Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,718 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:40 AM

Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? (9790 Views)

For FG Workers: Delay In Salary Payment Since IPPIS Drama / How To Improve Your Chances For A Raise In The Workplace / How Do I Ask For Increment In Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 6:46am On Sep 01, 2018
RicoBee:

Thank you. I really appreciate your candour. smiley

Your welcome friend.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 7:20am On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

Sometimes the employee's performance is borderline so rather than terminate, we continue to watch before deciding. In my case though, we would have given him a performance review and let him know that was the case.

With all respect, you are not making any sense here. If his performance is boarder line like you said..should it not assume neutral tone at least first? And what do you mean by " rather than terminate??

If you are terminating, you are under the presumption that he has performed poorly..what if he had performed exceptionally well like he said under his six months probation?.what's the next step?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 7:33am On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

As a Nigerian employer in multiple companies, I was just about to type pretty much this to you .

One of my employees just asked for the same thing yesterday. My answer was simple. "Why do you think you deserve a raise?" I'm waiting for his answer. Unbeknownst to him, he was already on the books to be given one wink hopefully his response doesn't change that.

Do not attempt this unless you have solid data to back why you deserve one and "I've been here 6 months and been productive" is not a solid reason. You're SUPPOSED to be productive. Have you accomplished more than you're supposed to and set yourself apart in any way? Simply doing your job is not enough.

Also, six months just coming off probation is a little early to be asking unless it was one of the terms of your hire that pay would be reviewed in six months when you got off probation. In my employee's case, it was one of the terms otherwise I would not entertain his request for a year.

Lol great. What about the end of you not honorin your agreement..let's explore breach of contract
.or it just one of the pecks of being an employer.

You know? That irrational feel of "am your boss".. do what i want.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 7:45am On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

Sometimes the employee's performance is borderline so rather than terminate, we continue to watch before deciding. In my case though, we would have given him a performance review and let him know that was the case.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by row2ray(m): 9:08am On Sep 01, 2018
In my situation, at the time it wasnt just me who hadnt been confirmed 2 years after employment. So we took industrial action and downed tools.. Next day our confirmation letters showed up. But without increase in salary. That was a running issue for quite a while

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2018
SEONaijaExpert:

You really have an attitude problem, so much of self worth and rights. But that's not my issue, it's for your employers. I counselled you base on what you typed and nothing inside my comment is similar to an insult. Take it easy!

Attitude problem? Wow shocked! Of all the people that responded to my thread, isn't it amazing that you are the only one who 'believes' that I have an attitude problem just because I advised you to learn to be decorous in your use of words? I wonder what makes you think you are talking to a boy or someone you are older than just because we are in a faceless forum. You really need to take a lesson or two in people management. You strike me as someone whose mouth runs faster than a tap. Since you don't have anything intelligent to say, I advise you to get off my thread.

Last bullet: I'll never dignify you with further comments. Bye!
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by SEONaijaExpert: 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2018
RicoBee:

Attitude problem? Wow shocked! Of all the people that responded to my thread, isn't it amazing that you are the only one who 'believes' that I have an attitude problem just because I advised you to learn to be decorous in your use of words? I wonder what makes you think you are talking to a boy or someone you are older than just because we are in a faceless forum. You really need to take a lesson or two in people management. You strike me as someone whose mouth runs faster than a tap. Since you don't have anything intelligent to say, I advise you to get off my thread.

Last bullet: I'll never dignify you with further comments. Bye!
This is serious! I think you should go and fix yourself dude. What!
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

I'm female smiley

Did the company tell you exceeded expectations? What laurels? These are the things you come to the negotiating table with.

My bad! smiley To your question, No i wasn't told verbally, but aside from my responsibilities as stated in my appointment letter, I embarked on some project and also led my team to a competition in which we won out of about five companies.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 12:36pm On Sep 01, 2018
BruncleZuma:

Long Answer Warning

As with everything, people "grow"; they have an ever increasing need to do well and be better than when they started, their needs and wants also grow to reflect certain stages and phases of their lives.

That having been said, I will start with influence of inflation on income and according to Investpedia real income refers to the income of an individual or group after taking into consideration the effects of inflation on purchasing power. For example, if you receive a 2% salary increase over the previous year and inflation for the year is 1%, then your real income only increases by 1%.

In Nigeria on the other hand Nigeria; in 2017, the average inflation rate in Nigeria amounted to about 16.5 percent compared to the previous year which means your salary lost a 16.5% of its value every year. To survive this, one has to ask for an increase that is equal or greater than 16.5% so you they'd be capable of affording basic necessities.

Else they would be working and feel like they're being punished as their take home pay cannot afford the rising increase in the price of foodstuff, other commodities and services like data plans and TV subscription.

This is why DSTV and co. increases their fees every year, it's just to maintain their profit margins. They've been trying to beat loses accrued to inflation since they began operating.

In conclusion, it'll be disingenuous to one's sense of survival to continue on a particular salary for more than a year without asking for an increase or raise.

