Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,379 members, 7,822,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. (7168 Views)

Pastor Dave Ogbole Accused Of Sexual Abuse After Defending Pastor Fatoyinbo / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by TheMadame(f): 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ubenedictus:

I am not the person who used sarcasm, you can address him.

I consider child abuse to be a despicable depravity that should always be condemned and the perpetuators brought to justice.

unfortunately it present in the Catholic Church and even Protestant churches in Christianity and other religions, even in schools and groups, it is not only a Catholic problem and we must all be committed to stopping it wherever it is found.

You are the one explaining to the members of the forum that your Catholic priest explaining anal raped as "horsing around" was being sarcastic,therefore I need to address you promptly as well as him.
So in your wisdom because sexual scandals exist in the protestant,other religions,in schools and groups we should continue to hypocritically sheild the rapist/serial sex abuser priests as the Pope has done by going silent,deaf and dumb and not responding to Carlo Vigano who has openly stated that he informed this current Pope of these sexual scandals years ago but the Pope chose to pardon the offender's?
What is more sickening than that?
The church should be protected while the children abused by these sick Catholic priests should be silenced and not receive justice?
Any member of the Catholic church defending these abusers,I have just one question for you:-"Can you in your heart of heart leave your under age kids with any Catholic priest? "
Will such a child be safe with such a priest?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 4:21pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ubenedictus:

I am not the person who used sarcasm, you can address him.

I consider child abuse to be a despicable depravity that should always be condemned and the perpetuators brought to justice.

unfortunately it present in the Catholic Church and even Protestant churches in Christianity and other religions, even in schools and groups, it is not only a Catholic problem and we must all be committed to stopping it wherever it is found.

shocked shocked
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2018
[quote author=TheMadame post=70811629]
Any member of the Catholic church defending these abusers,I have just one question for you:-"Can you in your heart of heart leave your under age kids with any Catholic priest? "

JAMB question.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2018
TheMadame:

You are the one explaining to the members of the forum that your Catholic priest explaining anal raped as "horsing around" was being sarcastic,therefore I need to address you promptly as well as him.
So in your wisdom because sexual scandals exist in the protestant,other religions,in schools and groups we should continue to hypocritically sheild the rapist/serial sex abuser priests as the Pope has done by going silent,deaf and dumb and not responding to Carlo Vigano who has openly stated that he informed this current Pope of these sexual scandals years ago but the Pope chose to pardon the offender's?
What is more sickening than that?
The church should be protected while the children abused by these sick Catholic priests should be silenced and not receive justice?

sorry I believe I quoted you mistakenly I wanted to quote dantedasz response to aaronsrod, I was trying to tell dantedasz that Aaronsrod must be using sarcasm, sorry if I came across as unclear.

to clarify, I do NOT support the rape of children nor do I support such cover up, both are despicable which is why I clearly said such people should be prosecuted. I do not support silence of the pope in such serious accusation but I am not the pope, let him answer for himself.

anybody protection rapist is not protecting the Church, he is protecting himself and his career and harming the Church.

1 Like

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by TheMadame(f): 5:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ubenedictus:

sorry I believe I quoted you mistakenly I wanted to quote dantedasz response to aaronsrod, I was trying to tell dantedasz that Aaronsrod must be using sarcasm, sorry if I came across as unclear

Okay.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 5:22pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ubenedictus:

sorry I believe I quoted you mistakenly I wanted to quote dantedasz response to aaronsrod, I was trying to tell dantedasz that Aaronsrod must be using sarcasm, sorry if I came across as unclear.

to clarify, I do NOT support the rape of children nor do I support such cover up, both are despicable which is why I clearly said such people should be prosecuted. I do not support silence of the pope in such serious accusation but I am not the pope, let him answer for himself.

anybody protection rapist is not protecting the Church, he is protecting himself and his career and harming the Church.

It seems you are correct about Aaronsrod. I went to his timeline and read his past posts. He really is an atheist who applies sarcasm.
On the issue of the Catholic church scandals,I believe we should all condemn those priests who abuse children and give the church a bad name
We should also condemn people like Pope Francis who sheild these abusers.

1 Like

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:22pm On Sep 01, 2018
[quote author=Dantedasz post=70811903][/quote] I am not a defender of abuse but it is wrong to stereotype Catholic priests in this manner.

from primary 3 -6 I was very close to my parish priest, my parents had no problem leaving me alone with him, he was caring, kind and the best human being I have ever seen, I still visit him till date for advice, he also spent a lot of time with my sick grand dad whenever we werent home, he never did anything to me, I was always safe with him, I served at mass, went on retreat and joined him in his office hour, I was always safe and have met several such priest in my life.

