Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,336 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa (26133 Views)

Lessons We Must Learn From The Emdee Tiamiyu's Saga/blunder. / Ndoni: Story Of Hausa Fishing Community In Rivers / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2018
I was in Kano sometime ago and observed that the average Hausa person is easy going, but don't take it for granted as that gentleness can become volatile in a moment. And that's mostly because they have a strong sense of communalism and will collectively rise against anyone they think attacks values/culture they generally share in common. These include their general religion, their emir and their political leader. More like a herd mentality (and I do not mean this in a negative or condescending way).

Even outside their region, they see themselves as one and distinctively different from others. For example, in Lagos where Igbos, Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, Urhobos, Tivs and other tribes can live in the same community with Yorubas, Hausa hardly mingle with others. If they're not living in barracks (cos the breadwinner is in the military or paramilitary), they're living in a Hausa quarters commonly called Sabo in Lagos (E.g. Sabo Ikorodu, Sabo Yaba, Sabo Agege).

They don't even mix much with some Yorubas that share religion with them. Instead, they have their own Hausa mosque in Lagos and only Hausas gather from all the vicinities in the area come there to worship. Politicians in their religion often exploit these cultural nuances to their advantage and that's why they easily dominate national politics in Nigeria

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IbrahimDamola: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2018
femi4:
fixed!

I served in the East, I know how they passed their Waec

I am from yorubaland, and I know we love fake oluwole certificates instead of reading our books and getting the certificate honestly. grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 07, 2018
teamb:
They don't make noise about thr WEALTH... LOVE HAUSA

STILL BUYING FIVERR FUND /PAYPAL@YOUR RATE....
Check signature for contact

TEAMB

Na lie... They show off to each other .materlialosm is high there hence high rate of divorce

1 Like

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Icon79(m): 3:34pm On Sep 07, 2018
Good point! Hausas are very accommodating. that's how the Fulani's took advantage of their kindheartedness to dominate them, subjugate them and drive them out of their lands. I like the Hausas .... I don't know about the Fulanis tho.

O pari

ChinagoChiBoy:
Hausa's are very PEACE-loving and kind hearted people, very humble and their women are epitome of beauty.
I THINK ISLAM MADE THEM SOME.

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Elliot2(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2018
a lot of hausas r nice people;in fact,i prefer them to every other ethnic groups,including my ijaw people. however,their downside is the religious senstivity. "sanu" to all d hausas here.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by holywahala19(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2018
lathrowinger:

Yeeeh, mogbe. U WAHALA kill u there. Anofia. Terrorist like u
Wasted entity. Ur type ought not to have access to phone. oponu

1 Like

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by thaoriginator: 3:36pm On Sep 07, 2018
IYANGBALI:
Majority of them are animals in human skin, life means nothing to them
You be winch! Mayyaa!

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by femi4: 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

I am from yorubaland, and I know we love fake oluwole certificates instead of readimg our books and getting the certificate honestly. grin
You are on your own
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by thaoriginator: 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2018
WritePal:
I was in Kano sometime ago and observed that the average Hausa person is easy going, but don't take it for granted as that gentleness can become volatile in a moment. And that's mostly because they have a strong sense of communalism and will collectively rise against anyone they think attacks values/culture they generally share in common. These include their general religion, their emir and their political leader. More like a herd mentality (and I do not mean this in a negative or condescending way).

Even outside their region, they see themselves as one and distinctively different from others. For example, in Lagos where Igbos, Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, Urhobos, Tivs and other tribes can live in the same community with Yorubas, Hausa hardly mingle with others. If they're not living in barracks (cos the breadwinner is in the military or paramilitary), they're living in a Hausa quarters commonly called Sabo in Lagos (E.g. Sabo Ikorodu, Sabo Yaba, Sabo Agege).

They don't even mix much with some Yorubas that share religion with them. Instead, they have their own Hausa mosque in Lagos and only Hausas gather from all the vicinities in the area come there to worship. Politicians in their religion often exploit these cultural nuances to their advantage and that's why they easily dominate national politics in Nigeria
You still dey learn.

Come to Obalende and see how Yoruba and Hausa mingle well.

Idi Araba, Agege, etc..

