Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance (2345 Views)

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. / I Am Very Happy To See This Great Day Of My Birth / PASTOR CHRIS OYAKHILOME :The True Essence Of Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2010
Obama tones down National Day of Prayer observance

•Obama signing proclamation but not hosting events at White House

•President Bush held interfaith services to mark the National Day of Prayer

•Truman first established day as a national event in 1952

•"The president understands ,  the role that prayer plays," Gibbs says

May 6, 2009 -- Updated 1751 GMT (0151 HKT)Next Article in Politics »
By Kristi Keck
CNN
     (CNN) -- For the past eight years, the White House recognized the National Day of Prayer with a service in the East Room, but this year, President Obama decided against holding a public ceremony.

President Bush marked the National Day of Prayer with a service at the White House.
"Prayer is something that the president does everyday," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday, noting that Obama will sign a proclamation to recognize the day, as many administrations in the past have done.

Asked if Obama thought his predecessor's ceremonies were politicized, Gibbs said, "No, I'm not going to get into that again.

"I think the president understands, in his own life and in his family's life, the role that prayer plays."

The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance for people of all faiths.

Under the Bush administration, the White House hosted an interfaith service each year, inviting protestant, Catholic and Jewish leaders for an event at the East Room.

President Ronald Reagan and President George H.W. Bush also marked the day with a White House observance.

President Harry Truman first established the day as a national event in 1952. Reagan signed a resolution in 1988 to observe the National Day of Prayer each year on the first Thursday in May, and each president since has recognized this day with a proclamation.

The National Day of Prayer Task Force, a privately funded organization that focuses on mobilizing the Christian community, says it's disappointed in this year's toned down observance, but other groups say the president needs to go a step farther -- and ignore the day altogether.

"It's not his job to tell people to pray," said David Silverman, national spokesperson for the organization American Atheists.

"We are very happy he did away with the George W. Bush-era celebrations and party, but we wish he wouldn't do it at all. ,  When church and state are separate, separate is separate," he said.

Although there are no public events scheduled at the White House, representatives from the legislative and judicial branches are expected to attend an event the National Day of Prayer Task Force is holding on Capitol Hill.

But, despite numerous attempts to get a representative from the executive office to attend, "it doesn't appear they are going to fulfill our request," said Becky Armstrong, marketing and media manager of the National Day of Prayer Task Force.

"The White House is a small part of what the national day of prayer is all about. Tomorrow there will be dozens of events held in our nation's capitol and governors from all 50 states have already issued proclamations recognizing the National Day of Prayer," Armstrong said.

"It would be belittling to those millions of people to reduce this day to merely one event not being held at the White House."

Task Force Chairman Shirley Dobson said in a statement that she was disappointed in the "lack of participation" by the Obama administration, adding that "at this time in our country's history, we would hope our President would recognize more fully the importance of prayer."

Dobson will be a presenter at that event, along with her husband and former president of Focus on the Family James Dobson, author Beth Moore, NFL player Shaun Alexander and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/06/obama.prayer/
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by MyJoe: 1:39pm On Jun 29, 2010
shocked Seems there's an anti-Obama militancy about!

But seriously, do you think one's position on purely religious matters should be a criterion for public office or a touchstone for measuring his success as a leader?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:55pm On Jun 29, 2010
Who said that Obama is not concerned about prayers?  See him giving a 5 minutes exaltation in the clip below.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4KfYuDrvU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4KfYuDrvU&feature=player_embedded
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by MyJoe: 3:22pm On Jun 29, 2010
grin
Now I see why the Christian Right down South won't be voting for him come 2012!

You haven't answered my question though. What's your opinion on religiosity and eligibility for public office? Should one's religious views, affiliation, or lack of them matter?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by ogajim(m): 3:28pm On Jun 29, 2010
@OP, you're in the UK and worried about what POTUS is doing? Why don't you worry about what Cameron will do to/for your folks over there in the UK?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Jun 29, 2010
MyJoe:

grin

I hope they can see clearly now that they have been duped, except for those liberal Christian who would like to see themselves as Christians by name only.

MyJoe:

You haven't answered my question though. What's your opinion on religiosity and eligibility for public office? Should one's religious views, affiliation, or lack of them matter?

I don't think Obama will agree that the Bible can be used to govern the nation as he explains below.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnmS_vULPxw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by ogajim(m): 7:13pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^ You two ever heard of "Separation of Church and State"?

