Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? (26333 Views)

Beyond Dancing In Church, Christians Must Develop Personal Relationship With God / WHAT CHRISTIANS MUST KNOW ABOUT ISLAM / Do Muslims Celebrate White Weddings Too? Isn't It For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Ishilove: 8:59am On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
Ishi, are you a Christian?
Yes. Why do you ask?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 9:11am On Sep 21, 2018
Ishilove:

Yes. Why do you ask?
And yet you think Church wedding is irrelevant?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by nikkihope: 9:15am On Sep 21, 2018
It is the complete pack of those who can give benefit to their clients. When you really fed up to those fake offers by taking every single offer unreal by promoters. It would probably change your life so you should keep your hopes high. Buy online custom thesis from UK certified and experienced writers with trusted representatives. eu4 event id
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:17am On Sep 21, 2018
Soleymania:
Weddings are usually a ceremony of great joy but today the sorrow that follows some wedding ceremonies raises questions in ones heart.

Who decreed that Christians must have white weddings which we have now christened church or Christian marriage.

How many marriages were conducted in the sanctuary or temple in Bible days? Should we really spend so much to get married?

We have heard stories of people arranging some part of their marriage ceremony on credit in the hope that they will make enough from the spraying of money during the bridal dance to offset their loans.

I remember attending a wedding where the DJ refused to turn on the microphone because he had not been fully paid for his service at the reception. We pleaded and pleaded but he would not budge. Someone had to go to an ATM to get the cash for him before the reception could begin.

What type of marriage ceremonies were carried out in Bible days? How were these ceremonies conducted? Does having your marriage ceremony in church add anything to your marriage?

Let's share notes and thoughts on this.

1. It is not white wedding! It is Christian wedding. Every culture has its own wedding style that is informed according to its religion and religious belief, for Jews, Judaism and Jewish culture is one and the same thing, so a wedding for them is simply a contract entered by two families and ratified by their consent, the parents pray for the couples and that is it! This marriage is recognized as valid by all Jews.

In other places these ceremony also involves sacrifice in accordance with the religion the culture is based upon, for this reason not every traditional marriage is OK for a Christian to perform.

Even so from the earliest time it was the Christian practice to seek approval for marriage from the church as represented by her leaders, we see this in the early church as far back as 110AD and by the 2nd century the Christian received their weddings from their priest since many times they would refuse anything related to pagan ceremonies.

A priest, the couple, members of the church as witness and exchange of consent became the way Christians did wedding.

Nobody says you should wear white or cook food or call DJ. In fact I was in my church some years back for morning mass and met a wedding with the couples in traditional attire, no pomp etc just the church, they exchanged vows and were married, they went home and entertained only family and close friends.

For Christians marriage means more than what is accepted by any tradition whether Jewish or African for this reason the ceremony that marks such union is not celebrated according to tradition but according to their Faith. I will not celebrate an indissoluble Convenant with a traditional ceremony that implies is is a contract to be broken anytime one decides.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Etizz: 9:18am On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
My people suffer because of lack of knowledge and understanding.

Now to face the history teachers who suddenly know what gown Queen Victoria wore on her wedding day, the Christian wedding is not an indigenous western tradition. They adopted it just like us. Before most of Europe became Christians, they practiced rituals such as hand fasting, blood oaths, wine sharing (this one should sound familiar), and many other unique practices. They abandoned all these for the Christian wedding ceremony while

On a final note, traditional marriage still remains important because WE still hold on to its significance. After much headache involving legitimacy of both marriage and offspring begotten, The Church often requires you to perform the traditional ceremony so as to avoid stories that touch for you or your kids. But still remember that you're not husband and wife in the eyes of God until His minister has blessed your union.

So u mean after traditional marriage yet you are not husband and wife Abi?

So what are they?

U be dey make sense before until u mention that.... Trust me, u fukkd up over that statement...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by vatowo: 9:18am On Sep 21, 2018
hmmmm...I see where this Is coming from and going to. Be calm...God will take control...shey na cash now. E go better.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Apina(m): 9:18am On Sep 21, 2018
cbrass:

So according to you if I choose not to marry in the church and do Trad.it is not accepted?
I never said so undecided
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:19am On Sep 21, 2018
Benekruku:
Oyinbo culture they adopted.

not really, white traditional people have their own traditional marriage, Christian White people do theirs in the church same as Christian Koreans and Christian African

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Etizz: 9:24am On Sep 21, 2018
Eaa247:

was Moses a Christian?
are Jewish tradition Christian traditions?
u mixed things up. Remember Judaism and Christianity are two different religions.
The truth is 'white wedding' was no where recorded in the Bible.
White wedding is a borrowed European idea.
I am not against it but I am not doing it.
Marriage is just getting d consent of both parents and paying the dowry

Simple.....
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 9:36am On Sep 21, 2018
Etizz:

So u mean after traditional marriage yet you are not husband and wife Abi?

So what are they?

U be dey make sense before until u mention that.... Trust me, u fukkd up over that statement...
Emphasis on in the eyes of God. You're husband and wife in your traditional community. But if you're a Christian, the Church does not consider you married. It's as simple as that.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by SheIsElle(f): 9:37am On Sep 21, 2018
hisgrace090:

John 2:1-10 says there was a marriage in canna in galilee.
When did the phrase "canna in Galilee" become synonymous with "synagogue". That's just the name of a community. That chapter is telling you that a wedding took place in that village and from my own interpretation, it must have been a traditional marriage ceremony.

