Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice (13519 Views)

Gtbank Is Taking More Than One Week To Send Me Telex Copy Of FX Transaction / GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares / How to get a POS for ATM cash withdrawal and Deposit business in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Mynd44: 2:00pm On Sep 05, 2018
Venom104:

As a matter of fact, I just picked up my Card from the Oke-Ileowo/Kuto Branch after i had requested for it to be transferred from another state, at no extra cost.
That you going it easy doesn't mean others found it easy too though.
I have had my share of bank madness that friends did without stress.

Nigeria banks don't really care about customers as long as it doesn't affect their final year result

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by AridunuThomas: 2:01pm On Sep 05, 2018
Ermacc:
Exactly. I don't know why people are always out for Gtbank. Arguably the best bank in Nigeria in terms of Customer service delivery

Stockholm Syndrome is clearly visible here

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Samakus(m): 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2018
ziondaughter247:
That was how Sterling bank charged me twice for something I had paid for. I went to their Surulere Branch to complain. I was so vexed, but the idiot customer service was laughing at me( maybe she felt the money was too small). Honestly, I felt very insulted and she still insisted that the bank wasn't wrong. Pls stay away from these idiots. Since then, i haven't transacted with Sterling. Their staff lack manners.

In your own little sphere of control, do you have manners? Are you treating people the way you expected those bank staff to treat you? While i am not condoning poor customer service, i think that Nigerians are difficult people and can easily shift the post to make them look like they are poorly treated. Food for thought
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Babygiwa(f): 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2018
Venom104:

As a matter of fact, I just picked up my Card from the Oke-Ileowo/Kuto Branch after i had requested for it to be transferred from another state, at no extra cost.
Lucky you then. I have wasted time and energy I should be using to do better things

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2018
Totally wrong. Gtbank charged me for a new card last year, I applied for a transfer last year Nov and picked it up just today. Lol. Dem find the card tire. They didn't charge me twice though.
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Babygiwa(f): 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2018
Samakus:
Madam, from your narrative, i can deduce that you have not explored options of complaints resolution within the bank before rushing to nairaland. That's not how things are done. What do you intend to gain from this call out? Have you sought to speak with the branch operations' management about this? Obviously, nobody denied you the benefit of attention as you never asked for one from their management.

Customer is always right but remember that your right ends where another person's starts. I hope you are not paid to do this.

My 2cents from a customer like you.
Complaints and resolutions are the reason they have a customer care department in the first place. I was balantly told that they have stopped it and that I will have to pay for both cards now.

The money though is not an issue it is the feeling of betrayal and the thought that a banking institution I trust is actually trying to set me black financially and taking away my convenience hurts

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Babygiwa(f): 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Totally wrong. Gtbank charged me for a new card last year, I applied for a transfer last year Nov and picked it up just today. Lol. Dem find the card tire. They didn't charge me twice though.
This was why I went in August hoping that at least by August, the card will be ready only to get turned down and now this.

It hurts

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by AndLeo(m): 2:11pm On Sep 05, 2018
People are always fast to complain about banks. All these individuals that complain when you go to their own shops they are always out to defraud you by selling fake products to you or overcharging you. Nigerians are fake. Fake fake fake.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by dazzlingd(m): 2:16pm On Sep 05, 2018
Babygiwa:
So last week, I noticed that the expiry date of my Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) ATM Card is 09/18 meaning it will expire September (this month) so I went over to their branch at Oke-Ileowo/Kuto in Abeokuta hoping to get a new one or place an order for a new one so as not to be blind-sighted.

I was on the queue when one of their staff asked me what I needed, I explained to her and she told me that I can’t place an order for a new one until the old one expired or at least until the middle of September and in any case, I will receive an alert from the bank telling me it has been renewed and then I can order for it so I left thinking it was all good.

Fast forward to earlier this week, I got an alert from GTBank telling me that my ATM has been automatically renewed and I should come over to their Oregun branch to pick it up. Note that I have never been to that branch as I opened the account on the road via a marketer and later took my personal documents to another branch to regularize my documentation for the account.

So I went there this morning to get the shock of my life. I was on the queue once again waiting for my turn when a young man apparently a staff since he was wearing a GTBank shirt and had an ID card with the name OLALEKAN. He asked what I wanted and I told him and he said, they have stopped transfer of ATM cards and I will have to cancel the one that was renewed and order for a new one there which will mean I will have to be charged twice.