Why don't you let those of us with actual votes decide come 2012? Have you figured out Nigeria's election that's even 1 year before that? You two don't seem to know enough for me to even continue on here, looks can be deceiving ya know! shocked
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2010
ogajim:

@OP, you're in the UK and worried about what POTUS is doing? Why don't you worry about what Cameron will do to/for your folks over there in the UK?

ogajim:

Why don't you let those of us with actual votes decide come 2012? Have you figured out Nigeria's election that's even 1 year before that? You two don't seem to know enough for me to even continue on here, looks can be deceiving ya know! shocked

Genuine Christians would be concerned about the development in their nations as it has a long way in influencing the policies they implement and they would pray accordingly. Christians in the U.K. are praying as they just concluded the Global Day of Prayer especially in a nation ruled by Atheists, but Obama says he is a Christian and if Christianity in the U.S. is similar to that of Obama then they have lost it and they have no chance of turning things around. If you want to know what Cameron is up to in the U.K see the thread suggested below.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=464736.0
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by Mudley313: 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2010
so you mr. anti-obama, would you have prefered a john mccain as president with egg-head palin as vice? i pity you for constantly feeding into the propaganda of RACIST WHITE bible belt hick redneck americans who cant get over the fact that there's a BLACK man at the WHITE house. . .and what has all the prayers nigerians and their leaders been overdoing done for the country

are you even an american? leave our country alone and face your own palava

they weren't the ones who voted him into office in the first place

@ OP. . .i'm still hoping you're caucasian if not you're the most ignorantly st.upid category of uncle tom i've ever come across
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by thehomer: 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
There a breath of fresh air.
The U.S president and his family can pray as much as they want to but to use his office as president to promote some religions above others is not a good thing. It is against the U.S constitution. Why should only some sects of Christianity and Judaism be welcome? Are there no American Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and others?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by debosky(m): 8:22pm On Jun 29, 2010
Obama is the president of ALL Americans, not Christians alone - this is simply noise.

As if praying in the White House is now the issue Christians need to deal with. undecided

Some people are so in love with chasing shadows - Obama hasn't stopped anyone from praying, let others pray in their home and churches, and leave Obama out of it.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by jcross19: 10:00pm On Jun 29, 2010
obama should remember that he is there by the people and he can leave there by the people all he need to do is to leave a remarkable track and pace for others to follow so he can proof to the racist that what a white can do black can do better but if he failed shame unto him.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18am On Jun 30, 2010
This is how Fox News carried this news, and it shows the seriousness of this anomaly.

Obama's Decision to Observe National Day of Prayer Privately Draws Public Criticism

It's not a crisis of biblical proportions, but President Obama's plan to recognize the National Day of Prayer on Thursday with a paper proclamation, rather than a public event at the White House, is ruffling some religious feathers.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/06/obamas-decision-observe-national-day-prayer-privately-draws-public-criticism/
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by Enigma(m): 7:45am On Jun 30, 2010
You think serious and informed people take Fox News seriously?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:20am On Jun 30, 2010
Enigma:

You think serious and informed people take Fox News seriously?

OLAADEGBU:

The National Day of Prayer Task Force, a privately funded organization that focuses on mobilizing the Christian community, says it's disappointed in this year's toned down observance, but other groups say the president needs to go a step farther -- and ignore the day altogether.

"It's not his job to tell people to pray," said David Silverman, national spokesperson for the organization American Atheists.

"We are very happy he did away with the George W. Bush-era celebrations and party, but we wish he wouldn't do it at all. , When church and state are separate, separate is separate," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/06/obama.prayer/

If you don't take Fox News seriously I hope you watch cnn. The quote above shows the cnn's angle to and it is only unserious christians that would roll their eyes to the events happening in their environment that makes a big spiritual impact on their communities. The quote above portrays that the atheists are happy for the day to be ignored altogether. Liberal "christians" also share this view either by what they say or by post on this topic. Many of our churches are being influenced or contaminated by these kind of "liberal christianity" practised in the U.S. which has no backbone or spiritual insight.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by MyJoe: 11:23am On Jun 30, 2010
ogajim:

Never did, gracious sir. Wouldest thou explain it.

ogajim:

OLAADEGBU:

I hope they can see clearly now that they have been duped, except for those liberal Christian who would like to see themselves as Christians by name only.
I don't think they have been duped. His liberal views on abortion, gay rights and other issues those folk in the South hold dear were not hidden before the elections.

OLAADEGBU:
I don't think Obama will agree that the Bible can be used to govern the nation as he explains below.
Do YOU think the Bible can be used to govern any nation today?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2010
MyJoe:

I don't think they have been duped. His liberal views on abortion, gay rights and other issues those folk in the South hold dear were not hidden before the elections.

