Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia (48900 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Hilary2010(m): 9:32am On Dec 01, 2011
Hello Everyone,

@Medlabgirl, i really love your post about British Columbia. In every thing in life, perception is the key and your mindset. No country is easy to stay in and work yourself up in life but most times it helps us to stay positive because where they say there is thorn there, you will go and lay marbles for yourself.

Coming to your post, what are the chances for non-skilled workers in British Columbia or any other Canadian city that you know. Also the type of trade one can learn back in Nigeria before trying to come over to have the chances of work. I will also appreciate it if you have the pay structure presently and the basic expenses one is expected to make. I am saying this in respect of savings at the end of the month depending on the amount of time put in a day.

Thanks for your nice post.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by leonaidas(m): 8:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
Good stuff!
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by otokx(m): 2:21pm On Dec 02, 2011
interesting thread
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by dtsmile: 7:56am On Dec 05, 2011
How easy is it to come to study medicine over there as a second degree after a first degree in Nigeria and how much does it cost?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mikkyangel(m): 6:30am On Jan 10, 2012
[quote][/quote]
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by lighternote: 12:55am On Jan 19, 2012
@medlabgirl,
I must commend the kind manner in which you respond to comments on your coming to Canada post on nairaland.com. Those posts of yours are quite insightful on the issues of where to pitch one's tent in Canada. God bless you immensely. Whatever you lay your hands on shall prosper,IJN.
I bless the day I stumbled unto the thread. I've made up my mind on coming to British Columbia.I am interested in MPH in a reputable university in BC,which do you suggest? I've done quite a lot of research bt would I would like you to suggest where I can easily get a good support job as a graduate student.
Meanwhile,m a young mother of two and would like them to come over with me.
Please,consider all these and advise accordingly.
Thanks
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by rashypep(m): 10:58am On Jan 19, 2012
help needed, can a tourist visa be converted to a student visa in canada, replies will be appreciated
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Freesia(f): 3:52pm On Jan 19, 2012
@Medlabgirl I hope you are doing okay,we have missed "seeing" ya
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Gilbertman(m): 4:03am On Feb 07, 2012
Happy time to you Medlabgirl.
Remember I wrote you from Belize? I am presently in New York, and I am considering exploring Canada.Not for me personally but for my folks back home.Naturally you come to mind, as I remembered your contributions here and mentioning of BC etc.
How do I reach you?fax me on 1(9285692502).
Sorry to hear to hear of the unfortunate exposure during interactions at your workplace.may the Lord continu to keep you safe and well protected.
Keep strong and happy.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Paschal137(m): 10:21am On Feb 07, 2012
@ medlabgal,
I got an offer from Thompson Rivers University,Kamloop,BC.Since i will be moving to kamloop,i want to know more about kamloop and it environment.Also the best place to stay in kamloop as a student.I hope to hear from u soon.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by noniwealth(f): 12:41am On Feb 09, 2012
@medlabgirl,you have indeed done great with this thread & your prayers are answered Amen.Delta007 and everyone that's added positively to this thread will be greatly rewarded.
Please I need your advice on this as its really affecting my youger brother.He was working with an IT firm & doing good until early last year when the company could no longer afford his services anymore,he had a girlfriend in canada and they decided to tie the knots last month.the problem is They had plans coming to canada but after the marriage his wife went back to canada,{Alberta} with the marriage certs that he should fill the parmenent residence form & post to her to file the application from canada,on getting back to canada instead of the wife to do as agreed she decides to relocate back to Nigeria reasons are
1}The application will take up to 1yr
2} If he eventually come to canada he won't get a job until after 2yrs when he must have finished a training cos to enable him work in canada
3} The only job he can even get will be care aid & can never be a parmanent one because he is a man
3} He will not be able to achieve anything back home except if a miracle happens,
Meanwhile the guy has not been working for almost 8months now since he lost his last job & spent all his savings on the wedding held in january this year,this is really affecting him as the wife already has a building she is about to finish in nigeria and wants him to move in with her,he feels very uncomfortable about this & needs to know if these facts as stated by his wife is true about canada
1}He needs to know how long the application for spouse will take before he can be allowed entry to canada & how long it will take afterwards to get the citzenship
2} If its true he won't be able to get a job as she claims and will take 2yrs to get trained before he can work in canada
considering his present condition of no work in nigeria is she not better of staying with him in canada to see him through the process now that she has a parmenent job and can file for her husband now,this is a very touching feeling for him as I am begginig to feel the wife is just being selfish by not wanting him to come as she fears he might react after he got his papers,but I think her selfishness will still not make things work when obviously you are richer than your husband and wants him to move into your own built apartment.I don't know if I can explain the situation well as I'm not the one directly involved but it sorts af affects me too as he is my blood brother