I stayed on the queue hoping the lady in charge will have better news. It got to my turn only for her (TITILOPE) to tell me the same thing that it is not the bank’s fault but I will have to pay for a new one and then she flippantly added that “Or you can pick up the other one when next you go to Lagos”

Now people, help me out here oo why should I have to pay for an ATM card twice or why can’t I request that my new ATM card be delivered to the branch close to me like sane banks like First, Zenith, Diamond etc? Hmmmm. Maybe this is why some people call them GBT Bank saying this is why they are declaring profits upandan

Sorry to say but this is absolute nonsense.
The card can easily be transferred because I have had same experience. People just stop making a mountain hill out of a ant hole on big brands, go to the bank and make resolve your little issues. Seun lalasticlala, don't make your forum an agent of spoiling company's reputation,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by nonix22(m): 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2018
download the GTWorld app from your playstore, and all these will be a thing of the past
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by chloride6: 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2018
stepo707:
union bank charges me for card maintenance fees 52.50naira every month.I complained to them and they said the directive is from CBN. Is it proper?

I also use gtbank master card and i have never been charged for this card maintenance fee...Is union bank scamming me?

Very appropriate

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Eponyeeboz: 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2018
Samakus:
Madam, from your narrative, i can deduce that you have not explored options of complaints resolution within the bank before rushing to nairaland. That's not how things are done. What do you intend to gain from this call out? Have you sought to speak with the branch operations' management about this? Obviously, nobody denied you the benefit of attention as you never asked for one from their management.

Customer is always right but remember that your right ends where another person's starts. I hope you are not paid to do this.

You're lucky he's on Nairaland and not twitter.

He approached 2 customer service execs in the branch and and clearly stated their names. It was their attitude that made him come online.

If you didn't understand that, how can you understand what is going on?

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Menyi: 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2018
jarvis4:
what are you trying to say in particular?Blabber mouth

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Eponyeeboz: 2:22pm On Sep 05, 2018
dazzlingd:

The card can easily be transferred because I have had same experience. People just stop making a mountain hill out of a ant hole on big brands, go to the bank and make resolve your little issues. Seun lalasticlala, don't make your forum an agent of spoiling company's reputation,

He has been to the bank and spoken to customer service reps. He stated their branch and their names. Now, you're asking him to go back to the bank?

4 Likes

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by magicfingers009: 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2018
Madam, did you try to resolve this issue via all their e-channels before bringing your personal matter to disturb us on Nairaland?

I am sure they sent you an SMS or email to change the pick up branch to whichever Branch was closest to you. You could have done that and save us the stress of having to read your long epistle.

Abeg request for your card to be transferred via their internet banking and save us the drama. Next time bring more pressing matters to this forum and not something this frivolous.

Babygiwa:
So last week, I noticed that the expiry date of my Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) ATM Card is 09/18 meaning it will expire September (this month) so I went over to their branch at Oke-Ileowo/Kuto in Abeokuta hoping to get a new one or place an order for a new one so as not to be blind-sighted.

I was on the queue when one of their staff asked me what I needed, I explained to her and she told me that I can’t place an order for a new one until the old one expired or at least until the middle of September and in any case, I will receive an alert from the bank telling me it has been renewed and then I can order for it so I left thinking it was all good.

Fast forward to earlier this week, I got an alert from GTBank telling me that my ATM has been automatically renewed and I should come over to their Oregun branch to pick it up. Note that I have never been to that branch as I opened the account on the road via a marketer and later took my personal documents to another branch to regularize my documentation for the account.

So I went there this morning to get the shock of my life. I was on the queue once again waiting for my turn when a young man apparently a staff since he was wearing a GTBank shirt and had an ID card with the name OLALEKAN. He asked what I wanted and I told him and he said, they have stopped transfer of ATM cards and I will have to cancel the one that was renewed and order for a new one there which will mean I will have to be charged twice.

I stayed on the queue hoping the lady in charge will have better news. It got to my turn only for her (TITILOPE) to tell me the same thing that it is not the bank’s fault but I will have to pay for a new one and then she flippantly added that “Or you can pick up the other one when next you go to Lagos”

Now people, help me out here oo why should I have to pay for an ATM card twice or why can’t I request that my new ATM card be delivered to the branch close to me like sane banks like First, Zenith, Diamond etc? Hmmmm. Maybe this is why some people call them GBT Bank saying this is why they are declaring profits upandan

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Samakus(m): 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2018
Babygiwa:

Complaints and resolutions are the reason they have a customer care department in the first place. I was balantly told that they have stopped it and that I will have to pay for both cards now.

