Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,908 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (444370 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:31am On Sep 16, 2018
NobleEngineer:
Oshey sir, i hope I'm right that the W202 is more fuel efficient

the corolla is more fuel efficient than the C180 which is the smallest engine in the line up
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:36am On Sep 16, 2018
HRtechnique:

Thanks.
Nurey sir, what do you think about maintenance for Kia Rio in terms of the following:

1. Parts availability.
2. Parts cost.
3. AC repairs if problematic.
4. Any major issues known with the Kia Rio.
5. Resale value.

You may reply at your spare time.

parts available, cost ok depends on what you are changing, AC not problematic, issues non to the best of my knowledge. resale value ok for automatic low for manual
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 16, 2018
Please Help me compare

Infinity g35 2008

Toyota Camry 2008

Lexus es350 2007/08

And

Nissan altima 2008

In terms of performance, maintenance(as a first time car owner),fuel consumption,spare parts and technicians... Thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2018
KingLinglee:
Please Help me compare

Infinity g35 2008

Toyota Camry 2008

Lexus es350 2007/08

And

Nissan altima 2008

In terms of performance, maintenance(as a first time car owner),fuel consumption,spare parts and technicians... Thanks

performance G35

maintenance camry and ES350

fuel consumption 4cylinder camry and Altima

spare parts All have spare parts available but in terms of cost cheapest Altima-Camry-Lexus-G35

technicians Camry-Lexus-Altima-G35

G35
VQ35HR 3.5L V6 303hp

Altima
2.5 L QR25DE I4 175hp
3.5 L VQ35DE V6 270hp

Camry
2.4L 2AZ-FE I4 158hp
3.5L 2GR-FE V6 286hp

Lexus ES350
ES 3.5L 2grfe V6 272hp

the lexus and G35 are very close in luxury offerings, but the G35 parts are a bit expensive, Lexus more reliable as the engine is same fitted with the V6 camry just a tricking to boost hp.

in terms of preference I would arrange your choice
Lexus ES
Camry i4 for economy V6 for power
Infiniti G35 for standing out, power and performace
Altima has a CVT transmission which is stereotyped in Nigeria, doesn't have a good resale value.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:34pm On Sep 16, 2018
Nissan CVT's are shite, nothing about a stereotype.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by oseiwe(m): 9:11pm On Sep 16, 2018
please help me compare highlander vs 4runner 09 versions, I learnt its FWD vs RWD.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:45pm On Sep 16, 2018
oseiwe:
please help me compare highlander vs 4runner 09 versions, I learnt its FWD vs RWD.

Highlander
2.7L I4 187hp and 3.5L V6 270 hp
20/27 for AWD
22/28 for FWD

4runner
4.0L V6 245hp (expensive engine)
4.7L V8 260hp
17/20 V6
15/19 V8

The highlander has a 3rd row seating while some rear occasions the 4runner has a 3rd row version or you can fit it in.

The highlander is a CUV and the AWD is part-time the 4runner is an SUV and the AWD is full time.

pick the 4runner only if you need extreme off road vehicle good for farm runs and one in a while off road show off.

The fuel economy of the highlander isn't bad has a good ground clearance. would be ideal for in city riding and travelling too.

if you are not hauling cargo around, into construction and not a farmer that goes into gully and slippery territory to me the 4runner is not worth, the highlander is good enough.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 16, 2018
nurey:

performance G35

maintenance camry and ES350

fuel consumption 4cylinder camry and Altima

spare parts All have spare parts available but in terms of cost cheapest Altima-Camry-Lexus-G35

technicians Camry-Lexus-Altima-G35

G35
VQ35HR 3.5L V6 303hp

Altima
2.5 L QR25DE I4 175hp
3.5 L VQ35DE V6 270hp

Camry
2.4L 2AZ-FE I4 158hp
3.5L 2GR-FE V6 286hp

Lexus ES350
ES 3.5L 2grfe V6 272hp

the lexus and G35 are very close in luxury offerings, but the G35 parts are a bit expensive, Lexus more reliable as the engine is same fitted with the V6 camry just a tricking to boost hp.

in terms of preference I would arrange your choice
Lexus ES
Camry i4 for economy V6 for power
Infiniti G35 for standing out, power and performace
Altima has a CVT transmission which is stereotyped in Nigeria, doesn't have a good resale value.

