Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (446748 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by hakimi1974(m): 10:39am On Sep 11, 2018
nurey:

Honda had vcm issues in majority of their 3.5L V6 line up with vcm from accord to odyssey to pilot. most individuals could manage theirs while others had jerks lasting 45secs.

it wasn't only Honda gmc also designed an engine like that but they disable the vcm when it was giving issues.

Honda never did a recall though due to number of cars with such engine but did draw up a bulletin for software update etc. The known solution most people tow is to disable the VCM some said changing engine mounts helps too
thanks ooo Oga nurey for this info, I appreciate. I dey enjoy your wise crack for nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:10am On Sep 11, 2018
hakimi1974:
thanks ooo Oga nurey for this info, I appreciate. I dey enjoy your wise crack for nairaland.

you are welcome. though the issue was never reported in j35 fitted Acura and not all V6 users complained.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by olumide4christ: 11:19am On Sep 11, 2018
nurey:

Honda had vcm issues in majority of their 3.5L V6 line up with vcm from accord to odyssey to pilot. most individuals could manage theirs while others had jerks lasting 45secs.

it wasn't only Honda gmc also designed an engine like that but they disable the vcm when it was giving issues.

Honda never did a recall though due to number of cars with such engine but did draw up a bulletin for software update etc. The known solution most people tow is to disable the VCM some said changing engine mounts helps too

Thanks so much sir for your prompt response.

Are you saying that the VCM problem is only limited to vehicles with the 3.5L V6?

Also, does this issue affect the 2008 - upwards models of the Honda Pilot?
Thanks sir.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:44pm On Sep 11, 2018
olumide4christ:

Thanks so much sir for your prompt response.

Are you saying that the VCM problem is only limited to vehicles with the 3.5L V6?

Also, does this issue affect the 2008 - upwards models of the Honda Pilot?
Thanks sir.

yes the VCM is only fitted to V6 engines j35

the vcm is a tech that allows V6 engines to only utilise 3 to 4 cylinders at steady speeds in the range of 40 to 60mph Honda is secretive about it.

yes it does also the 04 to 06 pilot 2WD has the j35 vcm engine.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by kajo: 10:05pm On Sep 11, 2018
Thank you for elaborate reply

nurey:

The ES350 is a reliable car as long as you don't buy a lemon or a poorly maintained one.

the explorer is a good car too, not as reliable as the lexus, parts of ford are cut throat, interior wise not as luxurious especially the XLT but has some basic things like nav, rear view camera.

dead spots on the explorer due to its exterior design but not as pronounced as the 1st generation infiniti fx series.

The year difference considered has advantage of part failure on the Ford, in the luxury and tech section not so much as the ES350 is a luxurious vehicle out of the box.

pick the Ford for ground clearance, build stance and solid parts known about ford.

pick the lexus if the specimen is ok, better fuel economy and luxurious feel.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 10:21pm On Sep 11, 2018
nurey:

3.2 L J32A3 (270 hp) V6 04-05 then (258hp) 06-08
3.5 L J35A8 (286hp) V6 type S

c230 2.5L V6 201hp

maintenance Acura TL just an upscale/luxurious accord DC

balance c230 the type S only comes close

durability acura

resale value both are poor but the benz has an edge here.

the acura is faster, has a good mpg and has a solid luxurious build.

the c230 isn't bad, not good for a family guy due to its small interior space solid sports sedan but not the fastest of the lot.

Thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by olumide4christ: 1:15am On Sep 12, 2018
nurey:

yes the VCM is only fitted to V6 engines j35

the vcm is a tech that allows V6 engines to only utilise 3 to 4 cylinders at steady speeds in the range of 40 to 60mph Honda is secretive about it.

yes it does also the 04 to 06 pilot 2WD has the j35 vcm engine.

