Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,046 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Very Short Story: Waste Of Time - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Very Short Story: Waste Of Time (1750 Views)

For The Sins Of My Parents (very Short Story) / My Collection Of VERY Short Stories.....WRITTEN by JADOSKI / In Our Prime. A Very Short Medical Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 12:16am On Aug 29, 2018
Hi guys. This is a very very short story. Should be done in three days or so. I'm not promising to dazzle y'all with this story. In fact you might hate me when the story is over cause it might not end the way you want it to. Some might like it tho. Anyways, I'm posting this in what some of you might consider a whim. I would call it a I-just-felt-like-posting-it moment for me. So, enjoy it.

Or simply don't.
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 12:35am On Aug 29, 2018
*ONE*

I ran so hard and fast because my life absolutely depended on it. I'd stirred the hornets nest and now, I'm getting paid back in full.

I looked back and saw the menacing figure, teeth bared, hard on my heels. How did I get to this point?

I swore to God, like I have done in many dire situations, that if I escaped this ordeal unscathed, I'll turn my life around, be a good boy and give my life to Him.

Ok, you all wanna know what the heck is happening, right? No problem, I'll let you in.

Bola and I have been classmates right from SS2, when I transferred into the school a year back. She's definitely not the most beautiful girl in my class. In fact, she won't even make it to the top ten among the fifteen ladies in my class. A little plump, but on a chubby face that insinuated mischief from time to time, or maybe paranoia, (who knows?), she had one of the most pleasant smiles I've ever seen though, her dimples a major factor contributing to her pretty smile.

Apart from all these qualities, she was just an ordinary plump sixteen year old, chocolate skinned girl with her current height reaching my chest. She's the kind of girl I could hug and her head would be directly on my chest, hearing the pounding of my heart. And I'm approximately 5ft tall. So do the math...

I'm definitely not in love with Bola though. Apart from the fact that she became my seat mate when we graduated to our final class, didn't have much to talk to her about because I'm the kinna dude who finds it hard to relate with ladies. Bola and I, apart from the customary good mornings, shared nothing much. Besides, my puppy eyes were set on the more elegant Ella, who was my junior by a class.

So you can imagine my shock when Bola spoke to me about a week towards our WAEC exams. It wasn't as much she talking to me that shocked me. It was the content of our discourse.

I was chatting with some of my friends during our break period when I heard my name called.

"Samuel." came her quite tiny voice. It was more like a whisper

I looked around like the actual Samuel in the Bible, searching for whom needed my attention. I saw Bola behind me looking sheepishly. What does she want?

I gave her the yes-I'm-listening look, waiting for her to talk.

"Please I would love to talk to you privately. Do you mind?"

I was very sure that as they heard that statement, my two friends who were with me, would have had their minds spinning like a drifting motorcycle. Dayo and Jamal are by far the most perverted dudes I've known in my 16 years in this world. They had done things far beyond their ages and always made it a point of discussion when we were all gisting. I was the only 'spotless lamb' of the trio because my timid nature helped keep me untainted.

Well, I told them both i would be back and gestured for Bola to take the lead. I could see them in my mind's eye sneering and insinuating about Bola and I's tête-à-tête. Well, good riddance.

She led me to the rails that kept us from falling over from the second floor where our class was.

"So...." I said, resting on the rails, while I waited for her to state the reason for wanting to have word with me.

"Yeah, the thing is that, I noticed how good you are in mathematics and our mathematics exam comes up in about three weeks time."

I stared at her thoughtfully knowing where she was driving at. My mind worked very fast so I was already weighing it in my mind if it would be convenient to help her or not.

Raising her head to meet my eyes, she asked the obvious question, "Can you help me out with it?"

I always had free time after school. My mum gets back home around seven in the evening from her shop. I'm an only child so there were little responsibilities for me apart from doing dishes and sweeping the house. Mum still didn't trust that I could cook without torching the house after an incident that occurred where mum asked me to cook yam for my lunch. I ended up sleeping after putting the food on fire. Mom walked in, by some divine leading she decided to come home early that day, only to find that her house was full of smoke. She went the source of the smoke which was the kitchen and found the yams in the pot burnt black. Needless to say, I am banned from touching both the electric and gas cooker till further notice.

"Teaching you is feasible, but you do know that we can't do this in the school, right?"