I would have no problem leaving my kids with a priest, all my life of moving with priests even leaving in the Church house for holidays, I have NEVER come across a pedophile.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 5:26pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ubenedictus:
I am not a defender of abuse but it is wrong to stereotype Catholic priests in this manner.

from primary 3 -6 I was very close to my parish priest, my parents had no problem leaving me alone with him, he was caring, kind and the best human being I have ever seen, I still visit him till date for advice, he also spent a lot of time with my sick grand dad whenever we werent home, he never did anything to me, I was always safe with him, I served at mass, went on retreat and joined him in his office hour, I was always safe and have met several such priest in my life.

I would have no problem leaving my kids with a priest, all my life of moving with priests even leaving in the Church house for holidays, I have NEVER come across a pedophile.

I wouldn't advise you to leave your kids with any Catholic priest in the modern age no matter your personal past experience.
Just advice.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by ifyalways(f): 7:52am On Sep 03, 2018
TheMadame:

I just watched the video and I feel like throwing up. Five sisters from one family abused by this monster who escaped justice by dying before he could be charged to court.
I just watched one of the videos. So sick.

Why did the family accept to be paid off initially?
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by ifyalways(f): 8:00am On Sep 03, 2018
Dantedasz ppost=70658123:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5W97XmNw8
sick world we live in . I pity parents who hands over their children to religious men for ANY reason.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by TheMadame(f): 10:02am On Sep 03, 2018
ifyalways:

I just watched one of the videos. So sick.

Why did the family accept to be paid off initially?

Good morning ma,
I watched many of the video's -sickening stuff.
Most victims are probably threatened into accepting pay offs because of ignorance and fear of "touching God's annointed."
In hind sight,who knows why they accepted pay offs.
All I know is that anyone who leaves his child (male or female) in the hands of a catholic priest/nun is asking for trouble.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 1:46pm On Sep 03, 2018
Dantedasz:

I wouldn't advise you to leave your kids with any Catholic priest in the modern age no matter your personal past experience.
Just advice.
modern age ke?

these crimes you are just hearing about now were committed decades ago. the Pennsylvania report cover from about 80 years ago till the 1990, the accused in that report are long dead and are all out of ministry, not a single one is still ministering, those who are not dead are on their death bed.

in fact the American Catholic Church has long reformed the way such cases are handled and has one of the best anti abuse policy in the country in fact much better than the public schools where abuse is still 10 times worst.

funny enough the Protestant churches have a similar abuse record yet I don't hear you saying that people should not leave their kids with their pastors, the public school system is still worse in abuse and yet nobody is saying kids shouldn't be left with teachers.

in today America it is said that the Catholic Church is still the safest place for kids

1 Like

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 1:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
grin @ubenedictus,
The more I read your posts on this issue,the more it is clear you did not watch the videos or you are being deliberately ignorant.
If all the priests have died according to you should the Catholic church not name and shame them? Why is the pope reinstating clergy men who are known abusers to office?
Why are you mentioning protestants when we are discussing Catholics? How is abuse by the Catholics different from abuse by protestants? Abuse is abuse but the Catholic church led by Pope Francis has been sheilding the priests accused of abuse!
Finally,when you finish reading I have two questions for you-
1.Why did Pope Benedict resign from office?
2.Why did Archbishop Carlo Vigano ask Pope Francis to resign from the papacy?
I await your response.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:03pm On Sep 03, 2018
ifyalways:

sick world we live in . I pity parents who hands over their children to religious men for ANY reason.
don't forget that your kid is more likely to get abused in school by his teachers than by the so-called religious men.

also remember that 30% abuse against a child was by a blood relative.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by gwama: 2:06pm On Sep 03, 2018
To be a good Catholic priest, one must be born a eunuch or become a eunuch, otherwise all others are only hypocrites, either they subscribe to prostitutes, or they sleep with children. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:09pm On Sep 03, 2018
TheMadame:

Good morning ma,
I watched many of the video's -sickening stuff.
Most victims are probably threatened into accepting pay offs because of ignorance and fear of "touching God's annointed."
In hind sight,who knows why they accepted pay offs.
All I know is that anyone who leaves his child (male or female) in the hands of a catholic priest/nun is asking for trouble.

critique these crimes objectively, child abuse is no solely found among Catholic priest, it is also among Protestant pastors, Jewish rabbi etc, and even worse in schools.

if your solution is to withdraw the kid from any place where there is likelihood of abuse then you may remove them from your families, schools, churches, nannies, etc maybe from all human contact.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:13pm On Sep 03, 2018
gwama:
To be a good Catholic priest, one must be born a eunuch or become a eunuch, otherwise all others are only hypocrites, either they subscribe to prostitutes, or they sleep with children. angry angry angry angry angry
according to Jesus this comment is untrue.

