k......

Due to the unstable naira our prices will continue to fluctuate .
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by KDInteriors: 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2023
nurey:

The camry and corolla are both very solid vehicles.

Efficiency both will get the job done but the camry has a bigger cabin, more leg room and comfortable sitting also more boot space.

Luxury the camry beats the corolla as the LE and xle come with leather optional sat navigation and JBL premium audio the corolla was never fitted with leather but the 06-07 has an upscale audio system.
The camry also comes with 16inch alloy rim options the corolla is 15 inch steel rim from factory on all models

Economy the corolla has a 1.6 and 1.8L engine while the camry has a 2.5L I4, V6 and hybrid. The camry hybrid comes close to the fuel economy of the corolla but to be on a safer side for 1st timer better to over look the hybrid. The corolla wins in economy but the camry 4 cylinder isn't bad if you want to balance power with economy. As full load the corolla is slow in acceleration.

Maintenance both are OK but camry parts are expensive than corolla. The corolla also has simple engine and parts even the sport version. I have 2 corolla in the family 04 and 07 the 07 has auto lock on moving the gear lever to Dallas, factory installed keyless entry, fog light.

Security both are robber magnet though the 06-07 corolla and most camry come with standard factory alarm systems, they can't be stolen whole when parked on like earlier models, but snatching at gun point has been major user experienced.

Verdict I would push to buy 06-07 corolla staying away from the sport due to bad roads and those with open roof as our weather conditions causes damage to the seals allowing leaks into the cabin.

If you like the camry, leave the SE and XLE with side skirts cause of our roads, push for a LE with all the bells and whistle (luxury edition with factory leather seats) but note most of the people using camry with non chalant attitude end up changing transmission.

Please can you tell me which is best between Camry XLE, LE and SE ranging from 2007 to 2010

@nurey
@everyone
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dozieson(m): 4:04pm On Nov 17, 2023
KDInteriors:

Please can you tell me which is best between Camry XLE, LE and SE ranging from 2007 to 2010

Camry 2007-2009 is different from Camry 2010-2011 in terms of engine, transmission and electrical systems

XLE is always more luxury than SE and LE
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by KDInteriors: 4:54pm On Nov 17, 2023
Dozieson:

Bros avoid 2008/2009 with 2AZ engine. it burns oil a lot. Go for the V6 Highlander or Rav 4.
Your corolla is a solid car if not for the ground clearance that you need
Bro please what’s the meaning of this higher ground clearance
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by KDInteriors: 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2023
Dozieson:

Camry 2007-2009 is different from Camry 2010-2011 in terms of engine, transmission and electrical systems

XLE is always more luxury than SE and LE
Okay bro
Tell me about the 2010 series(XLE, LE and SE) first please tho I will also want to know about the 2009 series too if it won’t be much stress for you🤲
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 5:16pm On Nov 17, 2023
KDInteriors:

Okay bro
Tell me about the 2010 series(XLE, LE and SE) first please tho I will also want to know about the 2009 series too if it won’t be much stress for you🤲
XLE, LE and SE are just trims meaning accessories is what differentiate the vehicles, they have same engine, transmission and body identical to 95%.

XLE has leather, better audio system, reverse cam with dvd screen etc it is always more expensive because it Carries premium features.

LE is luxury edition, it may have leather things that are standard in XLE trim will be optional on it meaning the person buying new can add something's he likes.

SE is sport edition has added body kits and side skirts to make it look sporty with tuned suspension for sporty ride but not good for bad roads in naija.

Focus on XLE or LE of the vehicle. The 07 to 09 engine is known for oil burn on the 4cylinder engine reason we always advocate for the 2010 or 2011 4cylinder

6 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dozieson(m): 7:31pm On Nov 17, 2023
KDInteriors:

Okay bro

Nurey has explained all you need to know

(1) (2) (3) ... (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

Viewing this topic: walesdam(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.