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by noniwealth(f): 12:55am On Feb 09, 2012
Please he needs response like yesterda & if possible with facts to back up the duration for spouse application process and how long before he can get a job.He is an IT guru with A+,Network+ & CWNP “Certified Wireless Network professional”pls Medlabgirl & Delta007 we need ur urgent advice on how to go about these or if she is right about her claims
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by pauloman(m): 12:24am On Aug 03, 2012
raphrinco: Please guys any info and help on getting a good football club in Canada?

Canadian government currently needs sports men to give permanent residence visa
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mikkyangel(m): 4:05am On Aug 03, 2012
Na waa ohh, has medlabgirl gone on exile? Abi una dey talk to ghost?

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Solitin40: 11:57am On Dec 13, 2012
[color=#006600][/color] pls mr ola my name is sola i live in nigeria i wn to schk in winnipeg mb,canada. Uwinnipeg pls i wnt tu ask u abt winnipeg life nd also d visa step to take pls can u cal me on dis nober m pls sir am in ss2 assit me or give me ur fone nunber tank u sir God bless u i prefer u cal me nd give me nd we chat tank u
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by evergreeny2k: 12:52pm On Dec 17, 2014
Happy to have come across this thread. Medlab kudos!!
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by adiukuonyebuchi: 3:36pm On Mar 30, 2017
Hello
please i am ADIUKU ONYEBUCHI by name i am in Nigeria but i got Admission in Collage of the Rockies in Canbrooks British Columbia. my course is graduate Diploma in Sustainable business starting by 5th of September, please and please what do i need to make this dream a reality.

i have my sponsor. i have my IELTS ,and other things i think that are required anyway. please i have been rejected before due to what i think was the reason. my sponsor then gave me account balance less than 2million naira.

please what do i do to get visa please

thanks

Adiuku Onyebuchi Nwanze
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Joyeka: 5:27pm On May 11, 2017
please how easy is it to find a one bedroom apartmemt in surrey....
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by mzhorlah(f): 1:23pm On May 19, 2017
Pls i need to know if it is possible to seek n get Job/employment in Canada from Nigeria here n then later apply for Masters programme or something...
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by DereI(f): 7:02pm On Jul 08, 2017
I really wish this thread is still active. Its really helpful.

Lets try to bring it back to life.

I'll be going to BC next month. ANyone going there? Victoria (Camosun COllege) precisely.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 28, 2018
DereI:
I really wish this thread is still active. Its really helpful.

Lets try to bring it back to life.

I'll be going to BC next month. ANyone going there? Victoria (Camosun COllege) precisely.

Guess you are there. Kindly share your experience gaining admission plus I have a few questions to ask. Thanks
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Samson92us: 7:37pm On Apr 07, 2018
Medlabgirl, I so much enjoyed your tips. Thanks. Please I am interested in coming there, how can you help in giving all info, tips and assistance I need? My mail is samson92us@gmail.com. Thanks. Expecting your mail sooner. God bless you.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by hayor2014(m): 11:29pm On Apr 14, 2018
Good evening e fam....being on this path to Canada just recently and thank God things have been fast,I I have no family or friends in Canada,I have no idea where to reside based on factors like cost of living, job availability, ease of raising a family,affordable accommodation....research on the internet is generic as all provinces seem good,...I am an ICAN/ACCOUNTING graduate, 8 years banking experience in branch operations,internal control and IT control,I will like to practise as an accountant/auditor in Canada,will work on getting CPA as soon as I get to canny... I would appreciate suggestions please....thank you all

