Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,937 members, 7,952,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:04 AM

Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? (9785 Views)

For FG Workers: Delay In Salary Payment Since IPPIS Drama / How To Improve Your Chances For A Raise In The Workplace / How Do I Ask For Increment In Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by BlackSpanner: 8:29pm On Aug 31, 2018
Gratefulheart1:

Guy, get a life. Get something productive doing with your time. Except na plenty people dey use this una acct post but if na one person, then, u have to sit down and think about ur life. There is nothing impressive about this, it's just ridiculous. U really seem like one jobless nonentity. Show some levels, get busy and make yourself scarce. You becoming too cheap.

Bros!!! I Twale 4 you.
Take it easy, maybe that is what he does as an online Tiger to earn a leaving.
No use vex delete him destiny grin grin grin
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by ushafe(m): 8:30pm On Aug 31, 2018
In Nigeria companies is a big crime is even worst than committing murder
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by ushafe(m): 8:31pm On Aug 31, 2018
In Nigeria companies is a big crime is even worst than committing murder .
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 31, 2018
RicoBee, let me tell you about Nigerian Employers. They do not give a hoot about you. They never forgot about their probationary period, they deliberately made sure they omitted it. I don't know why you think a Company will be happy paying you more, No they won't. Paying you less is their greatest happiness irrespective of how productive you are.

Also discussing with your line manager is good but know that your line manager is also fight for himself *ONLY*. He/She really does not care about your well being.

What you should do is be overly searching for another job offer,

(1) Make it a deliberate decision to Apply to at least 3 Jobs a day,.
(2) Take time out to go for Interviews, you can call in sick some days.
(3) If you get a better offer, then present it to your company & ask that they improve your Wages.

This is not to make you feel bad, but the earlier the better you know that your Nigerian employer doesn't want the best for you. THE BETTER.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by qanda: 8:35pm On Aug 31, 2018
Not exactly
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Suko110(m): 8:36pm On Aug 31, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
Young man, there are two problems here.

1) You've NOT been confirmed
2) You judged yourself as being productive.

The former is a bigger problem, you're still sitting on the edge. You can't make official request that would make sense. I would advise you endure till you're confirmed which obviously will come with a raise.

The latter doesn't make sense. If it was your HR saying this about you then it does. Only your employer can say how productive you're forget the results you might be getting for now.

In summary, don't let your 'gragra' spoil things for you except you have another offer somewhere.
May your fountain of knowldedge never run dry . Amen
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by SEONaijaExpert: 8:41pm On Aug 31, 2018
Suko110:

May your fountain of knowldedge never run dry . Amen
Amen! Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Offpoint: 8:43pm On Aug 31, 2018
post=70790216:

Offpoint!

Our point have been passed across OkaNaUbe, ask your uncles that question in your family meeting tomorrow.
Ok, bye again!

Total and final knockout for OkaNaUbe! wink cheesy
Are you in love with me or something? why always talk me on nairaland?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
Offpoint:

grin I wanted to point that to the semi illiterate that there is difference between "Offpoint" and "off point".
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
Offpoint:

Lol wink Off point!
We can say yes, we love you.
We make love not war!
Only people looking for wahala get double wahala from us!
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by chinene1(f): 8:52pm On Aug 31, 2018
Speaking from experience. First send a formal mail to the HR seeking confirmation of your appointment. The email should have details of your appointment letter like starting date,how long you've worked, job description and terms and conditions of employment. Bear in mind that this may lead to a review of your performance so get ready for that. Normally during the review (mine was questioners and oral review) you may have a chance to mention a raise when asked about your expectations.
Based on the result of your review, you can then formally ask for a raise along with any other benefit your company offers confirmed staff.
Good luck.

RicoBee:
Dear Nairalanders, I really need your candid advice on this. I work in an organisation where the probationary period is 6 months. I have spent a year, yet my appointment has not been confirmed. I still earn the same salary. I discussed with my line manager but nothing tangible came out of it.

Truth is I have been productive ever since I resumed. Without wasting much time, please what is the best approach as regards getting an increase in salary? Should I discuss this with the owner of the company? What are the risks? Kindly advise me as I am in a dilemma. Thank you.

I would be grateful if this can be moved to the front page.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Offpoint: 8:53pm On Aug 31, 2018
post=70790798:
Lol wink Off point! We can say yes, we love you. We make love not war! Only people looking for wahala get double wahala from us!
This one you're using plural so, hope it's not what I'm thinking o....
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 9:02pm On Aug 31, 2018
Nigerians are sometimes there own nightmares not there boss. Nobody heard the guy speaking in terms of his contracts. He said the agreement was six months before probation and confirmation.

What is wrong with asking people to honor there agreement. If he has not perform as expected under the six months probation period. Why not drop him. If he has why not proceed to the next stage as stated in the agreement.

Nigerians please learn to know your rights. And try not to always negotiate from positions of weakness. You give yourself away too cheaply with unessary fear.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:10pm On Aug 31, 2018
Offpoint:

This one you're using plural so, hope it's not what I'm thinking o....
........perhaps! cheesy
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by AK481(m): 9:16pm On Aug 31, 2018
Push for confirmation first.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by braine(m): 9:33pm On Aug 31, 2018
You need to know how relevant you are first.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Offpoint: 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2018
post=70791423:
........perhaps! cheesy
Oh No! Hell No!