For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and
there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by
others--and there are those who choose to live like
eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The
one who can accept this should accept it." matt 19
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:26pm On Sep 03, 2018
Dantedasz:
grin @ubenedictus,
The more I read your posts on this issue,the more it is clear you did not watch the videos or you are being deliberately ignorant.
If all the priests have died according to you should the Catholic church not name and shame them? Why is the pope reinstating clergy men who are known abusers to office?
Why are you mentioning protestants when we are discussing Catholics? How is abuse by the Catholics different from abuse by protestants? Abuse is abuse but the Catholic church led by Pope Francis has been sheilding the priests accused of abuse!
Finally,when you finish reading I have two questions for you-
1.Why did Pope Benedict resign from office?
2.Why did Archbishop Carlo Vigano ask Pope Francis to resign from the papacy?
I await your response.
I didn't watch your videos because I have long been following the abuse issue for close to 5 years. it is not new to me. the video will not provide me with information I don't have already.

some diocese in the US have began doing that, they publish names of accused priest on their website, there is a downside to that because it open the diocese to false litigation just to get money. from what I read of pope Francis he seems to be reducing the canonical penalties against some accused because he believes that mercy must be part of justice. I don't believe pope Francis has shielded any body from police investigation.

if abuse is abuse then condemn all of it not just because they are Catholics.

Benedict resigned because he said his energy was failing and a more energetic person needed.

vigano is asking for the popes resignation because he accuses the pope of removing canonical penalties instituted against card mccarrick, mccarrick was earlier accused of abusing young adult, he was recently accused of abusing a child 40 years ago. as far as I know nobody prevented the police from investigating mccarrick.
if the Pope did remove canonical penalties then that is bad, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the whole story before jumping into conclusion.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by TheMadame(f): 2:37pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ubenedictus:

critique these crimes objectively, child abuse is no solely found among Catholic priest, it is also among Protestant pastors, Jewish rabbi etc, and even worse in schools.

if your solution is to withdraw the kid from any place where there is likelihood of abuse then you may remove them from your families, schools, churches, nannies, etc maybe from all human contact.

I would like to respond to your post but you keep on amending your posts so many times that what one responds to is now made to look a different thing.
Please stop amending your posts after you have been responded to. It does not make for a fair debate. Thank you.

What I am saying is the abused children need justice. The catholic church has not been just to these abused children because the priests are coveniently dead or transfered to another country or being protected outright by the catholic church.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 2:42pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ubenedictus:
I didn't watch your videos because I have long been following the abuse issue for close to 5 years. it is not new to me. the video will not provide me with information I don't have already.

some diocese in the US have began doing that, they publish names of accused priest on their website, there is a downside to that because it open the diocese to false litigation just to get money. from what I read of pope Francis he seems to be reducing the canonical penalties against some accused because he believes that mercy must be part of justice. I don't believe pope Francis has shielded any body from police investigation.

if abuse is abuse then condemn all of it not just because they are Catholics.

Benedict resigned because he said his energy was failing and a more energetic person needed.

vigano is asking for the popes resignation because he accuses the pope of removing canonical penalties instituted against card mccarrick, mccarrick was earlier accused of abusing young adult, he was recently accused of abusing a child 40 years ago. as far as I know nobody prevented the police from investigating mccarrick.
if the Pope did remove canonical penalties then that is bad, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the whole story before jumping into conclusion.