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Mayboy(m): 6:41am On Apr 15, 2018
Good morning boss(es) in the house. please I'm in of help/ guidance concerning Canada. I wish to progress my education, even work in Canada. I have bsc ed in Economics with 2.2 grade, M.ed in curriculum studies and I'm presently working as coordinating officer in one Organization. I have my eyes on UBC for my studies but I'm having issues choosing which program to go for. I have 58% in my master (long essay) please guide me on necessary steps to take if I can apply for between PhD,MPhil or pre-PhD programs? thanks.
please help your guy.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by bolabae: 9:10pm On Apr 22, 2018
Hello everyone, please can someone share link or site to get houses in Surrey. Thank you
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by hayor2014(m): 10:27am On Apr 23, 2018
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by hayor2014(m): 10:27am On Apr 23, 2018
bolabae
hayor2014:
kijiji.ca
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by darbuk(m): 3:40pm On Apr 23, 2018
@medlabgirl, I received an invitation to attend a conference at British Columbia University by June and my intention is to stay back at Canada. From ur wealth of experience, what is my chance of staying back, getting job and even resident permit. Thank you as I earnestly wait for ur response.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by luvluvluv: 2:59am On Apr 24, 2018
Ok
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 24, 2018
People like you are the reason why my many genuinely applicants suffer in the hands of Canadian VO, you told them you are going for conference and they believedyou, now you have not even leave and you want to stay back as illegal immigrants and when get caught, you will be deported and Ban for life. Trust me don't do this

darbuk:
@medlabgirl, I received an invitation to attend a conference at British Columbia University by June and my intention is to stay back at Canada. From ur wealth of experience, what is my chance of staying back, getting job and even resident permit. Thank you as I earnestly wait for ur response.

3 Likes

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by iaatmguy(m): 7:30am On Jan 26, 2019
Delta007:

This is the mistake lots of immigrants make i.e. writing off Eastern Canada or other provinces like say na ethnic diversity we go chop. As someone that has travelled (and lived) the length of Canada, I'd always advise immigrants (especially professional immigrants) to settle in the smaller provinces (NS, NB or even NFLD). There's no point moving to Toronto to rent or buy a house and compete with fellow immigrants to get jobs, while the Eastern provinces are always tweaking their programs to attract immigrants. For instance, if you are a medical practioner looking to practice, you are more likely to get your license easier in NFLD than in ON; infact, you can start practicing in less than a year and get a full license 2yrs afterwards then you can relocate to any province of your choice; but guess what? There are thousands of MDs in ON, AB & BC that have been applying for years trying to get in the system because of ethnic diversity. Same thing with Engineering. NB just started a program that will accept foreign experience and grant you a P.Eng  ceritificate without writing exams all over again within a few mths; the P.Eng certs are interchangeable within the provinces; but guess what? There are several hundreds of Engineers that have been writing exams in ON. I can go on and on; The trick to immigrating is planning properly and knowing what each province can provide you based on your outlook & priorities in life. If my parents were immigrating to Canada today, I'd tell them, go to Victoria cos it's a beautiful & nice place to retire. If you are into full time business, I'd advice you to move to Toronto because it;s very close to the US and you'd most likely be doing business in the US. If you are looking to settle as a professional and need a license to practice, you need to look for a province that has a clear cut program that will absorb you. Once you are absorbed into the system, you can move anywhere you want to. If you are looking for manual labour jobs, every province offers something although there are obviously more factories in ON, so there are more opportunities there. But then again, there are usually lesser applicants for every position advertised in the Eastern province compared to cities like Toronto and the cost of living is obviously relatively cheaper. When you find your feet, then you can move to wherever you can to find your diversity wahala; but quite frankly, no offence to other immigrants, I like my non-diverse neighbourhoods, relatively little or no crimes, house value appreciating everyday and you get to deal with people that know how to deal with other people. Unfortunately, immigrants (Africans, Indians, etc) most times end up in this part of the world very arrogant and ignorant, rude, loud and could care less about their neighbours. . .same traits we exhibit at home. I will not buy an overpriced property in Jane and Finch (Toronto) but I'd willingly buy properties in the Eastcoast.
dont know if this is still apllicable

einsteino do you fancy moving to other provinces. Guess it would be easier to get your certification.

