Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? (8448 Views)

Two Preachers Exchange Words At UNIPORT Junction Over The Abuse Of God’s Word / The Petition To Ban Funke Adejumo From UK: Nigerian Preachers Rise Against It / Are Christians Allowed To Have Sex After Traditional Wedding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by CandidSeeker(m): 10:54am On Sep 09, 2018
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

-Gal.3:27-28

-Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by deebrownneymar: 11:47am On Sep 09, 2018
Tradition/culture had a lot of influence, on religion, in the days of old. If you understand this fact, and the fact that God is not a computer, but reasons in his own way, you may begin to understand why some things written in the holy book are so.

I feel it isn't wrong for women to preach.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 09, 2018
metch1:
No hating, but personally I cannot attend any church being pastored by a woman.

Mayb u should Read your Galatian 3:28 and connect it with gal 4:6... And set your self free...then you would be able to understand the issue of Paul with the Corinth women...which most Catholic and churches churches follow saying women shouldn't hold church positions
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Telemon(m): 12:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
Church,
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Telemon(m): 12:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
Not Biblical. Women Are Not Part of the Ephesians 4:11 in the New Testament Church, As Well as The Old Testament. Read below scriptures: Exodus 28: 1. And take thou unto thee Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him, from among the children of Israel, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office, even Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar, Aaron's sons. Matthew 10: 1. And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. 2. Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3. Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4. Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him. 5. These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 1 Timothy 2: 11. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. 1 Corinthians 14: 34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. 36. What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? 37. If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. 38. But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. 40. Let all things be done decently and in order. Woman’s ministry and the marriage of homosexuals are the two biggest abominations of the end of times. And a person who enters into a church where women preach, it is like a person who takes part in a parade of homosexuals. 2000 years ago, mankind did not know that one day, homosexuals were going to parade in Jerusalem. 2000 years ago, mankind did not know that one day a woman, despite all her weakness as a vessel, was going to preach before people in some churches. Catch the revelation here. NB: God Almighty doesn't hate women, but He loves them and has given them their place n position in His Word, but Not to preach in the Pulpits and usurping Authority over man(Men) Shalom.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by ejimatic: 12:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
1Timoyhy 2 vrs 11 to 12 gives the scriptural stand on what should take place in a congregation. No woman should be a teacher in the congregation. Additionally no woman should be given any pastoral position in the congregation. 1 Timothy 3 vrs 1to 12 Any church that does contrary is only doing its interest .Bible's position is clear and sacrosanct. From my observation only Jehovah's witnesses are following the scripture on this matter.

1 Like

Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by kolaish(m): 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
What I want to say is that God can use anybody (male/female) that pleases him to preach or deliver His message.

God has never chastise anybody based on gender in the bible when it comes to the word. Let us focus on the message and not the messenger.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Olifiz(m): 1:39pm On Sep 09, 2018
OP only quote bible verse only u Dey deviate from wetin u quote. Haba why?

Where there are matured Christian and exemplary men in the house of God no woman is qualified to teach the congregation.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
Humblechuks002:
This seems to be a highly controversial topic in the modern day church, as there are acclaimed scriptural references as to why it should not be.

However it is imperative that while understanding this, we need to remove the spirit of ignorance and insecurity out of the equation and in an unbiased way look at the Bible in determining the answer. A lot of people fail to realise that the Bible is not only a spiritual text but it’s also a historical text that must be analysed very carefully.

Firstly, one of the most regularly quoted scripture that references against the practice of women preachers is found in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church”.

Now if this scripture is taken literally, this would mean that women are not to speak in church under any circumstances. That would result in women not being allowed to pray, worship or give testimonies in church and that seems a bit unusual, especially since in another verse Paul mentions
“But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth…”

(1 Corinthians 11:5) This leads us to conclude that there is a deeper issue here than what meets the eye.

Looking at the spirit of the chapter in which the former verse is written, we can see that Paul was talking about having divine order in the church.