The school policy was that every student was to vacate the school premises after thirty minutes of the closing period. From the rumors I heard, two final year students were caught 'in the act' after school hours before I transferred into the school. After the announcement of their suspension and the intense ass whooping that followed, the principal placed an embargo on students staying behind after school hours. Anyone caught would receive the beating of their lives.

"Yes I know that. We could always meet at my house. It's quite quiet and it's not very far from yours. Shey you get?"

She replied my question like she had thought it through eons ago. A part of me was alarmed at that, but the other part of me couldn't see the harm she could do to me in her house. I could over power her easily if worst comes to worse. At least that's what my sixteen year old brain assured me of.

"No problem then. When do we start?" was what came next from my lips. This could help me also. I heard somewhere that teaching what you know helps to widen your horizons.

"We can start tomorrow. I'm sure you know where my house is. How about 5'oclock? I always do some chores when I get home, so I won't be chanced till then."

"Fine by me." I said as I turned to start down the stairs behind me.

"I want to get something to eat. We will talk later."

"Alright. Thanks Sammy." She gave a smile that almost weakened my knees. Almost

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 10:01pm On Aug 29, 2018
*TWO*

I walked into the class twenty minutes later after I was done at the school canteen. Needless to say, the food there has been awful since time immemorial, but wetin man go do?.The only thing good about their food is the quantity.

Grateful that Dayo and Jamal had made themselves busy with something other than idle talks, thereby not noticing when I walked in, I went straight to my seat which I shared with Bola. Exchanging short greetings, I took up my Essential Biology textbook to read up a bit. I hate biology, mind you. The mumbo jumbo concerning breeding, DNA, RNA, etcetera sickened me. But I had a photographic memory, which came in handy for art students like me.

Our class prefect, as soon as she heard the bell signaling the end of break time, walked past me. My head could not but raise itself in acknowledgement of her minute invasion of my world. Remember Ella? My crush? The reason I couldn't take a second look at Bola or any other girl? She was our class prefect. I watched as she gracefully took each step towards the doorway. I took in how pretty she was, dark skinned, slender, almost my height, an oval face to die for, and her eyes a slight shade of brown. Of course I couldn't see her eyes as she walked past me, which one sided puppy lover will not take notice of such minute things? Uhn?

As my face went back to my biology textbook, the subject of my attention swallowed up by our classroom door, my eye caught a glimpse of Bola looking at my side. You know there was this kind of spider-sense that tells you when someone is watching you.

Well, I had a feeling someone was staring at me as I worshiped the goddess of my heart as she walked by me, but I ignored it, the spectacle before my eyes subduing the sensible part of my brain.

I reflexively turned to her and saw this mischievous smile plastered on her face. I looked at the left side of where I was seated but saw no one she could possibly be smiling at. I looked back at her and I saw that she had already burst into a light chuckle. In my mind, I was like, Wah is doing this one?

Then it hit me like a sledge hammer. Damn! She saw me drooling after Ella's advancing figure. Inside me, I was hoping she wasn't the gossiping type. We were soon to leave the school, but I didn't want it spreading to the whole class that I was crushing on the most beautiful girl in class. At least I thought she was.

'Uhms' and 'ehms' accompanied with a confused stuttering 'I' and 'you sees' escaped my lips, at which her chuckles changed to laughter. I feared the whole class would focus their attention to our side, art students are known for poke nosing into people's affairs just to know what the latest gists among themselves could be.

She raised her hands and stopped my failed attempt at the defense of my actions and said to me amidst chuckles.

"Don't worry, I've known about you crushing on Ella right from the second week we started sitting together."

Uh oh. That means she has been seeing me as some kind of dork right from that time.

"Wait, you what?" I asked, bewildered.

"Well,..." was all she could say as she was cut short by the entrance of our literature teacher and Ella.

Bola's words lingered in my ears as we rose to extend the routine 'good afternoon, blah blah' greetings to the short, already balding literature teacher.

Needless to say that I didn't concentrate on the words of my favorite teacher in the school.

PS- Chapter 3 might come in tonight, and it might not. Also, it might be the last chapter and it might not be. Who knows? smiley
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 4:47am On Sep 05, 2018
THREE

And my lack of concentration spanned till the next class. And the next. And the next. And the next. What's in this babe's mind? If I noticed such in another person, the first thing that would appear in my mind's eye is a smirk on my face and a large insignia screaming DORK!?! But here I am now, in that imaginary person's shoes and my face is like 'meh' like in emoji movie with a small placard placed on my neck. NERDY DORK! LOOK AWAY!?!