Some of them are just waking up to the reality of what they got themselves in for while others who call themselves Christians, ordaining gay bishops are not different or even worse than atheists who are bent on removing every landmark of the Moral Law based constitution.

MyJoe:

Do YOU think the Bible can be used to govern any nation today?

The law of the land was formulated based on the Moral Law until the secular humanists began to move the goal post.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by Mudley313: 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2010
^^^i wish you can channel this your energy the right direction by focusing on the corrupt leadership that ravages nigeria instead of swallowing panadol for another mans headache
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00pm On Jul 03, 2010
Mudley313:

^^^i wish you can channel this your energy the right direction by focusing on the corrupt leadership that ravages nigeria instead of swallowing panadol for another mans headache

One must channel his energy on something, what do you channel yours on, atheism?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by ogajim(m): 2:02am On Jul 05, 2010
The fact that you mentioned fox news and cnn has told me all I need to know about your knowledge of American socio-politics! I have no time for either of those news channels if you ask me cool

And you think the founding fathers didn't want to separate Church from State? You know the official reason they got out of Europe? Dude, you are out of your league to use the mostly confederate south as our mouth piece in these matters.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by Mudley313: 4:12am On Jul 05, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

One must channel his energy on something, what do you channel yours on, atheism?

atleast i don't channel minez helping to propagate the causes of racist white bigots who would rather me and you were still enslaved. . .mehn, i'm done with your coon azz, this is just pathetic. . .abeg, do us all a favor and kill yourself
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:28am On Jul 05, 2010
ogajim:

The fact that you mentioned fox news and cnn has told me all I need to know about your knowledge of American socio-politics! I have no time for either of those news channels if you ask me cool

You may not have anytime for those news channels but those are what most people in and outside the U.S. listen to, they broadcast both the left and right wings of politics respectively. Here is another news channel that covered the event or the lack of it since you seem to be happy that the national day of prayer has been toned down if not cancelled altogether:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30618332/

ogajim:

And you think the founding fathers didn't want to separate Church from State? You know the official reason they got out of Europe? Dude, you are out of your league to use the mostly confederate south as our mouth piece in these matters.

What do you know about the founding fathers and what do you know about the separation of "Church from State"? Is it the explanation that the secular humanists will like you to believe? What do you know about the policies of the human right laws of the European union and how is that different to what Obama is propagating? Tell us if you know any better.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:35am On Jul 05, 2010
Mudley313:

atleast i don't channel minez helping to propagate the causes of racist white bigots who would rather me and you were still enslaved. . .mehn, i'm done with your coon azz, this is just pathetic. . .abeg, do us all a favor and kill yourself

I don't expect atheists to know the importance of the national day of prayer in a nation, I know that you guys have been gnashing your teeth under abated breath when you are forced to sing God bless America but some of you have discovered a way out of it by saying uuumm bless America just as your folks here say ummmh save the queen. So why would you rejoice that Obama has put you out of your misery by doing all but stop short of banning the National Day of prayer?

What baffles me is the kind of polical correctness practised by these so called Christians is America, no wonder they voted for what is coming back to haunt them.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:39am On Jul 05, 2010
This song show the burden of true and discerning Christians to pray for their nations especially that of America. It talks about the founding fathers of America and their true values and beliefs.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1DrrV_oDw&hl=en_GB&fs=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1DrrV_oDw&feature=player_embedded
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by Mudley313: 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2010
This song show the burden of true and discerning Christians to pray for their nations especially that of America. It talks about the founding fathers of America and their true values and beliefs.

mr. uncle thomas, where was all of these white folks when bush and em were reaping the country blind?

and did you know all of the founding founders from washington to andrew jackson were all big slave owners. so, the values and beliefs of enslaving and dehumanizing blacks is what you too espouse? you're one crazy mudasucker. don't worry, they're now lots of bleaching creams available, you too can be white like michael jacson. ewu
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:47pm On Jul 05, 2010
Mudley313:

mr. uncle thomas, where was all of these white folks when bush and em were reaping the country blind?

Must everything be seen under the spectrum of black and white people groups, can't you see beyond your colour?  If you hate the white man so much why don't you unlearn their language, education, technology and country and then come back to live in your village having nothing to do with the white man?  George Bush had his own faults but he at least acknowledged that the country needed prayers in a nation under God but now that Obama has put the nation under Darwin as his faith permits you atheists and liberal christians can have a sigh of relief because you guys felt left out when you were forced to pray to a God that you don't believe exists.