Now, according to religious traditions prevalent during those days, it customary for men and women to sit separately on either sides in the church. Evidently, women in the Corinthian church were calling out to their husbands on the other side during services, thus causing much confusion.

Also, women normally in those days were not students of the law and were not allowed to go to the synagogue to get teaching, so it was only their husbands who were educated of the law.Consequently, in response to the confusion, Paul administers a word of discipline to the women stating that they should ask their questions at home in order to avoid interrupting the meetings. Another scripture popularly quoted is 1 Timothy 2:11-12) (Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence).

Some interpret this passage to mean that a woman should never teach in a church, which is wrong . In interpreting this verse, it is important to remember that the Greek words for “man” and “husband,” as well as the words for “woman” and “wife,” are the same.

So with that knowledge, we can see that context of the scripture shows that Paul is speaking about divine order in the home rather than order of ministry. What Paul is stating for all intents and purposes, is that the woman should remain submissive under her husband and that she must not manipulate or “usurp” the authority given to him in the household. This is because God has issued man as the head and the priest of the home. Of course, a man who is not a believer is not equipped to lead his household in the way of the Lord and the responsibility sometimes falls on the wife through default.

However, God’s divine order is for the husband to lead his family in spiritual things and he is able to do this properly only to the degree he is submitted to the Lordship of Jesus in his own life.

The Bible is replete with scriptural references showing women in leadership and ministerial positions. One example in the Old Testament is of a young Jewish girl by the name of Esther (a basic “rags to riches story”), we see that by the favour of God on her life she was able to be Queen (2nd in ranking) over an entire nation for the sole purpose of the deliverance of Israel (Esther 4:14).

While in the New Testament, we see women such as Priscilla (Acts 18:24-36Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)), who taught Apollos alongside with her husband. It is interesting to note that when she is mentioned in Romans 16:3.her name is placed before her husband’s which indicates the importance of her ministry.

Then there is Pheobe who Paul describes as a “servant of the church” which comes from the Greek word, “diakonon”, meaning “deaconess.” In Romans 16:2Open in Logos Bible Software (if available), he calls her a “succourer of many,” which comes from the Greek word, prostatis, meaning “overseer, one who has been given spiritual authority over others.” It is evident that Paul was not opposed to women in the ministry, for he says in Philippians 4:3.

“Greet those women who laboured with me in the Gospel”.

In conclusion, God commissioned both men and women to preach the gospel but because of improper research and incorrect Biblical interpretation, this commission cannot then become one-sided.

In fact, the focus should be placed more on the message than the messenger.

What are your thoughts on women preachers?

Bible does not have any respect for women.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by meetgaya: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
Humblechuks002:
This seems to be a highly controversial topic in the modern day church, as there are acclaimed scriptural references as to why it should not be.

However it is imperative that while understanding this, we need to remove the spirit of ignorance and insecurity out of the equation and in an unbiased way look at the Bible in determining the answer. A lot of people fail to realise that the Bible is not only a spiritual text but it’s also a historical text that must be analysed very carefully.

Firstly, one of the most regularly quoted scripture that references against the practice of women preachers is found in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church”.

Now if this scripture is taken literally, this would mean that women are not to speak in church under any circumstances. That would result in women not being allowed to pray, worship or give testimonies in church and that seems a bit unusual, especially since in another verse Paul mentions

(1 Corinthians 11:5) This leads us to conclude that there is a deeper issue here than what meets the eye.

Looking at the spirit of the chapter in which the former verse is written, we can see that Paul was talking about having divine order in the church.

Now, according to religious traditions prevalent during those days, it customary for men and women to sit separately on either sides in the church. Evidently, women in the Corinthian church were calling out to their husbands on the other side during services, thus causing much confusion.

Also, women normally in those days were not students of the law and were not allowed to go to the synagogue to get teaching, so it was only their husbands who were educated of the law.Consequently, in response to the confusion, Paul administers a word of discipline to the women stating that they should ask their questions at home in order to avoid interrupting the meetings. Another scripture popularly quoted is 1 Timothy 2:11-12) (Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence).