School ended that day without us touching the subject in question. Well, actually, after our first time opening up the portal to that subject, I had the chance to talk to her about, but I balked at the idea and just upped and ran away when it was time for our short break that lasted for about fifteen minutes. The thought of talking about it scared me. I've never even told Dayo and Jamal about my feelings for Ella. It's been my secret idolized thing, you know?

But right then, they were the only safe haven that I could think of that could save me from the impending storm.

"Dayo, Jamjam, how far?" With a weak fake smile, I approached our usual meet point which was the seat they shared in class. They have been seat mates ever since I met them. They were already seated on the table with their foot on their co-joined elongated chair that could accommodate at least three students without them squeezing themselves. The classroom had enough of the joined chairs and tables for us all to seat in twos though.

"Sammy for the girls! How far na? I no know say u don dey control Bola now fa? I suppose dey fear you ooo. Coded nigga!" Jamal said, giving me a soft punch on the shoulders as I sat on the table facing them. I couldn't believe I heard that come out from Dayo's mouth. Well I could, given its Dayo anyway. But still I couldn't. Me and Bola was just like saying that water was in a love relationship with oil, what has darkness got to do with light. I just went mum. Dayo just went on to add pepper to the sour wound.

"Every time we dey talk our talk, he go just dey do like saint dey tell us say make we stop. Ashey, he don turn baba for the girls." He said amidst fits of laughter that sounded like an old motorcycle engine.

They just kept tossing me to and fro between each other with their sharp tongues. I felt like I was Rey Mysterio being battered by Randy Orton and Sheamus. How cruel is that though? I resolved in my heart to keep what I wanted to say to myself. They just showed me they wouldn't handle it well. I wouldn't hear the last of it.

The bell for the short break soon rang. Time for the next class. Two more classes till I get out of this class. I can't wait.

Bola was already seated when I got back. I just sat down glumly beside her and looked at her. She looked at me, smiled and looked away. Then she asked for a note which I gave.

Well, school came to an end, at last. Felt so long. I waited for Jamal and Dayo as we always walked half the road home together before we went our separate ways. We talked about various petty things, made jest of our mathematics teacher's trousers, made fun of our government teacher's glass which made her look like a witch. Perhaps she was, because she made up for that look in character as well.

Dayo and Jamal got to the street where they would veer off and we said our goodbyes. I walked on for about thirty seconds only to hear my name called. Sure, we stayed in the same estate, but she ain't someone I want to talk to or see right now. I thought she took bikes home from school. Apparently, she didn't today just for one reason. To plague my existence.

I turned to look at the figure that called me. With an ethereal smile plastered in her face, she finally came into pace with me.

"Hello Bola." I said dryly.

I'm sorry for the late update. Sickness caught up with my body. Will be uploading the last three episodes this week. I guess this might not be a 'very very short story' anymore. Thanks for the views.
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Enny2013(f): 5:27pm On Sep 07, 2018
updates please... I am enjoying dis
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by OlufemiWhit(m): 11:44am On Sep 08, 2018
Good work....continue
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 11:28pm On Sep 09, 2018
FOUR

"Hello Bola."

"Hi Sammy. Not so happy to see me right?" She replied, a knowing gleam in her eye.

"Why would you say that?" I said as I gave a quick smile. I knew it was a fake smile, and judging from the reactions of a few ladies I gave those in the past, I wasn't too good at giving those. And from the sly grin on Bola's face, she noticed also.

"Nothing, I just felt that I was the last pet in the world you want to talk to right now.

"Oh..." was the only thing that escaped my lips. My head was in a rampage already. I felt like talking about 'the revelation' but I didn't know where to start. How do I start such conversations? 'Uhm, yeah, so you found out that I'm in love with Ella. So what do you think?' Utter crap! Who in the world says that? Keep silent, I will.

We walked on for the next three to four minutes before I broke my vow of silence.

"Erm Bola, about this afternoon, erm what you said." I was beginning to regret opening my mouth. Here I was stuttering like an utter idiot.

"Don't bother explaining. I read somewhere that at the sixteen to seventeen, you guys emotions begin to develop, so it's not a big deal. I feel things that you feel at times too. So it's nothing."

To say I was wowed was an understatement. I've only heard such ring of maturity from my mum and dad, and maybe uncle Tobi at times (Uncle Tobi is a story for another day). Perhaps it doesn't look mature now that I narrate this, but as a sixteen year old kid, I rarely put myself in others shoes. I was as selfish as any other teenager.