1 Like

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Icon79(m): 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2018
Your observation is right! The Hausa-Fulani muslims don't even consider Yoruba muslims as real muslims. That's why I laugh each time I see some of those braindead Afonjas thinking that the Fulani herdsmen are only going to attack Ndi Igbo when they start their full scale invasion.
Take it from someone who knows, if that time comes, they would try to exterminate the Yorubas first before turning on Ndi Igbo.

O pari

WritePal:

3 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by mrkia(m): 3:41pm On Sep 07, 2018
Oh no! I don't like this.....
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IbrahimDamola: 3:41pm On Sep 07, 2018
WritePal:

Their herd mentality is what we yoruba muslims call 'sophisticated politics'. Our leader Tinubu has identified that education is a problem that will impede herd mentality, so he has ensured that education and literacy is destroyed in yorubaland especially Osun and Oyo so that our people can becomes zombies (the herd mentality you talked about) and he is succeding as our yoruba states are now doing very poorly in WAEC and JAMB than Borno and yobe. This is the sacrifice we have to make so our yoruba leaders and their children can be 'politically powerful' and 'sophisticated' while the common yoruba man become almajiri lesser than hausas in nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by benzion72(m): 3:42pm On Sep 07, 2018
1 Hausa packaging of goods are unequal e g tomatoes

2. North is not predominantly Hausa

3. you can't get Hausa Fulani girl to date they are married of at early age

4. they treasure their language more than English our lingual franca bar turenchi

5. doubt if they believed HIV aid exist

6. they believed Corper are police

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IbrahimDamola: 3:43pm On Sep 07, 2018
femi4:
You are on your own

We are together, odua a gba wa o.
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by maamisco(f): 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2018
dollarsplenty:
Ka gama ko? What of free/government money (Kudi banza), political power (siyasa), Kabilanci and averagely more honest than other tribes? Malam Baushe kena!
Babu karya a maganarsa madam. Hausawa are d mst wonderful pple to assct wit my dear. So that, siyasa, kabilanci, kudin banza is everywhere! karki rena mana wayo

1 Like

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by leisuretym: 3:54pm On Sep 07, 2018
you forgot to mention that they are good at welcoming and harbouring anyone from Niger , Chad into the country as long as the person can speak hausa, and if you do not understand hausa and you speak english to them as a stranger, they will say Ba Turenshi! and ignore you, you didnt also mention that 3brothers can use one certificate to secure FG job using the same name ,
oh , hausa man can load tomatoes on fuel tankers from north to lagos and Road safety officers will not see him but carry a pipe on your bus you will be arrested

Nigeria Army unused land belong to Hausa speaking people and they can build whatever they want there, selling weed and metal scraps , if you are doubting me, go to lafenwa in abeokuta , they even have military boys on uniform staying with them, fact even as i speak now
also when you have a baby , either you are 12years old or less, you are qualified to have a voter card and vote

also, as a hausa man, it is proper for you to move around with dagger but for any other tribe, its à crime. lol

5 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IJEYdiamond(f): 3:57pm On Sep 07, 2018
What about population explosion?? that should been included. Telling us Kano is having the highest population in the country.
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IYANGBALI: 3:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
thaoriginator:
You be winch! Mayyaa!
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Bryan88(m): 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
hardwork fire....those people can beg for africa.

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by perdollar(m): 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
nothing good comes out from d north. illiteracy, poverty, violence, low IQ, zombies etc is all dey can export.

3 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by thaoriginator: 4:01pm On Sep 07, 2018
IYANGBALI:
Duk gidan ku mayu ne.

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by IYANGBALI: 4:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
thaoriginator:
Duk gidan ku mayu ne.
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by omoelerin1: 4:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
Ikem11:

Just take correction from the guy. There is nothing like ibo stop your ignorance
But some Igbo sef call it ibo.

Do you know what Igbo means in Yoruba? weed as in cannabis/ marijuana.

It is better for you people to be answering Igbo than Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Seetto: 4:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hausa people are more accommodating than any other tribe in Nigeria , no wonder u found pack Igbo people doing business without any form of intimidation..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 07, 2018
Postingdayinfo:
You might be wondering who and what they are?. But the best way to study any member of nature’s community is to visit its home.

Let me prepare your mind before you read further; you will be reading both the good and bad part of the Northerners (popularly called Hausa) as observed by me, an outsider.

okay, let’s start our funfilled journey into the badlands. These are things I observed during my stay in the north, among the Hausa people;

1. Tolerance

The first thing that amazed me about Hausas during my first day is how slow they are to anger ― with each other especially.