Mudley313:

and did you know all of the founding founders from washington to andrew jackson were all big slave owners. so, the values and beliefs of enslaving and dehumanizing blacks is what you too espouse? you're one crazy mudasucker. don't worry, they're now lots of bleaching creams available, you too can be white like michael jacson. ewu

The onus is on you to prove that they were slave owners and let me tell you of one Mr. Newton who was a slave trader but eventually became a Christian and joined forces with some Christians who fought against slave trade such as Wilberforce and John Wesley, today the slave trade is abolished thanks to those men of God who spoke out against the evil practise.  In America there were Christians who did not practise slave trade and slaves usually escaped to such terrains as a land of refuge until Abraham Lincoln, who believed in the Creator and the Bible, declared the emancipation proclamation.  Where were your democratic slave owners when this was declared what they do now is to sign demonic legislations into law that is to put the nation back into spiritual slavery and yet you blind gnats keep shouting uhuru that Obama is the best thing since sliced bread. undecided
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by Mudley313: 10:22pm On Jul 05, 2010
The onus is on you to prove that they were slave owners

there's nothing to prove here. its a well known fact. try google. it's like telling me to prove that abraham lincoln was once a US preident

Must everything be seen under the spectrum of black and white people groups, can't you see beyond your colour? If you hate the white man so much why don't you unlearn their language, education, technology and country and then come back to live in your village having nothing to do with the white man?

it turns black and white when you start posting videos that are posted in kkk/white supremacist/neo-nazi websites here in a nigerian website. i'm still hoping you're white if not, you're one f.ucked up mudasucker. and NO, i don't hate the white man; i only despice racist people whether black or white
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by debosky(m): 10:36pm On Jul 05, 2010
Founding fathers who owned slaves right? We might as well retain slavery so we can continue in the spirit of the founding fathers.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:29am On Jul 06, 2010
Mudley313:

there's nothing to prove here. its a well known fact. try google. it's like telling me to prove that abraham lincoln was once a US preident

The onus is on you to prove to us that the founding fathers where slave traders, don't expect to make a spurious claim and expect us to swallow it hook, line and sinker. I am not saying that it is not possible but I expect you to provide evidence of your claim that will confirm your report. I can suggest a link to support what I am claiming like the one below but can you do the same?

http://www.icr.org/articles/view/400/313/

Arabs, Africans and other people groups were involved in slave trade even as we speak there is child and sex traffiking taking place by our people in Europe, who do you think made it possible for the white slave owners to enslave our people? is it not for filthy lucre as it is even happening today? Are they not reaping off your people today? If the white man reaped off the black man it is because the black greedy man sold his brother off as they are still doing today.

Mudley313:

it turns black and white when you start posting videos that are posted in kkk/white supremacist/neo-nazi websites here in a nigerian website. i'm still hoping you're white if not, you're one f.ucked up mudasucker. and NO, i don't hate the white man; i only despice racist people whether black or white

Racism is what Christians pray against but you propably don't believe in prayer which is a reason you talk like this, Abraham Lincoln signed the emancipation declaration legislation into law that saw the end to slave trade in America but you will rather believe in Charles Darwin who was not only born on the same day as Abraham Lincoln but contrasted that with his belief that Africans are close to apes who are yet to evolve as much as the caucasians, do you see where you now contradict yourself?
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:34am On Jul 06, 2010
debosky:

Founding fathers who owned slaves right? We might as well retain slavery so we can continue in the spirit of the founding fathers.

I expected you to be a Christian who will pray for the likes of President Obama who is taking the country on a downward slope of destruction by attempting to sign some diabolic legislations into law that will work against the country.  Spiritual slavery is worse than physical slavery, it is even worst when the captive does not know that he is a captive of the enemy. As a Christian you are supposed to know who our real enemy is.
Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:40pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is what Obama is ashamed of doing.  Leading the prayer there is congressman J.C. Watts who as a Christian that is not ashamed of identifying himself with Jesus Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paige-Prayer-2001-01-24.jpg

Re: Obama Tones Down National Day Of Prayer Observance by ogajim(m): 12:51pm On Jul 06, 2010
Olaadegbu, You seem to forget that Governments are not God's creation and as such they really don't have to work for God, study your Bible very well my friend and you will find that the devil is the god of this World which is why the Bible warns every man to "work for his/her own Salvation with fear and trembling"

You the W, JC and mr. Page are great examples of Christians don't ya? grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hilarious Church Posters !!!!! / Crisis Rocks The Apostolic Church As Factions Battle For Power / Reinhard Bonnke Final Words And Message Before Death.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.