"Wait, so you have a boyfriend?" I said, quizzing her for information. What I was actually doing was that I was turning the conversation from my side. The smile on my face told me she knew what I was doing, but for some reason, she decided to play along.

"Well, I used to have one but we broke up a long time ago."

A long time ago, as in two weeks, two months or even two years? That what my mind wanted to blurt out, but I decided against it. I decided to go for a less embarrassing question.

"But you do have feelings for someone right now, don't you?"

We had to cross a road at that point so I didn't get my answer immediately. We crossed the road and went through the big, green painted estate gate.

"Yes, I didn't get your answer to my question." I queried.

"Why do you want to know? A few hours ago, I was the last person you wanted to talk to." She gave this friendly smile that showed me she was just teasing me. She sure smiles a lot, doesn't she? And she's got a real gorgeous smile. I said that before, right? At that moment, she seemed more beautiful.

Spreading my arms with a shy smile on my face, I replied, "I'm just curious, you know. This 'feelings' thing is kind of new to me. I just want to know sha."

At this point we had gotten to her house, but all of a sudden, I didn't want our conversation to end. She put her hand through a small hole in the gate and opened the gate from within. As she opened the gate ajar, I almost felt she wasn't going to answer me at all. But little did I know that I was in for a shocker.

"Okay. Do you know there is someone who loves you more than you think you love Ella?" After saying this, she walked into her compound. She turned to close the gate as she mouthed a silent 'bye-bye' to me. Just as the gate came to a final close, she winked.

Yep. Definitely a shocker.

Two episodes to go, hopefully. I'm hoping I'll be able to wrap this up soon, cuz ion even know how this story will end. Thanks for reading through.
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 11:29pm On Sep 09, 2018
Enny2013:
updates please... I am enjoying dis

Aiit ma'am. Thanks for reading through.
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2018
OlufemiWhit:
Good work....continue

Thanks bro. Really appreciate.
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Enny2013(f): 10:45am On Sep 10, 2018
Tnx fr d update...I am relieved a bit nw
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 9:52pm On Sep 22, 2018
FIVE

"Samuel, you are banned from my kitchen. Don't touch anything here again ooo. Omo kekere ara e! Ki lon finu ro to fi fo abo mi? (A small child like you. What are you thinking about that you broke my plate?)"

Those were the words that praised my efforts to help her with the dishes. I decided to help my mum out when she came home. Normally, I hated doing the dishes, but my head had been befuddled ever since that evening. The scene kept replaying in my head over and over again.

"Do you know there is someone who loves you more than you think you love Ella?"

What the heck did she mean? Is she in love with me? Wait, lets back it up here. Bola and Samuel? How could we ever work? I tried to imagine Bola and I together just as I have with Ella, but my mind could not just comprehend it. I'm not in love with her, but why am I feeling so tense?

I walked away as mum indefinitely exiled me from the kitchen. Her punishment didn't do anything to take my mind off of the incident. Yeah, I gave it a name. The Incident. I absolutely ignored the fact that I was supposed to help mum pack up the two plates I broke. My mum, a pretty petite lady in her late thirties, has never raised her hand on me since I turned fourteen. She said once that she wanted to raise me better. So anytime I do something she places punishments like ban from tv for some weeks, seizure of my phone, that sorta thing, just like in the Hollywood movies.

I walked to my room and just laid on my bed pondering on Bola's disruption of my peaceful life, until I slept off.

Ella has finally asked me to come to her house and she asked me to come today. Boy, am I elated. I found myself in my best attire and walked over to her house. As I walked up to her gate, I fleetingly saw the 'Beware of dogs' warning on the gate, but I ignored because Ella had told me earlier that once I got to the gate, all I needed to do was come in.

As I opened the gate, I saw Ella standing at her doorway, but the smile on my face turned into apprehension when my gaze shifted down to the space between I and her. Right there was a jet black Rottweiler, lying on its belly. The slow rise and fall of its body suggested it was asleep.

Ella just stood smiling as she beckoned me to come in. But the strange thing is, that smile of hers was akin to sinister. All of a sudden, I didn't trust her. But I'm here already, ain't I?

I put my right leg accross the gate opening, and just as if it could feel a vibration on the floor, the dog opened its eyes. I heart almost literally jumped to my mouth. As if it wasn't menacing enough, the dog stood to its feet and stretched like an athlete ready to engage in a marathon.