The money though is not an issue it is the feeling of betrayal and the thought that a banking institution I trust is actually trying to set me black financially and taking away my convenience hurts

So are you angry with the bank or the individuals that attended to you whom you consciously named in your call out in an enbolded manner? There's more than meets the eye in this your call out

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by EZENDIZUOGU(m): 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2018
it is in order,CBN rule

stepo707:
union bank charges me for card maintenance fees 52.50naira every month.I complained to them and they said the directive is from CBN. Is it proper?

I also use gtbank master card and i have never been charged for this card maintenance fee...Is union bank scamming me?
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Eponyeeboz: 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2018
AridunuThomas:
#Reform9jaBanks See, those Abeokuta GTB Banks are centre of service failures, especially Kuto and Asero branches. I have entered both with intention of opening GTB accounts at several times across the years and always got pissed at the lack of quality customer service and crawl back to my other banks. Pathetic

I opened my first GTB account with that Asero branch but the problem they have is massive crowd they have there. If there are more branches, the pressure on the staff would reduce.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by magicfingers009: 2:26pm On Sep 05, 2018
Exactly my point. Nairaland has lost its way. They specialize in tainting brands. You seldom see posts giving accolades to Brands.

Bad news everywhere. Seun you need to get your acts right. You have turned Nairaland to Linda-Ikeji or those gossip blogs. You can do better than this
dazzlingd:

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by jarvis4: 2:27pm On Sep 05, 2018
[quote author=Menyi post=70925797][/quote]It is finished Mr blabber mouth
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by boye1: 2:30pm On Sep 05, 2018
Contact the bank ( A simple email will do) first before calling them out, they have 14days to resolve this. If they don't resolve/refund your money with VAT inclusive. Then escalate to CBN complaints email.

The banks has been declaring so much profits by cheating Nigerians because they don't know or act on their rights. You can't pay for a good or service you have not yet received.

So google keywords (CBN pos guidelines and download it ) therein lies your solution

The facts to note

No card issuer or its agent shall bill or charge a customer for an unsolicited card unless and until after the card is fully activated by cardholder

No card issuer or its agent shall deliver any card to a customer in a fully-activated state.

The verifiable consent of a customer shall be required before issuing a payment card or other products offered along with the card. Information to the customer has to be explicit and not implied. The consent may be received physically or electronically.

Unsolicited cards should not be issued. Where an unsolicited card is issued and activated without the written consent of the recipient and the latter is billed for the same, or fraudulent activity occurs, the card issuer shall not only reverse the charges forthwith, but also pay a penalty, without objection to the recipient, amounting to twice the value of the charges reversed.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Samakus(m): 2:30pm On Sep 05, 2018
Eponyeeboz:

You're lucky he's on Nairaland and not twitter.

He approached 2 customer service execs in the branch and and clearly stated their names. It was their attitude that made him come online.

If you didn't understand that, how can you understand what is going on?

What do you think their attitude were? Don't believe whatever anybody say at face value. You were not there to know what transpired. I work in the service industry and my daily interface with customers has helped shape my perception about customers. Sometimes, customers say what the person that attended to them never said partly because they were angry and couldn't wait to understand the message. Don't conclude bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 05, 2018
Samakus:

We all know how banks operate. When they make policies as such, there is no romantic talk that can change it. Many of us have all been there.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by stepo707: 2:31pm On Sep 05, 2018
EZENDIZUOGU:
it is in order,CBN rule

I just wonder why gtbank never charges me
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by dazzlingd(m): 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2018
Eponyeeboz:

He has been to the bank and spoken to customer service reps. He stated their branch and their names. Now, you're asking him to go back to the bank?

I doubt she's absolutely honest. The bank can't just say things like that. I fit swear shes not saying many things. Na only she dey use bank, we know how bank operates and seun with other mods posting unverified claims about a brand is worrisome. Even mentioning names of the staff and the branch, very bad. Do you know they can get sacked.?
Seun lalasticlala, what if I have a beef with a staff of a bank and I come here to post and castigate him here, so that's how you guys will rush to post in fp...you guys need education on information management especially on social media.
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Anstone: 2:37pm On Sep 05, 2018
I was a victim too

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Samakus(m): 2:39pm On Sep 05, 2018
dazzlingd:

I doubt she's absolutely honest. The bank can't just say things like that. I fit swear shes not saying many things. Na only she dey use bank, we know how bank operates and seun with other mods posting unverified claims about a brand is worrisome. Even mentioning names of the staff and the branch, very bad. Do you know they can get sacked.?
Seun lalasticlala, what if I have a beef with a staff of a bank and I come here to post and castigate him here, so that's how you guys will rush to post in fp...you guys need education on information management especially on social media.