Thanks so much for all the explanations...God bless you! This means the Honda Pilot isn't a too good idea then undecided undecided undecided[size=8pt] angry angry
Thanks sir.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:58am On Sep 12, 2018
olumide4christ:

Thanks so much for all the explanations...God bless you! This means the Honda Pilot isn't a too good idea then undecided undecided undecided[size=8pt] angry angry
Thanks sir.

if you buy a well maintained one, you will be fine. most attribute the jerking issues with oil change interval and some don't even experience the issue throughout years of use.
probably the specimen you are buying must have had its vcm disabled. Honda Pilot is a good car and popular on our roads

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by olumide4christ: 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2018
nurey:

if you buy a well maintained one, you will be fine. most attribute the jerking issues with oil change interval and some don't even experience the issue throughout years of use.
probably the specimen you are buying must have had its vcm disabled. Honda Pilot is a good car and popular on our roads

Thanks so much Mr. nurey...God bless you!
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by cartwright1: 1:08pm On Sep 13, 2018
Nurey, please compare the following in terms reliability, maintenance, availability of parts, and fuel economy.
1999 Mercedes Benz W202 C180
2002 BMW 318i facelift.
Thanks.
PS, I'm currently in the East.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 1:39pm On Sep 13, 2018
cartwright1:
please compare the following in terms reliability, maintenance, availability of parts, and fuel economy.
1999 Mercedes Benz W202 C180
2002 BMW 318i facelift.
Thanks.
PS, I'm currently in the East.

Mercedes benz for reliability, the w202 is an indestructible german machine but a rusty old bucket if not well maintained cheesy

The C180 is a good engine as it has low tech engine parts compared to the 6cylinder variants

benz wins here, parts abound but both have very solid parts.

Both vehicles are extremely close as they are below the food chain in their respective lineup.

do the benz for easy access to parts and technician know how

Pick the BMW just to stand out. The 318 is a 150hp slow ride though has the finesse of the ultimate driving machine but with those 4cylinder ponies, baba every jap you encounter will leave you in their dust.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by weyreypey: 1:46pm On Sep 13, 2018
nurey:

Mercedes benz for reliability, the w202 is an indestructible german machine but a rusty old bucket if not well maintained cheesy

The C180 is a good engine as it has low tech engine parts compared to the 6cylinder variants

Both vehicles are extremely close as they are below the food chain in their respective lineup.

Pick the BMW just to stand out. The 318 is a 150hp slow ride though has the finesse of the ultimate driving machine but with those 4cylinder ponies, baba every jap you encounter will leave you in their dust.
You are wrong about the w202 rust issues. It's a very rare occurrence unlike the prefacelift W210's.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2018
weyreypey:

You are wrong about the w202 rust issues. It's a very rare occurrence unlike the prefacelift W210's.

weyreypey defender of benz universe. I repeat the w202 is a rusty ol bucket, not as bad as the w210s E class but still a rusty ol bucket.

am in my house come and bite me

7 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by cartwright1: 3:52pm On Sep 13, 2018
nurey:

Thanks , I appreciate. I deliberately kept to the 4cylinders of both cars. I can still do a C280 or 328i of both years but bros, economy no good so man gats do wetin him go fit afford without tearing holes in your pocket all in the name of running costs grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by weyreypey: 3:52pm On Sep 13, 2018
nurey:

weyreypey defender of benz universe. I repeat the w202 is a rusty ol bucket, not as bad as the w210s E class but still a rusty ol bucket.

am in my house come and bite me
I disagree sir.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:05pm On Sep 13, 2018
cartwright1:

Thanks , I appreciate. I deliberately kept to the 4cylinders of both cars. I can still do a C280 or 328i of both years but bros, economy no good so man gats do wetin him go fit afford without tearing holes in your pocket all in the name of running costs grin

Meh, the whole V6 vs i4 maintenance thing is overplayed. Get a V6 and enjoy your car. I really can't ever see myself driving an i4, except maybe a charged one and even that is iffy.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lillyontop(m): 7:12am On Sep 14, 2018
Please I will like you to compare these 3 cars for me Lexus is, gs and es 2008/09 model
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:45am On Sep 14, 2018
lillyontop:
Please I will like you to compare these 3 cars for me Lexus is, gs and es 2008/09 model

nothing much to compare
GS is above ES which is above the IS

The GS and IS have V8 powered engines while the ES has 4cylinder (jdm) and a V6 but let us work with their common engine type. The 4cylinder IS is a diesel engine.
GS300/350 vs ES350 vs IS250/300/350

IS350 has 306hp compact luxury vehicle
ES350 has 272hp midsized luxury vehicle
GS350 has 303hp midsized luxury vehicle.