Some interpret this passage to mean that a woman should never teach in a church, which is wrong . In interpreting this verse, it is important to remember that the Greek words for “man” and “husband,” as well as the words for “woman” and “wife,” are the same.

So with that knowledge, we can see that context of the scripture shows that Paul is speaking about divine order in the home rather than order of ministry. What Paul is stating for all intents and purposes, is that the woman should remain submissive under her husband and that she must not manipulate or “usurp” the authority given to him in the household. This is because God has issued man as the head and the priest of the home. Of course, a man who is not a believer is not equipped to lead his household in the way of the Lord and the responsibility sometimes falls on the wife through default.

However, God’s divine order is for the husband to lead his family in spiritual things and he is able to do this properly only to the degree he is submitted to the Lordship of Jesus in his own life.

The Bible is replete with scriptural references showing women in leadership and ministerial positions. One example in the Old Testament is of a young Jewish girl by the name of Esther (a basic “rags to riches story”), we see that by the favour of God on her life she was able to be Queen (2nd in ranking) over an entire nation for the sole purpose of the deliverance of Israel (Esther 4:14).

While in the New Testament, we see women such as Priscilla (Acts 18:24-36Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)), who taught Apollos alongside with her husband. It is interesting to note that when she is mentioned in Romans 16:3.her name is placed before her husband’s which indicates the importance of her ministry.

Then there is Pheobe who Paul describes as a “servant of the church” which comes from the Greek word, “diakonon”, meaning “deaconess.” In Romans 16:2Open in Logos Bible Software (if available), he calls her a “succourer of many,” which comes from the Greek word, prostatis, meaning “overseer, one who has been given spiritual authority over others.” It is evident that Paul was not opposed to women in the ministry, for he says in Philippians 4:3.

“Greet those women who laboured with me in the Gospel”.

In conclusion, God commissioned both men and women to preach the gospel but because of improper research and incorrect Biblical interpretation, this commission cannot then become one-sided.

the Scriptures you quoted are self explanatory.
we don't need mortal explanation.
women shall be silence that is it. Bible.

there is different between a home and a church.
silent in the church and not home.

1 Like

Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by meetgaya: 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
kolaish:
What I want to say is that God can use anybody (male/female) that pleases him to preach or deliver His message.

God has never chastise anybody based on gender in the bible when it comes to the word. Let us focus on the message and not the messenger.

as far we are still in this life, even armed robbers has not been chastised by God talkless of women preachers.
there is God's perfect will and there is God's permissive will. women preachers are God's permissive will and not perfect will.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 09, 2018
Then what is the need of women going to church since they are to remain silent in the church.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 09, 2018
Humblechuks002:
Then what is the need of women going to church since they are to remain silent in the church.
are you saying women should go to church only if they are allowed to lead?

you think a church is a building? the church is the body of Christ and Christ is the head. He dictates how his church is to be lead and that has already made known through his apostles.
the teaching on women leading the church is not from the Lord Jesus.