Thanks a lot boss

Please what car would you advise a first time inexperienced car owner to buy

(Budget 3m maximum, tokunbo ,and something fitting for a young boy of say 21-25)
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:30pm On Sep 16, 2018
KingLinglee:

Thanks a lot boss

Please what car would you advise a first time inexperienced car owner to buy

(Budget 3m maximum, tokunbo ,and something fitting for a young boy of say 21-25)

G35.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by weyreypey: 11:36pm On Sep 16, 2018
nurey:

the corolla is more fuel efficient than the C180 which is the smallest engine in the line up
Quit dabbling into Mercedes matters. You're right about the fuel economy though
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Diamondjuli: 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2018
Please between rav4 2010 and corolla 2010 which of them will you advice a first timer to buy. Age 45-50.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:57pm On Sep 16, 2018
Diamondjuli:
Please between rav4 2010 and corolla 2010 which of them will you advice a first timer to buy. Age 45-50.

CUV vs Sedan. Different classes. Rav4 costs almost twice the Corolla brand new.

Get the Rav4, sir. It's a bit small, though. Why not an Acura MDX?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 11:22am On Sep 17, 2018
Please can we use Mobil 1 for a Kia Cerato that has been using Total oil from inception. Vehicle was purchased brand new.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2018
HRtechnique:
Please can we use Mobil 1 for a Kia Cerato that has been using Total oil from inception. Vehicle was purchased brand new.

if there is no sludge in the engine you can switch to full synthetic oils. Because synthetic oils have detergent in them, they will wash off the sludge causing havoc in the engine.

Also what kind of weight is the total oil?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2018
nurey:

if there is no sludge in the engine you can switch to full synthetic oils. Because synthetic oils have detergent in them, they will wash off the sludge causing havoc in the engine.

Also what kind of weight is the total oil?

Will check for the weight.
Kia Cerato 2009.
No havoc with the engine. Nothing at all.
Its just due for servicing and we are thinking of switching to Mobil1.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Emmanuelson(m): 4:59pm On Sep 17, 2018
Hello everyone , thank you for the good work here.

Please can you compare Camry(muscle ) with Lexus Rx330 for a young man (27years) buying his first car. Both toks , fuel economy , rugged and availability of parts, luxury and speed, and general cost of maintenance, which is more advisable for everyday use on not a very good road. I’m open to suggestions of cars within range of 2.5M to 3M max.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:15pm On Sep 17, 2018
Emmanuelson:
Hello everyone , thank you for the good work here.

Please can you compare Camry(muscle ) with Lexus Rx330 for a young man (27years) buying his first car. Both toks , fuel economy , rugged and availability of parts, luxury and speed, and general cost of maintenance, which is more advisable for everyday use on not a very good road. I’m open to suggestions of cars within range of 2.5M to 3M max.

Mid-size sedan vs luxury SUV.
Availability of parts: Equal
Ruggedity: RX330
Luxury: RX330 by far
Fuel economy: Camry (i4/V6)
Performance: Camry V6>RX330>Camry i4
RX is an SUV, better ground clearance.
Maintenance will be more expensive on the RX330.

Buy the Lexus. Both are widely popular but the RX is still a significantly better car.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Emmanuelson(m): 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Mid-size sedan vs luxury SUV.
Availability of parts: Equal
Ruggedity: RX330
Luxury: RX330 by far
Fuel economy: Camry (i4/V6)
Performance: Camry V6>RX330>Camry i4
RX is an SUV, better ground clearance.
Maintenance will be more expensive on the RX330.

Buy the Lexus. Both are widely popular but the RX is still a significantly better car.

Thanks for the comparison and advice.
But when you said maintenance in Rx 330 is more expensive than Camry were you talking about just in terms of the fuel economy and spare parts or other things. I’m a first time buyer and have little experience about cars and prefer something I can easily maintain. Also in terms of market price I bet the Rx330 should be more expensive but what’s the price range difference like. I have a 2.5M - 3M budget. Thanks again sir
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 18, 2018
Hello...So, I'm making plans to purchase a car soon, and I thought it wise to consult all the car gurus and fellow nairalanders. I have always admired the Kia Rio (mainly because of their stylish exteriors and interiors). The one that catches my fancy most is the Kia Rio (2012) pictured below:

What do you think of this car? I know so many Nigerians believe in Toyota and Honda. I've read reviews about Kia on the web and I know they have a not-so-good history, but they started making amends from the 2010 model I think. So, is this a good option? I Like the Toyota Corolla 2007 LE (I know everyone will praise it), but I hate the design (both interior and exterior). Lol.

The 2005 C240 4Matic is also an option.

Kindly leave your honest reviews, especially about the Kia. Thank you.