All the vehicles are ok and have class in their respective zone.

I don't want to talk too much the winner in Nigerian context is the lexus ES with its 3.5L 2grfe shared by Toyota V6 lineup will ensure you have parts and technician know how. it has the premium feel and quality build. if you don't want to spend too much on repairs and constant visits to mechanic workshop pick the ES with the Mark Levinson Sound system and rear backup camera.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by SortOut: 5:27pm On Sep 14, 2018
Kindly compare 2007 Toyota Corolla vs Lexus IS350 (2008),...also Honda CR-V vs Toyota Rav4 - 2009 models
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:12pm On Sep 14, 2018
SortOut:
Kindly compare 2007 Toyota Corolla vs Lexus IS350 (2008),...also Honda CR-V vs Toyota Rav4 - 2009 models

corolla vs IS350 this is an abomination of comparism

The corolla is a low budget vehicle with ease of maintenance and good fuel economy with a high reliability rating. Though a high robber magnet

the lexus IS is a PERFORMANCE meets SPORTS to produce POWER. The 3GR-FSE ensures it's 0-60 mark stays at early 5secs, unique design, weight and streamlined body ensures the body utilises the almost 303hp derived from the engine.

everything about the IS is premium leather, in dash nav, cruise control, laser lane assist, backup camera, alloy rim, sun roof, driver memory seat etc.
Attention: the engine in the IS is around a million buck for replacement needs premium fuel, engine oil and filter and regular uncompromised maintenance but also reliable.

Rav4 vs CRV
rav 22/28 2.5L I4
crv 20/27 2.4L I4

Rav4 has a 3rd row version and a V6 engine.

both vehicles are ok pick the one you fancy most.

5 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by SortOut: 9:33pm On Sep 14, 2018
nurey:

The corolla is a low budget vehicle with ease of maintenance and good fuel economy with a high reliability rating. Though a high robber magnet

the lexus IS is a PERFORMANCE meets SPORTS to produce POWER. The 3GR-FSE ensures it's 0-60 mark stays at early 5secs, unique design, weight and streamlined body ensures the body utilises the almost 303hp derived from the engine.

everything about the IS is premium leather, in dash nav, cruise control, laser lane assist, backup camera, alloy rim, sun roof, driver memory seat etc.
Attention: the engine in the IS is around a million buck for replacement needs premium fuel, engine oil and filter and regular uncompromised maintenance but also reliable.

Rav4 vs CRV
rav 22/28 2.5L I4
crv 20/27 2.4L I4

.... abomination of comparison, you nailed it. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by olumide4christ: 12:58pm On Sep 15, 2018
nurey:

Rav4 vs CRV
rav 22/28 2.5L I4
crv 20/27 2.4L I4

Nice explanation sir! In my opinion, the RAV4 is unnecessarily too expensive to procure in the 1st place...imagine someone on Nairaland was advertising a 2010 RAV4 for N5.7 million!!
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2018
olumide4christ:

Nice explanation sir! In my opinion, the RAV4 is unnecessarily too expensive to procure in the 1st place...imagine someone on Nairaland was advertising a 2010 RAV4 for N5.7 million!!

Rav4's hold their values pretty well, no surprise. That said, 5.7m for a 2010 Rav4 is just nonsense.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ThierryJay: 11:33pm On Sep 15, 2018
Welldone guys. U peeps re doing a wonderful job.

Could you help determine which is an overall better car (tokunbo) to buy between a Ford Edge SEL 2011 vs Toyota Venza 2010 vs 2007 Lexus GS 300 vs Acura MDX 2006. Budget is 4 - 5.5million. Thanks.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 3:23am On Sep 16, 2018
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:18am On Sep 16, 2018
ThierryJay:
Welldone guys. U peeps re doing a wonderful job.

