Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,467 members, 7,836,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (54148 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 11:59pm On Aug 07, 2011
I detect sarcasm cheesy

https://sourceforge.net/projects/naijadev/files/Vulcan-game.zip/download

I uploaded this before my exams, asking members to suggest improvements and for graphic designers to work on. No update on it yet. I guess everyone missed it.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AdeizaSama(m): 2:09am On Aug 08, 2011
"Yep, sarcasm, and that little link of yours silenced my attempt nicely!", is what I WOULD be saying if I could extract the file sad
Probably a downloading error, I should really tell the familia to dump this starcomms cmda -_-' I'll try again when I'm less sleepy
, but anyway, carry on dude, good luck and what-not grin
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Fayimora(m): 3:46am On Aug 08, 2011
Don't think its a download error. Cant seem to extract aswell. wink
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:39pm On Aug 08, 2011
sorry guys! tongue I did mention that I uploaded it b4 my exams. I didn't do a download test. I'll reupload tonight.

Anyways, some improvements that will come later.

changing the pickup items (graphics). I put them in open chests but seems like it fills up the levels.

Character graphics and level graphics improvements.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2011
UPDATE: Were you guys using google chrome when you tried to download the file?

I tried downloading but it failed. I reuploaded and it failed again when I used chrome but Firefox 5 downloaded it successfully.

PLEASE CONFIRM WITH FIREFOX ( VERSION 5 PREFERABLY). smiley

I'll try uploading the folder rather than the zip file later to see if it'll work in chrome.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AdeizaSama(m): 2:04pm On Aug 08, 2011
Yeah, I used firefox, it's not a download problem you just need to re-pack the files, maybe use .rar or .7z this time, ?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2011
NEW LINK: sourceforge.net/projects/naijadev/files/Vulcan.7z/download

I've compressed it to 7z and uploaded.

Firefox 5 downloads perfectly. I uncompressed with 7zip and game runs.

Safari 5 downloads perfectly. I uncompressed with 7zip and game runs.

Google chrome starts and completes in less than 5 seconds meaning something is wrong. Game doesn't run.

PLEASE RETRY.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 08, 2011
@ gameaddict

Something was wrong with the previous file that you uploaded. There is absolutely no correlation between a file's integrity and browser versions.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 5:50pm On Aug 08, 2011
Well, I decided to put up the browser versions since I had different results downloading with each of them. Have you downloaded yet?

Chrome is still giving me errors but the file is perfect with the other browsers. Guess I'll have to upload the folder and see what happens.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 08, 2011
Oh, yes I have downloaded them. But I'm on Linux and do not have access to a Windows system where I am, so I'll have to delay testing till later in the day. By the way, thanks for letting me know about Firefox 5; I don't know why my browser didn't notify me of an update.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AdeizaSama(m): 6:27pm On Aug 08, 2011
Wow, it's a 3d game, cool =]

How many contributors so far, if I may ask?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2011
@omo_to_dun: No problem. I got to know about the update by chance too.

@AdeizaSama: Not much. There's still a lot of work to be done. If you play the game, you'll notice some quirks. We'll be fixing the codes as soon as possible.

The graphics and levels also require a lot of work.

We need suggestions on improving the game. It'd also be nice if you could introduce the project to graphic artists cuz we need em a lot.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Mobinga: 7:11pm On Aug 08, 2011
Awesome.

I use a 1366 x 768 res. I reckon its supposed to max it out. But it doesn't fill out the screen, anyway tis is awesome. Can you make the guy to move a bit faster?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2011
@mobinga: If you want to play in full screen, you'll have to deselect windowed in the dialog box that shows before the game starts.

Regarding the speed, you can't change it unless you download the unity package to edit the script.

I may add an option to tweak player speed and certain attributes in the next build though since it's a demo.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2011
^
Is there some sort of source code? How can the game be modified?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Fayimora(m): 8:09pm On Aug 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
Is there some sort of source code? How can the game be modified?

Depends on how it was created, if a game engine was used then you nee the project file.

If you used Unity3D, upload your project file, might be able to help.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:23pm On Aug 08, 2011
The codes are in this package: http://sourceforge.net/projects/naijadev/files/VULCAN_wip.unitypackage/download

You need to have unity3D installed. All you have to do is create a new project and import the package.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AdeizaSama(m): 8:50pm On Aug 08, 2011
Graphic artists are the hardest to find, especially since it's in 3D. The one graphic artist I worked with is in London, he has my wacom tablet (forgot to get it back -_-') and he's expecting use to make a flash adventure game. Dunno how to break the news to him that I wanna scrap that project, seeing as nowadays adventure games are useless if they aren't really long and on a console, and we ARE kinda shorthanded xD
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:02pm On Aug 08, 2011
@AdeizaSama: You're right about the graphics designers. Why d' you wanna scrap your project. Depending on your plans, you can actually create a great and

memorable game even if it's really short. Think: The players could be the ones asking for more rather than you wasting your time creating something long.