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by ensamy(m): 12:07pm On Jan 26, 2019
Medlabgirl:
I have posted a detailed answer twice now in response to Ola above. May I ask Mr Moderator why they have been deleted please?

Ola abeg read the post now, before you accuse me of misleading anyone. Nobody paid me anything, so haba? I provided a link with a lot of info that would have answered some of your questions. Anyway, in response to a few of them:

Regarding papers, I will take them from different angles, but long and short is, once your leg don enter here, unless you commit a crime, you are almost guaranteed to stay.

If you come as a student, under the new immigration initiative, after school you can apply to stay See this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp. You will get your residency, and soon after you will start to travel BLUE, as travelling GREEN as we all know can be hazardous to your health.

If you come as a worker, same applies as above.

If you are coming in with your resident permit, then you are golden, and we just talk about work and settling (below)

If you come as a visitor, first you fit begin extend, after two extensions, if you see person wey go give you work and sponsor you, you can change to work permit, or you fit marry their pickin, or if you plan to chop aduro, then that`s also a possibility.

If you just waka come, oh well then you have no option but aduro, and you will have to have your story and all documents prepared and very strong before you go raise hand. You cannot change your story halfway through. Like I said earlier, almost everyone dey get am.

School wise, there are many schools, with fees comparable to most places in Canada. Schools for children boku in every city. For e.g, my kids are in French Immersion, which means that they are instructed solely in French, and learn English in the community, thus affording them the opportunity of having two primary languages.

There are jobs here, especially if you are a professsional, although like in so many other places, you may need to upgrade, or to start at a lower level to get `Canadian Experience` Nurses have no problems the world over, here is no exception.
For those with only secondary education, or non professionals, or just for starters while you explore other options, there are many avenues to take: for e.g a laboratory assistant course is 6months and about $9000 The starting pay is $17per hr. Many newcomers, because they are in a hurry take the care aide route. That is about 12000 for a 6mth course, pay starts at $18per hr. If you choose the Licensed Practical Nurse LPN option its $12-14000 in public schols, and twice that in private schools for a 1 year course, and the pay is from $28 per hr. You will get a job straight from school. Bus drivers start from $26 per hr, mechanics and plumbers are in high demand, and God knows that if you are in home construction, like a carpenter or a stucco worker ,a painter or things like that, you better start coming today, because BC belongs to you.
For students wanting a parttime job for e.g, or just as a basic basic starting point, you can be a security guard. You WILL get a job for sure, you will likely receive on the job training, if not, the course is two weeks long, and you will likely start at $10-12 per hr.

People with their own businesses do very well because the tax system favors you better than the paid worker as you are allowed to claim this and that.

Healthcare is awesome. Everyone pays basic health insurance monthly, or your job might pay it, or if you are low income, the government will pay it, or subsidize it. You can then go to the doctors and hospitals for nothing and majority of procedures are covered. My friends mom has had two knee replacement surgeries since she got her papers 2 yrs ago. She came as a visitor by the way.

Bobs I know nothing about women, since I am a woman myself, but from what I can see, the boys are not doing badly; even the married badboys (ugh!) There are also many good women here who are looking for good men (excludes self )

Further questions ??

I have applied for a visitor visa to attend a conference in BC, Nanaimo , VC. I am going to be the resource person.
What are my chances of PR if I decide to stay back.
shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eva Gichuru: Female Pilot Applauded For Landing Plane Safely Despite Bad Weather / Photos Of A Container Fall In Apapa Lagos, Perfectly Timed / Day And Night Pictures Of Abuja Satellite area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.