Could you help determine which is an overall better car (tokunbo) to buy between a Ford Edge SEL 2011 vs Toyota Venza 2010 vs 2007 Lexus GS 300 vs Acura MDX 2006. Budget is 4 - 5.5million. Thanks.

ford edge vs venza
ford SEL i4 2.0 ecoboost Turbo 240hp 19/27 fuel economy
ford SEL 3.5 V6 305hp 18/25 fuel economy

venza i4 2.7L 21/27 FWD remove one each for AWD
venza 3.5L V6 18/26 FWD remove one each for AWD

The Ford SEL is not the highest trim but we'll loaded with in dash 6CD loader, cloth seat 6way driver memory with ford my touch.
attention:
1. my touch misbehaves and most dash function is embedded here
2. Too basic for the price tag interior wise
3. the turbo in the 4cylinder is 150,000miles/10 years by 2021 you may need to replace the unit.
4. needs premium fuel
Venza is a well taught out vehicle and highly reliable the 2.7L isn't bad but has a high cabin noise which is know amongst vehicles fitted with such engine (hiace, hilux).
attention:
1. vague steering feel which makes it very far from a performance ride
2. uninspired trim levels not as loaded as the Ford.

For reliability and fuel economy the Venza is a car you will enjoy day in day out the V6 would ensure reduced road noise and optimum acceleration, enough cargo space not the most fancy.
The Ford edge is an upscale CUV able to hold its own, solid build and huge stamping hp, very strong parts.

Go for the Venza for reliability and fuel economy, pick the Ford to stand out and it's build quality.

Lexus GS300 vs MDX

both vehicles are luxurious than the first 2 even with year deficit.
i don't know why you added a sedan in the mix .

mdx 3.5L V6 265hp 17/23
the mdx is luxurious out of the box and has a 3rd row. well equipped to the tooth than the Ford or venza the only downside is
1. that shape is like old school
2. known to have transmission issues but I think the 03 to 06 was reviewed. so you are probably safe.

in order of preference
1. Venza V6 AWD limited
2. ford edge limited
3. Lexus GS300
4. MDX

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:29am On Sep 16, 2018
HRtechnique:
Kia Rio 2007 - 2009 Vs Honda City 2007.
Both Nigerian used.

the city comes with Honda i-DSI engine with 8plugs (2 plugs per cylinder 4cylinder x 2 plugs = and the automatic transmission is the CVT type.
1.3iDSI
8plugs
1.5iDSI
8plugs
1.5 vtec (normal)

that inverted knife shape isn't ideal at all.

The rio you will get is the Nigerian version highly stripped down with minimal safety features, low tech.

on paper the city beats the rio hands down but in real life the rio has a solid build and body would still be intact after years of use.

I would pick the kia Rio auto or manual over the manual or CVT city.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by NobleEngineer(m): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2018
Benz W202 or Corrolla 2001 model
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:00am On Sep 16, 2018
NobleEngineer:
Benz W202 or Corrolla 2001 model

reliability, maintenance, ease of use, knock about vehicle, resale value all goes to the corolla

build quality, status vehicle, performance ride, a bit of luxury all goes to the w202

if you can keep the w202 in pristine condition for 15 years + it will probably become a classic to be sold for huge amount.

but petrol engine may become obsolete by then, rapture may happen before then, humans may have moved to another planet grin

5 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 8:25am On Sep 16, 2018
nurey:

the city comes with Honda i-DSI engine with 8plugs (2 plugs per cylinder 4cylinder x 2 plugs = and the automatic transmission is the CVT type.
1.3iDSI
8plugs
1.5iDSI
8plugs
1.5 vtec (normal)

that inverted knife shape isn't ideal at all.

The rio you will get is the Nigerian version highly stripped down with minimal safety features, low tech.

on paper the city beats the rio hands down but in real life the rio has a solid build and body would still be intact after years of use.

I would pick the kia Rio auto or manual over the manual or CVT city.

Thanks.
Nurey sir, what do you think about maintenance for Kia Rio in terms of the following:

1. Parts availability.
2. Parts cost.
3. AC repairs if problematic.
4. Any major issues known with the Kia Rio.
5. Resale value.

You may reply at your spare time.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by NobleEngineer(m): 8:54am On Sep 16, 2018
Oshey sir, i hope I'm right that the W202 is more fuel efficient
nurey:

reliability, maintenance, ease of use, knock about vehicle, resale value all goes to the corolla

build quality, status vehicle, performance ride, a bit of luxury all goes to the w202

if you can keep the w202 in pristine condition for 15 years + it will probably become a classic to be sold for huge amount.

but petrol engine may become obsolete by then, rapture may happen before then, humans may have moved to another planet grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.