Galatians 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

1 Like

Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by athorello(m): 3:31pm On Sep 09, 2018
I used to have a woman Pastor in my local rccg who won't touch our head during anointing. I don't usually like someone laying his hands on me but I particularly avoid female ministers. I will quickly leave the queue and join the one with a male pasta... Sometimes during special services with invited guests I don't know, I avoid laying of hands part.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Evanson92: 3:52pm On Sep 09, 2018
You have spoken by your assumption but remember the bible is an inspired book written by inspired men of God.I will start my point by borrowing from one of the replies from one of us because i loved it when he said and i quote do you ever see right from the old testament to the new testament that a woman was chosen by God to lead or unsurp authority by God? I guess no.So if no passage says so, so let's start to dig the bible. Remember in Corinthians Paul was addressing different issue both off and on the church doctrine that brought about women keeping silence in the CHURCH but you said it wasn't church that Paul wrote to be in silence but in the family of which it is not so as the bible says see 1Cor.14:34. We can not question God authority because His words are full of wisdoms that's while He also make Paul to write to Timothy stating the reasons while the women should keep silence in the church see 1Tim.2:11-14. So we should not boarder to try and explain it to favour any gender because of self appraisal. The bible has said that all things should be done decently and in order see 1Cor.14:40. Conclusively, it is not upright for a woman to lead men in any congregation for whatever reasons because it's not the pattern of God's worship. Women have been in existed even Christ to the world. God uses prophet during old days so we've not heard woman prophet nor when Christ came do we heard about woman Apostle. Thanks and remain blessed.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by fatiaforreal: 4:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hmmm!
Nothing that cannot be proven. So, only women were asking questions across the rows? Men were not asking questions? Continue toying with God's clear command.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by kolaish(m): 4:48pm On Sep 09, 2018
meetgaya:

as far we are still in this life, even armed robbers has not been chastised by God[b][/b] talkless of women preachers.
there is God's perfect will and there is God's permissive will. women preachers are God's permissive will and not perfect will.

With due respect, you are wrong on the bolded, kindly see the 10 Commandments that God wrote and gave to Moses; Thou shall not steal is included.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Dantedasz(m): 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
If we follow the teachings of the Bible there is no way any woman should be a Christian not to talk of mounting a pulpit. Spare time and watch this video to the end. These are things most Christians know or don't know are written in the holy books. Happy viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1JIKOMQV5A
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by MONIKERREVEALER: 7:41pm On Sep 09, 2018
Humblechuks002:
you stated that a wife is not allowed to have authority over her husband nor teach him at home. consider a scenario where a wife believes she has been "called" to become a preacher. according to you, she is not allowed to preach to her husband at home. my question now is in the case that the husband is not "called" to be a preacher himself, does this situation automatically disqualify him from attending his wifes "church" or is there a special exemption/dispensation given to the man so he does not go against the bible by submitting himself under the authority of his wife and being taught by her in her "church". thanks for your prompt response.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 10, 2018
Humblechuks002:

Also, women normally in those days were not students of the law and were not allowed to go to the synagogue to get teaching, so it was only their husbands who were educated of the law.Consequently, in response to the confusion, Paul administers a word of discipline to the women stating that they should ask their questions at home in order to avoid interrupting the meetings.

You right, back then it was ok to ask questions when the meetings were going on. it appears that some women went further to want to preside and teach the assembly since some men there werent giving them what they wanted.

I think you are already saying the same thing you seem to dispute. The counsel there does not mean that a woman should be mute in a service. Likely, if she has a revelation, she would talk. However, the counsel here is limiting her participation to that alone. She should not assume the podium and start teaching the assembly. Even in ancient Israel, which Paul knew well, it was disgraceful for a woman to teach the assembly. That never happens. That is clearly the spirit with which Paul wrote.

Another scripture popularly quoted is 1 Timothy 2:11-12) (Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence).

Granted, the words gune mean woman and wife while aner mean man and husband, but these does not lend credence to your point. while a man should take the lead spiritually in his home, the same is true in the congregation/church. The words given to Timothy is to correct bad practices in the congregation of Ephesus where bad eggs are beginning to grow. So the instruction is primarily for how the church should run, not the home. (1Tim 1:3, 4; acts 20:20, 29).

I dont that example shows how God allows a woman to assume the teaching of an assembly of God.

see, men and women alike are ministers, and as such they can teach people about God in field. True, Priscilla may have contributed to the correction given to Appollos, even she did so, that would mean that women are authorized to teach the assembly of God.