Cc Nurey, heavenlybang, nwanneni,

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:17am On Sep 18, 2018
MasterRahl:
Hello...So, I'm making plans to purchase a car soon, and I thought it wise to consult all the car gurus and fellow nairalanders. I have always admired the Kia Rio (mainly because of their stylish exteriors and interiors). The one that catches my fancy most is the Kia Rio (2012) pictured below:

What do you think of this car? I know so many Nigerians believe in Toyota and Honda. I've read reviews about Kia on the web and I know they have a not-so-good history, but they started making amends from the 2010 model I think. So, is this a good option? I Like the Toyota Corolla 2007 LE (I know everyone will praise it), but I hate the design (both interior and exterior). Lol.

The 2005 C240 4Matic is also an option.

Kindly leave your honest reviews, especially about the Kia. Thank you.

The rio is ok just note that the compressor gives way easily also the engine is the most expensive of the lot just ensure you don't used wrong oil and don't let engine overheat you will be fine.

The corolla is a good buy too but a robber magnet.

The C-class is a respect luxurious car and that year you are looking at is ok too.

any you are choosing ensure you inspect it well

4 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 18, 2018
nurey:

The rio is ok just note that the compressor gives way easily also the engine is the most expensive of the lot just ensure you don't used wrong oil and don't let engine overheat you will be fine.

The corolla is a good buy too but a robber magnet.

The C-class is a respect luxurious car and that year you are looking at is ok too.

any you are choosing ensure you inspect it well
Thank you Sir nurey. With good maintenance and proper usage, the C-class should be fine. As you said, the corolla is a robber magnet. Lol. The kia overheats, which means I can't drive long distances right?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:29am On Sep 18, 2018
MasterRahl:
Thank you Sir nurey. With good maintenance and proper usage, the C-class should be fine. As you said, the corolla is a robber magnet. Lol. The kia overheats, which means I can't drive long distances right?

the kia does not overheat necessarily don't misquote my words.

The engine is expensive and when it overheats most people can't afford a replacement so they ask mechanic to rebuild and the job is not always done properly hence a smoking engine.
I have only noticed such with majority of those who got it from companies.

The kia engine is good only the AC compressor gives way easily

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 18, 2018
nurey:

the kia does not overheat necessarily don't misquote my words.

The engine is expensive and when it overheats most people can't afford a replacement so they ask mechanic to rebuild and the job is not always done properly hence a smoking engine.
I have only noticed such with majority of those who got it from companies.

The kia engine is good only the AC compressor gives way easily
Alright. I'm at a Crossroad now between the Rio & the C-class.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:54am On Sep 18, 2018
MasterRahl:
Alright. I'm at a Crossroad now between the Rio & the C-class.

only you can make that decision when you test drive both vehicles

Also rahl only rides horses and carriages why the change in style? grin

4 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2018
nurey:

The time for horses have passed. So MasterRahl have to move with the times.
Boss what can I get for N820, 000 Nigerian used.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2018
HRtechnique:

The time for horses have passed. So MasterRahl have to move with the times. Boss what can I get for N820, 000 Nigerian used.
I will go for a 2005-2011 kia rio or hyundai accent 2002-2005 Honda Civic non hybrid version
if I want ground clearance and fuel economy 2000-2008 kia sportage 2000-2005 suzuki jimny/vitara
if I desire an SUV for off road tough experience second generation isuzu/Honda Rodeo/pilot or
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2018
HRtechnique:

The time for horses have passed. So MasterRahl have to move with the times. Boss what can I get for N820, 000 Nigerian used.
I will go for a 2005-2011 kia rio or hyundai accent 2002-2005 Honda Civic non hybrid version
if I want ground clearance and fuel economy 2000-2008 kia sportage 2000-2005 suzuki jimny/vitara
if I desire an SUV for off road tough experience second generation isuzu/Honda Rodeo/pilot or
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:17pm On Sep 18, 2018
HRtechnique:

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:17pm On Sep 18, 2018
HRtechnique:

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2018
nurey:

I will go for a 2005-2011 kia rio or hyundai accent
2002-2005 Honda Civic non hybrid version

if I want ground clearance and fuel economy
2000-2008 kia sportage
2000-2005 suzuki jimny/vitara

if I desire an SUV for off road tough experience
second generation isuzu/Honda Rodeo/pilot or

Thank you!
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2018
nurey:

Lol. Legend of the Seeker....I loved that movie.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:42pm On Sep 18, 2018
MasterRahl:
Lol. Legend of the Seeker....I loved that movie.

yes it was a hit front to front grin

Master Rahl guide us

Master Rahl protect us

In your light we thrive

In your wisdom we are humbled

We live only to serve

Our lives are yours"

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.