You just have to create a few levels, kinda like introducing the story and stuff.

Just give them something they' ll love to play and everything will work out.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AdeizaSama(m): 10:50pm On Aug 08, 2011
lol, I'll give them what they want alright.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2011
smiley
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by ndahbros1: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2011
my name is Chinedu Ndah. I am a practising lawyer based in PH.I have an IT company (DataNet Ltd.) which I co-own with a programmer.We can be of help;my partner withthe technical programming side, and I can think up as many game scenarios as possible.All u guys have to do is just to create games with my ideas.
my email is brightmynds@yahoo.com
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by xterra2(m): 1:31am On Aug 12, 2011
@Pheeque thanks for the html5
@worldwest and @pheeque, how far witht he html5, have u made any progress ?

Am thinking of doing a solitare game
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by cybello: 6:52am On Aug 14, 2011
Name: cybell
Email: gglobal202@gmail.com
Phone:07036525461
Skills: VB.net (expert)
Java (basic idea)
C++(basic idea)
Experience: top programmer(creative peak team)
Graphics design(sir white designs)
Creative director(CY tech)
Executive(CY global)
Others: works with team, reaches heights indepedently
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by pcTalk: 9:57pm On Aug 22, 2011
dats cool men. I really like dat. Think am interested. Presently am the founder of pcTALK Nigeria. Name: Julius Fasema; Email: info@pctalkng.com; Platform: java, php, jscript; Phone: 07069500520
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Ojukwu24(m): 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2011
@Gameaddict, you are doing a good job. I can see you have real passion for game design. I had a problem with my system and I decided to buy a new one. When I came back, I saw the project has been partially abandoned. I have started learning unity3d and it is real fun. Hope we will still work on something. We need to talk. my mail is ojaysimpson2481 at yahoo dot com.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 1:20pm On Aug 30, 2011
@Ojukwu24: How's you doing? Sorry 'bout your system. The project is still on but I don't know about the interest of others. I'm studying physics and AI this

holiday and I've also got a lot of projects to complete which is why I don't post here regularly.

I uploaded a demo and a project file some weeks ago and asked people to look into how we could improve on it. Nobody has responded with anything yet. It

seems a lot of people have other things on their hands which is okay but things will progress slowly if things continue this way. I'll mail you soon so we can

discuss the issues. Hope you're enjoying unity3d,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Ojukwu24(m): 10:16am On Aug 31, 2011
@Gameaddict, am fine thank you. I saw the project file and am trying to download the file. But I want to be conversant with some things before I will look into that. Learning unity is cool and I think I like it. I will check my mail now.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 09, 2011
Ok, i just want to play the game. Is the file executable Please send me a download link and what OS, I will play the s h i t of of this game mennnnn,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by lugan: 7:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
grin name-olubunmi john
No-08091632235
Email-lugan09@yahoo.com
J2me (beginner)--midp 2.0 API
Python/pygame(beginner)
Game designing sense
Comic book writer
Corel draw (average)
Game physics and simulation.
(beginner using blender 3D)
And I know little of collision detection(especially in j2me)

So I guess dats it, I'm planning on working on a j2me side scrolling game, so from many articles online I acquired my programming skills, but I can help in any post u think I'm gud for, for the progression of the project u are developing, that's nice, but u can go to this site to know about the nigeria igda, www.igdanigeria., I met the guy behind the registeration on facebook,
I luv this nigerian guyz are waking up, !!!!!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Lugan: Hello! Welcome to the team. Please read the article below to know what next.

@Everyone: Hello! How's y'all doing?

I've been busy with some projects but most of them are near completion now but the problem is that skool will resume soon and my time will be short again.

Anyways, The good news is that I and Ojukwu24 have been communicating via mail and we've come up with a good way to move this project forward:

First and foremost is restructuring and reorganization.

Rather than having one long topic with many signups and discussions but no far reaching/viewable progress due to a number of reasons, we've decided to

divide tasks in a very organized way by making this the mother thread(general game project meetup zone) and to create new threads for game

ideas that members want to work on. So if you have a game idea and want to use any language such as java, things will now be easier as you can easily

inform members that the idea will be implemented in a particular language or using a particular framework. Also members will now be able to contribute more

efficiently as they can now follow ideas/projects they favor.

I and Ojukwu24 have decided to work on the vulcan's challenge project. I'll look at my project files tomorrow and create a thread for it when things are ready.

For those of you who have been suggesting 2D, I've researched a bit into some languages and frameworks. I've also practiced a little and will show you some

images as well as post some info on my practice project tomorrow.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.