Phoebe is a servant/minister of the church in cenchreae. Like I said above, both men and women can be ministers of God. The thing is,people erroneously think that a minister as used in the bible onl refers to one who minister during church service. ie, one who does the preaching to the assembly of the church. That is erroneous. All true christians, who are members of the church are ministers of God, since they all are required to be preachers of the goodnews. These doesnt qualify them to be teachers of the assembly of the church. Phoebe is one such minister.

Prostatis is a greek word for helper, not overseer.

Women laboured with Paul in the gospel in that they join him in spreading the goodnews of the kingdom, not that they join him in teaching the assembly. Even from his background, Paul knew that women dont occupy such position.

True, women can teach well, but the thing is that men represent God in His house. And God has frequently used the male gender as a representation of himself. we never see God call Himself "she". So in His house, the men take the lead to represent Him, even in the household, the men are the head, not females. Not that no woman can really lead a home, but God made it that way to have men be the head. That gender represent HIM.

2 Likes

Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Hairyrapunzel: 10:09am On Sep 10, 2018
JMAN05:

You right, back then it was ok to ask questions when the meetings were going on. it appears that some women went further to want to preside and teach the assembly since some men there werent giving them what they wanted.

I think you are already saying the same thing you seem to dispute. The counsel there does not mean that a woman should be mute in a service. Likely, if she has a revelation, she would talk. However, the counsel here is limiting her participation to that alone. She should not assume the podium and start teaching the assembly. Even in ancient Israel, which Paul knew well, it was disgraceful for a woman to teach the assembly. That never happens. That is clearly the spirit with which Paul wrote.

Granted, the words gune mean woman and wife while aner mean man and husband, but these does not lend credence to your point. while a man should take the lead spiritually in his home, the same is true in the congregation/church. The words given to Timothy is to correct bad practices in the congregation of Ephesus where bad eggs are beginning to grow. So the instruction is primarily for how the church should run, not the home. (1Tim 1:3, 4; acts 20:20, 29).

I dont that example shows how God allows a woman to assume the teaching of an assembly of God.

see, men and women alike are ministers, and as such they can teach people about God in field. True, Priscilla may have contributed to the correction given to Appollos, even she did so, that would mean that women are authorized to teach the assembly of God.

Phoebe is a servant/minister of the church in cenchreae. Like I said above, both men and women can be ministers of God. The thing is,people erroneously think that a minister as used in the bible onl refers to one who minister during church service. ie, one who does the preaching to the assembly of the church. That is erroneous. All true christians, who are members of the church are ministers of God, since they all are required to be preachers of the goodnews. These doesnt qualify them to be teachers of the assembly of the church. Phoebe is one such minister.

Prostatis is a greek word for helper, not overseer.

Women laboured with Paul in the gospel in that they join him in spreading the goodnews of the kingdom, not that they join him in teaching the assembly. Even from his background, Paul knew that women dont occupy such position.

True, women can teach well, but the thing is that men represent God in His house. And God has frequently used the male gender as a representation of himself. we never see God call Himself "she". So in His house, the men take the lead to represent Him, even in the household, the men are the head, not females. Not that no woman can really lead a home, but God made it that way to have men be the head. That gender represent HIM.

So you are now in God's mind that men represent God in His house. Na was o
God even has representative and it must be a man.

All true Christians are now ministers because Bible said that phoebe was a minister/servant. Just to reduce Phoebe's role to nothing.

This your jehovah must really have a problem with women representing him in his house.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by Humanistme: 10:16am On Sep 10, 2018
yahweh and Paul hate women. nothing new Jesus Christ tried to be better.
Re: Are Women Preachers Allowed In The Church? by JusticeFOX(m): 4:33pm On Apr 22, 2019
Humanistme:
yahweh and Paul hate women. nothing new Jesus Christ tried to be better.
Hmmm!? I and my father are one, said Yahushua Ha'mashiac, if you consider that statement true, then what are you on about man?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Right To Choose / I'm Afraid I Will Die And Find Out Christians Or Jews Were Right And Not Muslims / 5 People Who Sold Their Souls To The Devil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.