Add this to Israel-mao's and OkaN-aUbe's answers...

WOW! smiley Awesome! Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate your gesture.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 4:21pm On Sep 01, 2018
Adakintroy:

With all respect, you are not making any sense here. If his performance is boarder line like you said..should it not assume neutral tone at least first? And what do you mean by " rather than terminate??

If you are terminating, you are under the presumption that he has performed poorly..what if he had performed exceptionally well like he said under his six months probation?.what's the next step?

I think you need to put on your glasses and re-read my response. Rather than day "oh, you didn't quite[i][/i] make the cut and firing, i said we give them more time and also let them know through a performance review. Or are you saying we should simply fire them if they are borderline at the end of the six month probation period??
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 4:22pm On Sep 01, 2018
Adakintroy:

Lol great. What about the end of you not honorin your agreement..let's explore breach of contract
.or it just one of the pecks of being an employer.

You know? That irrational feel of "am your boss".. do what i want.

WTF are you talking about? Please tell me what part of the contract was breached.
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 4:29pm On Sep 01, 2018
[quote author=RicoBee post=70805854]

My bad! smiley To your question, No i wasn't told verbally, but aside from my responsibilities as stated in my appointment letter, I embarked on some project and also [b]led my team to a competition in which we won out of about five companies.[[/b]/quote]

Okay so you have tangible evidence that something you did brought the company prestige. While i think you should have more accomplishments than that under your belt (especially more recent/consistent achievements), it's worth a shot especially if winning that competition greatly added to your company's bottom line financially or significantly increased your company's customer base in some way. If you can get any of your superiors to write a praise letter (formal or informal) or if you have any past email simply saying "good job", i think those things coupled together would make it hard for your employer to refuse your request.

Do you mind me asking you current pay and the kind of raise you are expecting?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2018
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by RicoBee(m): 5:05pm On Sep 01, 2018
[quote author=radautoworks post=70811947][/quote]

Thank you. smiley
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 7:52pm On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

I think you need to put on your glasses and re-read my response. Rather than day "oh, you didn't quite[i][/i] make the cut and firing, i said we give them more time and also let them know through a performance review. Or are you saying we should simply fire them if they are borderline at the end of the six month probation period??

I don't know how you got here. I was never arguing for borderline performance. In the event of an employee doing exceptionally well, whats the next step? Or they never seem to perform exceptionally within six months?

The brother argued that he believes he had perform exceptionally. Given that his employers were not coming forth to access him. Don't he have the right to approach in line with the terms of the contract?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Adakintroy: 8:12pm On Sep 01, 2018
radautoworks:

WTF are you talking about? Please tell me what part of the contract was breached.

Every worker you employ emits data as they carry on their assigned duties. This data I believe is assigned to someone to corrolate call a supervisor maybe. You have those data in your ranks. Now looking at those datas after the said six months probation periods and assuming the employee has performed exceptionally. Shouldn't your next step immidiately be to go ahead and fulfill the terms of your agreement.

If you do not woundnt that constitute some kind of breach in agreement?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 8:33pm On Sep 01, 2018
Adakintroy:

I don't know how you got here. I was never arguing for borderline performance. In the event of an employee doing exceptionally well, whats the next step? Or they never seem to perform exceptionally within six months?

The brother argued that he believes he had perform exceptionally. Given that his employers were not coming forth to access him. Don't he have the right to approach in line with the terms of the contract?

I got there based on this "With all respect, you are not making any sense here. If his performance is boarder line like you said..should it not assume neutral tone at least first? And what do you mean by " rather than terminate??

"

None of your response addressed what I said! Now even you are asking me how I got there.

In response to the second bolded, I said "Also, six months just coming off probation is a little early to be asking unless it was one of the terms of your hire that pay would be reviewed in six months when you got off probation."

So where exactly did I say he didn't have a right to approach?
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by radautoworks: 8:34pm On Sep 01, 2018
Adakintroy:

Every worker you employ emits data as they carry on their assigned duties. This data I believe is assigned to someone to corrolate call a supervisor maybe. You have those data in your ranks. Now looking at those datas after the said six months probation periods and assuming the employee has performed exceptionally. Shouldn't your next step immidiately be to go ahead and fulfill the terms of your agreement.

If you do not woundnt that constitute some kind of breach in agreement?

Again I'm confused. How does that relate to what I said? What you're describing is what was in my original response (" we would have given him a performance review and let him know that was the case" ) that you said didn't make sense! And then implied I had an Omega complex with your

"or it just one of the pecks of being an employer.

You know? That irrational feel of "am your boss".. do what i want
" comment!
Re: Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? by Iaz93: 5:25pm On Sep 02, 2018
RicoBee:

You're so witty. smiley I like you.
Haha.. Thank you, mamen. ☺

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Has Been Your Biggest Career Mistake? / Daily Motivational Quotes / Pipeline Welding Training In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.