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 9:42am On Sep 21, 2018
and u didnt read that well that they ask why bring the best wine when we are sore drunk. read and let sense
Nauttyprof:

You added yours to the Bible. There was no part where drunkenness was included
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Etizz: 9:43am On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
Emphasis on in the eyes of God. You're husband and wife in your traditional community. But if you're a Christian, the Church does not consider you married. It's as simple as that.

Thank u for making me to understand you point, but, do you mean after traditionally, God still will not accept me as married?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 9:46am On Sep 21, 2018
Etizz:

Thank u for making me to understand you point, but, do you mean after traditionally, God still will not accept me as married?
He won't.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 9:46am On Sep 21, 2018
are u amrrying for the church or for ur own family
Kaycee7:
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 21, 2018
Mandynews:
In Rev. 19:7-9 the Bible says, "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him; for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife has made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white; for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he said unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said unto me, These are the true sayings of God."
Did you understand that Bible verse you just quoted ?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 9:48am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
are u amrrying for the church or for ur own family
For myself
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 9:52am On Sep 21, 2018
so why must church decide whether to approve ur traditionally wedded wife?
Kaycee7:
For myself
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 21, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
It is not a decree. . . . Only a matter of CHOICE. kiss

Never had one and will never have one.
Allergic to priests, pastors and churches!

If e gree you do. . . Fire on!
Don’t invite me abeg!
I go see una for reception hall. kiss
It's funny when a lecturer will tell you ;

"You see these my textbook,I'm not coercing you to get it o..if you like you get it,if you don't like ,forget it .
Class rep.,get me the names of those that purchased that book,if you didn't, you won't be eligible to register my course in the up coming exam ! "
Anyway,it's still a "choice" undecided
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 10:04am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
so why must church decide whether to approve ur traditionally wedded wife?
Because I am a Christian.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 10:10am On Sep 21, 2018
that u are christian doesnt mean that ppl that dont share ur belief and marry in their own choicest way are not married na
Kaycee7:
Because I am a Christian.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evidenx(m): 10:16am On Sep 21, 2018
abc115:
grin

If you have attended over 100 weddings in your life and are still single, you are not different from a canopy.
hahaha...kai! so we get many canopy brothers and sisters for naija.. haha
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Soleymania(m): 10:16am On Sep 21, 2018
Finally!!! FP...
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 10:23am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
that u are christian doesnt mean that ppl that dont share ur belief and marry in their own choicest way are not married na
I never implied anything like that. It would be a very stupid assumption. I'm only trying to clarify issues to people who claim to be Christians and yet feel they don't need to be wed by a minister of God.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 21, 2018
I would like a white wedding but not a big one just one that all my real people can come to and celebrate with me o would appreciate it if it was same day as well for both traditional and white

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 10:27am On Sep 21, 2018
whats the importance of being wedded by a minister? The last time i checked, our parents or guidance are our god on earth of which with their consent and proclamation the deal is done
Kaycee7:
I never implied anything like that. It would be a very stupid assumption. I'm only trying to clarify issues to people who claim to be Christians and yet feel they don't need to be wed by a minister of God.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by marshalldgreat(m): 10:27am On Sep 21, 2018
Simplep:
Total waste of money jare,i always say i dnt want dat white wedding,its jst too loud,and i really dnt like people putting eye on me,bt IF my husband to be insists,we'll jst do it in a very low key,families and close friends,make we dey go house jeje
that's why i want to marry you because you go manage our money well.... grin
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 10:31am On Sep 21, 2018
do u know the major reason why many girls remain unmarried till today? because the guys are busy either saving to meet up with the ceremonies first b4 they approach or they are hoping to get the best paying job that will sustain the currently perceived wedding ceremonies which all the girls glee for. My advise to u is, if see that young that just want only family in-house marriage rituals pls accept him and encourage him to take u to the court for registration
solasoulmusic:
I would like a white wedding but not a big one just one that all my real people can come to and celebrate with me o would appreciate it if it was same day as well for both traditional and white
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 10:32am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
whats the importance of being wedded by a minister? The last time i checked, our parents or guidance are our god on earth of which with their consent and proclamation the deal is done
Are you a Christian?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by gidayo: 10:34am On Sep 21, 2018
As the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that [Noah] entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be.

Are you ready?

If Christ had come 2 minutes agao , would you have been rejoicing or gnashing your teeth?

You still have to chance to repent and retrace your steps.

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Jackipapa: 10:38am On Sep 21, 2018
chuka5000:
op
its like u have calculated the expenses involved in it up coming wedding and u are look for a way out.

take it easy bro
almost everybody experienced same

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2018
i was but currently i dont believe in existence of god. but i dont tell ppl to disregard their belief. mine is straight and simple "live in peace with one another and assist ppl where u can and ask ppl when u need and hope to receive from them. i have no deity i worship because the entire stories are lies.

Am sure u will stop talking to me from now u know i dont share ur belief
Kaycee7:
Are you a Christian?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

RCCG Sells A Bag Of Rice At N9k To Their Members In Abuja / Does God Speak To You? How? / Impregnating Your Wife Is A Sin, Ask God For Forgiveness — Preacher Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.