Watch this. Forget the official story of Benedict's resignation. It's all a spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q2HSJ6cbMY
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:43pm On Sep 03, 2018
Dantedasz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5W97XmNw8
just watched this, this guy committed crimes in the 70s and 80s, he was kicked out of the priesthood and he just went on and reinvented himself in another place.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 2:54pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ubenedictus:

grin
I thought you earlier stated that all the Catholic priests accused of sexually abusing children were all dead and that the abuse happened many years ago?
Is McCarrick a ghost?
In fact McCarrick was accused of several cases of sexually abusing children and as such was removed from position of authority in the church by the last Pope Benedict.
Pope Francis assumed office,pardoned McCarrick and gave him more position of authority despite being warned by Carlo Vigano that McCarrick is a serial child abuser .
This is the reason why Vigano asked Pope Francis to resign. Please stop sugar coating issues .
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 2:58pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ubenedictus:
just watched this, this guy committed crimes in the 70s and 80s, he was kicked out of the priesthood and he just went on and reinvented himself in another place.

Watch this one too. Catholic priests and Nuns abusing dumb children because they felt they could not talk. It happened in a Catholic school for deaf and dumb kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDqSuUOLR8
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by wirinet(m): 3:02pm On Sep 03, 2018
Dantedasz:

Just advice.

But you would advise leaving your children with pentecostal pastors in this modern age?

Now view this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguzQRSP3K0

This is T. B . Joshua being accused of sexually molesting children.

There have been stories of pentecostal pastors abusing and even slapping minors but their followers come out to vehemently defend them.

So as Jesus said, let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

1 Like

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 3:22pm On Sep 03, 2018
wirinet:

But you would advise leaving your children with pentecostal pastors in this modern age?

Now view this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguzQRSP3K0

This is T. B . Joshua being accused of sexually molesting children.

There have been stories of pentecostal pastors abusing and even slapping minors but their followers come out to vehemently defend them.

So as Jesus said, let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Jesus H Christ!!!
You Catholics just don't get it do you?
All forms of sexual abuse are wrong. If you check my posting history I am not supporting any religious organisation. I am all for justice for victims of sexual abuse in the church.
What you Catholics have been doing on this thread is to fail to apportion blame to priests and Nuns who have serially abused children in their care. Name and shame any body who uses the sheild of religion to abuse children kept in their care. Let the abused children recieve justice. What you Catholics have been doing is tantamount to saying-"Yeah,there is abuse in the Catholic church but we are not the only ones,look across the road,see the protestants and Muslims are abusing children too."
Catholics should remove the log in their eyes before removing the log in the protestant and Muslims eyes.

1 Like

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by gwama: 3:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ubenedictus:
according to Jesus this comment is untrue.

For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and
there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by
others--and there are those who choose to live like
eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The
one who can accept this should accept it." matt 19

Precisely, it is this last category of priests who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of God, who commit all these sexual crimes, because in doing so the will of man alone is not enough. angry angry
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 7:49pm On Sep 03, 2018
gwama:

Precisely, it is this last category of priests who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of God, who commit all these sexual crimes, because in doing so the will of man alone is not enough. angry angry
the will of man isnt enough, they must be men of God

1 Like

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Ubenedictus(m): 8:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
Dantedasz:

Jesus H Christ!!!
You Catholics just don't get it do you?
All forms of sexual abuse are wrong. If you check my posting history I am not supporting any religious organisation. I am all for justice for victims of sexual abuse in the church.
What you Catholics have been doing on this thread is to fail to apportion blame to priests and Nuns who have serially abused children in their care. Name and shame any body who uses the sheild of religion to abuse children kept in their care. Let the abused children recieve justice. What you Catholics have been doing is tantamount to saying-"Yeah,there is abuse in the Catholic church but we are not the only ones,look across the road,see the protestants and Muslims are abusing children too."
Catholics should remove the log in their eyes before removing the log in the protestant and Muslims eyes.

all abusers of course should face the law, that post doesn't dispute that or shift the blame. instead it questions the objectivity generalising priest as abusers and saying that kid are unsafe whenever a priest is around. that is just wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Caveatemptor(m): 9:03pm On Sep 03, 2018
Ubenedictus:

all abusers of course should face the law, that post doesn't dispute that or shift the blame. instead it questions the objectivity generalising priest as abusers and saying that kid are unsafe whenever a priest is around. that is just wrong.

Guy, when you born pikin carry am put for day care wey Catholic priest dey run you hear.
Na sorry go be your middle name . No need for arguement.
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 9:25am On Sep 04, 2018
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by Dantedasz(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2018
Re: Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. by ifyalways(f): 10:19pm On Sep 04, 2018
TheMadame:

Its all religious figure heads ie pastor,priest, imams for me.

Good evening ma

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience With Olumba Obu(ooo) / Christ Embassy’s Top Female Pastor, Dolapo Oni In Debt Scandal.... / Christians And The Use Of Goya Olive Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.