“Mallam, kada kada!!” meaning Mr., Small Small (or easy). That was what I shouted at the bike man conveying me to a destination. He almost hit an oncoming bike. I thought the encounter will result in fists exchange as I have seen in the South and West. To my surprise, the only words they exchanged was a greeting with the smile.

This repeatedly happened in all of the same occurrences I witnessed.

2. Subtle Begging

The first day I saw this well-planned begging style, I was repairing my phone with a Hausa man. A lady with make-over (many of their girls always wear make-up), enters saying greetings to the man. The man gave her N50 and she dipped her hand into a bowl carried by a small boy, bringing out something that looks like beans cake. Oh! I forgot to tell you, there are about seven lads trolling behind her. You still don’t get it?! The children are what they call Almajiris.

She prepares the beans cake (look-like) and distributes the equivalent of the amount of alms she receives to the children. This is a case of using the money to make money.

3. Hardwork

Another way these important tribe in Nigeria caught me off-guard was their business methods and how they try to earn a living. Before my visit to the north, in my thought, I divided the three important tribes in Nigeria based on what I think they are proficient with and in.

Yoruba (Education), Igbo (Business), and Hausa (Farming).

To my utmost surprise, northerners are lovers of business as much as Ibos ― if not more industrious than Ibos. They do any work available with awesome customer service. Their children can be found selling different things ranging from sachet water to chinchin. Seeing the hustle spirit in these kids makes me realize you can survive anywhere, anytime without depending on anybody.

4. Extremely Dominating

I experienced a mixed feeling of surprise and confirmation of my suspicion when I discovered this no. 4 in the Hausas. They are not easily dominated, but they love being dominated. Just like the park of wolves where everyone wants to lead but always bow to the leader chosen.

Whenever there is an argument, they are always in support of the person who appears dominating irrespective of who is right or wrong. This is however different in an instance where a fight ensues between one of them and an outsider; they support their own.

5. Free Feeling Expression

Irrespective of who you are, they always voice their feeling(s) about you, to your face. Maybe that is why they have fewer gossipers ― come on! I wouldn’t know.

6. Copyrights Of Postingday.com

Add yours to the list.

Source: https://postingday.com/2018/08/31/top5-lessons-you-can-learn-from-the-hausa/

"" Tolerance ""

"" To my utmost surprise, northerners are lovers of business as much as Ibos ― if not more industrious than Ibos.""

I've noticed that this website dishes out trash every single day...

3 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Ibrahim505(m): 4:13pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hausa is one of minority tribe in Nigeria in terms of population but the 'Hausa language' is being concurring and dominating many other languages across west Africa.
Fulani are the most populous tribe in Nigeria, and they are speaking Hausa as their official language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Mizwisdom(f): 4:21pm On Sep 07, 2018
Hausa Christians are the best citizens in Nigeria. They are the real tolerant ones

6 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Melchizedek3(m): 4:22pm On Sep 07, 2018
shut up and get some experience newbie. You can't tell the true colour of a chameleon by first sight!
Your entire post shows you are indeed a new comer who hopes all is well.
Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Ikem11(m): 4:22pm On Sep 07, 2018
omoelerin1:
But some Igbo sef call it ibo.

Do you know what Igbo means in Yoruba? weed as in cannabis/ marijuana.

It is better for you people to be answering Igbo than Igbo.
Well u entitled to what u think but to us our name na Igbos not ibo.

2 Likes

Re: Top5 Things You Can Learn From The Hausa by Bionic07: 4:30pm On Sep 07, 2018
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin

1. The yan-daba did not appear out of thin air someone patronises and uses them.
2. That is not subtle begging ogbeni that is a business and the white thing is called masa
3. You have a limited view of the Hausa with regards to business everyone is a businessman in his/her turf.
4. The hausa-fulani invented systemic racism if you don't know what it means Google it.
5. You know the word guluma was not invented by error...

Bros just add masters of deception and your list is complete, the OP knows next to nothing about the Hausa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

21 Things To Know About The Proposed Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge / Lady Who Wrongly Accused Taxi Driver Of Theft Apologises / Russia, Ukraine War: How Are Nigerians Living There Coping?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.