I couldn't take my eyes off this monstrosity, but I heard Ella say, "Come on in, it will not harm you, trust me." Trouble is, when I looked up at her face for a split second, she was still wearing that sinister smile as perfectly as the short gown that exposed her beautiful thighs. Oh, those thighs I have daydreamed of just laying my head upon in hopeless abandon.

I looked back at the Rottweiler and I could almost swear it was smiling. But it was also a smile close to evil, or glee that it's snack has finally arrived. I decided to take one more step into to the compound, with my hand still on the gate door handle when the dog started its incessant barking. The shock that jolted me caused me to release the gate handle which swung the gate wide opened. I swore that I could smell my own demise at that moment. Why didn't this girl just chain up the dog or put it in it's cage? Why didn't she? Was she playing some sort of game with me.

"Samuel, just come in, it will not hurt you." Ella said amidst the barks. This time I couldn't look at her face. I was damn scared. But I decided to take a 'step' of faith and just move forward when the dog started towards me. No one told me twice to run. I ran screaming my lungs out of my chest, but the terrifying thing is, the monster of a dog followed, its barks getting ever closer as I ran. It was out to draw blood. My blood!

I ran because my life depended on it. People whom I saw on the way just swerved and watched on as I pleaded for help. Some even laughed at the unfolding scene. Now all I just wanted was to be on my bed, enjoying the air conditioner that cooled my room. But here I was, running a race that I must not lose. I said I silent prayer to God that, promising to be a much better guy if I got out of this.

It looked like I had run for about ten minutes when I saw a man up front, walking towards us. He wore a white shirt and a blue denim jeans. A quick glance at his face reminded me of my dad, mum, Uncle Tobi, my pastor and everyone whom have ever genuinely showed love to me.

"Sir, help me!" I cried out! I was desperate, and the dog was already gaining on me. He stood, and spread his arms wide open, as if gunning for an embrace. What is this man doing? How would him embracing me help me out. But his words and the gentle smile on his face made my heart soften.

"Just run into my embrace and you will be safe." I knew instantly that I would be safe in his arms. I ran with a the last ounce of energy in me and leaped into his arms. He covered me in a firm embrace and turned. As he turned, I could see the Rottweiler leap into the air like a lion making for its prey. Its impact pushed us both to the floor, but somehow, I didn't feel the impact of the fall. But I could immediately hear screams of pain from my helper's lips. I was still covered with his body on the floor, but I could deduce what was happening. The dog was ravaging his body in search of my. All I could do was scream and cry. But it wasn't because I was afraid, but because someone else was taking the fall for me. My helper jerked his head backward as the dog tore a chunk of the skin on his right side. He was constantly turning and moving to keep me protected from the dog.

Why is he doing this? Why is he saving me? This was meant to be me! Why would he do this? Every decision I made led me to this point, so it should be me clawed and bitten by the demon dog. I only asked him to help me, not for him to give himself to be torn to shreds. His white shirt, by now, had turned crimson. His blood was all over me. Why did he have to endure all this? Why?

All of a sudden, I heard a deafening whistling sound. The grunts that I could hear from the dog stopped. It was still there but something else had taken its attention. It peed at it through the arm of my protector, and saw that it looked intent on searching me out to tear me apart. But the whistle blew once more, and it began to trot back from whence we came.

I looked up at my helper's face. He was looking back at me with love in his eyes.

"Why?" Was all that escaped from my lips. My mind just couldn't comprehend this. Why?

He looked at me with so much intensity, as if he was in love with me, and he said, "What's yours is mine and what's mine is yours. I am yours and you are mine."

And right there, still shielding me with his body, he breathed his last.

I woke up soaked from my face up to my toes. What does this terrible dream mean? I looked up at the clock and saw it was just twenty four minutes past three. Needless to say, I didn't sleep the remainder of the night. What just kept lingering in my heart was, 'what did that dream mean?'

I'm sorry I was out for so long. Was busy with school work and all. Final year can be so tasking fa. I think this is the longest post I've written so far. The chapter 6 will be out soon which is the last chapter. Thanks for reading through. Arigato.
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Enny2013(f): 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2018
n tnx fr d update..
Re: Very Short Story: Waste Of Time by Tbekz(m): 3:39am On Sep 24, 2018
Enny2013:
n tnx fr d update..
You are welcome dear...

(1) (Reply)

Love In Due Season / So Far In The Life Of An Entrepreneur -a Story / Historical Analysis Of Chinua Achebe's There Was A Country (part 4)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.