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by McFabian07(m): 11:16pm On Aug 31, 2018
Bro, let me just add to what has been said.
1. The first thing you need to do is compile results you've achieved for the company. Saying you're productive is subjective - results on the other hand do not lie.
2. Formally asked to be confirmed. write to your immediate superior, copy his/her Boss and HR. Highlight the results you've achieved for the firm, and politely asked for a review or meeting to discuss your career growth within the firm (of course to enable you add more value to them).
3. Update your CV with results stated in 1 above. and start passively applying for other positions.
4. If called for a meeting or review, make sure you have handy the list you compiled in 1 above, don't assume they'll remember. it's your bargaining chip no one can fault.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 12:41am On Sep 01, 2018
McFabian07:
Bro, let me just add to what has been said.
1. The first thing you need to do is compile results you've achieved for the company. Saying you're productive is subjective - results on the other hand do not lie.
2. Formally asked to be confirmed. write to your immediate superior, copy his/her Boss and HR. Highlight the results you've achieved for the firm, and politely asked for a review or meeting to discuss your career growth within the firm (of course to enable you add more value to them).
3. Update your CV with results stated in 1 above. and start passively applying for other positions.
4. If called for a meeting or review, make sure you have handy the list you compiled in 1 above, don't assume they'll remember. it's your bargaining chip no one can fault.

All the best.

As a Nigerian employer in multiple companies, I was just about to type pretty much this to you .

One of my employees just asked for the same thing yesterday. My answer was simple. "Why do you think you deserve a raise?" I'm waiting for his answer. Unbeknownst to him, he was already on the books to be given one wink hopefully his response doesn't change that.

Do not attempt this unless you have solid data to back why you deserve one and "I've been here 6 months and been productive" is not a solid reason. You're SUPPOSED to be productive. Have you accomplished more than you're supposed to and set yourself apart in any way? Simply doing your job is not enough.

Also, six months just coming off probation is a little early to be asking unless it was one of the terms of your hire that pay would be reviewed in six months when you got off probation. In my employee's case, it was one of the terms otherwise I would not entertain his request for a year.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 12:44am On Sep 01, 2018
Adakintroy:
Nigerians are sometimes there own nightmares not there boss. Nobody heard the guy speaking in terms of his contracts. He said the agreement was six months before probation and confirmation.

What is wrong with asking people to honor there agreement. If he has not perform as expected under the six months probation period. Why not drop him. If he has why not proceed to the next stage as stated in the agreement.

Nigerians please learn to know your rights. And try not to always negotiate from positions of weakness. You give yourself away too cheaply with unessary fear.

Sometimes the employee's performance is borderline so rather than terminate, we continue to watch before deciding. In my case though, we would have given him a performance review and let him know that was the case.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:48am On Sep 01, 2018
ajibolabd:
You are not alone bro....

You can say that again bro smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:49am On Sep 01, 2018
KingsCare:
Lol.
well as for me...i will tender a formal letter to whom it may concern......but worst worst..i will start an online job (maybe 2) to supplement my salary, It helps but i don't know why people are neglecting it. wink wink wink

EVERYDAY SIDE INCOME

https://www.nairaland.com/4707902/everyday-side-income#70789219

Thank you smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:50am On Sep 01, 2018
post=70789192:
Truth is I have been productive ever since I resumed. 

If your job is damn sure for you as you pointed out and you can be proud of it, and you also know what you are doing.... no shaking at all! You can surely ask for a raise!

But for the type that is known as lazy youth at work and has nothing to contribute , better don't try It!

Thank you. I appreciate your response. smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:51am On Sep 01, 2018
StarUp:
Ask for the raise but be ready to suffer the consequence in case your move backfires... Be rest assured that you are not the only one in this kind of dilemma (many of us are also in it).

Thanks for your contribution. May God make a way for us. smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:52am On Sep 01, 2018
RicoBee:

Thank you. I appreciate your response. smiley
You are always welcome.
Anytime.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:53am On Sep 01, 2018
BruncleZuma:
No...

Thank you smiley Please could you expatiate on this?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:53am On Sep 01, 2018
salbis:
You're not alone in this. Let me also learn.

I know right smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:55am On Sep 01, 2018
gideon1971:
Ask and it shall be given

So says d bible
Thank you smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 1:02am On Sep 01, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:
Young man, there are two problems here.

1) You've NOT been confirmed
2) You judged yourself as being productive.

The former is a bigger problem, you're still sitting on the edge. You can't make official request that would make sense. I would advise you endure till you're confirmed which obviously will come with a raise.

The latter doesn't make sense. If it was your HR saying this about you then it does. Only your employer can say how productive you're forget the results you might be getting for now.

In summary, don't let your 'gragra' spoil things for you except you have another offer somewhere.
Thanks for your contribution sir. Be that as it may, I didn't expect someone as elderly as you to use word(s) that are insulting in an attempt to drive home your point. I really don't know where the 'gragra' part is coming from. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Money Through Information Marketing / Sacked Oil Workers Protest Unpaid Severance Packages In Rivers / What Has Been Your Biggest Career Mistake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.