Exactly my point. She may not have any hidden agenda against those staff she named but enboldening their names on a media platform like nairaland raises very pertinent questions about the genuineness of her intentions to get 'justice' against perceived robbery. I think she wants those staff out of the bank, and funnyenough, from her narrative, those staff didn't treat her shabbily.
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Samakus(m): 2:39pm On Sep 05, 2018
dazzlingd:

Exactly my point. She may not have any hidden agenda against those staff she named but enboldening their names on a media platform like nairaland raises very pertinent questions about the genuineness of her intentions to get 'justice' against perceived robbery. I think she wants those staff out of the bank, and funny enough, from her narrative, those staff didn't treat her shabbily.
Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by dazzlingd(m): 2:41pm On Sep 05, 2018
Mynd44:

That you going it easy doesn't mean others found it easy too though.
I have had my share of bank madness that friends did without stress.

Nigeria banks don't really care about customers as long as it doesn't affect their final year result

Is that why you rushed to post an unverified accusation even mentioning names of staff on front page. In a civilized country, you will find yourself facing lawsuit.
Seun should give you query with 2 weeks suspension

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Absan86(m): 2:43pm On Sep 05, 2018
[9/4, 10:51 PM] C27 Oyinx Sq: DOCTOR OLUFUNMILAYO WROTE : 'I have lived in UK a few years now and NEVER has my bank ever charged me one penny for bank transfer.
NEVER. NOT ONCE.

I’m sorry. But that 52 naira 50kobo that Nigerian banks deduct per transaction, what exactly is it for?

Why is no one speaking out against this blatant fraud?

Next is the fraudulent “Card Maintenance Fees” by our Nigerian banks. Please how are you maintaining a card that lives in my wallet?

I have about 3-4 UK Bank Cards here. Both credit cards and debit cards.
I have NEVER paid any such thing as a “Card Maintenance Fee”.
NEVER EVER.

The Nigerian Banking Sector is unfortunately an over-bloated industry that thrives systemically on entrenched policies that terribly defrauds us Nigerians and lives on cheating the average citizen of the hard earned money that is entrusted in their care to help save and invest.

You want to send money to someone from your Nigerian bank account and you first have to plan an extra 52 naira 50kobo.

Money that is electronically sent from one Nigerian bank account to another Nigerian bank account

What exactly is the charges for?
Why is this fraud tolerated?

Someone said the charges goes to NIPOST. I want to believe it is mere trolling as it makes absolutely no sense.

Please, How is Nipost involved in an ELECTRONIC money transfer?
Did I put the money in an envelope and post it? Or what?

We deserve better.
This is systemic cruelty.

When I applied for ATM Cards in UK (both debit and credit), I was NEVER charged a penny.
The card is given free.
And “maintenance”, if there’s any such thing, is done free.

IF we never get the chance to see how things happen in other places, we won’t know we are being cheated.

When I applied for an ATM Card in Nigeria, I was charged 1,000 naira to have one.
And I’m being charged some extra regularly in the pretence of an imaginary “Card Maintenance Fees”.

This is systemic corruption and a fundamental banking fraud aimed at impoverishing us Nigerians.

Let’s do a little maths, dear friends.

According to NIBSS, as at December 2017, there was almost 65,000 daily Electronic Fund Transfers in 2017.

At 52.50 naira per transaction, that’s over 3 million naira a day.
And about 1 billion naira a year.

Should this fraud continue?'
pls share it to others...�

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 05, 2018
magicfingers009:
Madam, did you try to resolve this issue via all their e-channels before bringing your personal matter to disturb us on Nairaland?

I am sure they sent you an SMS or email to change the pick up branch to whichever Branch was closest to you. You could have done that and save us the stress of having to read your long epistle.

Abeg request for your card to be transferred via their internet banking and save us the drama. Next time bring more pressing matters to this forum and not something this frivolous.

The forum allowed you the choice to either read or pass. You chose to read and you're venting anger again. Well, some of us find this of great importance and the management should do something to such policy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reagan Cement Bagging Company commences operation / Enugu Residents Shift Patronage To Local Rice - The Punch / Is It True That Polaris Bank Services Have Been Restored?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.